SPITFIRE LAUNCH - The Grange - DRUM LIBRARY WITH CHAD SMITH LIVE AT NAMM!! - Page 3 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SPITFIRE LAUNCH - The Grange - DRUM LIBRARY WITH CHAD SMITH LIVE AT NAMM!!
Old 28th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Well, just forgetting about the crashes, the kicks and snares on this are pretty awesome. It's not so much the close mic's, those are pretty standard fare, it's the mid mics and far mics that are quite awesome. It does seem a bit too pricey knowing now that it's crippled product.
Yeah, I can hear from video that sound is great, but can't use it in the real work. Also after second watch of youtube it seems that hi-hat does not have enough articulations like quarter close, half open, tip and shank, etc.. So that's one more argument.
Lives for gear

This is really disappointing to hear...

Might go for it anyway though and try to work within its limitations, but leaning back towards BFD3 now :/

Not worried about the roger cymbal with kick or only having 3 toms, but lack of hi hat articulations is a real bummer. Should be able to map closed, open, pedal 1/2 open at least (1/4, 3/4, tip and shank would be nice as well).

It's cool they got these 3 players but they should have gotten a 4th player willing to maximize the sample library with all possible hits. I don't want to sound like chad or roger, I want to sound like myself but on a drum kit played in Healy grange. That would be worth the money no question.

Now im afraid if I buy it I will not be able to use it and $225 down the drain :/
Lives for gear

Having to load multiple instances of the instrument in order to get access to all the channels doesn't really bother me too much, however the only kit I'm really interested in having in this pack is Roger's since he's my drumming hero (and his drum sound is unreal) so having no single cymbal hits is a bit troubling. Especially if you're programming/playing a part where you're riding on the crash cymbal, you're going to end up with a kick hit on each one whether you like it or not.

A bit of an oversight alright and I understand Roger saying 'Well I'd never hit a crash without a bass drum' but the guys at spitfire should have understood that not everyone wanting to use their product might feel the same way.

Cheers, Mark.
Quote:
Well, just forgetting about the crashes, the kicks and snares on this are pretty awesome. It's not so much the close mic's, those are pretty standard fare, it's the mid mics and far mics that are quite awesome. It does seem a bit too pricey knowing now that it's crippled product.
yeah, especially after the initial discount. I mean, after the 5th of Feb. it's price goes up significantly. I would probably just spend the extra $50 more and buy Bfd 3.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Also on the fence with this and BFD3 and would like to know asap. I emailed Spitfire, let's see if they can offer some more information
Lives for gear

Here are a couple multis with the Roger Kits with Chad's crashes replacing the Kick/Cymbal combo. There is a conflict with Roger's 2nd ride and one of Chad's China's on B2. These are all mics up and available versions.

The cymbals are pretty seamless and end up sounding pretty similar to Roger's cymbals in the rooms.

Saved in K5, sorry to those with earlier versions.

http://www.grooveaddicts.net/Out/Rog...h_All_Mics.zip

Best
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a conflict with Roger's 2nd ride and one of Chad's China's on B2.
Can't you just change the mappings so there is no conflict?

Could you let us know what kind of hi ht articulations are available, as well as snare? Is it just center and rim for snare? Hi hat - does it have pedal, open, closed, 1/2, 3/4, 1/4, tip, shank, etc.?

Thanks!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here are a couple multis with the Roger Kits with Chad's crashes replacing the Kick/Cymbal combo. There is a conflict with Roger's 2nd ride and one of Chad's China's on B2. These are all mics up and available versions.

The cymbals are pretty seamless and end up sounding pretty similar to Roger's cymbals in the rooms.

Saved in K5, sorry to those with earlier versions.

http://www.grooveaddicts.net/Out/Rog...h_All_Mics.zip

Best
Awesome!! Thank you.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMRECS View Post
Can't you just change the mappings so there is no conflict?

Could you let us know what kind of hi ht articulations are available, as well as snare? Is it just center and rim for snare? Hi hat - does it have pedal, open, closed, 1/2, 3/4, 1/4, tip, shank, etc.?

Thanks!
Yes, one could change the mapping to get rid of the conflict. I went for the quick fix.

Hi Hats on this are pretty cool. They don't follow the usual midi drum setup. They are setup so if you play lightly on the first key you get a closed tip sound. As you play harder they start to slosh a bit, which I think resembles real playing- it feels natural. The 2nd key is hats half open with a pretty decent dynamic range. The third key is hats open. There's not a bunch of options, but they do sound natural and they behave like a rock drummer.

Snare... Depends on the kit. Some have center hits on D and rim cracks on E, others just have consistent hits between the two. The Andy kit has an added super low tuned snare randomly stuck in there on one of the keys that is pretty great.

