The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio View Post
Hey everyone,

Sry for the delay - I was planning on announcing the new feature together with the release of the new batch.
Unfortunately the shipment of the parts was delayed again, looks like end of Oktober/early November now.
Thanks for your patience.
A little thank you for the long wait: This coming batch will be equiped with sweet sounding NOS Valvo tubes at no extra cost.
As you probably know, the original was shipped with Valvo tubes as well.
Pricing will be 949€ + shipping and fees as described in the first post.

Regarding the reissue mode:

Over the last couple of months I had time to listen & test a reissue and another old, slightly brighter original vintage U67
here in my workshop. They sound relatively close to each other, a little brighter and a little less low mids, a little more modern.

I already knew from implementing the linear mode that the circuit with it's complex feedback network allows for alteration
of the frequency response (without having to change the transformer), so I created a "profile" to match the reissue's response, again
switchable via the low cut knob on the mic head.

So you'll have both, my original vintage and the more modern reissue character in one mic.

Existing users can modify their mod by simply adding one capacitor to the circuit.
A 10nF 400V radial Film Cap (like the yellow ones used throughout the PCB, # MKT1813310404) goes between the grey cable and pin1.
The cap can be soldered directly to pin1, place it between the rail and and the next yellow cap - a snug fit.
If needed, I can take a picture of the assembly, let me know.

-Max

Nice
Old 11th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio View Post
Hey everyone,

Existing users can modify their mod by simply adding one capacitor to the circuit.
A 10nF 400V radial Film Cap (like the yellow ones used throughout the PCB, # MKT1813310404) goes between the grey cable and pin1.
The cap can be soldered directly to pin1, place it between the rail and and the next yellow cap - a snug fit.
If needed, I can take a picture of the assembly, let me know.

-Max
Great news Max. Would you be so kind to put a pic with 10nF cap connections?
The linear mod (no filter) was shipped standard. Were does the cap go in this case? Do you need undo the mod first?
Thanks in advance for clarification.

Btw... mic sounds great. It does need EQ, but takes it very well. It would be interesting to get a different flavor with filter switch.

JB
Old 11th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Great news Max. Would you be so kind to put a pic with 10nF cap connections?
The linear mod (no filter) was shipped standard. Were does the cap go in this case? Do you need undo the mod first?
Thanks in advance for clarification.

Btw... mic sounds great. It does need EQ, but takes it very well. It would be interesting to get a different flavor with filter switch.

JB
I wanted to ask the same question. I did the mod my self and cant remember what was done. it would be great to have full instruction on how to undo if it's needed?
Thanks for a great mic mod
Old 11th October 2019
Lives for gear

This is interesting. You’re finally admitting that there is a definite difference in the frequency response. I can’t say enough how thankful I am of this mod, but for lack of better words, this is a weird way to move. I’d def be interested in hearing the difference between the reissue and the new cap iterations. While the max transformer sounds good for what it is. I highly doubt a cap mod will get it all the way there. At the risk of over complicating things because I got so much heat for posting what you just admitted, I left out issues with depth and resolution in that low mid area, and the mid area. When you say linear mod, I get a little nervous, but if this is an option then good.
Old 13th October 2019
Gear Addict

Here are the pics for the conversion from "linear mode" to "reissue mode"

Currently the grey wire is connected to pin 1.
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-grey-wire-pin1.jpg
Desolder the grey wire and solder the new capacitor to pin 1.
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-cap-pin1.jpg

Connect the grey wire to the other side of the new cap - done!

Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-cap-grey-wire.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-cap-grey-wire.jpg   Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-cap-pin1.jpg   Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod-grey-wire-pin1.jpg  
Old 15th October 2019
Gear Nut

thanks Max, looking forward to hearing how this worked out from any braver souls than me with a soldering iron
Old 18th October 2019
Lives for gear

Very cool, Max, thanks!! I will try this soon (thanks for the photos, haha). A second voicing option more similar to the main one sounds like an awesome idea.

Max, Neumann still sells new replacement KK84 capsules... how about a Max Mod MK84??
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear

I've just done the new "reissue mod" to my two MaxMod mics... I never found a use for the linear mode, as it was way too bright for my tastes, so it was a no brainer to throw a $1.50 capacitor in there to see what it might do.

