The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Efficiently Using Effects On Drums
Old 12th January 2019
Gear Nut

Efficiently Using Effects On Drums

Hi all,

When using Redrum, is there a way to place effects on the unit but then selectively apply them to individual channels when wanted?

For example, I put reverb, phaser, and distortion on the whole unit. The song is playing along. I bring up the reverb on channel 9, then cut it off, then bring it up on channel 2, simultaneously adding some distortion.

There's got to be a way without separating each channel and assigning multiple effect units to each one.

Thanks,
RD
Old 2nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Make setup with send effects. Route each channel into it’s own channel strip and then add whatever send effects you need whenever you want to each channel individually.
Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear

Ideally, you WANT to have each sample run thru its own track. Instead of applying send/return effects on the sound device itself, it could perhaps benefit you to put the effect on the mixer side of things. leaving the sample dry till its added in the SSL mixer. In which, Audiomon pointed out, you would use send/return effects where you can then add as you need to which ever track in the mixer, but it only effect the channel it is applied to.

I found its nice to keep production and mixing and eqing and effects all separate stages. I do my production and add eq, filter, effects, but export bounce with no eefects what so ever, and I add them in the mix template after bouncing from midi to wav. This allows my DAW to work more efficiently.

I built a simple template, in which I can add a sample to its own track and click and drag what effects it needs on a as needed basis. I suggest you make a template too, I can share if you want.

I use reason 9.5. I Reason has areas of its processing in which is only 32 bit, where the busses are in 64 bit. So my template uses busses as a creation and mixing template. I do all my effects and mixing and eq / fltering in a full 64 bit environment!

Since I changed my later template, sound has greatly improved. I will share if I can attach to this post, I will share my basic tempalte. I do this because I have three mixer controllers for the SSL, giving me 24 channels of real faders and all that ****. IT would be a NIGHTMARE to program it every song project I wanted to work on, so this kinda forced me in to the template thing. Since I did, it has only greatly improved my sound and workflow.

I use 3x berhinger x touch compacts. I simply removed the end caps on the middle mixer and the inner ends of the outer two mixers and it literally gave me magic powers over night. Im not kidding.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 64 bit production template.zip (3.75 MB, 9 views) File Type: zip 64 bit mixing template.zip (156.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by natifix View Post
Ideally, you WANT to have each sample run thru its own track. Instead of applying send/return effects on the sound device itself, it could perhaps benefit you to put the effect on the mixer side of things. leaving the sample dry till its added in the SSL mixer. In which, Audiomon pointed out, you would use send/return effects where you can then add as you need to which ever track in the mixer, but it only effect the channel it is applied to.

I found its nice to keep production and mixing and eqing and effects all separate stages. I do my production and add eq, filter, effects, but export bounce with no eefects what so ever, and I add them in the mix template after bouncing from midi to wav. This allows my DAW to work more efficiently.

I built a simple template, in which I can add a sample to its own track and click and drag what effects it needs on a as needed basis. I suggest you make a template too, I can share if you want.

I use reason 9.5. I Reason has areas of its processing in which is only 32 bit, where the busses are in 64 bit. So my template uses busses as a creation and mixing template. I do all my effects and mixing and eq / fltering in a full 64 bit environment!

Since I changed my later template, sound has greatly improved. I will share if I can attach to this post, I will share my basic tempalte. I do this because I have three mixer controllers for the SSL, giving me 24 channels of real faders and all that ****. IT would be a NIGHTMARE to program it every song project I wanted to work on, so this kinda forced me in to the template thing. Since I did, it has only greatly improved my sound and workflow.

I use 3x berhinger x touch compacts. I simply removed the end caps on the middle mixer and the inner ends of the outer two mixers and it literally gave me magic powers over night. Im not kidding.
That thing about Reason running parts in 32-bits & others in 64-bits seems really odd, but somehow does not surprises me. The way it renders audio is also very weird : it will downsample "recorded" audio, but not audio from synths. So you cannot effectively downsample while exporting audio from Reason.

Which is why I always rewire it to Ableton.. but your templates may allow me to do that "Reason-only" project ! thanks a lot.
Old 21st April 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by natifix View Post

What ended up doing is exactly that. However, rather than routing them all to the main mixer, I insterted the 14 channel mixer from the utilities between the drum machine and the main mixer. That way, I can still insert effects to individual channels, but on the main mixer the channel just appears as "Drums" and it's a lot easier to work with.

Works for me anyway! I think the solutions in Reason are just the ones that are the most efficient for you. A buddy was over last night making suggestions, and with this setup I can respond to those suggestions immediately.

RD

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search