The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Issues adjusting instrument volumes when bouncing audio
Old 19th May 2018
Gear Nut

Issues adjusting instrument volumes when bouncing audio

What's up G S fam,

I purchase reason 10 last year, and I'm grateful, and love that we are now able to use vsts inside of the apparatus. I just have one dislike about the new setup.

Sometimes when I use the new VST modules, no matter how much I turn up the master audio on some sounds the signal just is not high enough. I don't know if that's because of the new mixer and reason. Is it a way to deactivate this mixer. Or an alternative to make these signals higher. I turn up the master volume inside some of the sounds and they just don't reach past halfway or reach the yellow on a mixer sometimes. Not all sounds but some. And it is aggravating, and very annoying.
Old 17th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
What's up G S fam,

I purchase reason 10 last year, and I'm grateful, and love that we are now able to use vsts inside of the apparatus. I just have one dislike about the new setup.

Sometimes when I use the new VST modules, no matter how much I turn up the master audio on some sounds the signal just is not high enough. I don't know if that's because of the new mixer and reason. Is it a way to deactivate this mixer. Or an alternative to make these signals higher. I turn up the master volume inside some of the sounds and they just don't reach past halfway or reach the yellow on a mixer sometimes. Not all sounds but some. And it is aggravating, and very annoying.
There are many ways to address this issue. PM me, I’ll help you figure out the best way to get your mix levels working for you.

By the way, if people start yelling about meter calibration, headroom, gain staging, “mixing with your eyes not ears” and all that ignore them. Reason is a bit different compared to other DAWs concerning these things, so when you PM me we’ll check and make sure you have your metering on lock.
Old 2nd August 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasPalermo View Post
By the way, if people start yelling about meter calibration, headroom, gain staging, “mixing with your eyes not ears” and all that ignore them. Reason is a bit different compared to other DAWs concerning these things, so when you PM me we’ll check and make sure you have your metering on lock.
How is metering different? (no flame I want to be in the know)
Old 19th August 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontaBlack View Post
What's up G S fam,

Hey man! Hope its not too late to chime in my thoughts? Have you watched this video yet?

YouTube

Just curious if you know this ^...

Anyway, to avoid writing a book,

tl;dr:

each stage has its limits and you should not push them. gradually increase the gain thru stages you save as you re sample and parallel process your samples. you cant just go from 0 to 100 mph... you actually have to go 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. ... and so on till you get to 100.

hope that makes sense. theres a few good books on mixing by bob katz for example, you can google pdf mixing books and mastering books and get the best books for free basically. Ive got like dozens I still havent read myself.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/7clH6A.png

There is a lot to say on this topic and its hard to pin point what you need to know to improve so Id say this.

Create a template of not only your saved settings in a mixer or rack etc. but in the mind as a work flow.

you have stages of music production. make sure you are incorporating the important pieces of the puzzle here. raw mix, pre mix, mix, and maybe even post mix if you are like me.

It takes layers, and saving them, and re sampling, gain staging, parallel processing, subtle effects where needed only, and maintaining a bit of headroom to get that sound you want at that level you really can only imagine listening to.

idk how to explain my process. Im still formulating it! lol. but I will attempt to run down the highlights

sound design - i the rack - find the sound i want, assign it to a track in the mixer shown below. kick goes to channel 01 - 08 all the way to the left, bass channel 09 - 16, melodies and such channel 17 - 24.

buss 01 mainly deals with striking sounds like drums, or impact sounds, etc.

buss 02 mainly deals with lower and mid freq, multiple bass objects etc.

buss 03 mainly deals with the highs and melodies, vocals, etc.

Reason is, I like to set the buss to control the majority of the same mechanism of samples. synths be synths, drums be drums, and bass be bass.

raw mix gets me the mix at unity with no eq or filter or dynamics. its literally just a raw mix.

In the pre mix stage, I add filter, eq, dynamics, level and balance. the whole part of mixing is not to get it as loud as you can but to get it as CLEAN as you can at a respectable level, where its in balance with the rest of the samples.

My pre mix stages produces a mix that plays something to the accord of -12 db ... now try putting that in your cd player or ipod. lol... would be way to quite for most!

the pre mix Im only seeking to cut the tonal characters of each sample and get the balance between all samples near abouts where they sound good.

In the mix stage I add dynamics and any buss effects, parallel processing, etc. I will run over stage one and two again and into three saving it as a .mix

Then I take that product with about -8 db headroom ... and hardly any compression or maximizing yet! just a limiter but again we are way below 0db anyway still!

Its in the post mix, where I take the mix and bounce it from how ever many samples or tracks into two stereo tracks and add the effects in ozone 8, bring it up to near 0 db. I will add compression to the liking and make it clip a little, by about 2 db and then note the rms of the signal. I should be around where the green meter turns yellow in the master out. Once I get here, I will turn down the mix to give me the headroom I need for mastering, and again I tend to stick to -8 db here.

Mastering phase, pre master and post master. each have their own settings and duty. their own effects as well

Here I will run a limiter and eq suit, dynamics suit, and a maximizer, maybe a gain meter as well, or two or three of them in my case.

I just work it out to where it sounds how I want. I slowly, inch out the headroom to be precise. I reach for 0db and use a combination of my windows output meter and my reason rms and peak meter to debate how much more I need to push it, usually 2 db more for mixes that get squished for soundcloud. I test compare on my phone to make sure my mids and highs are not too high and that there is a distinguishable kick sound as well. the phone and headphones, and my studio, is all I have to reference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search