The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Stam Audio - SA-2A Opto Compressor - USD790.00 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear
Stam Audio - SA-2A Opto Compressor - USD790.00

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce the SA-2A Opto Compressor to the forum.

The SA-2A is a faithful reproduction of the classic 1968 Teletronix LA-2A compressor. The vintage LA-2A is the most sought after vocal and bass compressor in the world that has been used on thousands of hit songs.

The SA-2A recreates every last drop of character and usability of this classic compressor, at a price that makes it accessible to anyone.

We have gone to great length to faithfully reproduce the natural compression and vintage characteristics of the original.

First we developed custom transformers to match the frequency response found on the original UTC transformers. Then we sourced an identical Opto-cell from Drip Electronics to match the fixed attack and release response with absolute precision. Last but not least we have decided to use NOS 12AX7, 12BH7 and 6AQ5 tubes and respect the original schematic without any modifications.

Every component of every unit is premium quality and carefully selected to ensure our units match the quality of high end boutique gear.

Pricing is possible due to bypassing distributors and retailers, ordering in large batches and working with small margins. We want to see professional gear within the reach of anyone who has the passion to use it so we’re willing to sacrifice profits to make this possible.

The stock price for the SA-2A is $990US.

Right now though, if you put a $100 deposit down to preorder your unit you will get the discounted price of $790. Deposit can be made into our paypal account ([email protected])

Releaste date is end of May for pre-orders only. A small batch of 100 units will be manufactured, we still have a few left.

Full technical details and audio samples can be found on our website www.stamaudio.com and our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stam-Audio

Stam Audio is located in Chile which as a free trade agreement with the US, Canada, The EU, Australia and many more countries. This means no added taxes when importing our units. Shipping is quite affordable as well.

Any questions I am always available, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Joshua
Stam Audio
Attached Thumbnails
Stam Audio - SA-2A Opto Compressor - USD790.00-sa-2a-7-.jpg  

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 14th March 2015 at 12:37 AM..
Old 10th March 2015
Cool! Nice to see some South American gear!
Old 10th March 2015
Lives for gear

awesome
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

Wow. The processed stuff sounds pretty legit. Congratulations, and good luck!

BTW I just got back from Chile. Beautiful country!

Last edited by lobsterinn; 13th March 2015 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: stoned?
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hey Lobsterinn,

The audio samples on the website show the before and after =). The first 10 seconds you hear on the clip are without the SA-2A working. I wanted to show the natural smooth and compression that the LA-2A is famous for.

I'm glad you liked Chile!, I am originally from the Netherlands and moved here quite some time ago, I hope they treated you well !!

Regards,
Old 11th March 2015
Looks great, and for an amazing price! Too bad Sweden is so far away from Chile!
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear
Thanks Pianolando,

Shipping to Sweden is actually quite cheap, around 100 dollars and we have a free trade agreement with Sweden as well, so no added taxes =)
Old 11th March 2015
Lives for gear

I just preordered a Stam Audio SA-2A. I remembered the glowing reviews Stam Audio received for the 1073 style preamp a while back and have been craving an opto compressor for vocals and acoustic guitars. Can't wait to get it up in my racks. Looking forward to future products from Stam Audio. Best of Luck Joshua!
Old 12th March 2015
Hey Josh, are you aware of trade agreements between Chile and Brazil?

I'm asking this because the Brazilian VAT is just horrendous. I'll also try to look up if there's any trade agreements but if you already have that info it would be great to know.
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hey Diogo,

There is no free trade agreement with Brazil and Argentina unfortunately. Normally for my clients in Argentina and Brazil I travel to deliver the units. I understand the problem and I am willing to travel, I have done this a lot over the last 2 years with Argentina. A plane ticket is the same price as shipping 2/3 units so it's just a matter of coordinating with another client in your country.

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 14th March 2015 at 01:13 PM..
Old 12th March 2015
Great to hear that Josh. I'll keep that in mind, thanks!
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Hey Lobsterinn,

The audio samples on the website show the before and after =). The first 10 seconds you hear on the clip are without the SA-2A working. I wanted to show the natural smooth and compression that the LA-2A is famous for.

I'm glad you liked Chile!, I am originally from the Netherlands and moved here quite some time ago, I hope they treated you well !!

Regards,
Ah cool from Holland If I look at the website of the Douane (Dutch customs office), then it only states that there are no added taxes for products from the EU but not from other countries like USA, Chile, etc. So basically it seems that I still have to pay import taxes. Is that correct?
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hi Santibanks,

Yes sir, your are correct. You always have to pay your local VAT rate, I don´t charge VAT on my side.

When there is no free trade agreement you have to pay added taxes that vary from 6% to 45% in certain countries on top of your local VAT.

So you are correct. You pay local VAT. You can contact me via e-mail for further instructions =)

Thanks for your message,

Joshua
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but are these being assembled point to point or PCB?
Old 12th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hey Rapfreak,

PCB!
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear
Just wanted to share a quick picture of the old SA-2A design, which was called the LA-2B. Below the 1176 is a Pultec we used to manufacture but is no longer in production (for now).

https://www.facebook.com/22265802785...type=1&theater

Since then I have made some improvements designing customs transformers with David Geren from Cinemag to match the frequency response of the original UTC'S and increased the handling level on both the input and output transformer. I also added NOS tubes, a stereo link option and the +4 -GR knob.

