The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Low Reason Forum Participation - rely on Forums for Support?
Old 18th July 2018
Here for the gear
Low Reason Forum Participation - rely on Forums for Support?

A musician-producer friend recently asked me why the GS Reason Forum was so quiet. He noted that the number of Reason posts was significantly lower than the numbers for Logic, ProTools and Cubase, and that was possibly an indicator of the amount of general support Reason users could expect to receive from the broader user community (in a Forum setting).

I told him I wasn’t sure, but one possible explanation was that many Reason users don’t use GS and use forums like ReasonTalk instead.

Regardless of the answer, I’m curious how many of you rely on Forums like this (or ReasonTalk) for support? I’ve seen threads about PH support being pretty slow or backed up. So when you need help/answers ASAP, are the forums where you typically go? ...of course, that’s AFTER reading the manual, checking YouTube tutorials, etc. right?
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Maniac

I rely on any info I can get when I run into a issue. Buddy's assumption is really misleading because this sight is more about how to than it is about what you use. So I would say this site is focused on the process as a whole. Also reason just recently got the total DAW effect VST last year and only had proper recording for 5 years or so now so the majority of this sites residents have been in the game too long to have been using reason. I typically I find anything I need here that is the good thing about a process vs a how to or a routine. if you can explain how to do something in protools you can more than likely transcribe it to reason.
It is also weird because when something pops up on google that is not on here I search here for like topics. This is the site to most likely get my trust and I do search the results for thread from here lol.
Old 17th August 2018
Lives for gear

I'm a Reason user but rarely bother with the GS reason section as there's a few new threads a year max.

reddit reasoners and forum.reasontalk.com
Old 17th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.dallas View Post
A musician-producer friend recently asked me why the GS Reason Forum was so quiet. He noted that the number of Reason posts was significantly lower than the numbers for Logic, ProTools and Cubase, and that was possibly an indicator of the amount of general support Reason users could expect to receive from the broader user community (in a Forum setting).

I told him I wasn’t sure, but one possible explanation was that many Reason users don’t use GS and use forums like ReasonTalk instead.

Regardless of the answer, I’m curious how many of you rely on Forums like this (or ReasonTalk) for support? I’ve seen threads about PH support being pretty slow or backed up. So when you need help/answers ASAP, are the forums where you typically go? ...of course, that’s AFTER reading the manual, checking YouTube tutorials, etc. right?
It's great to see the Reason sub-forum here on Gearslutz: I think most chat is about new or existing Rack Extensions (a bit less since VST implementation) and updates/new versions. There is a lot of great 'how-to' stuff available on other sites.
I think Reason has reached a critical point in it's evolution where it is a stable system and TBH I'm usually too busy using Reason to discuss it.
The most passionate, busy Reason threads on GS relate to suggestions for improvements (and arguments about that).
A lot better than the old Propellerheads forum though
Old 17th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck.dallas View Post

Can only speak for myself, but Reason gives me no problems and the user manual explains everything perfectly, so no real reason to hang around any Reason forums. Plus Propellerhead is doing a great job with the updates, so no need to nag about things I want added in the next update. There is enough to keep me busy producing new tunes.
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

i tend to go where im welcomed... the content or material hardly has anything to do with it. i enjoy both reason talk and gear slutz but i dont use it often and keep forgetting my old logins...
Old 21st September 2018
Gear Head

Only use for support

I only use GS for support. Generally, I don't have any problems with Reason in and of itself. Issues I previously had was integrating gear with Reason. I purchased the Orion Studio Rev 2017 a couple of months back and had a hard time figuring out how to incorporate the plug-ins in the Orion into my Reason's environment. One thing that I don't like about GS is you don't get much responses if your using software or gear that most of the user's in the forum are not using. Also, I found that if the complexity of your question is somewhat beginner or intermediate level, you will receive responses that are more discouraging than helpful.

