The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
BSA UM17B Tube Microphone
Old 1st April 2015
Gear Head

Hardware BSA UM17B Tube Microphone

Now shipping!

Equipped with Thiersch Blueline PVC capsule,
Haufe BV-08 transformer, and NOS EF-732 tube.

M49 based amplifier, with 41-position polarity switch incl. O-C-8
Handbuilt in Switzerland with 10-year warranty. This product replaces the now discontinued UM17R.

Price: CHF 1'849,00

Worldwide shipping included when purchased direct. Also available through DAS Hamburg (DE).

UM | 17B Microphone | BSA Microphones
Attached Thumbnails
BSA UM17B Tube Microphone-17b_bw1.jpg   BSA UM17B Tube Microphone-17b_bw2.jpg   BSA UM17B Tube Microphone-17b_bw3.jpg   BSA UM17B Tube Microphone-17b_bw4.jpg   BSA UM17B Tube Microphone-17b_main.jpg  

Last edited by Blackspade Mike; 12th September 2015 at 02:52 AM..
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

Looking great!
Navigating the website does not work for me though (Safari 8.0.4 on OS X).
Old 2nd April 2015
Gear Addict

Just out of curiosity, what happened with Blackspade? A year or so it looked like it was absorbed into Tab but now is back? A UM17 has persistently been on my radar so this is pretty exciting...
Old 2nd April 2015
Lives for gear

You must be crazy. That's way too cheap. That's hardly the cost for parts. You mad. I like you.
Old 3rd April 2015
Lives for gear

Will the UM25 see a return?
Old 4th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
Will the UM25 see a return?
Something similar to the 25C with a Campbell CT12 is possible. Would be more towards the end of the year though, as we finish off a few other products first.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspade Mike View Post
Something similar to the 25C with a Campbell CT12 is possible. Would be more towards the end of the year though, as we finish off a few other products first.
At the right price, I may be interested!

I'm looking forward to seeing your future product announcements.
Old 5th April 2015
Lives for gear

I'm interested to learn more about the tonality of this microphone, how would this differ from say a U47 tube microphone? Looking for a third decent option for the stoodio within the following months
Old 6th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
I'm interested to learn more about the tonality of this microphone, how would this differ from say a U47 tube microphone? Looking for a third decent option for the stoodio within the following months
The best way to answer this question would be to compare what users of the originals report as the differences between the vintage M49 and U47 mics.

Electronically the UM17B is a hybrid U47/M49 build, and with over 70% of its sound derived from the capsule and transformer (M7 and BV-08), it should in theory have been very similar to a U47. But in practice, the sum of the electronic and mechanical parts (chassis, head-basket etc.) made for a sound much closer to the M49.

We have also implemented the same built-in LPF as used in all three revisions of the M49. For anyone who would need their mic to be more open up top, this could be removed by snipping a single lead on the board (no soldering needed). The polar patterns are also controlled by a potentiometer instead of a rotary switch, taking it that little bit closer to how the original worked.

Last edited by Blackspade Mike; 6th April 2015 at 06:06 PM..
Old 7th April 2015
Lives for gear

What if you wanted to get the mic back to how it was with the LPF? Then you'd have to solder?
Old 7th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
What if you wanted to get the mic back to how it was with the LPF? Then you'd have to solder?
Yes! Our dealers/techs can carry out the mod on request for anyone that needs it, without affecting the microphone warranty.
Old 18th October 2015
Zut Alors!
Very cool!!

QUOTE=Blackspade Mike;10951157]The best way to answer this question would be to compare what users of the originals report as the differences between the vintage M49 and U47 mics.

Electronically the UM17B is a hybrid U47/M49 build, and with over 70% of its sound derived from the capsule and transformer (M7 and BV-08), it should in theory have been very similar to a U47. But in practice, the sum of the electronic and mechanical parts (chassis, head-basket etc.) made for a sound much closer to the M49.

We have also implemented the same built-in LPF as used in all three revisions of the M49. For anyone who would need their mic to be more open up top, this could be removed by snipping a single lead on the board (no soldering needed). The polar patterns are also controlled by a potentiometer instead of a rotary switch, taking it that little bit closer to how the original worked.[/QUOTE]
Old 30th April 2016
Here for the gear

Is the sound still close to the older AMI UM17 ?

Hi, here is a soundclip of the AMI UM17.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_66gDMnDbpo

Is the sound from the BSA UM17B still close to the same?

I like the open and clear sound from the clip and was wondering if that is the sound after snipping the single lead on the mic board?
Old 30th April 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
I like the open and clear sound from the clip and was wondering if that is the sound after snipping the single lead on the mic board?
A lot of the UM17's sound was down to its capsule, a Chinese made K47/M7 hybrid. The UM17B doesn't capture quite as much high-frequency content (with or w/o filter), helping it to sound warmer and smoother overall.

For somewhere in the middle, it could be worth considering the Redline Mylar capsule as an option, as its sound is noticeably more open compared to the Blueline.
Old 1st May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackspade Mike View Post
A lot of the UM17's sound was down to its capsule, a Chinese made K47/M7 hybrid. The UM17B doesn't capture quite as much high-frequency content (with or w/o filter), helping it to sound warmer and smoother overall.

For somewhere in the middle, it could be worth considering the Redline Mylar capsule as an option, as its sound is noticeably more open compared to the Blueline.
Thanks for your reply. You mention earlier about snipping the single lead on the mic board to let the capsule capture more high end frequencies. How much more high end frequency would be achieved. I know it is a touch question to answer, but let say compared to Neumann M 149, would the UM17B still sound dark?
Old 1st May 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Snapper View Post
Thanks for your reply. You mention earlier about snipping the single lead on the mic board to let the capsule capture more high end frequencies. How much more high end frequency would be achieved. I know it is a touch question to answer, but let say compared to Neumann M 149, would the UM17B still sound dark?
Thanks for the question; it's the capsule that for the most part dictates how open the mic will be. Thiersch's PVC M7 has a characteristic soft topend with a more pronounced midrange, lending the UM17B a smoother sound compared to mics equipped with much brighter capsules. I wouldn't call it dark though; similar to the original M49, it's a very balanced sound.

Otherwise, the LPF in this circuit has a subtle tuning effect. Even though it's noticeable, it won't drastically change the character of the mic when removed. For brighter, best option is to start with a different capsule.
Old 16th June 2016
Here for the gear

Thank you Blackspade for your responce. :-))
Old 6th August 2016
Gear Maniac

Somebody has experience with this mic?
I own a Miktek cv4 and im thinking to try this mic for vocals
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search