The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
CAPI FC526 500 Series Compressor
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Guts.

Unfortunately, it will have black knobs when released.
Attached Thumbnails
CAPI FC526 500 Series Compressor-10898282_1034752579884457_1917699267774262417_n.jpg  
Old 19th January 2015 | Show parent
Lud
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark ➡️
Guts.

Thanks Mark!
It doesn't seem too hard to make, i mean i was thinking of something more frightening. Three opamp? As i buy them already made, that will increase the price.
I've juste finished my second JLM LA500 and i can't wait for this release...

Cheers
Old 19th January 2015
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Sure thing!

It looks a bit difficult. Depending on the price, I may get one as my second ever outboard compressor.
Old 20th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Want!

grunt-

NEED!

grunt-
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Guts.

What's unfortunate about that?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 ➡️
What's unfortunate about that?
I like the API style of blue.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I like the API style of blue.
Maybe you could get the blue dots to put on the knobs
Old 21st January 2015
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the color scheme of the knobs in the OP. Looks great, why ruin a great thing?
Any pricing yet?
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
prices are on Jeffs FB page
Old 29th January 2015
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
"I have just finished up kit pricing for the new 500 series CAPI FC526 Compressor. The FET based full kit bundle will be $294.99. This price is for everything except the three audio path opamps that are required. As you can imagine, there will be a huge amount of possible configurations due to the module using three opamps. I will have three available kit bundles at the store to try and simplify what is a little complicated.

Option #1 : All Discrete Audio Path. This will include the FC526 Entire Bundle of $294.99. You will have the choice of no opamps (supply your own), three of Scott’s red dots (add $180), three gar2520 kits (add $52.50) or three gar1731 kits (add $51.93). Due to the volume of opamps required, we cannot offer built versions of Gary’s opamps with the FC526. We would however like to keep Scott and his minions…buried

Option #2 : Discrete + 1 IC Audio Path. This will include the FC526 Entire Bundle of $294.99 and one LME49710 IC to DOA adapter kit so a new base price of $300.19. From there, you will have the choice to add two red dots (add $130), two gar2520 kits (add $35.00) or two gar1731 kits (add $34.62). The chip can be used in the Receiver position or the VVR Signal Preamp position. Experimentation recommended!

Option #3 : Discrete + 2 IC Audio Path. This will include the FC526 Entire Bundle of $294.99 and two LME49710 IC to DOA adapter kits so a new base price of $305.39. From there, you will have the choice to add one red dot (add $65), one gar2520 kit (add $17.50), add one gar1731 kit (add $17.31) or one BB2521 LME49710 Hybrid kit (add $9.58). The Output amp should be a 2520 style or equivalent.

I am shooting for a late February 2015 release date for the kits. Thanks for listening!!"
Old 29th January 2015
Lud
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
295 + 180 + shipping & insurance = at least 500 bucks = 441 euros + 20% if catch by french customs = 530 euros... I won't have to screw up the soldering job! Hope it will not pass through the customs like it does happen sometime.
Old 29th January 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I thought it was going to be more, at least for the base kit without the DOAs. Pleasantly surprised.

Has Jeff given any summary of the units tonally? Is it aimed to be a kind of "LoveChild" compressor; an API compressor with the 1176 parameters/specs?

Whatever it is, I'm certain it can't possibly be something that I wouldn't like.
Old 30th January 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReckNC00 ➡️
....Has Jeff given any summary of the units tonally? Is it aimed to be a kind of "LoveChild" compressor; an API compressor with the 1176 parameters/specs?
This is pretty much right on point!
Gear Addict

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiger ➡️
This is pretty much right on point!
... And it was good.
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are these going to be available fully assembled?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee ➡️
Are these going to be available fully assembled?
Classic Audio Products of IL, Inc.
Old 4th February 2015
Lives for gear

This looks pretty awesome!
Old 5th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
FC526 Drum Clips

My friend Johnny K was kind enough to send me some drum clips featuring the FC526 Limiters. The band is Kobra And The Lotus from Calgary. The song snippet is The Spirit Of Radio. This is part of a yet to be released EP they are finishing off of some choice Canadian classic rock tunes. The band is crazy great! The drums were tracked at Johnny’s Groovemaster Studio in Chicago. His tracking room sounds insanely good. The drums are all live and real except a small percentage of sampled kick mixed in.

