The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why isn't synthesis and sampling combined in Reason yet?
Old 11th March 2018
Here for the gear

Why isn't synthesis and sampling combined in Reason yet?

I always created sounds from scratch with Subtractor. Never sounded as good as sampled instruments though! Thus, I exported raw synth sounds and drums, then continued editing in NNXT. By setting sample start, they got that missing sharp click and my desired synchronized feel. Not to mention a surprise keyboard tracking effect where lower notes got less fidelity and higher ones got brighter. It's not for everyone's tastes though, but that can be helped with a lot of multi sampling extra work. Anyway, this is just a fraction of what possibilities it opens. Clearly there's the effect where you duplicate your sample and offset their pitch, resulting in that delicious retro, thick, colorful effect. Or when you invert the phase of the duplicate(s), getting a thinning effect. Then multiplication, where you set the sample start differently for one of two (or more) samples, and again the opposite with an inverted phase, resulting in subtraction effect, just like on Subtractor!

Done with the back story, I wonder, why isn't there a synthesizer yet which would work just like that? With a generator-level and then a sampling level. One that would take care of all the hassle and resurrect some of those very powerful, long lost effects? Yes, I heard of Europa and Grain. But not only are they different, but also separate. (I do droll over the phase and ringing-free filter in Europa (seems to be the perfect filter that beats FIR and IIR), but I don't understand why that isn't possible for sampled sounds - even if it can't be done live.) What would be wrong with an ultimate synthesizer? There always are the ones with a lot of features, but not an all-in-one solution that combines everything.
Old 26th December 2018
Not sure I understand but the complexity and under the hood possibilities in Reason are endless. Familiar with Combinator? Combine Thor with NNXT. Just a start.
Old 2nd March 2019
Here for the gear

Just connect the synt you want to sample to the “sampling inputs” on the back of the I/O module and you can hit the “sample” button on any sampler device and record directly that synth.
Old 6th April 2019
Here for the gear

The gran sample manipulator is new and pretty cool... may be what you are looking for?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search