The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Remotely access iLok and similar devices
Old 1st August 2017
  #31
Here for the gear
 

ok, that definately sounds like network latency. What are your ping times between your client and the virtualhere server? Are you using a vpn or direct socket connection?
Old 1st August 2017
  #32
Gear Addict
 
Wonderbird's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhere View Post
ok, that definately sounds like network latency. What are your ping times between your client and the virtualhere server? Are you using a vpn or direct socket connection?

The ping is gone now. Everything works perfect. But I need your help, cause when I try to use my ilok on a couple of computers (not at the same time) I get that network sharing is not allowed. I pull my usb-hubb out of my NAS, and put back in again, and it work again on computer 2 for example.

But, is there a way, so I don't have to physically pull the usb-hub out of the NAS and put it back in again each time changing computer? I read somewhere that I could VPN it ... My NAS has vpn, and it's activated and all, but the computers need to be "the same" in form of IP and stuff?

Can you please explain, if you know, how to achieve this ..?

Thanx.
Old 12th October 2017
  #33
Here for the gear
 

I am also having trouble getting an ilok working. I'm using macOS 10.12.6, ilok connected to ReadyNAS 424 (tried connected directly and through a USB2 hub). The client sees the ilok and I can choose the option to start using the device. However, ilok license manager shows the dongle greyed out and the DAW just hangs when adding plugins with licenses in there.

Thanks in advance for any insight and help.
Old 19th October 2017
  #34
Here for the gear
 

I think it might be a readynas bug, i have heard another readynas user with this issue. Did you install the readynas package from https://www.virtualhere.com/nas , i recommend you do if you havent as its the latest build which might have resolved the error
Old 29th October 2017
  #35
Gear Head
more than one user

Hi! is it possible for my editor to work on the laptop within the same network simultaneity with me on the same license?

Let´s say.... I have the wave´s licenses on an usb stick could we open the same plugins on the Studio Computer and on the laptop the same time?
Old 29th October 2017
  #36
Here for the gear
 

No, not possible
Old 14th November 2017
  #37
Gear Addict
 
Alex_HS's Avatar
It's a pity. I'm going to use two Mac mini at the same time through ReaMote or Vienna and I hoped I found a solution.
Old 23rd November 2017
  #38
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhere View Post
I think it might be a readynas bug, i have heard another readynas user with this issue. Did you install the readynas package from https://www.virtualhere.com/nas , i recommend you do if you havent as its the latest build which might have resolved the error
No luck. I get the same result with the build you suggested (iLok greyed out in iLok Manager).
Old 9th October 2018
  #39
Interesting, just ran across this while Googling USB A/B switchers for the possibility of using my Cubase USB license dongle between 2 computers without having to unplug/swap the USB dongle back & forth. I'd be using both computers in the same room, and the USB dongle would use a direct physical connection.. in the case of a USB switcher the dongle would be A/B'd to computer #1 , or computer #2 .

I never have my music machines connected to the internet, so I would never transmit my license in that way, therefore don't have a need to remotely use my USB license. With something like Virtualhere I guess it would be a direct connection via Cat 5 or Cat 6 Ethernet cables from computer to computer. Would this direct connection be more reliable without the all problems, hangups, freezing etc, people are speaking of with a Cubase USB license dongle? Is it also possible to share Virtualhere among more than 2 computers via direct Ethernet cable connections?

I do realize that Virtualhere does not share USB license dongles among more than one computer simultaneously, but only one computer at a time.
Old 9th October 2018
  #40
Here for the gear
 

Its more difficult to directly connect computers with just an ethernet cable as an IP address needs to be allocated by some process.

I would suggest using a normal 5 port switch with router somewhere to allocate ip addresses. Just like a normal home LAN setup.
Old 11th October 2018
  #41
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualhere View Post
Its more difficult to directly connect computers with just an ethernet cable as an IP address needs to be allocated by some process.

I would suggest using a normal 5 port switch with router somewhere to allocate ip addresses. Just like a normal home LAN setup.
Makes sense, though I've set up 2 computers via Ethernet in the past, as well as a home network with several.

I gather that with the home router/network method, this would allow several computers to share a dongle, one at a time.
Although when PC's are within the same room, a simple USB A/B switcher would seem to offer the same thing.
Old 29th May 2019
  #42
Here for the gear
 

I know this is an old thread but i wanted to post my findings.

I have tried running the Virtual here server on Windows, Mac, Sinology and Raspberry Pi and I could not get around the issue on sharing the ilok because, it seems the ilok needs to be powered off before connecting to the another computer. I think one solution is to uninstall the ilok manager, but I didn't want to have to do that so i am running the virtual here server on the PI as a service on startup, and thats plugged into a tplink smart plug. so when i get to the studio i just say "ok google its time to work" and that powers on my lights, sequences my gear and reboots the PI. when i need to work from home but forgot to say "OK google im taking off" before i left the studio (or i left everything on intentionally) i just say "ok google reboot studio PI". This has been a great solution for me, I am so heavily investing in my plugins, i cant buy two of everything, and its RISKY caring my ilok / Waves USB with me everywhere.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Sleazy_Rider's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyco12 View Post
I know this is an old thread but i wanted to post my findings.

I have tried running the Virtual here server on Windows, Mac, Sinology and Raspberry Pi and I could not get around the issue on sharing the ilok because, it seems the ilok needs to be powered off before connecting to the another computer. I think one solution is to uninstall the ilok manager, but I didn't want to have to do that so i am running the virtual here server on the PI as a service on startup, and thats plugged into a tplink smart plug. so when i get to the studio i just say "ok google its time to work" and that powers on my lights, sequences my gear and reboots the PI. when i need to work from home but forgot to say "OK google im taking off" before i left the studio (or i left everything on intentionally) i just say "ok google reboot studio PI". This has been a great solution for me, I am so heavily investing in my plugins, i cant buy two of everything, and its RISKY caring my ilok / Waves USB with me everywhere.
what are you using to connect to the PI over the internet with?

Cheers
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump