The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 30th June 2020
Gear Addict

The shipping situation did not improve so I'll wait another 2 weeks before accepting orders.
Thanks for your patience.

-Max
Old 30th July 2020
Gear Head
Any update on accepting orders?
Old 5th August 2020
I'd bei interested in a kit, too.
Max, I wrote you an email recently.

Greetings from Germany
Old 7th August 2020
Gear Addict

Sorry for the delay - All orders/shipments will be postboned to September.
I also have to catch up on emails/PM's until then.

-Max
Old 27th August 2020
Noise: No issue?

I am interested in how the MK67 is behaving noisewise.

With a good, low noise tube it should be on par with an actual U67, right?

Too much noise would be bad for what I intend to use the "mod" on, which would be voice over. Mostly I would use it for long form narration stuff like audiobooks, documentaries and so on but occasionally for commercial and corporate work with quite some compression to expect.

So how are your observations here?

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Head
I purchased theTLM67 almost 45 days ago specifically just for this mod so hopefully Max will start to accept orders soon because I can't get my money back after 45 days of purchase and I don't want to be stuck with a regular TLM67 mic that I was never interested in to begin with lol. Hopefully I didn't make the wrong decision here and probably should have just waited but I was going based off of his post on June 30th that he will be accepting order in July :(
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Head

I’d wait

They are very much worth it, so I’d just wait it out. I’m looking to buy another when they are available. They truly are unbelievable microphones and hopefully Max continues to make them well into the future. There is nothing else like them in this price range.
Old 1st September 2020
Gear Head
Thanks for the feedback! Made me feel better about waiting it out. Based on the most recent reviews, it appears to be a great product so well done Max!
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks for the wait & sorry for the delay!
I just finished a new batch, all equipped with VALVO tubes, shipping starts next week.
I'll go through all the emails now, feel free to send me another if you're in a hurry with the purchase.
This will be the last batch for 2020, and the last batch equipped with Valvo tubes.

-Max
Old 5th September 2020
Gear Head
Thanks for getting back Max! I would like to place and order right now. Do you mind sending me the instructions on how to do so please? Thank you
Old 5th September 2020
Just sent my order. Reading this thread up and down while waiting got me quite excited to check this out!
Old 9th September 2020
Gear Addict

All paid orders are shipping, thanks guys!
Old 10th September 2020
Hey guys,

I received my MaxMod 67 today and couldn't wait to hook it up and try it out.

Since this batch has the new "reissue mode", I thought you might be interested in hearing the differences, so I did what I haven't done in a while and read a poem

I was in my Studiobricks booth, about 15-20cm away from the capsule, which is at the height of my nose, pointing at the corner of my mouth.
The mic pre is a Hairball Lola.
This are the flaws of this comparison: It is not the same performance obviously and I left the HPF on on my ADI-2 Pro - which I always do on the way in because of rumble - but it shouldn't affect my voice down there. [Edit: HPF is at 60Hz with about 12dB/oct.]

I also applied some EQ and compression to each take and added that files also.

So far I really am a fan and it is the addition to my mic locker I had wanted: Some smooth and lush and rich sounding vibe to accompany my Gefell M930 as my present and highly detailled mic and the U87Ai which sits somewhere in between. Woohoo!
Attached Files

MK67_standard.wav (7.25 MB, 1080 views)

MK67_RI-mode.wav (7.20 MB, 1087 views)

MK67_standard_EQ-COMP.wav (7.25 MB, 1030 views)

MK67_RI-mode_EQ-COMP.wav (7.20 MB, 1022 views)

Old 12th September 2020
Gear Head
Thanks for this comparison!
Old 14th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_mc View Post
Thanks for this comparison!
You're welcome!

Today I put a Siemens EF86 into the MK67. Sounds fuller and sweeter now. It is a step up sonically and the tube ist really quiet.
With the PF86 I kinda prefered the stock/classic mode. With the EF86 it is definitely the "reissue mode" - otherwise it's too boomy and quite murky, as others have experienced.
But in RI mode: Nice. Nice. Nice.
My two cents.

I want to point out that Max is very responsive and helpful when you have questions after buying. I appreciate that!

Also: I haven't bothered trying that cheapo cable that came with the kit.
While Mogami and Gotham cables have already been mentioned as quality alternatives, I want to add the Sommer Cable SC Octave Tube cable, that I use.
I've used Sommer Cable for years now in my studio alongside Mogami for all kinds of tasks. Good stuff.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Donor bodies?

Received the happy message that my unit shipped today and now I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck sourcing a supplier for the mic body or found a cheaper donor body?

I must confess I haven't read the entirety of this forum so apologies if this has come up before.

