NAMM 2015: Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 plugins released - Page 9 - Gearspace
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NAMM 2015: Focusrite Red 2 and Red 3 plugins released
Old 24th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave ➡️
I don't use Protools, but this quote just made me think again how weird the focusrite's "focus" on their plugins really is. It seems to be a total lottery.

Why is Midnight less important than the new Red? Why not support full set of plugins rather than jump from one to another every few years. Sure it's an extra cost to hire a developer to work on the code, but I'd gather it'd be worth it when customers actually trusted the company.

I just realized this when I was about to reply that I also have relied on (Plugin Alliance's) elysia Alpha and Mpressor lately. They just work and I feel quite confident with Plugin Alliance's stuff. They get updates when needed - work on every platform, they sound great, support is top notch.

Sorry to sound such a whiner, but the more I think of Focusrite's way of dealing with their plugins makes me want to uninstall them all. Too bad I have Midnight all over my projects so I may need to stick with them for a while longer.

I'm not sure exactly what their thinking is. They have stated that the Midnight Suite was actually just their old Forte Suite (which was TDM only) with a new GUI. In coming out with it as Midnight, they made it available in other formats like AU and VST. I don't know why they changed it to a new GUI and name, as opposed to just saying "here's the Forte Suite now available in other formats".

However, with these new Red plugins, I believe they mentioned that they started from scratch again in developing these plugins. It's confusing because it's all based on the original ISA console, just in various incarnations.
Old 24th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 ➡️
However, with these new Red plugins, I believe they mentioned that they started from scratch again in developing these plugins. It's confusing because it's all based on the original ISA console, just in various incarnations.
Started from scratch? Keep in mind that Midnight and RED plugins null with quite a few knob positions.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm using Pro Tools 9 and these do not come up using FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper.
Old 27th February 2015 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benprogfuse ➡️
I'm using Pro Tools 9 and these do not come up using FXpansion VST to RTAS wrapper.
Hi there,
I am sorry that you are having issues.
Unfortunately The Red Plug-In Suite was not designed to be used with 'wrappers' like this, as a result there has not been any official testing with applications of this nature although you may find a working solution.

Kind regards,

John Loftus // Focusrite | Novation Technical Support.
Old 6th March 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi John! Any news about an update to fix the problems?
Old 8th March 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I've used a real Red 3 on many sessions; I'm happy to have these plug-ins, they sound really great.
Old 9th March 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Orff ➡️
I've used a real Red 3 on many sessions; I'm happy to have these plug-ins, they sound really great.
I am happy with them too
Old 28th March 2015 | Show parent
pjk
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You know a little research goes a long way ( as already mentioned by john from focusrite ):

From wikipedia : The Red Range (1993) The Red Range was based on the successful ISA 110 and ISA 130 products and retained the original Focusrite Ltd circuit designs.

So the original hardware ISA products are the same products as the original red range in terms of sound ( negating any component or spec changes over the years ).

I agree the large price increase for the red over the midnight plugins should have mean't that focusrite clearly state they are in fact the same product in terms of basic sound at least. That cannot reasonably be argued with. However, i can't imagine anyone spending £229 on a plugin that you get free with a £79 interface !

On the plus side, the red/midnight plugins sound absolutely fantastic to me and certainly sound nicer to my ears than the waves SSL when i tried it a few years ago. I have never tried the hardware but these plugins sound better than any others i own and without directly comparing them they also sound nicer than any of my modest hardware eq's and compressors ( for mixing anyway ). Considering these plugins are free for most current customers, that is a pretty good deal and a reason to buy a focusrite interface imo. Having these plugins basically enables you to mimic ( minus preamp, bus cross talk etc ) a hallowed forte desk itb. That is amazing when you think about it.

I have found the saffire pro ( old pro 26 i/o ) preamps to have a worse real world s/n ratio than mackie onyx preamps ( despite EN specs ) and to be less smooth / more clinical sounding via a more pronounced / detailed high end but with very little headroom. They certainly have their uses as a neutral pre. I know they added a much needed pad on a few channels on the new range though.

I have found focusrite customer and technical support to be just about the best around.

Last edited by pjk; 28th March 2015 at 06:32 PM..
Old 29th April 2015
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I've been using the Red EQ and I really like the way that it 'EQs', but does anyone find that it reduces the dynamic range a bit or kinda flattens whatever is passing through it? Am I imagining that? Or is there some kinda built-in saturation?

edit: nevermind, I think I am imagining things.

