Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   NAMM 2015: AVID Pro Tools 12 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/981410-namm-2015-avid-pro-tools-12-a.html)

The Beatsmith 21st January 2015 02:07 PM

He probably means the yearly OS X updates.

Updating to v12 when v11 hadn't really matured yet seems... premature heh

Champagne Ivers 21st January 2015 02:09 PM

Still confused where that leaves those of us who upgraded to 11 in the last 6 months?

TexasCat 21st January 2015 02:13 PM

I just recently upgraded to 11! I'm still not using it because of a few plugins. Let's see what 12 brings. I may have to just abandon those few plugins that are holding me back...

soulfield 21st January 2015 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elambo (Post 10739211)
Everything I need to compose, record, edit and mix? So they fixed the record input bug which still remains in PT10? ......

(oh... they're *not* going to do that? huh, that seems odd)

This x 1,000,000

Every other DAW in the world allows input monitoring through the software I/O to be turned off. If this is not corrected in 12 then its the nail in the coffin and shows how out of touch AVID has become.

:cop: And no LLM does not address the issue AVID! :cop:

Avening 21st January 2015 02:38 PM

Am I the only one who is genuinely unimpressed and uninterested in what Avid has to say these days?

PT12 now? Sure ... whatever.

Never used to be like that. I've been using PT since v6. Currently use 11.

tofermusic 21st January 2015 03:14 PM

o.O

makinghits 21st January 2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheu78 (Post 10739751)
I really can't understand why these companies (Avid, but not only them of course..Apple and other brands comes to mind) have to come up with new crap every year.. ??? confoosed

What I mean is PREPARE/BUILD your product with care and then you could announce it and eventually sell it...when it's READY and works as it's supposed to do..not before!

I don' t understand the run to the new version.. why??
Cheu

Money

cheu78 21st January 2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jswitch (Post 10740237)
Are you even a Logic user?
Logic had a gap for about 4 years between version 9 and 10.
And that upgrade was minimal at best. If only Apple did what you say it does way more people would've have been satisfied I think.

No Logic user and never will.. not for me.
I'm speaking about PT..(and referred about apple hw/sw releases (not logic).. like an iphone, ipad, iwhatever.. was quite obvious that logic was not so important for apple..or was not generating the amount of $ that other products did, so they concentraded their efforts where the $ was).

Probably common sense would help.. upgrades might be very useful and welcome indeed..just not when your last version is not functioning 100%.. and still so fresh..
PT11 didn't come out 4 years ago, it's not even 2 years old.

Just my 0.02$,

howdy

Cheu

Alekto 21st January 2015 03:39 PM

Since they're presumably never going to support VST, I'd like them to include a wrapper. I'd be ok with that and willing to fork out the upgrade costs.

UnderTow 21st January 2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey MTC (Post 10739816)
It's hard to say this without it being taken the wrong way, but I'm thinking they need to continually sell stuff to make money to stay in business. Surely it's no more complicated than that. Development can never stop or so does the money.

Pro Tools is still ubiquitous in the studio game which of course is a blessing to Avid, but they still need to find ways to either get new people to buy it or get existing customers to upgrade it - on an ongoing basis. It's a bloody tough gig!

A big part of the reason many don't upgrade is because new versions introduce new bugs and new problems. I think consistently having more solid and stable releases makes people trust a company and therefore more likely to upgrade.

So yes, I agree, they are doing it to keep the cash flow going but IMO they (and MANY other companies) are looking at the short term and end up shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to the long term.

And yes, you are right about it being a bloody tough gig! Especially for a company with incompetent management! ;) (I couldn't resist sliding that one in there).

Alistair

UnderTow 21st January 2015 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Avening (Post 10740310)
Am I the only one who is genuinely unimpressed and uninterested in what Avid has to say these days?

PT12 now? Sure ... whatever.

Oh come on!

Scientific American magazine has a page every months with science news articles from 25, 50 and 100 years ago. Some of those articles and ideas are rather quaint.