So we have a few files that will let you play around with some varying amounts of parallel compression. Besides the complete band snippet, they will all line up when you import them into your favorite DAW.

First are drums with no parallel compression:
1_KatL_Spirit_Drums-NO-Par-Comp

Next is only the drum bus thru a pair of FC526’s set to 8:1:
2_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_8-1

Here is only the drum bus thru the FC526’s with some moderate All Buttons In action:
4_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_ABI-Gentle

This clip is also FC526 ABI but smashed to all hell! BTW, this is what Johnny used in his mix:
3_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_ABI-Smash

This is Johnny's drum mix with the smashed ABI parallel mixed in:
5_KatL_Spirit_Drums-JK-Mix

And for some context, the full band mix:
6_KatL_Spirit_Full_Band

BTW, I am almost done sorting the next 50 kits. I should get them posted to the store sometime tomorrow.

Have fun and Happy Easter to those who celebrate! Jeff
Old 11th April 2015
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I just ordered a pair! I've built several capi pres and opamps and can't wait to own a badass stereo drumbuss compressor. Once these things catch on they will be really hard to obtain.
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Anyone tried them already? Tempted to pull the trigger...
Old 13th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez ➡️
Anyone tried them already? Tempted to pull the trigger...
There are quite a few of these things out in the world now. Many of the pro's using them don't post on the forums. To name a few...Johnny K uses them on a daily basis and loves them. The same goes for Dave Cobb. And Mills Logan feels the same way.

I have a few user report texting screenshots that I'll dig up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Eddie Spear

Here's a text I got the morning after Eddie Spear got his first pair of FC526's. Eddie is a young Nashville engineer who has been working with Dave Cobb, Darrell Thorp and Vance Powell (among others). Eddie was assisting Darrell with Cobb producing Lake Street Dive when they picked the FC526 for bass over several vintage 1176's including Cobb's lovely Blue Stripe.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Johnkenn

And here's a text I got from John Kennedy shortly after he got his 2nd FC526. He wants to trademark "dirty little volume money".

Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Deleted 1846071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiger ➡️
My friend Johnny K was kind enough to send me some drum clips featuring the FC526 Limiters. The band is Kobra And The Lotus from Calgary. The song snippet is The Spirit Of Radio. This is part of a yet to be released EP they are finishing off of some choice Canadian classic rock tunes. The band is crazy great! The drums were tracked at Johnny’s Groovemaster Studio in Chicago. His tracking room sounds insanely good. The drums are all live and real except a small percentage of sampled kick mixed in.

So we have a few files that will let you play around with some varying amounts of parallel compression. Besides the complete band snippet, they will all line up when you import them into your favorite DAW.

First are drums with no parallel compression:
1_KatL_Spirit_Drums-NO-Par-Comp

Next is only the drum bus thru a pair of FC526’s set to 8:1:
2_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_8-1

Here is only the drum bus thru the FC526’s with some moderate All Buttons In action:
4_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_ABI-Gentle

This clip is also FC526 ABI but smashed to all hell! BTW, this is what Johnny used in his mix:
3_KatL_Spirit_Drums-Par-Comp_ABI-Smash

This is Johnny's drum mix with the smashed ABI parallel mixed in:
5_KatL_Spirit_Drums-JK-Mix

And for some context, the full band mix:
6_KatL_Spirit_Full_Band

BTW, I am almost done sorting the next 50 kits. I should get them posted to the store sometime tomorrow.

Have fun and Happy Easter to those who celebrate! Jeff
The drums sound fantastic. Great tuning, playing, recording.
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1846071 ➡️
The drums sound fantastic. Great tuning, playing, recording.
Yeah the entire band is badass. I don't think the EP is out yet but this track is on there too. My comps are also on these drums as well as the rest of the EP.

Old 12th August 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So I like 2500 waves plugin a lot on kick and GTR, attack 1ms, release 0.05ms, 4:1, feed back, hard knee. Do you think I can achieve something similar (better) with the 526?
Old 14th October 2015 | Show parent
Lud
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I've just sold my SSL 611DYN (great sound btw) and ordered my 526 with 3 gar 2520 kits!
Old 16th April 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lud ➡️
I've just sold my SSL 611DYN (great sound btw) and ordered my 526 with 3 gar 2520 kits!
How are you liking your 526? Tried it on tracking duties?
📝 Reply