The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear
If anyone has side by side comparison of reissue (or maxmod with neumann transformer) and regular maxmod I'd be very interested to hear.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi All,

I am in production mode right now and haven't answered all of the emails over the last few weeks - I'll get back to individually when I have everything in place.
I'll receive the last missing parts in the next weeks, the work is coming along nicely and I'll have some news regarding a new "reissue mode" and another little surprise for the next batch - stay tuned for more details soon.

-Max
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio View Post
Hi All,

I am in production mode right now and haven't answered all of the emails over the last few weeks - I'll get back to individually when I have everything in place.
I'll receive the last missing parts in the next weeks, the work is coming along nicely and I'll have some news regarding a new "reissue mode" and another little surprise for the next batch - stay tuned for more details soon.

-Max
“Reissue mode,” You have sparked my interest.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Good idea. What an interesting turn of events. My ears shall never be questioned again

Sorry I couldn’t resist
Old 2 weeks ago
Have to throw my 2c in again on this mod. It’s an amazing accomplishment. Having used a 90’s SLO and the Max Mod side by side, I can say a lot about the topic, and offer a few tips:

1. Take the tube mic cable that ships with the unit and throw it in the ocean.
2. Get a high quality GAC7 tube mic cable. The difference between the stock and the super high quality cable is night and day. No offense Max, love the mod, but the cable that ships with the unit is not very balanced and a TON of detail is left on the table. Replacing the cable makes it a completely different mic.
3. Replace the stock tube with a NOS Amperex with the silver mesh. Best tube for that circuit hands down. IMO blows the NOS Tfunks out of the water. (On a budget the JJ Audio EF806S tubes sound pretty darn good in this circuit, as an aside)
4. The linear mode on the low cut filter, by itself, is way too aggressive to my ears...HOWEVER, engage the pad with the linear mode engaged and it’s a thing of beauty. The signal becomes very forward, balanced and Manley Ref C- like in its ability to sit anywhere in the mix.
5. A real 67 and this mod both love a cleaner preamp, generally speaking, especially on harmonically rich sources. I really do not like 1073 style pres with these mics (ducking cuz people will throw stuff at me for this statement)
6. That being said, and to prove that there are no hard and fast rules in this medium, found the 90S SLO and the mod to be a match made in heaven with a UA 6176. Oddly doesn’t work as well with a solo 610.
7. I agree that in stock mode there is a weird low mid bump happening on the Mod. Y’all aren’t crazy. It is less pronounced and easier to deal with when you follow my advice from #1 and #2 . Still there but less pronounced upon getting better, more balanced results from a better cable.

Very curious to hear what the updates are to the newest version of the Mod.

IMO, Max has made the true U67 sound available for a fraction of the cost. If you cant get a sound from the mod that is indistinguishable from a real U67, the problem isn’t the mic!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes what max did is truly revolutionary. Cables clearly make a much bigger difference than tubes and deserve a lot more attention than we give them regarding mics. I found this out when I noticed a particular brand of cables I was using for my monitoring had unique response that I thought would be dope for vocals. Soft high mids rich mids, smooth bottom end, super open highs. Some of you know this brand. It’s the one that makes your snares sound soft in the mix lol. So I tried it, and have had nothing to complain about the famous and infamous u87ai. I’ve had damn near every mic in the book and wouldn’t trade for my u87ai. I also use this cable from the u67 psu to the interface. I probably should try the mogami to see what the vibe is. Try a bunch. They all sound different. I have to say though, I’m excited to try the Gotham cable in the main path since the new transformer is already a huge upgrade. Thanks for the reminder @ stevehusseyband

I thought the same thing about cleaner pres with the max mod, until I changed the transformer. Now I can’t wait to dirty it up with a neve, or something vintage. Those highs are so sweet and rich without a hint of harshness. The high mids have this enveloping character. Really something special. On the 87 I try to keep it clean 100% tube pres... or just straight to apollo mic pre sounds great. While the max mod has that bump, the transformer upgrade does not, And has a euphoric sound in that area almost like the whole mic had a variable invisible multiband tube compressor (hah). I’m also curious about these tubes you mentioned. Where did you get your amperex?

