The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing the fabolous TLM67/U87 to U67 mod Condenser Microphones
Old 12th July 2018
Lives for gear

Murky can do something really nostalgic in the mids. I must try
Old 13th July 2018
Lives for gear

@mfic thanks for the PMs. Where did you get your valvo? The NOS tele I got from the tube museum actually smoothened some or the low end resonance; and the steep drop off on the highs... still could be much better. I wasn’t expecting much but the tube def made an improvement. Would love to try what you got as well. Waiting for someone who’s confident enough to install the transformer.
Old 16th July 2018
Here for the gear
I got a batch of Valvo off eBay. They weren't very expensive, some were better than others though. The new production Svetlana were ok too. More high end than all of the others. I think this might be what's in the new reissue.
Old 17th July 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfic View Post
I got a batch of Valvo off eBay. They weren't very expensive, some were better than others though. The new production Svetlana were ok too. More high end than all of the others. I think this might be what's in the new reissue.
So there is a difference with pf86 valvo and ef86? Mine came with pf86 valvo. It doesn’t sound like how you’re describing it
Old 17th July 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by IkennaFuNkEn View Post
So there is a difference with pf86 valvo and ef86? Mine came with pf86 valvo. It doesn’t sound like how you’re describing it
I think on paper the difference is just supposed to be the heater voltage and draw. In practice it sounded different to me but also the batch of EF86 also sounded different tube to tube. I also didn't spend a whole lot of time with the included PF86, but certainly wasn't won over by it. Tried a Telefunken EF86 which must have had an issue as it sounded horrible and bassy, with the extreme low end "tilt" and resonance, and then found a Valvo EF86 out of the batch which made the mic sound good to me, if still on the dark side a bit.

In my other mic I've found that I like the Valvo EF86 overall, though the Svetlana EF86 had the most highs and would be my second choice. I do have to say I tried another new Svetlana and it sounded the same, so at least there was some consistency there. I haven't had time to try that in the Maxmod yet and am enjoying having it on electric guitars at the moment and don't want to futz with it right now. Might try it later when doing vox or something.

So could your PF86 sound different? I couldn't say without swapping it, but it seems like there's a lot of variability tube to tube in this family of valves, at least in my limited experience. Maybe try the Svetlana? It's cheap and seems to make the mic brighter.
Old 7th September 2018
Gear Addict

I just finished testing the new batch and I'm open for orders again.
I've replied to inquiries made in the last few weeks, please check the information in the first post for details.
Shipping will start on Monday, thank you for your patience!

This is the last batch for the current pricing, I will have to raise the price to 949 (+100) Euro after that.
First come, first served.

-Max
Old 9th September 2018
Here for the gear

I don't post much around here, but I want to thank you all for this thread. I've been on the hunt for "the" microphone for many, many years and I'm excited to report that I've ordered a mod from Max! Grateful that my itch can be scratched for a fraction of the cost of the U(nicorn)67!
Old 10th September 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks audioallstar - all paid orders are shipping as of today incl. yours!
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Fun while it lasted but everyone I brought it to either says they don’t like how it’s set up or it doesn’t match the schematics of a u67, after using a multimeter to match the connectivity. Gonna sell the transformer if anyone needs it and wants to give it a try, if there were clear pictures of the u67 reissue of how the leads connected to the circuit board then maybe it would have been easier someone said. Just an update for anyone who was interested
Old 14th September 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Fun while it lasted but everyone I brought it to either says they don’t like how it’s set up or it doesn’t match the schematics of a u67, after using a multimeter to match the connectivity. Gonna sell the transformer if anyone needs it and wants to give it a try, if there were clear pictures of the u67 reissue of how the leads connected to the circuit board then maybe it would have been easier someone said. Just an update for anyone who was interested
Hi IkennaFuNkEn

Please send the max67 with the Neumann transformer to a tech. Yes I did it, because a friend dit it and I didnt believe how much the sound changed. The overall timbre changed.
The strong low boost is gone and yes of course its still on the darker side but so much better than before. I would say 3db more hi end(more air) and 2db less bass, the mids are pretty much the same maybe the hi mids are softer. I would say the mic is now so much more balanced with pretty soft hi-mids.
The transformer change is really complicated.
I cant say wich company did it for me but it is a very well known one. The tech said, he had problems because the max mod has not the impedance switch after the transformer (S4 on the schematic) that's missing on the mk67.

I think the max67 is a really good mic, but not really a 100% 67, its not only the hi-end its the overall timbre that changed.

I have take pictures from both transformers and I have seen that the Neumann core is 7.5 high and max transformer 4mm.
I have spoken with 2 techs and they both confirmed that the BV12 from max is not wound well (not my words from a very known tech). I think for the price its a really really good mod, but with an original Bv12 the mic will go from good to a perfect balanced u67.

Good luck, please be patient and search for a mic tech.
Sorry for my english.
Old 14th September 2018
Quote:
I would reach out to Shannon Rhodes and see if he can help you. He runs Mic Rehab, but is also a tech for Blackbird Studios. He is very knowledgeable and has a great reputation.

Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology.
Old 14th September 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowV View Post
I would reach out to Shannon Rhodes and see if he can help you. He runs Mic Rehab, but is also a tech for Blackbird Studios. He is very knowledgeable and has a great reputation.

Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology.
Amazing thank you! I needed heavy hitters for this, and I just dont know anyone in that area. Very promising. No worries bro.
Old 15th September 2018
Here for the gear

Favorite Preamp?

Anyone have a favorite preamp flavor for Max's U67 mod? I typically lean toward a 1073-style but do you have more success with something more "hi-fi"?
Old 19th September 2018
Here for the gear

I also mainly use the maxmod with a 1073... it's a good match because you can give the eq a little lift in the high end, if needed.

I found that an AEA RPQ can be a nice match with the mic when you want it to be a bit more detailed in the top.

Can't say I've heard the bass bump that people are referring to. Just the rounded top end, which at first I was unsure of, but now I LOVE... I'd say that 50% of the time I don't even touch the top end with EQ.

This is one of my favourite mics for acoustic guitars, pianos, percussion... pretty much any acoustic instrument. I've been jamming one right in the middle of a drum kit, and with tons of creative EQ, it's been 80% of my drum sound for the past few albums I've done. It has WAY more headroom than a U87ai.

However, I don't generally love it on vocals... it could just be that I'm completely enamoured with my AEA 44 though... nothing seems to really beat it.

I did have someone bring in a session recorded at another studio, where he wanted to punch in a new verse on a vocal track which had been recorded on a vintage 67. With just a few touches of EQ, I was able to make the maxmod punch in seamlessly.

I did a vocal session a couple weeks ago, where I A/B'd a bunch of mics on a very Springsteen-esque voice. The maxmod gave the AEA a real run for it's money... I actually would have chosen it, but the artist was pretty excited about singing into a large ribbon mic. What was really interesting was that I threw the U87ai circuit back into the mic, just to see how it sounded on the artist's voice... and wow, I hadn't listened to that mic in six months, and it sounded really thin in comparison. I'm obviously very used to how the maxmod sounds now.

Little side rant: I see a lot of people on this site who seem to be looking for some kind of magic mic, where they don't need to use any EQ. The thing is that, yes, occasionally there are perfect matches between mics, preamps, and instruments where eq is unnecessary, but that's actually very rare. If you're doing dense modern music, EQ is required to fit things into place. I use a LOT of EQ, more than I ever used to, and I'm doing my best work. My work would have been a lot better years ago if I had ignored all the comments about how EQ should only be used sparingly, and that compression is bad... once I threw those rules out the window, I really started making progress.
Old 25th September 2018
Gear Addict

Thanks guys!

Quick update: Currently 10 Kits left.

Max
Old 27th September 2018
Here for the gear

Sound Files

Greetings all-

Wanted to share some quick files regarding comparisons with the Max Mod 67. I did a very non-scientific test with three mics: the TLM 67, the MK67 and the Mojave MA-300. I sang 3 different takes into each mic. The MK67 has an issue with the PSU and I'm waiting for a new one shipped by Max (thank you!). I was able to hold the mic "just right" to avoid the incredible hum. Therefore this test is not awesome, but I wanted to share anyway.

Here's the chain:

Microphone > Focusrite ISA One > Antelope Zen Tour > Harrison Mixbus 32C

Recorded at 96khz 32 bit. Exported at 48Khz 24 bit.

I know there are many people interested in the original TLM 67 vs MK67. I also have a "mixed" version of the MK67 to show how it can come alive in a mix.

Dropbox - MaxMod U67 - Simplify your life

Last edited by audioallstar; 28th September 2018 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: added a file
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioallstar View Post
Greetings all-

Wanted to share some quick files regarding comparisons with the Max Mod 67. I did a very non-scientific test with three mics: the TLM 67, the MK67 and the Mojave MA-300. I sang 3 different takes into each mic. The MK67 has an issue with the PSU and I'm waiting for a new one shipped by Max (thank you!). I was able to hold the mic "just right" to avoid the incredible hum. Therefore this test is not awesome, but I wanted to share anyway.

Here's the chain:

Microphone > Focusrite ISA One > Antelope Zen Tour > Harrison Mixbus 32C

Recorded at 96khz 32 bit. Exported at 48Khz 24 bit.

I know there are many people interested in the original TLM 67 vs MK67. I also have a "mixed" version of the MK67 to show how it can come alive in a mix.

