The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod Condenser Microphones
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87Ai to U67 mod

Updated April 2017

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-50-modules.jpg

Modify your TLM67 or U87Ai to a full blown U67 within 1 minute.
Out with the SMD parts, in with the U67 module, connect the PSU and you are ready to go. Non-destructive mod.

Featuring:

Bv.12 transformer from my own production
Acrylic disc with gold connectors for the HiZ portion of the circuit
PCB layout closely follows the original to avoid messing with the complex filter network
Switchable heater for EF86 and PF86 operation
NEW Linear mode
The low cut switch is used to toggle between normal U67 operation and linear mode, bypassing the typical U67 filter network and extending the response in the top and bottom frequencies.

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-4-side-view.jpg

Including:

The assembled U67 module, including a NOS Pf86 tube
PSU
Multipin Cable
assembled and tested

Here's the full set:

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-full-set-small.jpg

TLM67/U87Ai Hardware plugin: 849,00 Euro
+ shipping and Paypal fees
Private EU costumers please note that 20% will be added to the total

To purchase, pls send a email to ioaudio@gmx.net for a quote.
Pls include the required amount, your name and address, and your EU Vat number if you have any.

-Max

This is how the Quick Change version works:

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-change.jpg

1. screw off the bottom ring to open the mic

2. carefully pull the body tube

3. while squeezing the handles on the rails, pull of the head basket

For the included PF86, the tube selector must be turned to "PF86"
If you change the tube to a EF86, switch the selector to "EF86"

4. squeeze the handles on the rails to insert the headbasket

5. Slide on the body tube

6. screw on the bottom ring

on the PSU check that the red mains selector is on 115 for the USA, 230 for EU
plug in, turn on, wait a little for the tube to settle and enjoy your microphone!

Last edited by ioaudio; 13th May 2015 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Introductory offer sold out
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

How are there no replies to this?
Old 7th December 2014
Needing a lot more info, please. Link?
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

Who am I?

My name is Max Kircher and i have been working on Mic projects for almost ten years now. I got started on GroupDIY, providing Microphone Kits for the DIY crowd, specializing in Transformers like the Bv.08 (U47) and the Bv.12 (U67, see above)
Although I joined gearslutz many years ago, I didn't post too much (yet?)
I am located in Vienna, and I build my products here in my own little workshop.

What is the TLM67/U87 to U67 mod?

This is a drop-in/plug&play module for the Tlm67 or U87(ai) body&capsule which are identical to the original U67. The modification is non-destructive so you can revert your mic back to stock (in the unlikely event you want to).

The Circuit, Transformer, Pcb and electronic parts closely follow the original and have been tested and measured against to warrant perfect U67 operation.
The only ad-on to the original is a small circuit enabling to use either the EF86 or PF86 tube without changing any of the circuit parameters like biasing etc.

Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

VERY interested to this but there is no way of knowing if this mod is any good before actually spending 650 euro.. Audio examples maybe?
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

This is amazing and I’d get it in a heartbeat, however, I find that buying and shipping things from EU to the US/Canada, with the exchange rate + custom’s fee, often makes things prohibitively expensive.

From the looks of it, the project seems to be bullet proof and extremely well thought out.
Old 7th December 2014
Lives for gear

I am also interested. I have a tlm67 right now that isn't getting a lot of use. I am in California, would really like it if some gearslutz in eu did this and gave some feedback.
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Addict

I've shipped hundreds of parts & kits to the US without any problems in the recent years. For the unlikely event you don't like it, you can just send it back and i refund full minus shipping expenses.

-Max
Old 7th December 2014
Old 8th December 2014
bee
Lives for gear

Holy cow! I'm very interested in this, does it work with a u87ai?
Old 8th December 2014
Very cool!

Would really like to hear some audio comparisons unmodded vs. modded, preferrably on a good vocalist!
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Holy cow! I'm very interested in this, does it work with a u87ai?
Yes, works with either a Tlm67 or the U87ai! I'll also have a special version for vintage U87(i) mics.

Re: Audio samples - I usually do not provide samples myself, but i expect some of my costumers to provide some.

The build is taken directly from the original schematics/blueprints, and i did comparisons with a (unmodded) U67 in pristine condition to verify that it's spot on.
The key-component is, how so often, the transformer which i wind from the original blueprints here in my little workshop.
It employs all the features found in the original - including the feedback winding AND the innerwinding shield.
Furthermore i took care of all the little details in the circuit, like the polystyrene feeback capacitor C17 etc - nothing is changed from the original except the ad-on of using either a PF86 or EF86.

Max
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Maniac
some clients testimonials and high quality audio samples comparing an original u87 with the remake would be best
Old 9th December 2014
Lives for gear

I´ve heard similar attempts over the years
and some of them have been even by aknowledged neumann gurus.
None of them was convincing so I stay skeptical.

A website with videos and sound examples would be a good idea.
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Addict

Well, I'm not aware of a clone at that level of authenticy, except Neumann themselfes who made a reissue in the eighties which was spot on.