For people using the Max mod. If it’s truly working for your sound. I wouldn’t rush out and get the neumann transformer. There is a certain color that the max mod has on its own that’s unique in a very good way that I haven’t heard in a lot of mics. If you deal in color it’s an expensive brown/orange color. I typically hear that character in gray sounding mics. I thought about that color a lot but decided to take the plunge. So if you’re used to it and have no complaints don’t change. Another overlooked importance of this is, because of the color change you’d be shooting yourself in the foot if you wanted to go back and re-record certain parts in a previously recorded song.

Max design your own idea of a mic. I’m curious to hear what it sounds like

Last edited by JblKid95; 2 weeks ago at 04:56 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehusseyband View Post
Have to throw my 2c in again on this mod. It’s an amazing accomplishment. Having used a 90’s SLO and the Max Mod side by side, I can say a lot about the topic, and offer a few tips:

1. Take the tube mic cable that ships with the unit and throw it in the ocean.
2. Get a high quality GAC7 tube mic cable. The difference between the stock and the super high quality cable is night and day. No offense Max, love the mod, but the cable that ships with the unit is not very balanced and a TON of detail is left on the table. Replacing the cable makes it a completely different mic.
3. Replace the stock tube with a NOS Amperex with the silver mesh. Best tube for that circuit hands down. IMO blows the NOS Tfunks out of the water. (On a budget the JJ Audio EF806S tubes sound pretty darn good in this circuit, as an aside)
4. The linear mode on the low cut filter, by itself, is way too aggressive to my ears...HOWEVER, engage the pad with the linear mode engaged and it’s a thing of beauty. The signal becomes very forward, balanced and Manley Ref C- like in its ability to sit anywhere in the mix.
5. A real 67 and this mod both love a cleaner preamp, generally speaking, especially on harmonically rich sources. I really do not like 1073 style pres with these mics (ducking cuz people will throw stuff at me for this statement)
6. That being said, and to prove that there are no hard and fast rules in this medium, found the 90S SLO and the mod to be a match made in heaven with a UA 6176. Oddly doesn’t work as well with a solo 610.
7. I agree that in stock mode there is a weird low mid bump happening on the Mod. Y’all aren’t crazy. It is less pronounced and easier to deal with when you follow my advice from #1 and #2 . Still there but less pronounced upon getting better, more balanced results from a better cable.

Very curious to hear what the updates are to the newest version of the Mod.

IMO, Max has made the true U67 sound available for a fraction of the cost. If you cant get a sound from the mod that is indistinguishable from a real U67, the problem isn’t the mic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JblKid95 View Post
Yes what max did is truly revolutionary. Cables clearly make a much bigger difference than tubes and deserve a lot more attention than we give them regarding mics. I found this out when I noticed a particular brand of cables I was using for my monitoring had unique response that I thought would be dope for vocals. Soft high mids rich mids, smooth bottom end, super open highs. Some of you know this brand. It’s the one that makes your snares sound soft in the mix lol. So I tried it, and have had nothing to complain about the famous and infamous u87ai. I’ve had damn near every mic in the book and wouldn’t trade for my u87ai. I also use this cable from the u67 psu to the interface. I probably should try the mogami to see what the vibe is. Try a bunch. They all sound different. I have to say though, I’m excited to try the Gotham cable in the main path since the new transformer is already a huge upgrade. Thanks for the reminder @ stevehusseyband

I thought the same thing about cleaner pres with the max mod, until I changed the transformer. Now I can’t wait to dirty it up with a neve, or something vintage. Those highs are so sweet and rich without a hint of harshness. The high mids have this enveloping character. Really something special. On the 87 I try to keep it clean 100% tube pres... or just straight to apollo mic pre sounds great. While the max mod has that bump, the transformer upgrade does not, And has a euphoric sound in that area almost like the whole mic had a variable invisible multiband tube compressor (hah). I’m also curious about these tubes you mentioned. Where did you get your amperex?

