The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Remotely access iLok and similar devices
Old 8th April 2015
Here for the gear

Software Remotely access iLok and similar devices

https://www.virtualhere.com

I started writing some software a few years ago that shares a USB devices over the network. Its pretty useful for remotely accessing licensing dongles like ilok. Leave your ilok at home and use it remotely while on the road.

Ive had some positive feedback from my customers so i thought i would post this message on a music related forum for others to see. Actually most dongles work give it a try and see if it works for you

The website is https://www.virtualhere.com

Last edited by virtualhere; 10th April 2015 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: email for server address
Old 8th April 2015
Gear Addict

Would be extremly interesting to know if it works with ilok. Have them all in a server room and just connect the MacBook pro to the Internet wherever I am and use the ilok plugins. Dreaming!
Old 9th April 2015
Here for the gear

Added demo instructions above
Old 9th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Thats a fantastic idea. I have traveling with my iLok. I've broken 3 of them over the years, and 1 of them just randomly over heated. Needless to say they're not built very tough. And its always SUCH a headache to replace them. I've thought about illegally cloning mine just to get it onto something more rugged, but I'm not about to risk all my licenses. I wish Pace had an option to buy a road worthy iLok made to military specs like some of the stuff from Corsair, ADATA, Verbatim, etc. But enough of my tangent, an even better option to a tougher iLok is remotely accessing mine from a secure location.
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Addict

The idea is pretty awesome. I hope Pace and other companies don't react to this like assholes.
You should probably protect this idea, too.
Old 10th April 2015
Old 10th April 2015
If you're worried about reliability, why would you count on something connected via the web or a network?
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
I just gave this a try.. and yes it works, however, PACE doesn't allow for it to work and you will eventually get the following Error,

"An iLok cannot be shared across multiple operating systems or computers. Disconnect and reconnect your iLok when switching to another OS/Computer."
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

Can you try it again. Because i was using the dongle before it was locked to my remote computer. I have replugged the dongle in the server so when you use it should now work.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Yes, that seems to be holding now. Would love to know how to set this up in my own environment.
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

Some of my customers assure me it works e.g Ilok & Syncrosoft | VirtualHere

My software doesnt support piracy or emulation etc it simply transmits the USB electrical signals from a remote device and recreates the electrical signals in the remote computer by transfering them over the Internet, just as if you had a really big usb cable connected to your iLok.

The dongle is locked to the computer that first uses it remotely, unless the dongle is physically re-plugged into the server.

The easiest way is if you have a NAS like a Synology or a QNAP or a ASUStor then there are presetup packages in their appstore to install the server. Then you just plug the dongle into your NAS at home.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
What does that mean in English?
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

Sorry im used to dealing with geeks Yes basically if you have a Network Attached Storage device like https://www.qnap.com/i/useng/product/model.php?II=102 then you just plug it in there. If you dont have such a device and not tech savvy its a bit tough.

Perhaps i will create a box which is simple to use sharing system for ilok so you just plug it in a home and it works automatically when you on the road for people that arent tech savvy.
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

By the way mattrixx if you have the time now, could you connect again to the iLok just to verify its ok on the reconnection...it should be... thanks
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear
Yeah, it's working.
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

Myself and a few other Gearslutz tried playing with this idea some years ago with routers that had USB ports. I don't believe anyone ever got it stable.

This however is working great with my ILOK plugged into a Synology server. Very simple to set up and the user interface is friendly.
Old 10th April 2015
Here for the gear

Great. Actually my server will also work on routers, but most router manufacturers make it really difficult to add "apps" to their product so its manual install only for routers. You just need to copy the binary to the router and run it directly on there.

Ive been working on the software for 4 years so its pretty stable now. I have a lot of customers who is use for lots of different things so its turned into a full time job now..
Old 10th April 2015
Gear Addict

I have a symbology disc station that I use as a backup server. It's located a couple of hours drive from my studio, so you're telling me it could work with it?
Old 11th April 2015
Here for the gear

Sure, give it a try https://www.virtualhere.com/nas, figure out what Synology model you have and then download and install with the step by step instructions.
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Maniac

Outstanding!
Old 5th July 2015
Here for the gear

I have now created a USB server for OSX, its super easy to use. Download the server from https://www.virtualhere.com/osx_server_software and install, whatever usb device is plugged into your mac is now accessible remotely. Try it with an ilok and see...
Old 17th August 2015
Here for the gear

Hello,
Hello, you say that is working with ilok, but with which plugins ? include Protools ?

