Messe 2015: Audient announces the ASP800 - Page 10 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Messe 2015: Audient announces the ASP800
Old 14th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockxrock View Post
Im gonna slim down my setup and move itb. from an oram console to apollo 8t with asp800/880. or! I will just get a apogee rosetta and go with my 500series pres. some aml1073 and vp26&28. how does asp800 compete with those pres?

Ive been lookin at the asp800 because I feel I really want an eazy setup and maybe I want 8 of the same pres to work with. how are you thinkin about this... is it easier, in your opinion, to have different pres? or is it only more fun?
I just received my new order of an Apollo 8P and the ASP800. I think 16 channels of this, with options for the IRON and HMX, or using UA plugins will be pretty awesome for tracking. (Sorry, can't compare as I don't know those others.)

Have not set up my recording space yet, but looking forward to it!
Old 15th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Im gonna slim down my setup and move itb. from an oram console to apollo 8t with asp800/880. or! I will just get a apogee rosetta and go with my 500series pres. some aml1073 and vp26&28. how does asp800 compete with those pres?

Ive been lookin at the asp800 because I feel I really want an eazy setup and maybe I want 8 of the same pres to work with. how are you thinkin about this... is it easier, in your opinion, to have different pres? or is it only more fun?
guess the problem with the asp880/800 is that it dont have adat IN. so, I cant use it for outboards..
Old 16th December 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
guess the problem with the asp880/800 is that it dont have adat IN. so, I cant use it for outboards..
The asp880 uses db25 cables. This allows you to come out of the pre then go into outboards and back into the ad converter.
You can also skip audients pre and go directly from your outboards to the converters.
I hope this helps.
You cannot do this with the asp800
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummercat View Post
The asp880 uses db25 cables. This allows you to come out of the pre then go into outboards and back into the ad converter.
You can also skip audients pre and go directly from your outboards to the converters.
I hope this helps.
You cannot do this with the asp800

Ok sorry if Iam a bit slow here.. but I cant go from the apollo to asp880 via adat since asp880 has no adat in. That means I only have inserts on the pres on asp880.
Company Rep

Quote:
Ok sorry if Iam a bit slow here.. but I cant go from the apollo to asp880 via adat since asp880 has no adat in. That means I only have inserts on the pres on asp880.
Hello there Rockxrock,

There is no DACs in the ASP880 so you wouldn't be able to take an ADAT out from your Apollo and into the ASP880. The ASP880 simply wasn't designed for this as it was designed to be used as a preamp unit rather than a AD/DA box.

If you wanted to input audio from your Apollo into either the ASP880 or the ASP800 then you would have to use the Analog Line outputs of the Apollo and plug these into the line inputs of the ASP800/880.

Going into the first two line inputs of the ASP800 will of course let you apply HMX and IRON to the inputs. This can be great for applying HMX and IRON to stereo recordings such as Drums or Piano where a subtle amount of HMX or IRON can add punch and Depth (or just turn them up full and go for a growly, fuzzy and smeared sound if that's your thing).

Otherwise, you could go into the AD input DB25 connector on the ASP880 instead but this would simply be converted to digital and then be sent directly out of the digital outputs and wouldn't particularly be of much use.

If anyone has any questions then please feel very free to ask and I will do my best to answer them.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Old 28th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
You may have your reasons, but wouldn't you want to do this the other way around?

My Apollo is the interface, so I'm sending my 8 channels from ASP800 to the Apollo via ADAT. I think this whole product line is meant for this purpose.
Old 21st February 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
You may have your reasons, but wouldn't you want to do this the other way around?

