The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording real bass guitar with Electric Bass RE
Old 17th August 2018
Gear Head

Recording real bass guitar with Electric Bass RE

I'm new to Reason (and electric bass) and I feel I have a basic misunderstanding of the role of real instruments in Reason. I bought the new Electric Bass rack extension. I want to record using my bass. I connect the bass to my audio interface, create an audio track in Reason, and I can play/record the bass on the audio track. How then do I use the Electric Bass rack extension?

I understand that the rack extensions are designed to be played with a midi controller, but still...

I come from Logic Pro where this is very straightforward: select "Guitar or Bass" and a new track is created, all set up, with a variety of sounds to choose from. I can then use my guitar with no further fiddling.

What am I missing here?
Old 18th August 2018
Here for the gear

I play bass as well, so my interest was piqued by that Electric Bass RE, but it is strictly MIDI driven and not for audio input; unless you have a fancy Roland pickup or the like, it will only work with a keyboard controller. (In all fairness, their description of the product was pretty vague.)

Reason includes a Softube Bass Amp in Effects, so you can drag that to your audio track for a *passable* amp sim (though I'm not a fan). I'd recommend downloading the trial for Cerberus Amp (Kuassa) in the Reason shop and see if that floats your boat.

If you want to explore the VST world, I found the CLA Bass from Waves to be pretty quick and effective for a solid bass tone. The GUI looks cheap, but the presets will get you playing quickly in any genre and I haven't noticed a significant CPU drain. (they have a demo version you can try, but definitely wait for a $29/$39 USD sale if you decide to buy.)
Old 18th August 2018
Gear Head

Okay, I can stop knocking my head against the wall now. I guess I learned the difference between instruments and effects in Reason today.

I didn't pay full price for Electric Bass RE, and it may prove useful in other ways, so it's not a total loss.

CLA Bass is on sale now at Sweetwater for $39 so I will definitely look into that.

Thank you very much, nwade90, for clearing that up for me, and for the VST recommendation.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search