First impressions is that the high end boost of the reissue mod is much more reasonable than the linear mod. I'll be trying it on things for the next few weeks, and hopefully will find time to make a comment about it on here.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, but I have to admit that I have no real concept of what putting this capacitor in the circuit is really doing... would be nice for someone more technical to chime in and explain what's going on.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice on an issue with my mk67. I am picking up radio frequencies in the microphone. I use Gotham gac7 cable and neutrik connectors for the 7 pin xlr. Power is through a furman unit. The tube is an amperex ef86, though I have had the issue with other ef86’s. Is this the tube, cable, something else.

I have had the transformer changed to a Neumann, perhaps this should be a warning not to do so.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Never had radio Freq on my neumann transformer after being done correctly, and max’s either. I have had radio Freq on an old 251 in The same place. Seems like the problem is limited to your situation.

When I first did my reissue mod I had a friend rig it up, based on the schematic. If you read the thread you’ll see my story. None of the big techs wanted to take the job. I did get radio frequency because he did it wrong and the mic sounded wrong (a la linear mod tone). This happens if you follow max’s wire setup logically. When I sent it to the appropriate person (who contacted me) it was done properly with the brass plate because the transformer is bigger than the older one. With the mod, it’s a clear change in tone, not something you have to think about whether it’s better or not. The mod is not an easy one. There are two people specifically that do this mod, and one of them is on the forum and one is in Vienna. If you’re not doing it with them, don’t blame your shortcomings on the mod itself. It’s a very expensive mod, and many will be tempted to try it on their own. I know I was. Not concluding you did.

It could very well be your tube, but if you did the mod yourself it’s your issue.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you for your patience,

the new batch is now finished, and I'm open for orders, shipping starts tomorrow.
The pricing, contact etc info from the first post is still up to date except:
1. the added reissue mode feature (instead of linear mode)
2. Included VALVO tubes limited to this batch (sounding great!)

-Max
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

All paid orders shipping, thank you!
Next shipment for pending orders will go out on monday.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Here's the pinout for costum made cables:

Pin 1 : B+
Pin 2 : H-
Pin 3 : NC
Pin 4 : NC
Pin 5 : A+
Pin 6 : A-
Pin 7 : Ground
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Currently shipments to the US are delayed (in costums), probably due BF.

I can't believe it's been 5 years since the introduction, thank you all for your support!

-Max
Old 1 week ago
Ok, so the latest version of the MK67 arrived on my doorstep today and I did a very quick test on an operatic vocal. It's not scientific as I had to do the Vintage Mode, Reissue Mode, and TLM67 on separate takes. I also included my BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II with the B11 Capsule, which has been my 67 style mic for a while now. It was recorded simultaneously with the MK67 in Vintage mode. I'm approx 18" from the mics. All of them were run through my Dan Alexander Dual Channel Class A preamp (Neve 1272), as that's how I would use it in here on vocals anyway. I've also included a quick scan through the BLUE CAT Frequency Analyzer so you can see how each is capturing sound. Here they are, warts and all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jhbhp1lfm...HI16jZNha?dl=0

I have to say, I really like what the Reissue Mode is doing and I'm looking forward to experimenting more with it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Thanks for the excellent samples as always, Vincent. The reissue mode sounds really good there.
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentA View Post
Thanks for the excellent samples as always, Vincent. The reissue mode sounds really good there.
Thanks!

Hoping to do a more detailed analysis in another YouTube video. I have a few other videos on deck though. Keep everyone posted.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
Thanks!

Hoping to do a more detailed analysis in another YouTube video. I have a few other videos on deck though. Keep everyone posted.
You always make great demos, you may have pushed me into spending some money
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
You always make great demos, you may have pushed me into spending some money
Thanks so much. I've had the new kit and have played with it a bit over the last few days. I have to say this new Reissue mode is what I've been looking for. I had been very curious about putting the Neumann BV12 into the kit, but I'm very happy with what I'm getting so far with this Reissue mode and I may just get a nice EF86 and be done with it. I have to try it on my wife and some instruments. My wife's voice actually sounded dynamite on the original kit I had in a crooning context, but in opera it sounded a bit dull. I'm excited to try her on the new reissue mode, because it's a little less dense in the low mids with just a touch more air. I think it will be a good combo.