I'm not doing samples of my works - instead I offer products at a introductory pricing, so early adopters have the chance to review/make samples and get the word out there.

-Max
Old 9th December 2014
Gear Addict

Half of the initial batch@intruductory pricing is already gone, all paid orders will be shipping tomorrow.

thanks,
Max
Old 10th December 2014
Gear interested

I believe i am the new proud owner of the mic pictured above (correct me if i'm wrong Max). I took delivery of it last week & it's pretty incredible sounding.

I don't have an original U67 to hand for a direct comparison ( have a few buddies with 67's & hoping to set up a comparison session soon), but I had use of one of the reissues from the nineties for a year & this mic sounds just like I remember that 67.

I used it on male vocals all week & it sounded great. Looking forward to hearing it on other sources this week. Would highly recommend this kit.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O'Flaherty View Post
I believe i am the new proud owner of the mic pictured above (correct me if i'm wrong Max). I took delivery of it last week & it's pretty incredible sounding.

I don't have an original U67 to hand for a direct comparison ( have a few buddies with 67's & hoping to set up a comparison session soon), but I had use of one of the reissues from the nineties for a year & this mic sounds just like I remember that 67.

I used it on male vocals all week & it sounded great. Looking forward to hearing it on other sources this week. Would highly recommend this kit.
Any chance of some snippets of the male vox?
Old 10th December 2014
Gear interested

This was for an album project started only 2 weeks ago. I can't imagine the artists allowing me to upload anything until the project is finished & released.

I'm working with a songwriter tomorrow who might allow me upload something. Leave it with me.
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony O'Flaherty View Post
This was for an album project started only 2 weeks ago. I can't imagine the artists allowing me to upload anything until the project is finished & released.

I'm working with a songwriter tomorrow who might allow me upload something. Leave it with me.
Thank you, sir!
Old 10th December 2014
Max Kircher is 100% the real deal. Get one before they are gone. If you don'y like this mic you wouldn't have liked a vintage 67 either.
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Maniac

How is this different from the Inner tube audio mod? Thanks!
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermosey View Post
How is this different from the Inner tube audio mod? Thanks!
Innertube will give you a tube microphone, not a U67 circuit.

Henk
Old 10th December 2014
What's the difference, sonically, between modding an U87 vs a TLM67?
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

None.
Old 10th December 2014
So, there's no point in buying the more expensive U87 if all I want to do is retrofit the U67 mod?
Old 10th December 2014
Gear Addict

Hey Tony,

thanks for your initial feedback - no the mic you have is not the one on the picture above, but looks the same :-) Happy you like it!

Cat5,

thanks for your kind words!

markisha,

no difference except the Neumann batch on the body tube.
Modding a U87ai only makes sense if you already have one, purchasing a TLM67 is more price-effective.
Old 10th December 2014
Cool, thanks for the explanation!
Old 10th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio View Post
no difference except the Neumann batch on the body tube.
Modding a U87ai only makes sense if you already have one, purchasing a TLM67 is more price-effective.
Or if you want it to look more like the original since not only the badge is conspicuous but the body color as well, FWIW...
Old 11th December 2014
Gear Addict

TLM67 Module Installation:

Please be careful with the whole assembly. Take your time, don't lose any screws, do not pull the wires.

1. all you need is a small screwdriver

2. unscrew the bottom ring to open the mic

3. carefully pull the body tube

4. while squeezing the handles on the rails, pull of the head basket

5. unscrew the brass locating screw

6. unscrew the normal screw

7,8. unscrew both screws of the rails, on both sides

9. unscrew the XLR insert holding screw

10. gently pull out the smd pcb, locate the solder lug and unscrew as shown

11. don't lose any of the small screws.

12,13,14. loosen the nut on the brass clamp as shown, leave the screw inserted (both sides)

15. squeeze the left rail into the slot of the PCB

16. squeeze in the acrylic disc

17. again on both sides, check that no wires come between the pcb and the rails

18. now locate the whole (you might have to push the assembly up or down a bit)

19. feed through the small screw.

20. attach the small nut to fasten the assembly - both sides again.

21. again check that no wires are jammed

22. insert one small washer and a screw into the solder lug

23. locate the thread on the bottom and fasten it

24. push in the xlr insert, watch the keyway

25. insert the assembly as shown

26. locate the thread of the XLR insert, push and pull until you see it centered

27. insert the screw (the one with the longer head) and tighten

28. screw in both screws

29. ...on both sides

30. on the acrylic disc, insert the brass loacing screw and fasten, do not tighten until:

31. you insert the normal screw (the long one) you might have to search the thread, wiggle a bit

32. check that the tube is fully in its socket.
For the included PF86, the tube selector must be turned to "PF86"
If you change the tube to a EF86, switch the selector to "EF86"

33. squeeze the handles on the rails to insert the headbasket

34. silde on the body tube

35. screw on the bottom ring

on the PSU check that the red mains selector is on 115 for the USA, 230 for EU
plug in, turn on, wait a little for the tube to settle and enjoy your microphone!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search