Messe 2015: Audient announces the ASP800 - Page 11 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Messe 2015: Audient announces the ASP800
Old 23rd July 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I came on here and said some unpleasant sounding stuff about how sh%tty I thought the Behringer ADA8200 was and people got really offended. So yeah, you have to be careful about wording your opinions as this is a gear forum after all. I'll tell my friends what I really think but keep it a little more diplomatic on gearslutz. I understand where the guy is coming from though. It sucks to literally buy the hype on something and then be very disappointed in reality. My iD22 went back out too, by the way. Not that it didn't have its merits. I guess there really is no substitute for personal experience, and it's all a big journey of trying and learning, so you have to value even the disappointments in this way.
Exactly. I was disappointed. And I wanted to share my opinion. I can't see where I said anything horrible, though. But I did learn some things. In this strange rabbit hole we go thru with gear, the biggest thing we gain is knowledge. And we begin to build a preference to certain gear, certain work flows, certain settings, etc. I always read your posts and get good insights. I'm glad to know that you sent your Audient unit back, too. At least I'm not completely crazy. Maybe my ears are not completely blown out from loud tube amps at band practice! Thanks for putting things in perspective.
Old 23rd July 2016
Gear Guru

I am also a big fan of the Steinberg interfaces in this sector. I've had a very similar experience to yours with my UR824. It's just a great sounding box front to back.
Old 24th July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboxstudio View Post
Exactly. I was disappointed. And I wanted to share my opinion. I can't see where I said anything horrible, though. But I did learn some things. In this strange rabbit hole we go thru with gear, the biggest thing we gain is knowledge. And we begin to build a preference to certain gear, certain work flows, certain settings, etc. I always read your posts and get good insights. I'm glad to know that you sent your Audient unit back, too. At least I'm not completely crazy. Maybe my ears are not completely blown out from loud tube amps at band practice! Thanks for putting things in perspective.
Compared to my expensive preamps, it holds its own pretty well. Everyone has an opinion on what they like, perhaps you just don't like clean. 95% of what I like is clean, which is why I usually gravitate towards clean preamps. I mostly like Dakings on drums, which tells me you might not like them.
The only time I really like a colorful pre is when I'm doing vocals or bass, and electric guitar, which in that case I'll use my Aurora Audio GTQC.
Most of the time if I want a particular sound I'll reach for a mic or first of all, the instrument itself to change that sound.

I understand not everyone has a big budget for expensive gear, I definitely started at the bottom and have slowly turned my studio into a much bigger facility. Which is why I claim that the sound you got from the Audient is BS.
As Monkey stated there is some emotion tied into the equipment, which is what caused your post of disappointment. I get it, but I'm also countering your statement because I honestly don't think it's a fair assessment. Of course it's no holy grail, it's an $800 8-channel preamp with converters. But I've seriously made great sounding records off of M-Audio interfaces using the generic preamps, and as said before, never got muddy, cloudy, garbage from it.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Compared to my expensive preamps, it holds its own pretty well. Everyone has an opinion on what they like, perhaps you just don't like clean. 95% of what I like is clean, which is why I usually gravitate towards clean preamps. I mostly like Dakings on drums, which tells me you might not like them.
The only time I really like a colorful pre is when I'm doing vocals or bass, and electric guitar, which in that case I'll use my Aurora Audio GTQC.
Most of the time if I want a particular sound I'll reach for a mic or first of all, the instrument itself to change that sound.

I understand not everyone has a big budget for expensive gear, I definitely started at the bottom and have slowly turned my studio into a much bigger facility. Which is why I claim that the sound you got from the Audient is BS.
As Monkey stated there is some emotion tied into the equipment, which is what caused your post of disappointment. I get it, but I'm also countering your statement because I honestly don't think it's a fair assessment. Of course it's no holy grail, it's an $800 8-channel preamp with converters. But I've seriously made great sounding records off of M-Audio interfaces using the generic preamps, and as said before, never got muddy, cloudy, garbage from it.
Ok, sheesh, quote me on saying "garbage" a few more times. But I challenge you to this:

Go run your kick, toms, snare, and overheads through something other than the audient. Then go use the audient. Then solo the kick vs whatever. then solo the snare vs whatever. then solo the toms vs whatever. then solo the overheads vs whatever.

Then let me know if the audient was better than whatever.

thanks.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Haven't tried on drums, but if you're having problems with muddy, cloudy sounding, plastic garbage, that sounds like inexperience to me or a broken unit. I've never had a preamp make anything sound like that, even generic interface preamps.

