The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NoHype Audio LRM-2 ribbon mic out now Condenser Microphones
Old 21st August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinzin View Post
nah, it's not "really dark". in fact, for a ribbon it's almost crystal clear.
obviously there's a difference to the highs of LCD but i would call 'em natural.
Right, I agree. I did my best to keep the response as linear as possible. But if you compare with the typically HF emphasized condenser, you'll hear a world of difference. to make it worse, being a Fig-8, the LRM-2 has significant proximity effect. If you compare to a condenser at less than a couple of meters, the LRM-2 will always show more bass, getting more obvious as you get the mic closer to the source. You'd need a Fig-8 condenser for a better starting point but then any condenser, being HF tuned, will bump more in the 10KHz range (roughly) while a ribbon will bump in the sub 100Hz range. You can't change that, nature of the beast. So condensers will always be bright and open (sometimes annoyingly so) and ribbons will tend to be more beefy and round (some being muddy and dull).

The worst condensers have terrible, ragged HF peaks of several dBs.
The worst ribbons have a murky low end and no real response above 10K.

I'm trying to keep my ribbons linear and open in the top end.

Future condensers will tend to lack the treble emphasis and harshness of most entry level models.
Old 21st August 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Future condensers will tend to lack the treble emphasis and harshness of most entry level models.
people are sick of those hyped harsh highs in LCD mics for years, market is just so slow to react ... but it's gerting better it seems. more "neutral" condenser mics available now.
Old 23rd August 2017
Lives for gear

True. I think some manufacturers got the message; But since most Chinese capsules come from the same 2 or 3 suppliers, they all tend to have the same problems. It's really up to Rode, AT and other mid price makers to improve the response of their in house capsules...
Old 26th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Right, I agree. I did my best to keep the response as linear as possible. But if you compare with the typically HF emphasized condenser, you'll hear a world of difference. to make it worse, being a Fig-8, the LRM-2 has significant proximity effect. If you compare to a condenser at less than a couple of meters, the LRM-2 will always show more bass, getting more obvious as you get the mic closer to the source. You'd need a Fig-8 condenser for a better starting point but then any condenser, being HF tuned, will bump more in the 10KHz range (roughly) while a ribbon will bump in the sub 100Hz range. You can't change that, nature of the beast. So condensers will always be bright and open (sometimes annoyingly so) and ribbons will tend to be more beefy and round (some being muddy and dull).

The worst condensers have terrible, ragged HF peaks of several dBs.
The worst ribbons have a murky low end and no real response above 10K.

I'm trying to keep my ribbons linear and open in the top end.

Thanks, this really fits with what I've experienced with this first ribbon mic. I'm impressed with the mic and I will be experimenting further to try to get the best recordings possible.. loved a first test guitar recording on the mesa but I definitely overcooked the low end as the recording lacked definition on top but had balls for days on the low end

Probably down to the proximity issue you were referring to and the fact I need think a little differently using a ribbon versus an LCD when recording

Stu
Old 28th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
Thanks, this really fits with what I've experienced with this first ribbon mic. I'm impressed with the mic and I will be experimenting further to try to get the best recordings possible.. loved a first test guitar recording on the mesa but I definitely overcooked the low end as the recording lacked definition on top but had balls for days on the low end

Probably down to the proximity issue you were referring to and the fact I need think a little differently using a ribbon versus an LCD when recording

Stu
All Fig-8 mics have more proximity effect than Cardioids, regardless of the transducer type, but what can make the difference more striking is the fact that ribbons are LF tuned and condensers HF tuned. The typical peaks in the HF of a condenser will systematically give them an edge over a ribbon when tested side by side and if they're very close to the source the difference in prox. effect will increase that difference to the point where you may find the ribbon dark and woolly, or the condenser bright and light. In fact it's a mix of both.
Old 3rd October 2017
Gear Maniac

Althought I use the LRM-1 and the thread here is about LRM-2, I just wanted to remark how great the mic is ! Yesterday, I had the first long recording session with the mic, and the Taiwan Transformer got a great kind of dirt in the deeper mids, which makes it really unique. I guess, I keep it like it is for a characterful mic. With Black Box HG-2 from PA, I made the Airband more brilliant.Great buy, looks great, sounds great. Go on, Nohype Audio !
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Here's a good sample/example of an LRM-2/Lundahl in use, thanks Daniel Berlanga for the link:

Katjazz Band - Alfonsina y el mar

Katjazz Band - Alfonsina y el mar (Félix Luna/Ariel Ramírez)

Katja Knaus - Voz
Pepe Pérez - Saxo tenor
Jesús Gea - Contrabajo
Andrés F. Lafuente - Batería
Carlos Sáez - Teclado

Grabado en estudios dBUp Grabaciones Clásicas - Inicio con la ayuda de Miguel Ángel Marín.
Old 10th October 2017
Very tempted by one of these for vocals, acoustic guitar and guitar amp. Could you speak a bit more about the audible difference between the two transformer types? There's quite a big difference in price.
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Hi, the Taiwanese transfo is not bad but tends to soften the top end and make the bottom a bit less defined, with a mid range colour that gives it an edge on all Pop/Rock projects. Too coloured for Classical, where the Lundahl's flatter response is always preferred. For critical recording, say some acoustic Folk and such, the Lundahl is often picked as well. Basically if you need more presence and colour go with the stock Taiwanese transfo, if you want a more linear response the Lundahl is better.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Head