The Avid PT12 new features list will probably be similarly quaint in a "Where was the DAW world at a decade ago" kind of way. Well worth a read and a laugh!

;)


Alistair

narcoman 21st January 2015 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX (Post 10739744)
^THIS

:facepalm:

Im okay with it.

Not pleased about the increase in versions of everything coming out these day s- but thats markets for you. What DO you do when everybody has everything? Apples biggest problem is we all HAVE I-phones etc.....

Looking forward to what they have in PT12 and... i am alone in this i think ... looking forward to a subscription based model. Serving me very very well with Adobe at the moment. And Unity

DJ Bechara 21st January 2015 04:19 PM

When should we expect all those announcements ? on what day ? tomorrow ?

Diogo C 21st January 2015 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheu78 (Post 10740430)

PT11 didn't come out 4 years ago, it's not even 2 years old.

No software has such long cycles these days. Logic might be the only exception, but Logic is "exceptional" is other ways as well. Steinberg is releasing a new iteration of Cubase every 2 years, with a big dot five update in between. No surprises there.

I just got into PT with that cross-grade offer from PTEX which seemed like a good value to me, so I'm covered until 2016. My only hopes for PT12 are input monitoring as others have rightfully pointed and VCA/proper groups on the non-HD version.

narcoman 21st January 2015 04:37 PM

individual input monitoring? Like on HD. Yeah that;d be useful - although these days I'm using my HD licenses as native really.

Psychlist1972 21st January 2015 04:40 PM

I'm not a Pro Tools user, but generally speaking, software is expensive to develop. For a smaller company with no other revenue streams, you have to pick one of these:
A. Charge a ton a provide many free updates for a few years
B. Charge market price, but come out with new versions frequently
C. Subscription.

Fwiw, I've been quite happy with my Creative Cloud subscription with adobe. Updates get slipstreamed. Not sure I'd want that for all software, but if it improved quality and was reasonably priced, I'd love to have that with Cubase.

Pete

Jorg 21st January 2015 04:43 PM

Is there a "new features list" anywhere?

Avening 21st January 2015 04:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderTow (Post 10740565)
Oh come on!

Scientific American magazine has a page every months with science news articles from 25, 50 and 100 years ago. Some of those articles and ideas are rather quaint.

The Avid PT12 new features list will probably be similarly quaint in a "Where was the DAW world at a decade ago" kind of way. Well worth a read and a laugh!

;)


Alistair

To be honest, I'm surprised that PT 12 was leaked so quickly ... they only made a slight mention of it in the latest issue of their web-zine:

DJ Bechara 21st January 2015 04:44 PM

Cubase looks so ... atari to me lol ...

I totally love Pro Tools interface !

Kcatthedog 21st January 2015 04:46 PM

Clarity AVID please
 
who knows what this means for non subscribers or for subscribers, for current bug fixes and actual value added recording elements

can't your guys use option k to toggle input monitoring ?

bgrotto 21st January 2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10740578)
looking forward to a subscription based model. Serving me very very well with Adobe at the moment. And Unity

Wondering what exactly about it is serving you well? I'm skeptical of Avid's decision to shift to the subscription model, but to be fair, I've never used such a model before so I can't say for certain.

narcoman 21st January 2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 10740692)
Wondering what exactly about it is serving you well? I'm skeptical of Avid's decision to shift to the subscription model, but to be fair, I've never used such a model before so I can't say for certain.

With Adobe its simple:


£38 a month and I get the use of all of their creative cloud stuff. Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, Muse and others. Updates are regular.

For them its a regular income stream which means they can tackle bugs that are discovered rather than a development cycle of trickle income and then product release. What works for them, works for me as a customer. I'm getting (at the moment) the service I need. Online permanent chat room for support as well.

IF Avid go that route then it'd be easy to get on with... but we'll see eh? Logically follow it with hardware leasing..... !!

Jim Rosebrook 21st January 2015 04:59 PM

One guess at a Pro Tools 12 new feature
 
Here's a guess at a new Pro Tools 12 feature.