For people using the Max mod. If it’s truly working for your sound. I wouldn’t rush out and get the neumann transformer. There is a certain color that the max mod has on its own that’s unique in a very good way that I haven’t heard in a lot of mics. If you deal in color it’s an expensive brown/orange color. I typically hear that character in gray sounding mics. I thought about that color a lot but decided to take the plunge. So if you’re used to it and have no complaints don’t change. Another overlooked importance of this is, because of the color change you’d be shooting yourself in the foot if you wanted to go back and re-record certain parts in a previously recorded song.

Max design your own idea of a mic. I’m curious to hear what it sounds like
Out of curiosity, what do you guys imagine would be allowing different wire from the PSU to the mic to affect the sonics here? I mean outside of things like noise/interference which are easy to observe. The cable Max ships these with has more than adequate gauge and shielding. What do you believe is happening with other cables?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you guys imagine would be allowing different wire from the PSU to the mic to affect the sonics here? I mean outside of things like noise/interference which are easy to observe. The cable Max ships these with has more than adequate gauge and shielding. What do you believe is happening with other cables?
Uh oh.....

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
....don’t know exactly but my whole studio (mic leads & patch bay) are Mogami.....Max 67 cable is no exception (although I have 2 x DIY C12s which are Gotham as Mogami don’t do 7 pin). Sounds big & clear & great. Try it dude and listen. HHB are the UK distributors and are good to work with.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
....don’t know exactly but my whole studio (mic leads & patch bay) are Mogami.....Max 67 cable is no exception (although I have 2 x DIY C12s which are Gotham as Mogami don’t do 7 pin). Sounds big & clear & great. Try it dude and listen. HHB are the UK distributors and are good to work with.
I’ve tried wire from generic cheap stuff to esoteric spendy stuff. I’ve done listening tests both blind and not. I’ve got my views (though I’m open to others) I’m just also curious about what is and isn’t convincing to other people who believe various things about wire. So when someone makes very specific claims about the performance of one piece of copper versus another piece of copper I’m just always genuinely curious as to what’s led them to those beliefs.

Not trying to start any pissing contests or be confrontational at all. Just interested.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve tried wire from generic cheap stuff to esoteric spendy stuff. I’ve done listening tests both blind and not. I’ve got my views (though I’m open to others) I’m just also curious about what is and isn’t convincing to other people who believe various things about wire. So when someone makes very specific claims about the performance of one piece of copper versus another piece of copper I’m just always genuinely curious as to what’s led them to those beliefs.

Not trying to start any pissing contests or be confrontational at all. Just interested.
Yep. Totally understood. But it’s not all voodoo ******y I promise... and it’s easy to shoot out & rule out for yourself if you don’t hear/dig it.

I don’t want to fuel the next capsule/transformer insecurity (see above!!)! The Max 67 is totally legit! I’ve listened to mine alongside a fellow Londoner’s 2019 RI and I was not left pining for anything different whatsoever! .....but then again I’m using mogami. Haha!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Couldn’t tell you. I haven’t tried another cable besides Max. Some cables sound different. Maybe you just can’t hear the difference or haven’t tried but I’m def not going to try and convince you

I don’t like mogami on my mic chain, guitar chain, anything going in. Like you in some ways, I don’t believe that high 600$ cables are better than 20$ ones. For example I Didn’t like the 2549 or any of the high end mogamis on my monitoring, but I really liked the cheaper ones with the matte silver connectors. I don’t even know the wire number. That’s the only thing mogami in my system. My closet is collecting dust with mogami dsubs, cables, the whole 9. A lot of people say u87s sound honky and others swear it doesn’t. I think mogami cables are to blame. Its a funny thing to say, but the results aren’t. I could probably switch my recording cables with my monitoring cables VIce versa and laugh at it sounding identical, but I’m happy that I made my rig sound like what I like and translates what I like somewhere else. that’s all that matters TBH