I have used it on bass and trumpet, sax, and acoustic guitar and it sounds fantastic. I have more expensive pres I use before it, as I mainly have the unit for backup when I run out of channels, but I've never heard anything sound as you claim.
exactly. you said you'd use something better before using the audient. exactly.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Sorry I just noticed this post. I have used the retro channels on brass instruments, bass and acoustic guitar and it's a good flavor for sure. I still prefer the ADL 600 on acoustic but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I mainly use it for overflow channels but it's a fine piece of gear especially for the price. I only wish there were 8 retro channels instead of the two.
Exactly. You said you prefer ADL 600. You said "in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use it." That's what I would say about an MXL 990.

In a pinch, i would use a leaf instead of a nice section of Charmin super soft aloe coated TP.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I am also a big fan of the Steinberg interfaces in this sector. I've had a very similar experience to yours with my UR824. It's just a great sounding box front to back.
Yes. And to the people looking to buy this Audient unit, I say:

Buy a used Steinberg for half the price instead. Even if you don't need the firewire or usb interface. Just get it for the adat expansion, if that's what you're trying to accomplish.

Well, unless you need more than 48K… then look elsewhere, i guess.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
wow really?
yep. but that's just my opinion.
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Challenge accepted
I will do just that, I will run drums through all my normal preamps and then switch over with the same mics and mic positions and record drums through the Audient. It won't be 100% scientific since it will be a different performance but I'll try to match it as close as possible. I won't use any EQ on the more expensive pres so it will be a more fair assessment. And then we can get past this "Audient being garbage"
Lives for gear

Quote:
Exactly. You said you prefer ADL 600. You said "in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use it." That's what I would say about an MXL 990.

In a pinch, i would use a leaf instead of a nice section of Charmin super soft aloe coated TP.
Just because I prefer something over it doesn't make it crap. That's my point.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just because I prefer something over it doesn't make it crap. That's my point.
I agree. I just didn't like it. And I waited almost half a year while they teased everyone with the release date being pushed back for months. So I'm not a fan.

But I read another post that said the preamps were great when they used them as straight pre's, and not using the converters.

Maybe my overall problem was with the converters?

Like seriously, my overheads were rather smeary/hazy. Same with transients on drums.

And I don't think it was a user error. It locked up to 48k fine.

But that reminds me of another issue I had. I had to have a special word clock cable made, because my previous cable, which should have been fine, was loose with the Audient side. Fit fine on both Steinbergs. So there's that.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Challenge accepted
I will do just that, I will run drums through all my normal preamps and then switch over with the same mics and mic positions and record drums through the Audient. It won't be 100% scientific since it will be a different performance but I'll try to match it as close as possible. I won't use any EQ on the more expensive pres so it will be a more fair assessment. And then we can get past this "Audient being garbage"
Prepare to be underwhelmed! Haha. Just kidding, please don't waste your time over my challenge. Unless you really want to know for yourself!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree. I just didn't like it. And I waited almost half a year while they teased everyone with the release date being pushed back for months. So I'm not a fan.

But I read another post that said the preamps were great when they used them as straight pre's, and not using the converters.

Maybe my overall problem was with the converters?

Like seriously, my overheads were rather smeary/hazy. Same with transients on drums.

And I don't think it was a user error. It locked up to 48k fine.

But that reminds me of another issue I had. I had to have a special word clock cable made, because my previous cable, which should have been fine, was loose with the Audient side. Fit fine on both Steinbergs. So there's that.
Well, I never used the digital side of it. I have mine connected from the analog outs straight into the Antelope Orion 32. Perhaps that's what the problem is?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Prepare to be underwhelmed! Haha. Just kidding, please don't waste your time over my challenge. Unless you really want to know for yourself!
Ha! Well now you do have me curious. I have to record some drum tracks for my personal band later this week so it would be a good time to do it, it wouldn't take much to bypass the compression and EQ and switch over to the Audient.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Well, I never used the digital side of it. I have mine connected from the analog outs straight into the Antelope Orion 32. Perhaps that's what the problem is?
Yep, I think the converters may be "BLUR" browns.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ha! Well now you do have me curious. I have to record some drum tracks for my personal band later this week so it would be a good time to do it, it wouldn't take much to bypass the compression and EQ and switch over to the Audient.
The real test would be to use it fully with light pipe out, like I did.

Also, note, Audient says they used "the second best" burr brown converters in this box, and that for this unit the specs "looked better on paper."

You have to think, when you make a change like this, something might not sound right. Always be prepared for unsatisfactory results when you change a tried and true formula.