My Apollo is the interface, so I'm sending my 8 channels from ASP800 to the Apollo via ADAT. I think this whole product line is meant for this purpose.
how does the 800 compare to Apollo pres
Old 22nd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
how does the 800 compare to Apollo pres
Ditto....we all want to know.......very few people have both units,,,,,please give us an update on Mic pre ASP800 VS Apollo.
Old 22nd February 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron florentine View Post
Ditto....we all want to know.......very few people have both units,,,,,please give us an update on Mic pre ASP800 VS Apollo.
I need some workhorse pres over here ..it would be nice if they were better then the UA pres ..and hopfully better then my control24 pres that im using for workhorse (extra)duties now..
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared this to a Focusrite octopre? I assume it should sound better but how noticeable would it be? Maybe someone from Audient could let us know if it has better components?
Old 1st March 2016
Lives for gear

Has anyone compared this to a Focusrite octopre? I assume it should sound better but how noticeable would it be? Maybe someone from Audient could let us know if it has better components?
Old 2nd March 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
Hey Folks,

We've never compared the ASP800 to a Focusrite Octopre, and even if we had, it really isn't our place to compare the two units, let alone give opinions on which has better components or sound.

While I'm sure the Octopre is a great bit of kit, the main advantage of the ASP800 over it would be the two retro channels, simply because the Octopre has no colouration options as far as I'm aware. A lot of time has gone into optimising HMX and IRON to squeeze the best possible sound from the MOSFETS and Transformers and this does mean that you get a pretty unique sound that you probably wouldn't get from other pieces of gear.

When it comes down to the preamps and conversion, I honestly couldn't tell you which is better because it's entirely subjective. What works for one person, won't work for the other. Plus I'm naturally going to be super biased towards the ASP800 because that's the product that all the people here at Audient have worked so hard to produce.

I would always recommend, if possible, trying out the two pieces of gear and seeing which works best for you, both sonically and practically because there are so many variables that can factor into a decision between two pieces of gear.

If anyone does have any questions about the ASP800 then please feel more than free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Old 3rd March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audientworld View Post
Hey Folks,

We've never compared the ASP800 to a Focusrite Octopre, and even if we had, it really isn't our place to compare the two units, let alone give opinions on which has better components or sound.

While I'm sure the Octopre is a great bit of kit, the main advantage of the ASP800 over it would be the two retro channels, simply because the Octopre has no colouration options as far as I'm aware. A lot of time has gone into optimising HMX and IRON to squeeze the best possible sound from the MOSFETS and Transformers and this does mean that you get a pretty unique sound that you probably wouldn't get from other pieces of gear.

When it comes down to the preamps and conversion, I honestly couldn't tell you which is better because it's entirely subjective. What works for one person, won't work for the other. Plus I'm naturally going to be super biased towards the ASP800 because that's the product that all the people here at Audient have worked so hard to produce.

I would always recommend, if possible, trying out the two pieces of gear and seeing which works best for you, both sonically and practically because there are so many variables that can factor into a decision between two pieces of gear.

If anyone does have any questions about the ASP800 then please feel more than free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Thanks Daniel. I did compare the octopre to the mico. Would the ASP800 sound the same as the mico?
Old 3rd March 2016 | Show parent
Company Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
Thanks Daniel. I did compare the octopre to the mico. Would the ASP800 sound the same as the mico?
The ASP800 should so very similar, if not slightly better than the Mico. The convertors in the ASP800 and MICO are different so that will factor into the sound very slightly but the main difference between the two is that the Mico had Variphase and the ASP800 has IRON which affect the sound in very different ways.

Preamp wise, the same 8 transistor design we use across our entire product range can be found in both the ASP800 and the Mico so you'll still be getting the same Audient sound.

Basically, the ASP800 and the Mico are going to sound very very similar so if you liked the Mico, your most likely going to like the ASP800 too.

Daniel @ Audient UK
Old 26th March 2016
Lives for gear

I have a Apollo and just purchased the ASP 800..
But, my Apollo is Modded by BLA so that effects it..

I'll let you guys know soon!

