The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reason 10 Announcement
Old 22nd September 2017
Reason 10 Announcement

I just received an email and saw on youtube channel the trailer to Reason 10 !

I have to admit it's exciting ... but what matters more to me is if it will be supporting the UAD Plugins because I am on 9.5 and it's unworkable whenever I initiate instances of UAD ... any thoughts on this ?
Old 22nd September 2017
Here for the gear

Isn't it a bit ironic that after opening their "ecosystem" first with Rack Extensions and more recently with (limited) VST support the new "major" update brings more...devices? I'll for sure will be skipping this one and waiting patiently for a serious workflow/sequencer overhaul and a GUI that is usable on high-res screens.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

I too wanted a workflow update. I love reason but the workflow still does not work for me. I am really quite disappointed. When the announcement said it was the biggest release ever, I did not think it was mainly going to be more instruments and sounds??

Despite my love for Reason, I sometimes think Propellerhead lives in a bit of a bubble, coming up with lots of genius interesting tools without looking outside and seeing what is going on. Due to the previous lack of VST compatibility, many of us used Reason in Rewire mode with something else and as a result, we acquired a ton of instruments and sounds elsewhere. Quite simply, over the years of Propellerheads delivering 9 Reason releases, more sounds is definitely not what is needed. This is an anti-climax.

If the workflow had of been dramatically revised, I would have been standing in a queue to get hold of this. Finally a DAW that supports VST's, has an amazing array of tools for production and mixing and has a workflow I can adapt to my needs. I really thought that propellerhead would break the mould and come up with a DAW UI that you can configure to the way you want it to be in a way the others can't. I still struggle with this rack for everything concept and was hoping that they would have introduced a rack per channel or even a modular approach to the mixer where you could swap out the dynamics to a different type and the eq for a different type and the buss compressor for a different type and create your own custom mixer. That would have been interesting.

I would have also loved some theme overhauls, for those of us that love the functionality of reason but not the cartoon look / theme. Perhaps they could have opened up the themes to allow others to put something different forward. It is a nice feature of Reaper.

I will wait for Reason 11 to see what comes and will get this included for the same price then anyway.

Despite all this, I still LOVE reason and remain a convert from PT and Cubase

Last edited by dxavier; 22nd September 2017 at 02:11 PM..
Old 22nd September 2017
v10 looks good for me. Some nice fresh sounds and instruments. Nice one Props!
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

I'm just hoping they do the pay what you want upgrade again because I'm poor. lol
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Nice! I just ordered the boxed upgrade from 4 on Weds and get it today and anyone that's bought it since September 1st gets 10 for free.

I usually miss the timing on those things.

For me, as someone that is new to the Reason "ecosystem" that now seems to exist built around the prop shop, this addition of content and tools is very welcome.
Old 22nd September 2017
Yeaah. I upgraded 8th August :(

Still, some new synths and larger sound palette...the Vox and World instruments look interesting.
Old 22nd September 2017
Think of it like getting a nice RE bundle and it's a pretty decent deal. Two very cool synths, some nice FX and VI's and a massive library of samples for $129, not bad all in all. And if 9 was anything to go by then the point level updates you'll get for free along with that during the 10 cycle may well add a bunch of workflow features.
Old 23rd September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
v10 looks good for me. Some nice fresh sounds and instruments. Nice one Props!
Hell yes! I was waitng for some new instruments. They hooked up with Sound Iron. I wish they would of put Elysium Harps in that.
Old 23rd September 2017
I don't get why they still haven't updated the whole GUI to be hd/retina-compatible. It's seriously blurry and just so hard to read, especially the mixer and the rack. RE have supposedly also been submitted by dev's since the beginning as high-res/vector graphics too, why are they still waiting ? It'll be 2018 soon. Hello ??

Workflow is still kind of a mess. Oh well.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

I am still finding major issues with the current version... Some could call it feature requests, though.
Quantization, transposing in Arranger, mute individual notes. I still don't understand why quantizing doesn't work for me sometimes.
How about preference to always open devices in HQ mode? There is literally so many things that could still go in to Reason. I have to admit I like some of the recent features added like the chords and arpeggio input device.