Last edited by The Bad Motor; 30th April 2015 at 01:02 PM..
Old 29th April 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jordan Bennett from Focusrite Novation Tech Support contacted me a few days ago and told me they are working to resolve the issues with the plugins. Hope it won't take much long because I'm lately using the comp so much in the 2buss.
Old 29th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
On Logic Pro X under latest Yosemite Red2, and Red3 are crashing Logic on quit.

Edit: After reinstalling Logic X everything is OK.

No problems.

Last edited by Den; 13th June 2015 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: edit
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den ➡️
On Logic Pro X under latest Yosemite Red2, and Red3 are crashing Logic on quit.
The same on other system 10.6.8 under Logic 9.
I've had no issues running the Red plugins in Logic 9 but I've stuck with OSX 10.9.5.

You might want to check if anyone was able to get it to work under OSX 10.6.
Deleted User
Actually I reinstalled them again under 10.6.8 in Logic 9 and they works nice.

No crash on Logic quit.

Interesting.

Old 30th May 2015
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Great. Took me a while to find use for Red3 but I do use it occasionally these days.
Old 23rd June 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
I found interesting info on KVR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble
Some information from me:

1. I don't know what DSP is used in these new plugins. I didn't write them.
2. The compressor in the ISA130 is VERY slightly different to the Red 3, so you might be hearing that.
3. There's no real measurable distortion from those units. There's nothing to model. They're designed to have unbelievably low THD+N figures. In modelling them, there was nothing to do for distortion. They even have incredibly high headroom so you can't even drive them. A lot of people seem to think that analogue designers in pro-audio deliberately impart distortion - well, in the British lineages, avoidance of distortion at all costs has always been the philosophy.
4. I did Forte Suite. d2 and d3 were the work of my mentor Paul Neyrinck at Digidesign. We started a 430 plugin together, which got scrapped, and then later I did models of the ISA 110 and 130 which became the Forte suite.
5. To the best of my knowledge, the Midnight Suite uses the Forte suite compressor and EQ code.
6. Accurate preamp modelling *requires* some hardware component due to the (very important) effects of reflected impedance.
7. I'd love to resurrect the Forte Suite. I'm not sure it's a good-fit DMGAudio product, and I suspect Focusrite have their own plans in this direction.
8. In the decade since I left, I suspect Focusrite have acquired some new DSP engineers. I certainly heard as much in conversation. So don't discount the possibility that this is an all-new model. I honestly don't know.

Dave.
Some specs:
Focusrite ISA 110

The mic amp noise figure is -123dB EIN (Equivalent Input Noise) for a 150(omega) source, and in use, the ISA 110 preamp is extremely quiet at all operating levels. It also boasts a THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) figure of 0.0008 percent, which is orders of magnitude better than most designs.

So clean plugin is advantage after all this info.
I am really impressed with the compressor.

Shootout between hardware and plugins:
Slate FG-RED vs Focusrite Red 3 vs Hardware

Last edited by Den; 23rd June 2015 at 02:10 AM..
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Let me tell you that for this price these plugins are not worth it. The red 2 eq is nothing special to be honest. There are free eqs better sounding than this.
The red3 compressor worked fine on a slow synth pad. With more complex sources it began to struggle whereas the top plugin comps like oldtimer and glue performed well, which shows that these comps are more refined despite the price.
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I agree with you mate, also after all this time they haven't released an update to fix the problems. I have been partially involved sending my experience with the plugin in Pro Tools and Logic throught their chat and video recordings of my screen I have made with Screenflow, and no news. My luck I get them for free. Just my 2 cents.
Old 4th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO ➡️
I agree with you mate, also after all this time they haven't released an update to fix the problems. I have been partially involved sending my experience with the plugin in Pro Tools and Logic throught their chat and video recordings of my screen I have made with Screenflow, and no news. My luck I get them for free. Just my 2 cents.
I think the priced it ridiculously so that their scarlett gets an upperhand in the market. When you look at it, you are getting 299 euro worth of plugins for free with scarlett. That will motivate buyers .
The plugin is subpar. Still you can see many users here praising it.
Old 4th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I wouldn't call it subpar. Sure it's definitely not worth $300, but the sound is still there. Both the EQ and the compressor have a smoothness that isn't abundant in other software and getting it for free definitely adds something to a newbies arsenal.
Old 4th October 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mania ➡️
I wouldn't call it subpar. Sure it's definitely not worth $300, but the sound is still there. Both the EQ and the compressor have a smoothness that isn't abundant in other software and getting it for free definitely adds something to a newbies arsenal.
Smoothness? Such an exaggeration ! I can name a lot of eqs free and sub-50$ that sound much better than this. But Ill just name the free ones now . Sonimus eq , Luftikus , Slick free version, acustica ochre , Acustica red .. ALL of them sound better . Even REAPERS STOCK EQ sounds better.
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds nothing like D2 and D3 obviously, which are superior in terms of the industry sound...
Old 15th December 2015 | Show parent
M2E
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Loftus ➡️
Hi there,
I am sorry that you are having issues.
Unfortunately The Red Plug-In Suite was not designed to be used with 'wrappers' like this, as a result there has not been any official testing with applications of this nature although you may find a working solution.

