The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Reason 9.5 update has VST support
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Nut

New Reason 9.5 update has VST support

The new Reason 9.5 update which will be released at the end of May will support VST plugins. This is great news. I am a Reason 8 user but I have held off from buying the Reason 9 update until now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmxrTNgO0rU
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
So their business model has failed ?
They managed to stay in business with that business model for 17 years, though, lots of companies don't make that.

I wonder (hope) they're using sandboxing, and preferably everything's 64-bit only.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Hmmm. Always loved Reason but moved away from it due to the VST thing. Is now the time to try it again?

Is it?
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear
This is great news I guess.. But why now? Why not 15 years ago?
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

Hell is freezing!

Great
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
So their business model has failed ?
Nope, they are expanding :-)

This is very good news for everyone who is using Reason professionally (less bouncing, no need to switch DAWs b/c you need plugin xyz for a certain sound).

It also means that it finally becomes possible to pipe audio generated by custom, "in-house" prototype synths directly into all the wonderful RE based FX chains
(just need to write a VST that can receive audio via local network, should be easy).

To be honest, I always thought that it was more likely for hell to freeze over. Maybe their new investors had a say in this ? Anyways, really good news !

From a technical point of view, I have no doubt that the plugins will be wrapped in separate processes so they cannot compromise Reason's stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 View Post
Hell is freezing!
heh :D you beat me to it
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 View Post
Maybe their new investors had a say in this ? Anyways, really good news !
Nope, they started working on it before the whole investors thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsp804 View Post
From a technical point of view, I have no doubt that the plugins will be wrapped in separate processes so they cannot compromise Reason's stability.
Quote from Reason product manager over at KvR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anosou
Quote:
Originally Posted by troxx
With regards to concerns of vst's crashing and losing projects in Reason, which was one of the reasons it was never implemented, I surmise Propellerhead are using some sort of container similar to Bitwig, whereby the container contains the vst instance crash?
It's not quite as clever and advanced as Bitwig to be perfectly honest, they did a great job with that. VSTs are not running in completely separate processes if I understand it correctly (but I'm no dev), however we do try to catch as many crashes as we can and prevent that VST from touching anything. It works similarly as REs. Works well from my testing so far, but wonky things could potentially still crash.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear
I guess this is good bye Pro Tools. I only really used it to mix with Slate and Valhalla plugins and occasionally record some sounds from Reaktor. Now I can do it all in Reason.

Last edited by AJ Reynolds; 28th April 2017 at 12:09 PM..
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomized View Post
This is great news I guess.. But why now? Why not 15 years ago?
Because they had their own creative "ecosystem" and they wanted to capitalize on that. Even their "rack extensions" showed us that they wanted to have full control of everything.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Head

It's like cats and dogs living together...
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

woooHOOOOO.. I just upgraded to 9.2 as well, this is great news.

Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

i would take old Reason lic if someone want to give it away
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear
wow about time, might dust off the box and upgrade!
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

cool video too..

Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Hopefully the vst's are kept in a bubble and don't fully integrate with Reason as it's so stable I'd hate to think introducing them would make the software less stable and flaky now..
Old 28th April 2017
Can and anyone be so kind as to recommend their favorite vsts? I only use reason so I rarely use vsts and don't keep up to date with what's hot.
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'd like to say a few words about why I like Reason and why it is my number one DAW (TBH: the only one that ever really made sense to me):
  • the skeuomorphic approach to synths / FX and their ease of use.
  • the fact that it works very much like the HW rack that is sitting right next to my computer (and beyond that: CV and the "combinator"!)
  • its great MIDI (input) capabilities. For example, you can set the audio buffers to large values and the timing will still be on point.
  • the (almost) window-less UI
  • the license system: no need to deal with myriads of 3rd party authorizers -- it just works.
  • its stability. I've been using it for years now and it never crashed, never lost any work.
(yeah, my little love letter to PH, we should probably get a room, *lol*)
Old 28th April 2017
Definitley a good move from Propellerhead, It will help many get track their tracks done and sent to us for mastering

ST Mastering - Pro Online Audio Mastering
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Reason 9.5 FAQ

When is it coming?
Reason 9.5 is currently in beta testing and the final release will be on May 29th 2017!

How much is it?
If you own Reason 9, then the new version is a free update. Any purchase of the Reason 9 upgrade or Reason 9 full version will get you Reason 9.5 when it’s released, for free.

How do I get it?
Do you own Reason 9? In that case, just let Reason download the update when it’s available on May 29th. Otherwise, just buy Reason or upgrade to Reason 9 now, and get the updated version for free on May 29th.

Can I beta test?
If you own Reason 9 or Reason Essentials 9, we’d be happy if you help us test Reason 9.5. You can sign up here.

Now that Reason has VST support, will you kill the Rack Extension technology?
Absolutely not! Reason now supports two plugin formats and Rack Extensions will remain a key Reason technology. In fact, combining VSTs and Rack Extensions open up fantastic music making possibilities! Having VSTs in the rack will let us focus our development of the Rack Extension platform even more.