I'm going to test this!

Thanks
Old 17th August 2015
Here for the gear

Yeah it should work, let me know if it doesnt.
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Head

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhere View Post
Yeah it should work, let me know if it doesnt.
Nope. It doesn't work with iLok or Pro Tools
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear

What is your server and client? OSX 10.10? or elcaptian

El-Captian is broken both for server and client, ive got several bugs open with apple waiting for them to fix. If you are using older versions like 10.10 or earlier it should work...
Old 30th December 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhere View Post
What is your server and client? OSX 10.10? or elcaptian

El-Captian is broken both for server and client, ive got several bugs open with apple waiting for them to fix. If you are using older versions like 10.10 or earlier it should work...
I was on 10.10 when I tried it. Now on 10.11, but on 10.10 it did not work
Old 13th February 2016
Here for the gear

For anyone wondering about ilok network sharing, I have it successfully working with VirtualHere. I was running into the same problems others were, receiving messages about the ilok being connected to two computers simultaneously, blah blah.

SO....I had a Raspberry Pi laying around and installed the linux VirtualHere server, very easy. I plugged my iLok v2 and Waves license flash drive into the RasPi, launched VirtualHere on my OSX 10.10.5 machine, and it popped right up. I bought the VirtualHere license so I could do more than 1 device. I was able to mount the iLok and Waves dongle at once. I then launched ProTools HD 11.3.2 with success, no errors. It works! Of course you can only mount each dongle to one system, so those that think they can share one dongle and run multiple instances of protools, sorry, you need the licenses.

My theory is that the computers people were trying to run the Server application on were all systems that had the iLok license manger and interlock extensions installed, so thats why it yells at you when you share it to another computer, perhaps a fresh install of OSX would solve it because there would be no iLok software installed. I prefer the RasPi because I can hook all my dongles to one device, which of course has the inheret downside of a single failure point. In my experience the RasPi machines are very stable.

I have tested the following plugins:
Waves Platinum
Altiverb 7 XL
Dolby Media Meter
iZotope RX 5 Adv
Speakerphone
Fabfilter Volcano and Timeless
Soundminer v4.5

Now I can mount any ilok on any computer on my network, including anywhere in the world using my VPN. Technology is great!

Last edited by hoodwinked; 13th February 2016 at 10:21 AM..
Old 4th April 2016
Here for the gear

I updated the virtualhere server for osx to version 2.8.1, so it now should no longer say iLok in use if your OSX server has the iLok software installed.The VirtualHere server will disable iLok software on the server while its running

Steps to share iLok from an OSX computer

0. Make sure you iLok is unplugged from your server
1. Download the virtualhere server for OSX from here https://www.virtualhere.com/osx_server_software
2. Install the dmg by dragging the app to Applications then open Finder->Applications and then double click VirtualHereServer to start it
3. Click the "Settings..." button -> "Restart Server with Sudo"
4. Plug in your iLok
5. Now you can download the virtualhere client for windows, linux, or OSX (The OSX 10.11 CLIENT is not yet fully compatible so iLoks wont work on 10.11 via virtualhere, but 10.8/10.9/10.10 will work fine) https://www.virtualhere.com/usb_client_software

Whenever the server runs with sudo it will disable the iLok software on the server so you can use the iLok remotely
Old 15th February 2017
Here for the gear

OK, virtualhere is working with OSX 10.12.1 or later. So you can use your ilok etc dongles via the network with virtualhere again!
Old 31st July 2017
Gear Addict

Just installed and tried it on my qnap @ virtualhere and loading one single plugin in my software takes like 1-3 minutes instead of 2 seconds when having them in my computer. Where is the bottleneck you think?
Edit: when using it over the internet. Local is fine.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search