Anyway, as a Reason user I find that it's best to go to Propellerhead's website and submit an email via the support section. They normally answer within 24 hours and all replies remain in your user account. That's how I got the answer I was looking for. I shared it on GS for any other Orion or Antelope Audio Interface users to refer to.

MDD
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Head

I'm a long-time lurker who's just joined GS and I've used Reason since 1.0. Personally, I miss the old Prop forums and the old friends I had there but as has already been mentioned, by version 10 Reason runs so reliably I haven't needed support. I joined mainly to share and receive feedback on new tracks and make some new friends too.
Old 22nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole View Post
I'm a long-time lurker who's just joined GS and I've used Reason since 1.0. Personally, I miss the old Prop forums and the old friends I had there but as has already been mentioned, by version 10 Reason runs so reliably I haven't needed support. I joined mainly to share and receive feedback on new tracks and make some new friends too.
Welcome to Gearslutz poole
I agree with your comments about reliability; also been using since v1. A few tricky years around v3 and 4 but I feel fortunate to have such great software available. Still getting some (too) high CPU hits using VST's like uHe Bazille and some Arturia synths but that may be my 10-year old PC.
Best, Arthur
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Welcome to Gearslutz poole
I agree with your comments about reliability; also been using since v1. A few tricky years around v3 and 4 but I feel fortunate to have such great software available. Still getting some (too) high CPU hits using VST's like uHe Bazille and some Arturia synths but that may be my 10-year old PC.
Best, Arthur
I've noticed the Roland plugins draw more of a CPU hit in Reason than Ableton so the Reason implementation of VST must be less efficient. :/
Old 22nd September 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole View Post
I've noticed the Roland plugins draw more of a CPU hit in Reason than Ableton so the Reason implementation of VST must be less efficient. :/
I have that MonoPoly RE and it's not too bad. I think it was a brave move implementing VST in Reason's stable ecosystem but despite the current CPU hits I think Propellerhead will smooth it out eventually (based on their past performance). I'd love to see a video track.

Which Roland plug-ins do you use?
Old 22nd September 2018
I find there's more interaction with the company itself on social media sites like Facebook than on forums. ReasonTalk is alright and active, but I find even though there's content there it's a relatively small group of individuals doing all the posting and unfortunately some of the loudest are the least informed, I also had some technical problems with the site that put me off.

Gearslutz I think has a community that tends to look down on Reason. Which is interesting in it's own right, personally I love Reason just don't love the poor performance in recent versions, and it could do with some workflow improvements which thankfully appear to be on the cards based on recent announcements. Regardless of what people here feel about Reason though I still feel that the community as a whole is more helpful in general terms when talking about techniques and gear than most other places, there's a lot of brains to pick, and a lot of this stuff is general info and knowleddge that translates between every DAW and workflow. Just remember that the DAW is less important than the people using it.
Old 22nd September 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Which Roland plug-ins do you use?
System-1, ProMars and Juno 106 (which is fine on my desktop but a little too heavy for my notebook).
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

It's easier and more beneficial to go to Reasontalk where most of the powerusers, developers and Props. themselves hang. Actually, I would like if all of Reasontalk was here instead, but with that you get the headache of whiners who wan't to spew about how superior some other DAW is while everyone else is just trying to learn how to do a simple task or discuss their workflow methods in search of improvements.
Check out any Protools forum on GS and count the PT sucks type of posts as compared to those which are helpful....no thanks, i'm trying to increase my capabilities and understanding and help when I can. Not interested in a DAW war.
Old 12th October 2018
Lives for gear

I love Reason, but their support team takes a while, also take into account for the time difference as they are in Sweden. Sweden also has weird work hours, and different holidays so on and so on. I love their team though, had a few hiccups but in the end they come out smelling like a white mushroom.

Also, Reasontalk is the place to be...that forum can help with just about anything, and they have a chatroom also which is always populated with atleast 5 people at all times...*from my experience*

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search