I'll have a buddy of mine play some acoustic through it the next time he's here too and muscle through some Mandolin through it myself sometime next week (I'm a beginner and not very good, but it will still give me an idea of how it sounds). Will also be recording some Saxophone for my Christmas Album in the next month or two. I'll throw up this kit and my FleA 49 for the session. Chances are I'll use the FleA 49 on the album, because it's a featured part and will sound bigger. That's due to the nature of the 49 sound vs the 67 sound, not the kit. Still, it will be really nice to hear it. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Hi Max.

Have you posted anywhere how to go from an original MK67 (I never did the linear mod and mine was made before you started shipping with linear mode as standard) to this "reissue mode"? I'd like to do it over the holidays.

Thanks.

@ ioaudio
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Hi Max.

Have you posted anywhere how to go from an original MK67 (I never did the linear mod and mine was made before you started shipping with linear mode as standard) to this "reissue mode"? I'd like to do it over the holidays.

Thanks.

@ ioaudio
Hey Ragan the the first mention was in Post 1200, with install pics in post 1205
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Hey Ragan the the first mention was in Post 1200, with install pics in post 1205
I saw those but that’s going from an existing linear mode to the new reissue mode. I’m going from the original circuit with no linear mode to the reissue mode. I could obviously stitch the two together since he’s posted how to go from original to linear mode before but that may have some unneeded steps where you’re just undoing something you’ve already done.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

TheShadowV,

very glad it finally arrived - all US orders arrived now and shipping times seem to be back to normal.
Your sample sounds good and I think the reissue mode fits your style really good.

Ragan,

the only difference is that the grey wire goes to the new 10nF cap instead of pin1.
The brown wire goes to the position as mentioned in the normal-to-linear mode description.

-Max
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
Ok, so the latest version of the MK67 arrived on my doorstep today and I did a very quick test on an operatic vocal. It's not scientific as I had to do the Vintage Mode, Reissue Mode, and TLM67 on separate takes. I also included my BLUE Bottle Rocket Stage II with the B11 Capsule, which has been my 67 style mic for a while now. It was recorded simultaneously with the MK67 in Vintage mode. I'm approx 18" from the mics. All of them were run through my Dan Alexander Dual Channel Class A preamp (Neve 1272), as that's how I would use it in here on vocals anyway. I've also included a quick scan through the BLUE CAT Frequency Analyzer so you can see how each is capturing sound. Here they are, warts and all.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jhbhp1lfm...HI16jZNha?dl=0

I have to say, I really like what the Reissue Mode is doing and I'm looking forward to experimenting more with it.
sounds awesome! still retains the color of the MK67 which sounds incredible on females. Almost THE perfect mic for female sings. as far as I can hear, the difference from doing this and getting a neumann transformer would be that the neumann tranny changes the overall color to a neumann shade, while this one is slightly browner. amazing upgrade whatever max did. Incredible value.
Old 3 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
sounds awesome! still retains the color of the MK67 which sounds incredible on females. Almost THE perfect mic for female sings. as far as I can hear, the difference from doing this and getting a neumann transformer would be that the neumann tranny changes the overall color to a neumann shade, while this one is slightly browner. amazing upgrade whatever max did. Incredible value.
Thanks for that description. That makes a lot of sense. I know someone about an hour and a half away from me who did the conversion. I may make arrangements to meet up with him and test them next to each other. I'm not really in a rush, as I really like what I'm hearing with this reissue mode and feel like it sounds like a U67 I'm familiar with. I assume if I get the kit next to the reissue that would provide similar results as the the kit with the Neumann BV12 is essentially the same microphone as the reissue, at least when you look at all the key parts.

I too have had better luck with the MK67 Vintage mode with female popular and jazz vocals more than anything else. My wife's opera vocals were a little dull through it, and mine just seemed dark. My crooning vocals were nice though after you gave it a little help up top. This new reissue mode doesn't seem to need that. I have to get my wife to record a few styles when we have a free moment. Between this kit and my FleA 49s I've covered a ton of bases.
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

The reissue mode is very nice. The mic now has 2 different voicings, each of which are useful for different things. I wasn't really a fan of this mic as an overhead until reissue mode came along.

Still haven't found a singer that I like this mic on, in either mode, but it's my go-to for virtually anything else... just a wonderful sound for most instruments.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

almost forgot I recorded this with the MaxMod and neumann transformer https://open.spotify.com/track/4cESs...Q1msNrzde8HGNQ
@ TheShadowV

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search