Cheers,

Joshua

Last edited by joshuanaconda; 13th March 2015 at 07:52 PM..
Old 13th March 2015
Wow, this price make`s DIY seem too expensive. How are the Cinemags compared to the Sowter`s? Your own PCB, or point to point?
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear
My own PCB. Same schematic as the original.

When you purchase 200 transformers, 100 chassis and 100 T4B cells you get a big disccount so I guess it is quite cheap compared to building one unit.

I have tried both Sowter and Cinemag on my circuit, you can't really go wrong with either, they both manufacture great products. I went for the Cinemags, specially since David was happy to work on a custom design with a larger handling capability on the line input transformer.
Old 13th March 2015
Would you say these sound similar to an original La2A?
Old 13th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hi Pianolando,

They sound very similar but with a few improvements. Lower noise and more handling capability on both transformers to be able to cope with modern signals.

Tubes are NOS which is a huge plus and Drip's T4B (which is the heart and soul of an LA-2A) is virtually indistinguishable from the original cells in their attack and release time response. You can hear Drip's T4B in action here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2N7gr5uXhA

Transformers from Cinemag closely match the frequency response and thd of the UTC ones, our aim was to replicate the same characteristics.

Last but not least, we respected the original schematic 100% when designing our PCB.

I don't aim to improve vintage designs, my goal is to reproduce them with what is available today at a fair price.
Old 14th March 2015
Here for the gear

I have ordered an SA-2A!
Already have the Stam 1073 version. Sounds absolutely great!!
Great addition to the Grace m201 I was working with thus far.

Cheers,
Nando
Old 14th March 2015
Gear Maniac

Josh, how much shipping charge for you to ship it to the US for us in California.
So the price will be $799, pre-ordered and shipping charge?
Thank you.
dan le
Old 15th March 2015
Lives for gear
Hi Dan,

Shipping to the US is normally less than 100 dollars, insured and with tracking. I can give an exact quote before shipping but it will be between 90 and 110 dollars. not more, not less.

Thanks Dan,
Joshua
Old 15th March 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post

Hello Everyone,

I would like to introduce the SA-2A Opto Compressor to the forum.

The SA-2A is a faithful reproduction of the classic 1968 Teletronix LA-2A compressor. The vintage LA-2A is the most sought after vocal and bass compressor in the world that has been used on thousands of hit songs.

The SA-2A recreates every last drop of character and usability of this classic compressor, at a price that makes it accessible to anyone.

We have gone to great length to faithfully reproduce the natural compression and vintage characteristics of the original.

First we developed custom transformers to match the frequency response found on the original UTC transformers. Then we sourced an identical Opto-cell from Drip Electronics to match the fixed attack and release response with absolute precision. Last but not least we have decided to use NOS 12AX7, 12BH7 and 6AQ5 tubes and respect the original schematic without any modifications.

Every component of every unit is premium quality and carefully selected to ensure our units match the quality of high end boutique gear.

Pricing is possible due to bypassing distributors and retailers, ordering in large batches and working with small margins. We want to see professional gear within the reach of anyone who has the passion to use it so we’re willing to sacrifice profits to make this possible.

The stock price for the SA-2A is $990US.

Right now though, if you put a $100 deposit down to preorder your unit you will get the discounted price of $790. Deposit can be made into our paypal account ([email protected])

Releaste date is end of May for pre-orders only. A small batch of 100 units will be manufactured, we still have a few left.

Full technical details and audio samples can be found on our website Stam Audio and our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stam-Audio

Stam Audio is located in Chile which as a free trade agreement with the US, Canada, The EU, Australia and many more countries. This means no added taxes when importing our units. Shipping is quite affordable as well.

Any questions I am always available, feel free to contact me.

Regards,
Joshua
Stam Audio

Hi Joshua,

This sound very exciting indeed!
Would you care to post a few links of the pro studios you mentioned so we can get some impressions from the people who use it.

Cheers,

Bourian
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourian View Post
Hi Joshua,

This sound very exciting indeed!
Would you care to post a few links of the pro studios you mentioned so we can get some impressions from the people who use it.

Cheers,

Bourian
Certainly Sir.

You may want to speak with Keith Morrison who is a triple platinium engineer and has a few #1 Billboard dance hits

Keith Morrison

He is the owner at Kokopelli SoundStudios in Florida. Another client is EOG Studios in Lima, Peru. I have built one for the owner and a second one is under way, I have also built a 1073 and Pultec for him.

https://www.facebook.com/eogproducciones

I will think of more and request authorization to post here.

Thanks!
Old 16th March 2015
Sounds like I need a bigger rack.
this is going right on top of my wishlist.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear
Awesome Paul !

I will be posting high resolution inside pics in a few weeks.

Kind Regards,
Joshua
Old 17th March 2015
Gear Addict

How does one Find more details on the 1073? I don't see it on your website.
Old 18th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
How does one Find more details on the 1073? I don't see it on your website.
I will be releasing it soon. So far I can tell you it will be price friendly and will have Carnhill transformers I/O.

Thanks!
Old 18th March 2015
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search