After having owned the ASP 880 previously, I can tell you the ASP's have a little bit more warmer, in a good way. BLA Pre with the mod is a great workhouse pre, but I use my 573 or Daking mic Pres most of the time. The Audient Pres did sound cleaner when I used the unit as a pre amp instead of using it as a converter as well.
Not sure about the Retro channels.
Finally figured how to clock the Apollo as the main word clock, (alway been buggy) previously it have to be clocked to the external word clock.
I'll try to get some simple files up soon.
Old 15th April 2016 | Show parent
pjk
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Can't post files yet, but the short time I used it sounds pretty good. I ran a bass into the D.I. and played around with the HMX and Iron. As stated above, it's not full out distortion which is what I was kind of hoping for, but it does sound really good for subtle tone shaping. I like it.
Compared the Audient to my Aurora Audio DI and Neve Portico.
The Audient with the HMX and Iron dialed in, was pretty close to the Aurora. It has a lot of definition and the low end can get pretty big. The Neve was more pillowy (if that makes sense) more softer, bigger low end. But for this particular track I liked the Audient and Aurora, and decided to go with the Audient.
That's interesting. Can i ask if you've tried the 800's retro channels on any mic's or even on whole mixes please ?

Had to say goodbye to my tweed transformer preamps ( neve transformers ) and my valve preamps so am looking for something stereo with transformers but can't afford portico :(

cheers

Last edited by pjk; 15th April 2016 at 08:13 PM..
Old 21st July 2016 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Don't believe the hype...

I wish I had NOT purchased the audient asp800.

No phase button for six of the channels.

The preamps are slow for transients like drums. Which is why most people are even looking into this unit.

Cloudy on kick and toms.

The only saving grace is the two "retro" channels. They sound good on bass DI and ribbons, but only using the HMX with the knob turned towards "sweet." The Iron button is not great. The "growl" side of the knob is complete garbage and inserts really crappy distortion into any signal. No guys, it's not "musical" at all.

You cannot bypass the preamps. And you can't even pad them down to a good place to insert your pre's. With pad engaged, you still have to turn the channel up to about 10 o'clock before you can hear your signal.

The converters are good enough, but I think they are hazy. It syncs up with my Steinberg MR816X just fine, but overall, the preamps are just not for me. Especially for drums.

Kick drum sounded like plastic garbage. Snare drum was slow to hit transients. Toms sounded muddy. Overheads sounded like a blanket on top.

I'll be selling this thing as soon as I get some dedicated preamps. And I had such high hopes for it. Sad.
Old 22nd July 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestboxstudio View Post

The preamps are slow for transients like drums. Which is why most people are even looking into this unit.

Cloudy on kick and toms.

The only saving grace is the two "retro" channels. They sound good on bass DI and ribbons, but only using the HMX with the knob turned towards "sweet." The Iron button is not great. The "growl" side of the knob is complete garbage and inserts really crappy distortion into any signal. No guys, it's not "musical" at all.

You cannot bypass the preamps. And you can't even pad them down to a good place to insert your pre's. With pad engaged, you still have to turn the channel up to about 10 o'clock before you can hear your signal.

The converters are good enough, but I think they are hazy. It syncs up with my Steinberg MR816X just fine, but overall, the preamps are just not for me. Especially for drums.

Kick drum sounded like plastic garbage. Snare drum was slow to hit transients. Toms sounded muddy. Overheads sounded like a blanket on top.

I'll be selling this thing as soon as I get some dedicated preamps. And I had such high hopes for it. Sad.

wow really?

Last edited by RightOnRome; 22nd July 2016 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: i didnt read his hole post
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cloudy on kick and toms.

Haven't tried on drums, but if you're having problems with muddy, cloudy sounding, plastic garbage, that sounds like inexperience to me or a broken unit. I've never had a preamp make anything sound like that, even generic interface preamps.

I have used it on bass and trumpet, sax, and acoustic guitar and it sounds fantastic. I have more expensive pres I use before it, as I mainly have the unit for backup when I run out of channels, but I've never heard anything sound as you claim.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjk View Post
That's interesting. Can i ask if you've tried the 800's retro channels on any mic's or even on whole mixes please ?

Had to say goodbye to my tweed transformer preamps ( neve transformers ) and my valve preamps so am looking for something stereo with transformers but can't afford portico :(

cheers
Sorry I just noticed this post. I have used the retro channels on brass instruments, bass and acoustic guitar and it's a good flavor for sure. I still prefer the ADL 600 on acoustic but in a pinch I wouldn't hesitate to use it. I mainly use it for overflow channels but it's a fine piece of gear especially for the price. I only wish there were 8 retro channels instead of the two.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

I doubt if it was broken. People get hyperbolic about gear when they either like, or don't like it. He probably just honestly was not impressed.
Quote:

Cloudy on kick and toms.