Last edited by wakestyle; 26th September 2017 at 04:13 AM..
Old 28th September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
I am still finding major issues with the current version... Some could call it feature requests, though.
Quantization, transposing in Arranger, mute individual notes. I still don't understand why quantizing doesn't work for me sometimes.
How about preference to always open devices in HQ mode? There is literally so many things that could still go in to Reason. I have to admit I like some of the recent features added like the chords and arpeggio input device.
Quantise works the way it always has. But maybe it doesn’t work the way you expect, like how in Logic you have a few more different quantise strength options?

Which Reason devices don’t open in HQ mode? The Native devices all do.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Bechara View Post
I just received an email and saw on youtube channel the trailer to Reason 10 !

I have to admit it's exciting ... but what matters more to me is if it will be supporting the UAD Plugins because I am on 9.5 and it's unworkable whenever I initiate instances of UAD ... any thoughts on this ?
Don't understand why they didn't do hardly any workflow enhancements.

It seems to me that the VST support (with PDC) was supposed to be released in 10 (which would have made it the biggest upgrade) but they decided to release it in 9.5.

I'm guessing that they knew there would be performance issues that a beta probably wouldn't resolve so they released it early to try to iron out the performance issues because there are thousands of VSTS that a beta wouldn't catch.

VST support with new synths, sounds would have had users happy (or at least most).

But there seems to be a lot of upset users since no workflow enhancements were mentioned.

Just new synths and sounds seems kind of small for a version 10 IMO.
Old 19th October 2017
I agree and it totally looks like a weak update. I haven’t seen this myself but the new synths apparently have a .repatch (or such) file name extension and it means that they’re actually RE and not real native synths. I don’t really care about that but it really looks like they haven’t done much, if any work on the core program.

They won’t be getting my money until they adress the poor graphics resolution and improve performance, Reason is really struggling badly right now. It used to be a vert efficient DAW.
Old 19th October 2017
Nothing mentioned on improved VST stability ?
Old 19th October 2017
I liked the choirs (Vox?) and Klang instrument on the livestream video; the synths look interesting too. Been with Reason since v1 and I'm familiar with it now. It's amazing how far it has come; I take it for granted sometimes but its seved me well over the years.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend View Post
Quantise works the way it always has. But maybe it doesn’t work the way you expect, like how in Logic you have a few more different quantise strength options?

Which Reason devices don’t open in HQ mode? The Native devices all do.
Ya, quantization in Reason is pretty bad. Probably because I'm used to Cubase. But I have run into some strange issues where I can't quantize, I'm still trying to figure it out and make a repro - but there is no point because Propellerheads doesn't have bug-report support anymore (afaik).
An issue like midi notes are joined and only the first note quantizes, and I've had to quantize each note at a time.

edit:update on quantizing
seems that you can't just enable quantize and expect notes you are dragging around will snap to the grid - In cubase this is called relative quantize - I can't seem to turn it off!

Last edited by wakestyle; 25th October 2017 at 12:02 AM..
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Today is the day, I am getting my R10 today, I can't wait to down load it, that dam thing is good! Thank you Propellerheads for this. Now I can dig in to new sounds and play with the new modules and Radical Piano. The way I produce in this thing is heaven sent.
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I liked the choirs (Vox?) and Klang instrument on the livestream video; the synths look interesting too. Been with Reason since v1 and I'm familiar with it now. It's amazing how far it has come; I take it for granted sometimes but its seved me well over the years.
The Klang is nice, I love that it has its own reverb on it, and it sounds dope!
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
The Klang is nice, I love that it has its own reverb on it, and it sounds dope!
Yes. It does sound very dope; I'm thinking about running some Klang samples through the Grain too. Heh, heh :D
Just got an email announcing release of v10 at 129 euros...not too bad for an extended musical palette. Maybe buy for myself for Xmas.
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes. It does sound very dope; I'm thinking about running some Klang samples through the Grain too. Heh, heh :D
Just got an email announcing release of v10 at 129 euros...not too bad for an extended musical palette. Maybe buy for myself for Xmas.
Did you use that grain yet? OMG! that thing is crazy, WTF is Propellerheads smoking? LOL This is amazing!

Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave east View Post
Did you use that grain yet? OMG! that thing is crazy, WTF is Presonus smoking? LOL This is amazing!

Yeah. Looks good. haven't used Grain yet...just dreaming ahead of time. Not sure what Presonus smoke but it will be high-quality for sure
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yeah. Looks good. haven't used Grain yet...just dreaming ahead of time. Not sure what Presonus smoke but it will be high-quality for sure
Lmao lol they smoking moon rock laced with kush lol

This is the biggest update.

People say 9.5 was. Nope. This is, l'm use to the same VSTi that l have. Not use to having new synths and sampler plus Radical pianos for free is the best. And what these things can do is crazy. I'm loving it.
Old 27th October 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshin111 View Post
Isn't it a bit ironic that after opening their "ecosystem" first with Rack Extensions and more recently with (limited) VST support the new "major" update brings more...devices? I'll for sure will be skipping this one and waiting patiently for a serious workflow/sequencer overhaul and a GUI that is usable on high-res screens.
Yes I just bought the reason 10 upgrade (haven't used reason seriously since 6.5). And the No1 thing that reason now needs is a scalable GUI for use on big 4k screens. The icons etc are all tiny & fiddly on my monitor now.
Old 14th November 2017
My growing list of frustrations with Reason:

1. Reason is more of a CPU hog than all my other DAWs . It slows down using only a few instruments/VSTs. This is since 9.5 mostly.
2. It is annoying having a bunch of windows open up (sometimes 3 at once) when loading songs, on top of the already opened ones. Do it like Ableton, have the previous one close - besides, Reason cannot handle having 2 songs open at once, it craps out.
3. The BYPASS should be a button not a switch I have to pull up and down with the mouse. It is also WAY TOO SMALL (see below)
4. The GUI is still on Windows XP. Come on Propellerheads, your devices are minuscule on hi-res devices. Need to make them adjustable to high resolution screens.
5. Auto routing. Some devices, like that Panda Sequencer - whatever it's called is basically made to route each of it's 16 gates to each of Kong's 16 gates. Having to do this every time is tedious, and I know I can use a Combinator to save it as a preset, but I don't want to use a Combinator. There should be a way auto-route those cables to where they need to go between two devices. Same with Redrum and Kong.
6. more to come!
Old 16th November 2017
I bought the 10 upgrade because I've used Reason since the very first version and can't bear the thought of letting it go; however, I can't see myself using it any more unless these items are addressed::

1) VST performance is pretty terrible.
2) One huge rack for all devices is not practical. (I love how Studio One handles instrument/effect chains.)
3) Needs simultaneous multi-track MIDI editor. (Cubase is the best at this.)
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Does anyone have the Reason 10 version history of bug fixes? Still on 9 and I regularly run in to bugs with it.
Old 8th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
Does anyone have the Reason 10 version history of bug fixes? Still on 9 and I regularly run in to bugs with it.
You can see the release notes here: Release notes | Reason | Propellerhead

If you're experiencing any bugs in Reason, please shoot an email to [email protected] describing your problem.

Thanks.
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Guru

so many people moaning about lack of workflow but not one person has put forward any exact ideas or suggestions..?? personally I love everything about the simple flow that exists now, just what exactly are you guys wanting..?
Old 8th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz View Post
so many people moaning about lack of workflow but not one person has put forward any exact ideas or suggestions..?? personally I love everything about the simple flow that exists now, just what exactly are you guys wanting..?
Simple markers (rather than blocks); also a video track and scalable size on screen. I'd also like them to remove the Alihoopa button from the transport panel or be able to hide it; it definitely detracts from workflow.

Minor quibbles. I've used Reason since ReBirth and its taken me a long way: it does some sonic things very well and it has a good creative workspace. I've noticed a bit more CPU hike and slowness loading VST's (on a 10-year old i7 with 6GB RAM) but IMHO it'll take a couple of versions to smooth out (as it did around V4 and when RE's came in). We naysayers did warn of this when there was a frenzy for VST's over the closed system...and now you got what you wanted eh? (Not aimed at you fiddlestickz or anyone in particular).

That said it's great running 3rd party stuff in Reason (once it loads) e.g. Uhe Bazille (maxxing CPU) and Softube Console 1.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search