If you're looking for a workhorse like BFD, SSD, SD2, AD, etc, you're barking up the wrong tree. This is a very specific and niche sound. If this is the only sound you want or have dreamed of, then go for it. If you want something that can be used in a lot of different styles with expandability, look elsewhere. Personally, if I were just starting to buy and were looking for a package to get me up and running, I wouldn't start with Grange. I own most libraries out there and reach for SSD and SD2 most, especially with rock. AD for cool retro and indie stuff (though SD2 has plenty of that too). BFD is great, I just have a little harder time making it work in my productions. No real reason, just my taste. I also use the older vintage, 60's, and 70's kits that come with Komplete quite a bit too. They're pretty cool sounding.

Hope this helps.
Old 28th January 2015
Gear Addict

Is there a posted MIDI map somewhere? I haven't back from spitfire support yet. I'd like to record with my edrums or use other midi and then flip these into place. I haven't had time to play with it yet (hopefully tonight) but didn't see a list of midi notes used anywhere versus going in and clicking on every drum. Thanks.
Old 28th January 2015
I noticed it says this is 'Vol. 1' Maybe they will release a volume 2 that will address the issues people have.
Old 28th January 2015
Lives for gear

Thank you very much for the info.

In my case, I am only using these for one project at the moment, so versatility of styles isn't important. Basically, I can't afford to track drums at a pro studio right now, and am looking for alternative options. I decided that using an e-kit with high quality samples would be the best way to go considering the project and budget (the project is a crossbreed of organic and electronic elements, so tracking with samples played by an e-drum kit fits right in with the aesthetic/concept).

If I were recording drums at a pro studio, I'd have 1 drum kit (perhaps a couple of snares to change out), in 1 room, with 1 micing setup for the entire session. So as long as the Grange is as expressive as my drumming, and can be mapped per song based upon what I am looking for, it should be as versatile as tracking in a studio. I was considering BFD3 + the Absolute Maple Expansion and the Deluxe Expansion pack prior to discovering The Grange...the Grange just feels extra special, so I'm hoping to make it work in this project as an alternative to tracking in a pro studio.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmontano View Post
Is there a posted MIDI map somewhere? I haven't back from spitfire support yet. I'd like to record with my edrums or use other midi and then flip these into place. I haven't had time to play with it yet (hopefully tonight) but didn't see a list of midi notes used anywhere versus going in and clicking on every drum. Thanks.
The basics are where they should be. The only thing that will give you issues is the half open hat is placed where the hat clamp/close usually goes- (G#1)

Then there are unmapped versions for rolling your own.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you very much for the info.

In my case, I am only using these for one project at the moment, so versatility of styles isn't important. Basically, I can't afford to track drums at a pro studio right now, and am looking for alternative options. I decided that using an e-kit with high quality samples would be the best way to go considering the project and budget (the project is a crossbreed of organic and electronic elements, so tracking with samples played by an e-drum kit fits right in with the aesthetic/concept).

If I were recording drums at a pro studio, I'd have 1 drum kit (perhaps a couple of snares to change out), in 1 room, with 1 micing setup for the entire session. So as long as the Grange is as expressive as my drumming, and can be mapped per song based upon what I am looking for, it should be as versatile as tracking in a studio. I was considering BFD3 + the Absolute Maple Expansion and the Deluxe Expansion pack prior to discovering The Grange...the Grange just feels extra special, so I'm hoping to make it work in this project as an alternative to tracking in a pro studio.
Really depends on the drum sounds you want. The Grange is special, but so are a lot of other packages. The Grange is big, epic, and boomy. If that's what you want, you'll find it. The close mics aren't boomy, but they're not particularly versatile or special. Again, the rooms are the thing in this one.

Don't know what you're time table is like, but I would encourage you to wait to hear the new SSD5 stuff if you can.
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

I have tried the Slate SSD4 stuff but felt it was all a bit over processed for my tastes. BFD was the closest to what I like to hear, specifically these 2 expansions sounded pretty good to me Maple Custom and Deluxe Expansion. Mainly because they sound like a real kit and not over processed like the Slate stuff I heard.

Having used both, how would you compare the Grange to the Slate stuff? I heard the new Blackbird studio pack and it sounded pretty good but didn't sound as natural as the BFD stuff to my ears, and definitely not as natural as the Grange.
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Btw would you be down to post a couple of mp3s playing a beat with the grange, with the close, mid and epic mixes, so I could put them into a session and see if the sound will suit my productions?

Really wish there was some way to demo it as it is either gonna work for me or not it seems....
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have tried the Slate SSD4 stuff but felt it was all a bit over processed for my tastes. BFD was the closest to what I like to hear, specifically these 2 expansions sounded pretty good to me Maple Custom and Deluxe Expansion. Mainly because they sound like a real kit and not over processed like the Slate stuff I heard.

Having used both, how would you compare the Grange to the Slate stuff? I heard the new Blackbird studio pack and it sounded pretty good but didn't sound as natural as the BFD stuff to my ears, and definitely not as natural as the Grange.
I'd actually say The Grange and SSD are more similar than Spitfire would like to admit. I think I read somewhere that The Grange was recorded without any processing... Not sure what that means. It sounds pre eq'd and compressed to me. Maybe it's just a perfect storm of drums, mics and room.