But since you are just using the pre's into your antelope, you might be having wonderful results with the audient "world class" pre's.

Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

https://youtu.be/H3GAAtz8Hwk

Not going to fib here... I purchased it because of this video.
Sounds good thru my DBox D/A - Focal Solo 6be's!!
I know it's YouTube..

One more... I know it's YouTube.
https://youtu.be/rrFwt9W6dh0
Old 24th July 2016
Lives for gear

Still have not used my ASP 800 I have a Black Lion Audio Modded Apollo, and a Burl Audio B2 AD.
I'll also put up some clips soon as well .. Little busy right now.
I did have the ASP880 a year back, my Apollo did have a noticeable more open sound. BUT the Apollo did not allow me to clock of the Internal Apollo Clock. The Apollo sounded better off its own clock vs clocked to the ASP 880 (When I used them together). So I sold it because of that clock reason. Since then with the Apollo I figured out how to Have the Apollo clock internally and LIKE IT! (it would switch after a few minutes to external clock previously)
I also purchased it because of the separate pre amp analog outs! BTW I just received the BLA XB Micro Clock! Wow!
I figured if I step up to a Apogee Symphony, Antelope Goliath or a Apollo 16 I'd have some "ext pres".
Old 7th September 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
I picked one up..I plan on using it analog in AD16X unless im on the road..
MAN! the HMX and IRON are BAD ASS!! I want 8 channels please!!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
MAN! the HMX and IRON are BAD ASS!! I want 8 channels please!!
Yes, agreed!
Old 29th September 2016
Gear Nut

I finally got around to trying HMX and Iron in the mixing phase. Way cool! I really liked it on both the drum bus and the master bus.
Old 4th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hello there folks,

We have been busy producing some videos to demonstrate the many uses of HMX and IRON on the ASP800.

Below you can find a Youtube playlist which covers various instruments and scenarios where HMX and IRON can add colour, depth and Mojo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVNQ...Aypwdd&index=1

Let us know what you guys have been using the retro channels on and any sweet settings you've found so far. We love hearing what you guys are using our products for.

Daniel @ Audient UK
I know this is an old thread but am interested in the product. I listened to the video and sure enough the preamp did sound noisy.
Old 23rd January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

im interested in this product but wont dynamic microphones suffer a little sound vice since asp 800 doesn't have low-z(low impedance) setting

i use dynamic microphones such as sm57 and sm7b a lot
does this unit work well with for example these dynamic microphones without sacrifice the sound

it only has 2.2k impedance, wont that only benefit condenser microphones ?

please correct me if im wrong
Old 25th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
im interested in this product but wont dynamic microphones suffer a little sound vice since asp 800 doesn't have low-z(low impedance) setting

does this unit work well with for example these dynamic microphones without sacrifice the sound

I use it with
-PM10's
-D112
-RM-7 (ribbon)
-C5's

analog out (Apollo+AD16X) around the drum kit and it sounds great!
Old 25th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post

Haven't had any issues here with dynamics.
Old 15th February 2017
I have a simple question. I currently own both the ASP 800 and the ASP 880. I am using them as a 16 channel solution in my studio. I am wondering which ones would have the better mic preamps in them? The 800 or the 880? I want to use the better ones for my acoustic instruments and maybe the lesser ones for my Electric guitars and Pads... Can you help me with this? Thanks
Old 16th February 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymackguitar View Post
I have a simple question. I currently own both the ASP 800 and the ASP 880. I am using them as a 16 channel solution in my studio. I am wondering which ones would have the better mic preamps in them? The 800 or the 880? I want to use the better ones for my acoustic instruments and maybe the lesser ones for my Electric guitars and Pads... Can you help me with this? Thanks
the preamps are the same in all Audient products

the conversion is slightly different in those two units but not by very much - the AD nod goes to the 880
Old 17th April 2017
JGM
Lives for gear

Greetings. Quick question to you ASP800 owners. And apologies if this has been covered already. Just want to know if I can get all 8 mic pres to sound the same or similar? Or is this not possible due to the added features of 1 & 2?
In other words if I do not use any of the features on 1 & 2 will they sound the same as 3-8?
Thanks.
Old 17th April 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Greetings. Quick question to you ASP800 owners. And apologies if this has been covered already. Just want to know if I can get all 8 mic pres to sound the same or similar? Or is this not possible due to the added features of 1 & 2?
In other words if I do not use any of the features on 1 & 2 will they sound the same as 3-8?
Thanks.
yes they sound identical - until you press the buttons

I still love mine BTW
📝 Reply