Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   NAMM 2015: AVID Pro Tools 12 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/981410-namm-2015-avid-pro-tools-12-a.html)

Sky 10th March 2015 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderTow (Post 10872897)
There is nothing in the law as far as I am aware that binds company management to favour short term profits over long term profits. When companies are run by incompetent managers as is the case with Avid (or corrupt, hard to tell from the outside) and the majority share holders are large institutions with little or no knowledge of the markets in which said company operates, you get the kind of mess that Avid are from a business perspective.

This has nothing to do with the law. It is the direct result of systemic incompetence (or corruption).

Alistair

Agree. Apple's Tim Cook famously told a dissenting climate change skeptic in a shareholder meeting to "get out of Apple stock". Yes, someone could have brought charges for that, but proving Apple's negligence or shareholder harm due to being planet-conscious would have been basically impossible. AVID shareholders would have an easier time suing the company for incompetence imho, and that's no slam dunk either.

Sky

tekn0 10th March 2015 02:59 AM

Any chance of HEAT native in PT12? It's been like 5 years now since it's release? Maybe it would be a good time to offer it finally.

The Oracle 10th March 2015 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSt0rm (Post 10881721)
I see no reason to upgrade.

I was considering that option myself to be honest. However, the last thing I want is to have no option but to purchase a brand new licence with hardware as I understand that's the only other option I have with PT HD.

Also, the upgrade to PT HD 12 is actually cheaper than the upgrade I had to pay for PT 11 HD. I also get on to a support plan which I didn't get with my last upgrade.

I will more than likely bite the bullet. I'm simply not interested in changing DAWs.

The Oracle 10th March 2015 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0 (Post 10881858)
Any chance of HEAT native in PT12? It's been like 5 years now since it's release? Maybe it would be a good time to offer it finally.

With the amount of alternative plugins on the market at good prices, I think the addition of HEAT is no longer important. I also believe HEAT has to use the AAX DSP and TDM architectures to work. Therefore, I'm not sure Avid would want to invest the time, effort and money to develop a native version.

VCC 2.0 and VTM give me all the warmth I need.

tekn0 10th March 2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oracle (Post 10882433)
With the amount of alternative plugins on the market at good prices, I think the addition of HEAT is no longer important. I also believe HEAT has to use the AAX DSP and TDM architectures to work. Therefore, I'm not sure Avid would want to invest the time, effort and money to develop a native version.

VCC 2.0 and VTM give me all the warmth I need.

They mentioned this in 2010:

"Avid certainly recognizes that there will be demand for the HEAT process on the host, and more importantly that without it, true round-trip session interoperability will not be possible.”

It's about moving sessions, compatibility, and the new online collaboration features. Plus heat sounds amazing, very different from VCC and vtm.

I don't see avid abandoning a 3 year dev project either.

Hide 10th March 2015 03:49 PM

Can anyone confirm about MIDI Thru problem?(Windows version)
PT11 has this problem...

drichard 10th March 2015 03:50 PM

Yes, I found that pretty amusing as well. Cool Edit Pro had floating point in, what, 1996? And I'm not certain, but I think Samplitude was floating point from its first release, around the same time.

The other "feature" in PT10 that I find hysterical is 'Clip Gain'. I'm a Samplitude user, and they have had full-blown, all-out clip (object) capabilities for years and years. Light years better, just about every capability that can be done to a track, and maybe 15 years earlier. 'Gain' is only the most trivial of its capabilities, hardly even worth mentioning. But I've read posts from PT users who consider Clip Gain a huge feature. :facepalm: If you've never had it, it's a big deal I suppose.

Dean



Quote:

Originally Posted by frenzy (Post 10857189)
I hear ya!

Personally I found it amusing when Pro Tools finally jumped on the float point processing "train". Years and years, more than a decade even, of defending the 48 bit fixed point summing bus and the 24 bit signal path - then suddenly Pro Tools had more than, and I'm quoting, "a 1000 dB of headroom" and "much more dynamic range for plug-in processing".

Well, they finally got it right. :lol:


Cheers
Fred
Sound On Sound contributor


The Oracle 10th March 2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekn0 (Post 10882679)
They mentioned this in 2010:

"Avid certainly recognizes that there will be demand for the HEAT process on the host, and more importantly that without it, true round-trip session interoperability will not be possible.”

It's about moving sessions, compatibility, and the new online collaboration features. Plus heat sounds amazing, very different from VCC and vtm.