If you want natural, BFD and AD are definitely in that camp. They require a lot more to get them rocking in a mix. Their stock stuff is very raw.

Yeah, if you have a midi file, just send it over with the bpm and I can bounce something for you really quick.
Old 31st January 2015
Been playing with this for a couple of days. These drums really are slamming, but there are some huge oversights. First, how could you not include a tight hi-hat? By that, I mean a tight hi-hat! Maybe I missed it, but do all three players really exclude that articulation? Also, I think the cymbals are really stunning in this collection, but I am finding it hard to control the levels of these. Maybe I am doing something wrong. I have been loading separate instances of Kontakt and adjusting them that way. And yeah, that bass drum hit connected to the cymbals gets really annoying. I would have to say my favorite is the Chad kit: man that bass drum thumps.
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Maniac

I play drums on push 64 pad controller, and i love being able to map out all the articulations over the 64 pads. That said, i find that the NI abbey road range of articulations is really great.

I am definitely interested in this grange library , it sounds great on the demos. I'm considering a new libraries for drums at the moment, and the different articulations as well as the sound are going to factor in to decisions.

I don't know if spitfire would ever consider splitting out some of the kits and selling individual kits for kontakt minus the midi files and loops for people like me and others who just want sounds to trigger via their own playing. I'm liking the sound of the new drum drops vintage kit, and i like that pricing model. I'm really not trying to spend more than 50-100 dollars per kit. I am attracted to ala carte kits for kontakt more than complete drum programs.

Anyways i know what i'm saying is a little different than the focus of this library. I understand the focus is more on the drummers style which is far superior to guys like me, but there is a market for people like us who just want sounds to trigger.
Old 31st January 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerchunis View Post
I play drums on push 64 pad controller, and i love being able to map out all the articulations over the 64 pads. That said, i find that the NI abbey road range of articulations is really great.

I am definitely interested in this grange library , it sounds great on the demos. I'm considering a new libraries for drums at the moment, and the different articulations as well as the sound are going to factor in to decisions.

I don't know if spitfire would ever consider splitting out some of the kits and selling individual kits for kontakt minus the midi files and loops for people like me and others who just want sounds to trigger via their own playing. I'm liking the sound of the new drum drops vintage kit, and i like that pricing model. I'm really not trying to spend more than 50-100 dollars per kit. I am attracted to ala carte kits for kontakt more than complete drum programs.

Anyways i know what i'm saying is a little different than the focus of this library. I understand the focus is more on the drummers style which is far superior to guys like me, but there is a market for people like us who just want sounds to trigger.
Yeah, I would look elsewhere if you are looking for articulations, cause this library doesn't have many. As it's been said, it's more about that enormous sound.
Old 31st January 2015
Gear Maniac

Totally off the current subject but I was rather surprised not to see Jason Bonham's name attached to this (for obvious reasons), but especially since he also was involved with Spitfire on the Hans Zimmer Percussion. Or maybe that's Volume 2?
Old 31st January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It sounds to me like there was only a very short window of availability for recording at Headley Grange. This would explain why the features are not all-encompassing and, maybe also, the selection of drummers. They've got to have space in their calendars at the right time. It is all about producing *that* sound while at the same time reflecting the individual drummers' playing styles. Within that remit, I'd say an amazing job has been done.
Old 1st February 2015
Lives for gear

LOL .... so funny.

Roger Taylor is a such a lovey. Brian May always says of Roger .... "and he has this special thing that he never hit a cymbal without a bass drum behind it"

Like it's some sort of unique technique.

So Spitfire Audio come to record him for a SAMPLE SET (not a record) and he refuses to give them isolated cymbal hits .... just classic stuff. That'll teach Spitfire Audio for courting a "rock legend" - it's bordering on Spinal Tap!

I won't be buying it .... I like the idea but definitely not the execution. (whom I kidding I'll end up buying it :-)

Last edited by thehightenor; 1st February 2015 at 09:06 PM..
Old 12th February 2015
I wonder if you can get it without all of the loops. As a drummer those are useless to me. But the samples sound great.
Old 12th February 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfereeno View Post
I wonder if you can get it without all of the loops. As a drummer those are useless to me. But the samples sound great.
You could just delete the loops.
Old 3rd April 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Any further advice regarding the OP's post?

I have been trying for hours to get midi notes from my SPD SX into KONTAKT with zero joy. Its receiving note info from my controller keyboard fine. I've set the pads to notes with instruments on them and trawled for advice on settings and tried all i can think of. My interface midi data light constantly flashes when the SPD SX is connected which is perhaps promising (could be the click info) but it doesn't seem to register any pad hit info. Should be a simple thing no?

Using a U-phoria UMC1820 interface into a windows PC running Kontakt 5.3 and pro tools

SPD SX settings
midi
global ch - 1
midi sync -auto
local control - off (tried on also)
soft thru - off
usb midi i/f - on

option
usb mode - audio/midi
📝 Reply