The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason 10 Digital Piano MIDI latency
Old 6th January 2018
Here for the gear

Reason 10 Digital Piano MIDI latency

Hello there, so I just downloaded the Reason 10 trial to test the program out. It's the first DAW I've tried so I'm pretty new to stuff like this.

My issue is as I stated in the title that I get pretty bad latency when I use my digital piano to play stuff. The actual sound comes right after I pressed piano key down, so it's very frustrating to play. It's practically impossible to play with metronome on. I've also noticed that the midi notes in the sequencer are delayed by the same amount, so it's not just the sound that is delayed.

My specs are:
Yamaha Digital Piano P-105 connected to the PC with a USB to Host cable. (I've downloaded the newest drivers from yamaha's website for my pc to pick up the MIDI signal)
Windows 10 64-bit
Reason 10 newest version
Sound Blaster Z soundcard with newest drivers (My headset is connected through the SPDIF input, and I'm using the Dolby Digital Live encoder to simulate "surround" sound with my headset.)
16gb of RAM

What I've tried to do so far: First thing I did in Reason 10 was to make sure the Audio card driver was set to "ASIO Creative SBZ Series ASIO", since I've heard that ASIO is the best way to negate latency. I messed around with Recording latency compensation, but didn't notice any difference at all.

To begin with there was like half a second latency, but I went into the Control Panel inside Reason 10 under Preferences > Audio > Control Panel and turned the Creative SBZ Series ASIO latency to 2 ms. This made the latency ALOT better, but it's still very noticable.

I also tried isntalling ASIO4ALL, but I noticed no difference and I've heard bad things about that, so I uninstalled it.

I've also tried to go into the Sync tab under preferences and choose my digital piano as the Input and Output for MIDI clock sync, and played around with the offset there aswell, but that didn't do anything either.

I've looked around on forums for people with similar setups as me and similar issues, but what works for them does not work for me, so now I'm pretty lost.

Would be amazing if someone here could help me. Appriciate any help!
Old 12th January 2018
Reason needs a better audio card but Asio 4 all might do wonders, nothing wrong with that.
Old 12th January 2018
Here for the gear

Preferences => Audio => Lower the Buffer Size
Old 8th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitleyTM View Post
Reason needs a better audio card but Asio 4 all might do wonders, nothing wrong with that.
Drivers for that card were awful. Even something like a low end focusrite will be better.
Old 9th February 2018

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search