I don't see avid abandoning a 3 year dev project either.

Well we are 5 years in and still no sign of a native version of HEAT.

tekn0 10th March 2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oracle (Post 10882760)
Well we are 5 years in and still no sign of a native version of HEAT.

Exactly! It seems like it should be any time now.

oceantracks 11th March 2015 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drichard (Post 10882723)
Yes, I found that pretty amusing as well. Cool Edit Pro had floating point in, what, 1996? And I'm not certain, but I think Samplitude was floating point from its first release, around the same time.

The other "feature" in PT10 that I find hysterical is 'Clip Gain'. I'm a Samplitude user, and they have had full-blown, all-out clip (object) capabilities for years and years. Light years better, just about every capability that can be done to a track, and maybe 15 years earlier. 'Gain' is only the most trivial of its capabilities, hardly even worth mentioning. But I've read posts from PT users who consider Clip Gain a huge feature. :facepalm: If you've never had it, it's a big deal I suppose.

Dean

Glad you're happy with your DAW.

Those of us who wish to use Pro Tools ...again....could care less what features some other DAW has that PT doesn't. We are glad when PT gets a feature we have wanted, no matter how long "Daves Cool DAW" has had it before PT.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Why do people think all DAW users are PC users?

Etc

TH

raffivegas 13th March 2015 07:00 AM

"Daves Cool DAW" LOL!

b1daly 13th March 2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderTow (Post 10872897)
And it is often the really small missing things that annoy me most. A typical example would be: I want to be able to toggle arrange view scrolling during playback from a key command. The fact that PT doesn't do this in 2015 is rather pathetic as all other DAWs I use or have used have had that since the late 90's or (their inception). Kind of a very obvious function methinks. But hey, we will soon be able to order plugins directly from within PT. :facepalm:

Now please tell me I am making a fool of myself and there is a key command to do exactly that! :)



There is nothing in the law as far as I am aware that binds company management to favour short term profits over long term profits. When companies are run by incompetent managers as is the case with Avid (or corrupt, hard to tell from the outside) and the majority share holders are large institutions with little or no knowledge of the markets in which said company operates, you get the kind of mess that Avid are from a business perspective.

This has nothing to do with the law. It is the direct result of systemic incompetence (or corruption).

Alistair

Hey Alistair, i develop the Hotkey Matrix, which is a keyboard controller for Pro Tools. It has 144 single key shortcuts for Pro Tools commands, including toggle page scrolling in arrange the edit window

drichard 13th March 2015 09:45 AM

It's not hard to understand why a PT user appreciates it when a feature that has been pervasive in other DAWs for 20 years gets added. I'm also a PT user. I'm happy they added floating point to PT 11, and find Clip Gain more useful than if it didn't exist.

But when a 20-year old feature gets added to PT, I'm more inclined to comment "FINALLY" than "Boy, that is the coolest feature ever. Isn't PT amazing"?

But that's just me. The original post I was responded to was about Avid's marketing and touting these amazing new features. Blowing them up as monumental breakthroughs. And to people in the know, they aren't.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oceantracks (Post 10884362)
Glad you're happy with your DAW.

Those of us who wish to use Pro Tools ...again....could care less what features some other DAW has that PT doesn't. We are glad when PT gets a feature we have wanted, no matter how long "Daves Cool DAW" has had it before PT.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Why do people think all DAW users are PC users?

Etc

TH


drichard 13th March 2015 10:08 AM

If that's funny to you, it's OK. The name is funny.

But I was a beta tester for Syntrillium before they sold to Adobe the product they now market as "Audition". The product has regressed under Adobe's banner.

Dave Johnston was a brilliant programmer, and so far ahead of his time it's ridiculous. He placed absolute value on sound quality and flexibility, and while he wasn't very good at marketing or names (I admit, I always thought Cool Edit Pro was a pretty hokey name too) he set the tone for many, many products that imitated him over the years. Things like floating point audio and 384K sample rates. Multitrack in 1997. He had a flexible pre-mixing algorithm that was many years ahead of the "Freeze Track" features every DAW offers now, and that would allow you to use nearly unlimited mixdown tracks on very limited PC's. And back then, processing power was still very limited. (I guess it would be bad form to mention that 20 years later, PT still doesn't offer even a primative Freeze track feature.)

The UI was aimed more at computer users than those making the transition from tape-based studios, and so his market was limited. And initially, most editing was destructive because of the limited processing power available.