I used ASP800 on few full recordings already, and my experience is complete opposite of yours. I can even buy your unit from you, as I would like 3rd in my rack, and the price for sure would reflect your opinion.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I doubt if it was broken. People get hyperbolic about gear when they either like, or don't like it. He probably just honestly was not impressed.
Of course, but to say it was ruining his sound that much is a bit extreme.
Old 22nd July 2016
Gear Guru

I came on here and said some unpleasant sounding stuff about how sh%tty I thought the Behringer ADA8200 was and people got really offended. So yeah, you have to be careful about wording your opinions as this is a gear forum after all. I'll tell my friends what I really think but keep it a little more diplomatic on gearslutz. I understand where the guy is coming from though. It sucks to literally buy the hype on something and then be very disappointed in reality. My iD22 went back out too, by the way. Not that it didn't have its merits. I guess there really is no substitute for personal experience, and it's all a big journey of trying and learning, so you have to value even the disappointments in this way.
Old 23rd July 2016
I will give you $300 for this useless, muddy, slow sounding piece of crap, no one will pay you more if it really sound as bad as you say, go ahead, be honest and relieve yourself from this anchor
Old 23rd July 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I came on here and said some unpleasant sounding stuff about how sh%tty I thought the Behringer ADA8200 was and people got really offended. So yeah, you have to be careful about wording your opinions as this is a gear forum after all. I'll tell my friends what I really think but keep it a little more diplomatic on gearslutz. I understand where the guy is coming from though. It sucks to literally buy the hype on something and then be very disappointed in reality. My iD22 went back out too, by the way. Not that it didn't have its merits. I guess there really is no substitute for personal experience, and it's all a big journey of trying and learning, so you have to value even the disappointments in this way.
Just keep it real and honest, like you've been doing. I think many, including me, appreciate your candor.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Just keep it real and honest, like you've been doing. I think many, including me, appreciate your candor.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Honesty is one of my #1 priorities in life so I'll keep at it, haters gonna hate, hahaha.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Touché
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cloudy on kick and toms.

Have you tried splitting a mic into the Audient and Steinberg to do a comparison? This doesnt make any sense . Is the clocking definitely set up right?
Here for the gear

I didn't mean to offend anyone! I just decided to post my opinion of the unit, so that others who are looking to buy one can have something to think about.

It's another interface that costs 800 bucks, that may not sparkle like you might think.

If you consider the box and the circuitry and the converters to be 200 dollars, then the preamps are 75 dollars a piece.

We read on gearslutz about single channel units that we drool about for 1000 or more. We look at GAP and WARM and Lindell and ART with tubes from Bowie, for alternatives, but even those units are 300-500 a piece.

Why would you put your Kick, snare, and overheads thru a box with 75 dollar pres? Because you are dying to get this Audient unit because you heard it was the best bang for the buck for getting drums "done." Because you are not rich, and you need 8 preamps like yesterday, to record the band! haha

Well, that's what happened to me. And I learned a lesson. I learned that I want much better sounds from Kick, Snare, and overheads. I learned that claiming "burr-brown" doesn't mean it's a winner. I learned that I'm personally not a fan of Audient. Your milage may vary.

And, just to let you know what I ended up preferring:
I borrowed a Gap Pre 573 for my lunchbox and tried it on Kick, and snare. I was totally surprised!
I tried my Tone Beasts with John Hardy op amps on overheads. Woa! Really good!
The pre's in my Steinberg MR816X did a much better job on Toms than the audient.

I guess I'm gonna look into Daking next.

I sold the Audient. No big deal. Got a second Steinberg. Can't bypass the pre's on the Steinbergs, but they can be padded down perfectly to accept outboard pre's. The converters are better, imo, to the audient. No haze. Maybe a little lacking in the very lowest frequencies. But clear on top.

All my two cents. Have fun out there!
📝 Reply