Will Reason 9.5 support all VST plugins?
Reason’s VST implementation is based on VST 2.4. Any 2.4 compliant instrument or effect plugin (that’s just about every VST out there) will work in Reason.

Can I use VSTs with other Reason devices?
Sure! In that regard, there is no difference between VSTs and other Reason devices. Play them with Players, put them in combinators, add Reason effects, patch audio and CV to them - just like you always do in Reason. The only difference is that the VST plugins open in a separate window.

How are VSTs used in Reason 9.5?
Reason will find any VST plugin that you have installed on your computer. The VST plugins can then be found among Reason’s own devices and Rack Extensions in the browser. Drag your desired instrument or effect to the rack and it’s there! VST plugins live inside the new plugin host device in the rack. This is where you can route audio and CV and open the plugin’s own window.

How does the delay compensation work?
Some effects in a signal chain will introduce delay in the timing. With the delay compensation on, Reason will calculate the total delay in each signal path and adjust the timing of each discrete signal path accordingly, to assure perfectly timed, phase correct playback. The adjustment is automatic but can also be set manually for each mixer channel.

What about stability? Will Reason be less stable now?
We've implemented a limited crash protection system for VSTs that means we attempt to detect crashes in the VST and prevent the plugin from crashing Reason. Since VST plugins are third-party code, it is still possible to experience problems with plugins. Keep in mind that our VST support in Reason in itself doesn't make the application less stable if you don't have or use any VST plugins.

What are the system requirements?
The minimum requirements are listed below. Please note that using third party plugins can require significantly higher performance, and that some third party plugins come with different minimum requirements than these.

Mac OS X:
Fast, stable internet connection for installation and registration required!
Intel Mac with dual core processor
4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended for large ReFills or Rack Extensions)
4 GB free hard disk space (program may use up to 20 GB scratch disk space)
Mac OS X 10.7 or later (64-bit)
Monitor with at least 1280x768 resolution
CoreAudio compliant audio interface or built-in audio hardware
MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard recommended

Windows:
Fast, stable internet connection for installation and registration required!
Intel or AMD processor with dual cores
4 GB RAM (8 GB or more recommended for large ReFills or Rack Extensions)
4 GB free hard disk space (program may use up to 20 GB scratch disk space)
Windows 7 or later (64-bit)
Monitor with at least 1280x768 resolution
Audio Interface with ASIO driver
MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard recommended
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

While we are at it; there are some other historic limitations in reason, for example:
- you cannot record midi on two tracks via two different midi channels at the same time ('advanced midi interface' only allows playing reason as "sound module", but not recording midi data)
- you cannot export mono files (no matter what, the exported file will always be a stereo file. explain this to an audio engineer)

time to remove such quirks as well.^^
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_expresso View Post
Can and anyone be so kind as to recommend their favorite vsts? I only use reason so I rarely use vsts and don't keep up to date with what's hot.
That is a question with a boatload of answers. Anything in particular you're looking for?

For reverb, Valhalla all the way. Analog emulation: U-He Repro-1, Diva, Ace. Pads & atmo: Omnisphere. Leads & bass: Serum, Spire, Sylenth.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Nut

Great news....

Although I've spent quite a bit of money on Various RE and think the Reason Platform built with your choice of RE is probably going to give you plenty of scopeThis opens up a new load of possibilities..

One of the things I've always loved is the ability to build up huge patches by combining Reason devices,there are so many endless possibilities with the Software patching things here and there and experimenting having loads of happy accidents as is,Opening it up to VSTs only expands it to a whole new dimension,I just hope it remains as stable as it was as a closed format.

Creating and combining Patches from various VSTs in the easy no fuss reason Environment is a welcome move from me.

One of the VSTs I've always wanted to use alongside Reason is Omnisphere,seems it's no longer just a pipedream.

I can see this is going to be another Wallet snatcher..... with which VSTs to buy!!
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

I'm gonna guess that they waited until it was possible to go full 64-bit, OR, in a fictional userspace, they'd pull a rabbit out of a hat and announce support for sandboxed 32- and 64-bit VST plugins, which would be an even bigger game-changer....
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

I had to masturbate immediately after reading that reason implement VST in 9.5

After all these years...
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Guru

not really interested in any synth VST's but deffo interested in some of the processing plug ins that have been out of reach, mastering, effects, filters, EQ etc..Reason was always lacking in the processing dept imo, now it's going to be awesome being able to use Fab filter etc..
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-smile-z View Post
I had to masturbate immediately after reading that reason implement VST in 9.5

After all these years...
You've been waiting to masturbate for 15 years?!?
Old 28th April 2017
Reason supports VST now? Don't we all think that this awesome news come just we are in midlife crisis?
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

Perfect timing as I'm about to collaborate on a Reason-based project and was going to miss my Valhalla verbs. Glad I updated to 9.2 a couple of months back.
Old 28th April 2017
Gear Addict

I wonder how Maschine 2.6, MPC 1.9.6 vst's behave in Reason 9.5
Old 28th April 2017
Lives for gear

17 years to finally support VST, and just my luck the Mac is installed with 100s of Audio units ffs.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search