The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Upgrading from Reason 2.5
Old 23rd November 2017
Here for the gear

Upgrading from Reason 2.5

Hi all. First GS post here (minus introductions). So I've been using Reason 2.5 since '05 for all of my own songs and over 10 contract projects. But as I near completion of my 1st solo album, and with Black Friday looming, I am thinking more about upgrading to a newer version/DAW.

I have a couple of questions (I did search the forums pretty extensively). The main one is if I upgrade to Reason 10 (I know it hasn't been out long), would my "old" song files actually sound better as a result or would there be minimal or no sound quality improvements because they were originally saved/encoded using such an old version?

I've never really been completely set on getting the newest version, whatever that was at the time. But since I only ever see the most current version available new, it doesn't seem like there's any alternatives. Anyone know of a legit place to get say 8 or 9 new still?

Thanks so much!
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Head

The old songs will sound exactly the same.

The devices that have had quality improvements all have a switch to turn on/off the high quality and if you open an old song it will default to "off" for compatibility sake.

I think a Reason 10 license allows for using older versions if you want, but if you're dead set on getting an older version then I guess your best bet is to get a second hand license or maybe check some shops if they have older boxes still available.
Old 23rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Man, 2.5? For $99 for the update what do you have to lose?
Old 24th November 2017
Here for the gear

@ PeterP_swe , @ kslight - thank you both for your input. I definitely prefer to get Reason 10. There is one main potential hurdle for me there though -- the recommended system reqs. Propellerhead lists Win 10, 8 gigs of ram, and an audio interface w/ ASIO drivers. My newest PC has Win 7, 6 gigs of ram, and IDT High Definition Audio (integrated), which I've read usually doesnt support ASIO. (I also started reading about asio4all, but it sounds like most have problems with it). I meet the min. system requirements -- minus my audio interface I assume -- pretty easily, but yea, that's my main concern.
Old 24th November 2017
Gear Head

They have always said that they require an ASIO driver, even for Reason 2.5.

In reality it's not actually needed to run Reason. Same with the RAM requirement.

Without an ASIO driver you will get higher latency if you're playing a midi keyboard live or record guitars. But it may be perfectly fine if you mostly write songs with step/matrix sequencers or pattern lanes.

If you have less than 8GB RAM then it's going to be problematic if you load large sample libraries, Windows will probably start swapping on your harddrive. But if you mostly use the built-in synths then it's, again, probably perfectly Ok.

The best approach is probably to download a demo of Reason10 and see how it runs on your computer.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Try the demo first, seriously.

Jumping from 2.5 to any version after 6 is a leap in itself, and i don't see any real purpose to not go 10 if you are thinking about i.e. 8.

But do try the demo. You cannot open saved projects (or try REs), but everything else is fully functional afaik.
Old 25th November 2017
Here for the gear

All great advice. And I didn't know about the demo. So helpful. I'm gonna cue that up this morning, and can report back later. Thanks again!
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

holy crap!!!!!! you brain is gonna explode!!!!!!!!!

you btter gt a few youtube tutorials to give an over veiw on the new instruments....you could probably get a used "ignight!" book on reason 6 or something and get up to speed.
Old 18th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicEye View Post
Hi all. First GS post here (minus introductions). So I've been using Reason 2.5 since '05 for all of my own songs and over 10 contract projects. But as I near completion of my 1st solo album, and with Black Friday looming, I am thinking more about upgrading to a newer version/DAW.

I have a couple of questions (I did search the forums pretty extensively). The main one is if I upgrade to Reason 10 (I know it hasn't been out long), would my "old" song files actually sound better as a result or would there be minimal or no sound quality improvements because they were originally saved/encoded using such an old version?

I've never really been completely set on getting the newest version, whatever that was at the time. But since I only ever see the most current version available new, it doesn't seem like there's any alternatives. Anyone know of a legit place to get say 8 or 9 new still?

Thanks so much!
Hey! Stefan from Propellerhead here. I can recommend having a look at our YouTube channel if you want tutorials and videos on how to get going with Reason. YouTube

Also, feel free to hit us up on your preferred social channel if you have any quick questions! I'll probably be the one there to answer.
Old 19th February 2018
Here for the gear

@ PeterP_swe , @ kslight , @ eXode , - sorry for the reply delay; been really busy but wanted to update you on trying out the Reason 10 demo. It ran really smoothly on my rig so my wife was able to take advantage of the holiday savings and get it for me for my 1 Xmas gift . Thanks again for the tip.
Old 19th February 2018
Here for the gear

@ sleeper1400 , @ StupidDream - Thank you both for the suggestions . From the limited time I've been able to use 10 so far, most everything has been gelling for me. But I'm sure as I get deeper into it, I'll prob. need some tips, so those will be good.
Old 19th February 2018
Lives for gear

Welcome to the fold!
Old 20th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicEye View Post
@ PeterP_swe , @ kslight , @ eXode , - sorry for the reply delay; been really busy but wanted to update you on trying out the Reason 10 demo. It ran really smoothly on my rig so my wife was able to take advantage of the holiday savings and get it for me for my 1 Xmas gift . Thanks again for the tip.
Great to hear that!

Cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search