Last edited by JblKid95; 2 weeks ago at 01:37 AM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi people, my Max Mod sounds terrific truly. There is a slight issue where sometimes the cables connection with the mic is faulty giving out a very audible and often loud buzz. The male 7 pin on the mic does wobble slightly, perhaps its this? sometimes the mic works perfectly, then if I move the angle or change polarity it jolts into this loud awful buzz... any ideas ? also when this buzz occurs it is even louder if i touch the body of the mic, could this be grounding?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanviner View Post
Hi people, my Max Mod sounds terrific truly. There is a slight issue where sometimes the cables connection with the mic is faulty giving out a very audible and often loud buzz. The male 7 pin on the mic does wobble slightly, perhaps its this? sometimes the mic works perfectly, then if I move the angle or change polarity it jolts into this loud awful buzz... any ideas ? also when this buzz occurs it is even louder if i touch the body of the mic, could this be grounding?
This sounds like a tube issue. That’s the first thing I’d check
Old 2 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
Yep. Totally understood. But it’s not all voodoo ******y I promise... and it’s easy to shoot out & rule out for yourself if you don’t hear/dig it.

I don’t want to fuel the next capsule/transformer insecurity (see above!!)! The Max 67 is totally legit! I’ve listened to mine alongside a fellow Londoner’s 2019 RI and I was not left pining for anything different whatsoever! .....but then again I’m using mogami. Haha!
I for one would love to hear a comparison between the original cable and the mogami! But if the original cable rests on the ocean floor I guess that is impossible
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
How do I go about this? I do not have a spare tube of this type.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSax View Post
Not if it changes when moving the cable connector and touching the body. The first thing I'd do is take the connector apart and look at all the solder joints and also look to see if any wire fibers happen to be sticking out where they shouldn't be.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 1 week ago at 12:13 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanviner View Post
Definitely check the cable.

When I opened up the connector on the stock cable to inspect the pin layout, one of the wires immediately broke off. I didn't even bother to repair it. Instead, I ordered some Mogami 3172 cable and Neutrik NC7 connectors and made a replacement. The stock cable went into the garbage.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Also try checking and unscrewing/rescrewing the bottom ring on the mic body itself. That has to maintain a good solid connection, otherwise you'll get intermittant buzzing type stuff. Sometimes it gets loose via screwing/unscrewing from the shockmount, etc. Or sometimes the head wasn't fully seated in all the way, so when I pushed it in all the way, and then tightened up the bottom ring, it's fine. I try to remember do check that now.

Also chiming in, this mic is ridiculous. I'm so grateful I took the plunge. I do eventually want to get Redco.com to make me a new 5-pin XLR cable for it, mostly because the stock one is longer than I need and wraps/lays funny to me. It'll be about $100 it looks like, not in a rush. If there's a sonic benefit, great, but not counting on it and that wouldn't be the primary goal.

Dying to hear what news Max is coming out with...!!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
Dying to hear what news Max is coming out with...!!
Yes. Waiting to hear about that myself.
Old 6 days ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Yes. Waiting to hear about that myself.
Ditto.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

I acquired an mk67 second hand (I couldn’t wait). I used my u87ai with the insert. I have tried different cables and have settled on one I built from cable I purchased from redco. It is just their stock cabling. Works great. In terms of difference in sound. The big things have been the tubes and then the transformer. I loved the original transformer. With a mullard tube it worked wonderfully and only need a bit of high end to sit perfectly in a mix. That being said, I did have a Neumann u67 transformer put in. I was a bit skeptical about how much difference it would make, but I did it anyway. The mic is perfect now. I literally have nothing to add to it. Everything just sounds exactly right. I have a telefunken, amperex and two mullard tubes. I have only had a bit of time with the amperex and newer mullard, but personally, I like them more than the telefunken. I actually prefer both Mullards over the others. I also have a jjaudio, but it is not even in contention, so I never use it. I plan on trying to get another one of these from max so I have a pair. I do not think I will do the transformer mod again. It is costly and lwhile it makes a big difference. It is quite easy to just use some slight eq shelves to match them up. There is a weight to the maxmod transformer that is actually very useful. Thanks Max for making this incredible product! This is without a doubt my #1 microphone and now I just want to sell of my other mics including my u87i to purchase more of these.

