Stam Audio - SA-2A Opto Compressor - USD790.00 - Page 17 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio - SA-2A Opto Compressor - USD790.00
Old 19th December 2016
Here for the gear

Hi Joshua,
I'm looking forward to this upgrade ! I'm still waiting for my Sa4000 invoice.
I hope you can ship this upgrade inside the box of the Sa4000.
Mike

Ps- I have a friend who can do the upgrade

Last edited by mike98116; 19th December 2016 at 04:36 AM.. Reason: Words didn't show up
Old 27th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Hello Guys

I am preparing a file with instruction and all the information required to upgrade all existing SA2A's. All new SA2A's will come with upgraded transformers.

The major difference is made by the input transformer. Sowter 1449f is the part number. C9 also has to be replaced for a 270pf cap instead of the existing 150pf.
The Sowter output transformer (1010) also make a slight improvement, but not nearly as much as the input transformer.

We have a tech in the US who will be upgrading all units on clients that wish to do so.

Thanks!

Joshua
Hi Joshua, will you sell upgrade kits as well for thoses of us who wish to have the upgrade performed on site ?
I will not, the 1149 and 1010 can be purchased from SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS

I asked Brian to upload the wiring chart and all the info needed.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I will not, the 1149 and 1010 can be purchased from SOWTER AUDIO TRANSFORMERS

I asked Brian to upload the wiring chart and all the info needed.
How come you're on the forums but you haven't answered my email about 200$ down, when its
Listed 100 down?

I literally went to buy your product, then emailed you and asked you. You responded which product, I told you which one and you haven't responded in nearly a month lol smh
Old 28th December 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
How come you're on the forums but you haven't answered my email about 200$ down, when its
Listed 100 down?

I literally went to buy your product, then emailed you and asked you. You responded which product, I told you which one and you haven't responded in nearly a month lol smh
There are many reasons why, probably missed your email, I apologize, I get about 600 emails a day, if I don't replied try again

I don't know who you are by the way.
Old 4th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Funk View Post
Would love to hear this up against the Warm Audio WA-2A. I fancy the Stam more, but no idea why? lol
I own the SA-2A and have a friend with the WA-2A. We met up last week and he sang a quick vocal through both. We both preferred the Stam on this test. The sound was fatter and richer. Really nice unit.
Old 4th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

i´ll call you...
Old 5th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I own the SA-2A and have a friend with the WA-2A. We met up last week and he sang a quick vocal through both. We both preferred the Stam on this test. The sound was fatter and richer. Really nice unit.
That is great feedback, thanks for sharing.

The new SA/2A sounds better than the previous one, more 3D, better specs and even more similar to the original. Greg Wells was in charge of testing it. The good news is that all previous SA2A owners can do the upgrade to the Sowter 1449 and Sowter 1010. C9 must be changed to 270pf and that is pretty much it.

I hope I can have some time in 2 weeks to upgrade everything you need to know!

All new SA2A will come with a Sowter input transformer.

Thanks!
Quote:

The new SA/2A sounds better than the previous one, more 3D, better specs and even more similar to the original. Greg Wells was in charge of testing it. The good news is that all previous SA2A owners can do the upgrade to the Sowter 1449 and Sowter 1010. C9 must be changed to 270pf and that is pretty much it.

Thanks!
Thanks Joshua. I don't even need to update the transformers. I'm totally happy with this unit as is. Sounds boss.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
I thought Stam went to great lengths to have transformers made to replicate the original ones as much as possible, but now they have been replaced with off the shelf Sowters that sound more like the original ones? I'm not doubting both sound great and I would LOVE one of these beasts but if I were Stam, I'd be complaining to the original makers of the custom transformers that off the shelf Sowters are doing a better job!
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought Stam went to great lengths to have transformers made to replicate the original ones as much as possible, but now they have been replaced with off the shelf Sowters that sound more like the original ones? I'm not doubting both sound great and I would LOVE one of these beasts but if I were Stam, I'd be complaining to the original makers of the custom transformers that off the shelf Sowters are doing a better job!
A manufacturer who's honest about improving an existing and already great product.

What's not to like ?
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordnielson View Post
A manufacturer who's honest about improving an existing and already great product.