Instead of improving it, Adobe crippled it. It has never evolved. But I think Dave made some money when he sold it, and I'm happy for him.

I was a low budget musician who made a lot of music on that product, and I'm very appreciative.

Dean



Quote:

Originally Posted by opeth13 (Post 10890425)
"Daves Cool DAW" LOL!


The Oracle 23rd March 2015 06:21 PM

Pro Tools 12 is now available.

Avid Everywhere

heraldo_jones 23rd March 2015 06:58 PM

Waiting for more info on the website. At the moment only the store have been updated giving the option to buy it.

The Oracle 23rd March 2015 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EL_HERALDO (Post 10916569)
Waiting for more info on the website. At the moment only the store have been updated giving the option to buy it.

I'm not sure Avid will release further information. They pretty much have everything covered already.

Avid | Pro Tools Software comparison table

Avid | Features - Pro Tools - Professional Audio Recording and Music Creation Software from Avid

[email protected] 23rd March 2015 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oracle (Post 10916469)
Pro Tools 12 is now available.

Avid Everywhere

The auth and download went pretty well.

Diogo C 23rd March 2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Oracle (Post 10916469)
Pro Tools 12 is now available.

Avid Everywhere

Brace yourselves!

Thanks for the heads up!

The Oracle 23rd March 2015 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 10916663)
The auth and download went pretty well.

Please do share your feedback on what you think regarding any new features and stability etc. I'm on HD but I'm holding off for now.

Thanks

Wonderbird 23rd March 2015 08:26 PM

I can't really support this any software any more. What used to be the best is now the old guy in the retirement home telling the same jokes over and over again in denying that its life is soon to be ended ...

To bad. Pro tools user pretty much my whole career. But the options are many and better.

Pali 23rd March 2015 08:41 PM

Freeze tracks?

RTR 23rd March 2015 08:50 PM

So, is there anything new except the cloud thing and the marketplace?

DCommand 23rd March 2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTR (Post 10916824)
So, is there anything new except the cloud thing and the marketplace?

Properly not, i´ll stay with PT11

oceantracks 23rd March 2015 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTR (Post 10916824)
So, is there anything new except the cloud thing and the marketplace?

New Features and Improvements in Pro Tools 12

Subscription, Avid Application Manager, and In-Application Plug-in Purchase

• ProTools12 provides new subscription and service options
• ProTools12 installs the Avid Application Manager to help manage your software updates and entitlements
• ProTools12 lets you browse, purchase, and install plug-ins from within the application

Dashboard

• The new Dashboard window lets you create or open sessions (replacing the Quick Start window)

Session Metadata

• The new Metadata Inspector window lets you view and edit metadata for sessions


I/O Setup Improvements

• Changes to the Output and Bus pages
• Virtually unlimited Bus paths
• Subpaths for Output paths
• Automatic downmix and upmix of Output busses to Outputs paths of different channel widths
• New Monitor Path setting
• Session Interchange and I/O Mapping improvements
• New keyboard modifiers for enabling and assigning Output busses
• Audition path improvements
• AFL/PFL path improvements
• Ability to restore the I/O Setup from the session
• I/O Settings files automatically created and recalled for different Playback Engines
• New Organize Track I/O Menus By preference
• Ability to import IO Settings from session files
• Access to the I/O Setup in the Session Notes dialog

RTR 23rd March 2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCommand (Post 10916837)
Properly not, i´ll stay with PT11

yup, me to. Dont look like anything that will make a difference to my workflow.

MarkyGoldstein 23rd March 2015 10:09 PM

There are many DAWs and they are surprisingly similar. It's not so hard to drive more than one...

diogo.zaccara 24th March 2015 12:18 AM

It isn't showing in my account, i bought PT11 last November, and as promised i should get a free upgrade to PT12, does anyone know what could be possibly happening?

Diogo C 24th March 2015 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo.zaccara (Post 10917297)
It isn't showing in my account, i bought PT11 last November, and as promised i should get a free upgrade to PT12, does anyone know what could be possibly happening?

Hey fellow Diogo,

From what I've read at their forums Avid is on the process of updating the accounts.

No cigar for me yet as well.

diogo.zaccara 24th March 2015 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diogo_c (Post 10917314)
Hey fellow Diogo,

From what I've read at their forums Avid is on the process of updating the accounts.

No cigar for me yet as well.

Hahaha, hey Diogo!

Thanks for the information man, i appreciate that!

PS.: It feels weird to talk to a fellow brasilian in english, haha!