After rereading I realized I wasn’t clear. The transformer is great, but the biggest thing is the tubes. I bought them from Bowie. The difference was night and day to me. The stock tube sounded good. Better than the miktek tube I had, but when I got some serious EF86 tubes I really saw a dramatic shift in sonic quality.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioaudio View Post
Hi All,

-Max

Sorry to bother. Any hope for a models fitting vintage 87’s? Thanks

Group buy?
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
I acquired an mk67 second hand (I couldn’t wait). I used my u87ai with the insert. I have tried different cables and have settled on one I built from cable I purchased from redco. It is just their stock cabling. Works great. In terms of difference in sound. The big things have been the tubes and then the transformer. I loved the original transformer. With a mullard tube it worked wonderfully and only need a bit of high end to sit perfectly in a mix. That being said, I did have a Neumann u67 transformer put in. I was a bit skeptical about how much difference it would make, but I did it anyway. The mic is perfect now. I literally have nothing to add to it. Everything just sounds exactly right. I have a telefunken, amperex and two mullard tubes. I have only had a bit of time with the amperex and newer mullard, but personally, I like them more than the telefunken. I actually prefer both Mullards over the others. I also have a jjaudio, but it is not even in contention, so I never use it. I plan on trying to get another one of these from max so I have a pair. I do not think I will do the transformer mod again. It is costly and lwhile it makes a big difference. It is quite easy to just use some slight eq shelves to match them up. There is a weight to the maxmod transformer that is actually very useful. Thanks Max for making this incredible product! This is without a doubt my #1 microphone and now I just want to sell of my other mics including my u87i to purchase more of these.

After rereading I realized I wasn’t clear. The transformer is great, but the biggest thing is the tubes. I bought them from Bowie. The difference was night and day to me. The stock tube sounded good. Better than the miktek tube I had, but when I got some serious EF86 tubes I really saw a dramatic shift in sonic quality.
Not in a hurry to try another tube, but which Mullard and amperex did you use exactly...

Along with the shelves there is noticeable depth in the 500-1k and a sweeter quality in the highs with the neumann transformer. I never understood the hate for the max high end though. It’s a hidden quality. That was my favorite part of his mod. Yeah it’s darker but it has a great sound when you boost it. Like you said though the neumann transformer just makes it perfect. There’s nothing to add after that. Although, I did hear that you can change that large cap at the very bottom to a vintage one, but the cap itself is rare.
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

Bugle boy labeled amperex and a mid 60’s mullard. Also a late 60’s mullard.

I’m looking forward to max’s new modules. After a month with the mic I am comfortable saying it’s the best mic I own, without a doubt. I have other solid mics, gefell 92.1, 70s, Neumann u87 i and ai miktek cv3 and 4 to name a few, but this smokes them all. People might have a strong opinion against this, but for straight FET I’ve always liked the shure KSM44, the older version. Anyhow, and I know this is just one persons opinion, but what Max did here is really incredible. I’m going on here, but I really am blown away. So, thanks Max.
Definitely the first time I just wanted more of a single mic.

[QUaOTE=JblKid95;14207079]Not in a hurry to try another tube, but which Mullard and amperex did you use exactly...

Along with the shelves there is noticeable depth in the 500-1k and a sweeter quality in the highs with the neumann transformer. I never understood the hate for the max high end though. It’s a hidden quality. That was my favorite part of his mod. Yeah it’s darker but it has a great sound when you boost it. Like you said though the neumann transformer just makes it perfect. There’s nothing to add after that. Although, I did hear that you can change that large cap at the very bottom to a vintage one, but the cap itself is rare.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by TickTock; 5 days ago at 06:48 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search