Ability to assign license to Computer rather than iLok dongle... (not leaving iLok service, but just enabling the non-dongle option)

Clue is that iLok License manager got a recent update that among the improvements were a more robust ability to support storing licenses on computer.

So this may not be a big deal to some... but some laptop users may be very pleased with this option.

nst7 21st January 2015 05:01 PM

For those thinking this is too soon for a new version of Protools, it's not.

It's actually right on schedule based on their history for several years now.

It has been almost two years since PT11 was announced (April of 2013). This is pretty consistent with most of their past releases, which are generally 1 1/2 to 2 years, with the minor exception of PT10, which came out only a year after PT9.

nst7 21st January 2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Champagne Ivers (Post 10740252)
Still confused where that leaves those of us who upgraded to 11 in the last 6 months?

It depends on when you upgraded. If you upgraded anytime after their announcement about new support plans/subscriptions, etc. (which was October 10th), then you are entitled to free upgrades for a year (or more), so you will get PT12 free. If you upgraded before that date, you would need to buy a support plan, which includes 1year of upgrades. That is $199 for non-HD and $599 for HD.

narcoman 21st January 2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook (Post 10740714)
Here's a guess at a new Pro Tools 12 feature.

Ability to assign license to Computer rather than iLok dongle... (not leaving iLok service, but just enabling the non-dongle option)

Clue is that iLok License manager got a recent update that among the improvements were a more robust ability to support storing licenses on computer.

So this may not be a big deal to some... but some laptop users may be very pleased with this option.

agreed!

Diogo C 21st January 2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 10740719)
For those thinking this is too soon for a new version of Protools, it's not.

It's actually right on schedule based on their history for several years now.

It has been almost two years since PT11 was announced (April of 2013). This is pretty consistent with most of their past releases, which are generally 1 1/2 to 2 years, with the minor exception of PT10, which came out only a year after PT9.

Agreed - no surprises.

I also think that they felt like a new version was something needed to launch the new licensing/subscription model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook (Post 10740714)
Here's a guess at a new Pro Tools 12 feature.

Ability to assign license to Computer rather than iLok dongle... (not leaving iLok service, but just enabling the non-dongle option)

Clue is that iLok License manager got a recent update that among the improvements were a more robust ability to support storing licenses on computer.

So this may not be a big deal to some... but some laptop users may be very pleased with this option.

That would be very good news indeed.

bgrotto 21st January 2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 10740719)
For those thinking this is too soon for a new version of Protools, it's not.

It's actually right on schedule based on their history for several years now.

It has been almost two years since PT11 was announced (April of 2013). This is pretty consistent with most of their past releases, which are generally 1 1/2 to 2 years, with the minor exception of PT10, which came out only a year after PT9.

I think Pro Tools 11 *seems* newer to many users because it's only somewhat recently that third party developers have caught up with PT11's new software requirements (64-bit, aax, et al).

Psychlist1972 21st January 2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by narcoman (Post 10740713)
With Adobe its simple:


£38 a month and I get the use of all of their creative cloud stuff. Photoshop, Audition, Premiere, Muse and others. Updates are regular.

For them its a regular income stream which means they can tackle bugs that are discovered rather than a development cycle of trickle income and then product release. What works for them, works for me as a customer. I'm getting (at the moment) the service I need. Online permanent chat room for support as well.

IF Avid go that route then it'd be easy to get on with... but we'll see eh? Logically follow it with hardware leasing..... !!

It's not perfect, but if they truly get into that model's mindset, it will encourage the right kind of behavior: evolution instead of saving up for big releases.

Pete

nst7 21st January 2015 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgrotto (Post 10740739)
I think Pro Tools 11 *seems* newer to many users because it's only somewhat recently that third party developers have caught up with PT11's new software requirements (64-bit, aax, et al).

You are right about that. I think it was about 6 months before the big players like Waves got their AAX together. Combined with various PT11 bugs, it may seem to a lot of people that it really hasn't been truly useable that long. I assume that's because it was a total overhaul. Whereas the older versions didn't take long to get up and running beyond the initial release.