Kind regards,

John Loftus // Focusrite | Novation Technical Support.
Hey John, they seem to work great with DDMF's Metaplugin.
Haven't tried them with Bluecat's Patchworks.

I own the Midnight plugin now and I absolutely love it.
I totally forgot about this page and was doing some "always wanted to get" plugin purchasing and this one came to mind since I was a huge ISA hardware lover (Mic Pre/EQ).
Anyway, once I purchased the Midnight, and ran through different testing, it's in my workflow. Great plugin and great that you guys made it for RTAS users.
Was there ever a TDM version? I still use a TDM system and this would be great for that.
I could have swore that you guys did a TDM version of this but can't find it anywhere.
This would save me on Native processing.

Thanks so much again,

Marc
Old 16th December 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
M2E: Forte Suite is the one to find and get for TDM and RTAS, if the the last or older versions run on your rig... good stuff by Dave DMG Gamble.

It's my understanding Midnight and Red were derived from Forte.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, seems that Focusrite have been working to fix the issues. Just received an email from them giving access to a new beta version:

Red Plug-In Suite 1.0b5 Released on 02-02-16 14:45
Changes since 1.0 release:

- Fixed Logic Pro crashing when closing project.
- Fixed parameter changing when moving between tracks on Pro Tools.
- Fixed parameter changing on project save/load.
- Fixed text fields clearing when tabbing away.
- Fixed issue where tab key entered white space in email/password fields.

Focusrite / Novation Beta Testing :: Releases

I cannot test them as I'm going to be out of my studio for almost all the week. Will be great if anyone could give us first impressions.
Old 2nd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, I asked my wife to turn on my mac pro and I have connected to it through my Tablet and Google remote desktop . I have tested it and I can afirm that all Pro Tools bugs had gone. Time to start working with the comp again
Old 11th February 2016
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yep, thankful for the email, probably wouldn't have thought to check the beta site otherwise.
AAX working fine here too.
Old 15th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So this is the same old focusrite plugs with new Gui and added extra 200 to the price tag?
I mean, I hate complaining about stuff like this, because devs need to make money too, right?
But the fact that they never responded to any of those questions early on in the thread....and the fact that it is that much more expensive....yikes.

I'm sure if they were more honest about it, more people would be interested. Maybe thats just me
Old 16th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Carlyon ➡️
So this is the same old focusrite plugs with new Gui and added extra 200 to the price tag?
I mean, I hate complaining about stuff like this, because devs need to make money too, right?
But the fact that they never responded to any of those questions early on in the thread....and the fact that it is that much more expensive....yikes.

I'm sure if they were more honest about it, more people would be interested. Maybe thats just me
That was over 4 years ago. Is this even for sale still?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have the TDM Protools Red 2 Eq plugin and the actual Red 2 hardware EQ. The 2 are quite different. The hardware is probably the most amazing design. It is the most beautiful unit in the rack. Very solid and very heavy.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldie wave ➡️
I have the TDM Protools Red 2 Eq plugin and the actual Red 2 hardware EQ. The 2 are quite different. The hardware is probably the most amazing design. It is the most beautiful unit in the rack. Very solid and very heavy.
Agree about the hardware. The plugin was great when it was released WAY back then, relative to the other options available, but eq technology has taken several giant leaps since then. I remember it having a very strong character -- a harshness -- which could still be great for the right source.
📝 Reply