LRM-2 on upright piano

Blumlien LRM2
Lev Integrity II
Mytek 8x192 @192khz

Gentle EQ + Limiting.
Attached Files

08 - (Unknown Artist) - Time.mp3 (2.43 MB, 1615 views)

Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks!!! Can you confirm whether it's the Lundahl or Standard version?
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Be interesting to know what your guess would be JP?
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Ha! Are you kidding? Not knowing what the source sounds like, how could one guess at a difference in transfo colouration? If the piano was darker with the cheaper tranny it could sound about the same as the same but slightly brighter piano with the Lundahl, for instance. If there were 2 files comparing both versions of the mic it would be possible - but not in this case.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
ha....Really tempted to give the wrong answer....

but I wont.... Its the standard version in blumlien.

I forgot to take a pic of the actual positioning we went for, but basically put the stereo pair just to the right of the pianists head facing the centre. not texbook, I wasn't getting enough signal (for the quiet tracks) as I didnt have the in-line booster preamps at the time. I love the fact there is zero reverb on it, it all comes from the natural resonance of the piano.

As much as I love these mic's some credit has to go to the rest of the chain - for warm yet clean dynamic repsonse The Lev and Mytek are a winning combo.
Attached Thumbnails
NoHype Audio LRM-2 ribbon mic out now-img_20160822_1853184.jpg  
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Say, what mic stand is that?
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Looks like DIY military grade

btw, What about your plans to reissue the LRM-1 ? In this case, I would think it over to buy a second in the future to have a magic pair :-)
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Looks stunning.

LRM-1, no, absolutely no! But there's something coming in Spring that will meet the demand of those begging for a darker sounding and LRM-1 styled mic. Thing is I can't price them at what I used to sell LRM-1's at, the guts are completely different and manufacturing costs went up. Still a good deal I think (exact price TBD) but a bit more than the LRM-1. Email me if you really need a second LRM-1 though, I might be able to put together one from spares but last time I looked I was missing the body, I never had many spares of those. I do have a box of parts in the workshop that need to be opened and checked, who knows what's inside. I'm not kidding.
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Oh thats really a pitty. As it has a phantastic look, no one would be anoyed when the reissue of LRM-1 would be the same price as the new LRM-2. Its just an idea to have a pair of them, at the moment I spent my money on holidays

btw: Happy new year !
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

The new mic will share the same body, with a twist... but I will say no more. Future releases will be better on all fronts compared to the LRM-1. Cool mic but our first effort and it's been many years. Plenty of improvements on paper still but it's proven extremely difficult to implement improvements without turning off buyers (I know it sounds weird!). That said raising the price of the LRM-1 was not an option. Here in Europe there are cheap imports based on the same body and it's too difficult to sell a mic that looks exactly like another that happens to be cheaper. The fact that I tried discontinuing the LRM-1 twice and failed before the third final batch came around proves that buyers can be stubborn, too. I know, I'm one! I hope that I can keep releasing new products because good ideas have been piling up in the past couple of years and the LRM-2 is just an example of what's to come. But I don't want to go in the middle of the current price range as I can't justify it, to be honest. Others wouldn't hesitate to make false claims but I enjoy keeping a clean conscience. And I don't have the funds to invest into the machinery required to make all the parts I'd need, so for now, I have to buy offshore although I've been buying some components elsewhere already and will do more of that from now on (due to many factors).
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

And Happy New Year to all, yes!!!
Old 4th January 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Military grade - yes.

DIY - I wish!

Sontronics MATRIX - 10

Its very light.

I just wish the stereo bar had a adaptor/accessory that would allow the blumlien pair to hang vertically, obtuse towards the mic stand....

Don't suppose you have such a part lying around JP?...
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Well done Sontronics!

Well you can move the knuckle where you attach the mic stand on the bar to the middle instead of the end of the bar, if that's what you mean.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

See if this works:

Old 28th May 2018
Lives for gear

A quick sample of the LRM-2 on drums OH duties in a Live setting:

FRÉ
The Moon (comp, lyrics Frederike Berendsen)

Sa 09. 12. 2017

Frederike Berendsen (voc, charango), Julian Bohn (p, voc), Caris Hermes (b), Lukas ›Bobby‹ Büning (dr)

Recorded live at Jazz-Schmiede Düsseldorf
Recording&Video: Jazz-Schmiede Düsseldorf

http://jazzschmie.de/e9Sr
Old 4th July 2018
Gear Maniac

I love this as a drum overhead. Full, smooth and natural, no piercing whistle in the cymbals as you get with many bright SDC mics.
Old 5th July 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by askomiko View Post
I love this as a drum overhead. Full, smooth and natural, no piercing whistle in the cymbals as you get with many bright SDC mics.
i use my pair of lrm-2 as drum overheads all the time. kick sounds amazing in my overheads and as you say, cymbals sound natural. best money spend on a pair of mic ever!
Old 11th July 2018
Lives for gear

Thanks guys
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search