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachansky View Post
Received the happy message that my unit shipped today and now I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck sourcing a supplier for the mic body or found a cheaper donor body?

I must confess I haven't read the entirety of this forum so apologies if this has come up before.

Thanks!
You need either a TLM 67 or a U87ai.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
You need either a TLM 67 or a U87ai.
I've got the 87ai. Just hoping for a way to use both in my drum room.

Oh well such is life. Thanks!
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

You need the capsule head assembly attached to either Max’s mod or the U87AI so you can only use one at a time unless you have an extra head assembly lying around. You can order the parts to complete the body from sennheiser directly.
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Head

Since it seems no longer possible to directly order parts from the sennheiser uk site in the USA, does anyone know of other options?
Old 15th September 2020
Gear Maniac

Oh sorry I didn’t know they weren’t shipping to the US I had just ordered earlier this year.
Old 16th September 2020
Lives for gear

Pretty sure you can still order from Sennheiser US (this was brought up on another forum and a Senn rep chimed in), just not from overseas Sennheiser. But those parts are expensive. I think the cheapest way in remains a used TLM67.
Old 16th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Pretty sure you can still order from Sennheiser US (this was brought up on another forum and a Senn rep chimed in), just not from overseas Sennheiser. But those parts are expensive. I think the cheapest way in remains a used TLM67.
I guess the MK67 ist pushing the value of used TLM67.
Old 18th September 2020
Gear Head
VOmike, do you mind posting a link to your mic cable that you used for Max's mod? Thank you
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio_mc View Post
VOmike, do you mind posting a link to your mic cable that you used for Max's mod? Thank you

Sure, here is the link to the manufacturer's shop:

https://shop.sommercable.com/Kabel/M...-200-0186.html

I am waiting for another (probably more sophisticated) PSU, I ordered for this mic. The same cable is included there - but with a Tuchel-connector on the PSU-side.

So, I will probably sell the cable I use now quite soon, if anyone ist interested and not in a terrible hurry.
Length is about 6m.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOMike View Post
Sure, here is the link to the manufacturer's shop:

https://shop.sommercable.com/Kabel/M...-200-0186.html

I am waiting for another (probably more sophisticated) PSU, I ordered for this mic. The same cable is included there - but with a Tuchel-connector on the PSU-side.

So, I will probably sell the cable I use now quite soon, if anyone ist interested and not in a terrible hurry.
Length is about 6m.
I'm curious what made you want a different PSU, and what do you mean by "more sophisticated"?
Old 18th September 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
I'm curious what made you want a different PSU, and what do you mean by "more sophisticated"?
First: The PSU that comes with the kit is working and does what it's supposed to do. The mic sounds good and the noise floor is probably not higher than the original mic/psu combo.

In my unit at my studio the transformer has this 100Hz (double AC frequency) hum from physically vibrating.
I took care of it for now but it's not ideal and I have a "no compromise" habit towards issues like that - which is not always entirely rational, I admit.
Building a PSU by myself would not be so sufficently cheaper compared to the PSU I have ordered from Leo Schaal.
By "more sophisticated" I mean that the toroidal transformer is mu-metal shielded, the PSU uses mains filtering to keep the incoming power free from high frequency intereferences. The supply voltages for the tube are stabilized and seperately filtered, also there is a overvoltage-protection there. Also there is sort of a soft start for the powering of the tube.
There's more... It's pretty much overengineered, I guess.
The Schaal PSUs have a good reputation around here as far as I read.

Let's see how it performs! At least there will be no physically audible hum anymore. And probably the noise floor of the mic might go down a little.
Old 19th September 2020
I'm curious. Does anyone know if the Neumann IC 6/25 Swivel Mount would work with the MK67 kit?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...iABEgL4uvD_BwE
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head
Thanks VO!
Old 4 weeks ago
The Schaal Audio PSU arrived today.
Works excellently. I yet have to listen longer and deeper into it before I can say if I can hear a sonic difference between PSUs. Won't be dramatic, though. I still recognize the mic :D
I am daring to say that the noise floor of the mic did drop by a few dB. Have to reevaluate that also. But I would use this mic with confidence for any VO task, where I'd also use the U87Ai - that's noisewise.

Leo Schaal is very dedicated to his craft and the PSU proves this. That plus attention to detail is what he and Max are having in common.
The PSU provided with the MK67 is good as it let's you use this great conversion module. As does the original cable. I guess it was the choice to meet a price point and to be able to offer a complete set without having to much work and cost or scaring off potential customers with a Higher price tag.

I now have spent about 1400€ for the MK67, the new PSU - including the "Sommer Cable"-cable that comes with the PSU, another cable and some Siemens/Valvo EF86 tubes. Fair!

Last edited by VOMike; 4 weeks ago at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Improving the English
📝 Reply