What's not to like ?
Oh, definitely appreciate that, it's just the original info said the transformers where as close to the originals as possible (words to that effect) but then they find some better? Anyway, I'm not dissing them, love Stam!
Gear Maniac

Quote:
...it's just the original info said the transformers where as close to the originals as possible (words to that effect) but then they find some better?
Those will probably be EVEN BETTER than the original. Nothing wrong with improving the original
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Who said that the Sowters were off the shelf?

They have been designed by Brian Sowter to replicate the UTC A/10 and A/24, they are not off the shelf and yes, we did seven prototypes with Cinemag to get them as close as we could (at that time) to the UTCs, they sound great, people love them, we just think the new Sowter ones, particularly the 1449f input transformer makes a further improvement, Brian Sowter really makes the finnest vintage replicas I have ever heard. Our 1073, SA87 and 1176 will also benefit from this.
Old 6th January 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Who said that the Sowters were off the shelf?

They have been designed by Brian Sowter to replicate the UTC A/10 and A/24, they are not off the shelf and yes, we did seven prototypes with Cinemag to get them as close as we could (at that time) to the UTCs, they sound great, people love them, we just think the new Sowter ones, particularly the 1449f input transformer makes a further improvement, Brian Sowter really makes the finnest vintage replicas I have ever heard. Our 1073, SA87 and 1176 will also benefit from this.

Brilliant, sorry for my disinformation. I had misunderstood that the Sowters were off the shelf which confused me that after having someone make custom one, that you would then find off the shelf ones that were better, when you could have just used those to start with. Now you have explained they are not off the shelf, that makes perfect sense.

Keep making great gear at prices we can afford (well not me currently).
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

You advertise the unit on your website as 100 down, and then after that you get 100 off the stock price, but when you actually click add to cart it's two hundred. Which would mean there is nothing off the stock price. I don't mean to rain on your parade, and price is not an issue. I just don't understand how you can be so condescending. When multiple people inquire about this and you don't respond to their emails. You reply on gearsluts saying you didn't see the emails (everytime) and maybe they were sent into spam. You might have a great product but it just seems so fishy. I apologize if I am out of line I still don't know how much it is, so it's 990 total with a deposit?
Old 14th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
You advertise the unit on your website as 100 down, and then after that you get 100 off the stock price, but when you actually click add to cart it's two hundred. Which would mean there is nothing off the stock price. I don't mean to rain on your parade, and price is not an issue. I just don't understand how you can be so condescending. When multiple people inquire about this and you don't respond to their emails. You reply on gearsluts saying you didn't see the emails (everytime) and maybe they were sent into spam. You might have a great product but it just seems so fishy. I apologize if I am out of line I still don't know how much it is, so it's 990 total with a deposit?
If the pre/order price is 890.00 and you place a 200 dollar deposit then the pending balance is 690.00.
I don't understand what you mean by "there is nothing off the stock price" when everybody here has benefited from it.
The text needs to be updated to a 200.00 deposit, it used to be 100.00 in 2015-16, I really fail to see what to see what the problem is.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If the pre/order price is 890.00 and you place a 200 dollar deposit then the pending balance is 690.00.
I don't understand what you mean by "there is nothing off the stock price" when everybody here has benefited from it.
The text needs to be updated to a 200.00 deposit, it used to be 100.00 in 2015-16, I really fail to see what to see what the problem is.
Well it's 2017 and it still reads that on your site Thanks for finally clearing that up.
Quote:
Well it's 2017 and it still reads that on your site Thanks for finally clearing that up.
Old 24th January 2017 | Show parent
Quote:

Thanks!
Can you explain how existing owners can upgrade a bit better? Perhaps links to the parts needed and install instructions?
Old 25th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would be happy to make a 175/176 ...I already pre-desgined one last year, so it would be quite fast to finish it and start testing transformers and parts.

This said, I would need utleast 50 guys interested to even attempt doing a run, if enough peope get on board I will do it.

Thanks!!

Joshua

PD: What about a Telefunken V72/V76 preamp! ?
Any news on a 175/176 style?
Old 16th October 2018
Here for the gear

has anyone tested got any audio of Stam 76 against the wes audio beta 76 ? You never know ! Is there somewhere better to post this ? I’m in Europe so sending things back to the US isn’t that easy etc
Old 3rd December 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Is there a reason why their webpage does not reflect these changes made to the SA2A? I am referring to the Sowter transformers and such.
Old 9th January 2019
Gear Head
I'm going to pre-order that new SA-23A+!!
📝 Reply