Dropbox - MaxMod U67 - Simplify your life
I like the natural (non-hyped) high end on the Max Mod!
Old 4th October 2018
Gear Addict

Update: 5 pcs left
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
I like the natural (non-hyped) high end on the Max Mod!
Yes that’s it’s real strength! The bottom end works really well on thin voiced singers. Teletube eliminates the top end hardness, like completely. I actually think it was just the pf86 causing it. The top is the secret to the mod though with any good tube. Airy and not harsh. Takes eq very well
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes that’s it’s real strength! The bottom end works really well on thin voiced singers. Teletube eliminates the top end hardness, like completely. I actually think it was just the pf86 causing it. The top is the secret to the mod though with any good tube. Airy and not harsh. Takes eq very well
I agree with this. I replaced the pf tube with an ef Telefunken and the topend shines a little more and it's less harsh. Amazing mic for vocals.
Old 5th November 2018
Lives for gear
Any kits left? I tried emailing.
Old 6th November 2018
Gear Head

u67

can you sent me the price email to me [email protected]
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Nut

It's on it's way from Vienna!!

I've got a TLM67 I'm converting, can't wait.
I think I will do a mic shoot out.
I've got TLM49, a u87ai as well as u87i.
I'll try the mod out on the u87 out as well, I suppose I could use the TLM67 and the Max Mod u87 as a quasi pair?..
Old 22nd January 2019
Quick comparison, had both mics set up for a V/O and did a quick recording afterwards for... science

MK67 (u87) vs Stock 1963 U67. (VS South African accent)
Files are just labelled A & B for some GS fun.

The MK using the PF86 that Max supplied with the mod, NOS Tele EF86 in the u67.

Attached Files

sample B.wav (6.32 MB, 833 views)

sample A.wav (6.25 MB, 619 views)

Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

My guess is A is the original U67. B is the Mod.
Old 22nd January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Amazing thank you! I needed heavy hitters for this, and I just dont know anyone in that area. Very promising. No worries bro.
Hey did your you manage to get the Neumann transformer fitted. If you did was it worth the hassle? Is the sound closer to the original U67?
Thanks
Nik
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbeat View Post
Hey did your you manage to get the Neumann transformer fitted. If you did was it worth the hassle? Is the sound closer to the original U67?
Thanks
Nik
Yeah I did. It was exactly what I was looking for. I deleted my comments here because it got annoying with people trying to find out where I did the mod when the person who did it wanting to remain anonymous. Also, annoying getting emails like “I also agreed with with, I also want to get this done.” But didn’t chime in during the time I was trying to explain the discrepancy I was hearing with the max transformer. If really was an obsession. Recorded a bunch of artists in workinf with the passes 6 months, but for my EP I’m sticking with the 87 because I had already recorded a lot of songs with it, and I started getting tonal demoitis. I tried everything from u47 to c800g, and the 87 is what I’ll use this time. So saving money for my new monitors and mixing I decided to put it up for sale. Hope that helps.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...but for my EP I’m sticking with the 87 because I had already recorded a lot of songs with it, and I started getting tonal demoitis. I tried everything from u47 to c800g, and the 87 is what I’ll use this time.
Although a lot of people slag the the U87ai, I use mine all the time and with proper position I can make it work for almost anything. I have a room full of mics, but generally speaking I stick to 4 of them like glue. For vocals I like the Lawson L251, and for acoustic guitars I love the 87ai. When I first got the U87ai I didn't like it, as I thought it got in my face mid-wise, but then I learned to appreciate the forward mids. And since I generally record singer songwriters in my project studio both of these mics see overtime use. My other two favorite mics are the Neumann U89 which sounds killer on resonator guitars and violins, and the Sennheiser 421 which is just a really good all rounder dynamic. Sounds boring, but these mics get the job done, and I rarely second guess myself that I could have used something better to capture something that would work.
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
Although a lot of people slag the the U87ai, I use mine all the time and with proper position I can make it work for almost anything. I have a room full of mics, but generally speaking I stick to 4 of them like glue. For vocals I like the Lawson L251, and for acoustic guitars I love the 87ai. When I first got the U87ai I didn't like it, as I thought it got in my face mid-wise, but then I learned to appreciate the forward mids. And since I generally record singer songwriters in my project studio both of these mics see overtime use. My other two favorite mics are the Neumann U89 which sounds killer on resonator guitars and violins, and the Sennheiser 421 which is just a really good all rounder dynamic. Sounds boring, but these mics get the job done, and I rarely second guess myself that I could have used something better to capture something that would work.
Same here. The neumann transformer mod sounds like the u87 except fuller and the highs are silkier with more mouth details... almost like the highs have a multi band limiter with a slow attack and fast release... it’s sexy af. no weird resonance. On other singers and myself I don’t know if I can find a better mic than max mod and Neumann transformer under 8 grand new tbh. I had to message max and praise his genius personally. Yeah I’m selling it, so people will go oh yeah well he’s trying to put a good word on it. Truth is I’m not in a hurry at all, and will increase the price soon. hopefully I don’t have to sell it, but Im trying to get a sub6 without any hassles.
something about the hard edge of a u87ai that makes my voice more interesting... thinner than u67 but with the mxr and a room verb I appreciate that hardness because it’s the forwardness is still there. You can soften something, but you can’t make it hard. Pause. I my afrobeat type vox really matches with an 87 for now.
Also this might be weird... and probably no one ever talks about this, but A mic might sound like a million bucks on play back but it has to sound nice as I’m recording or my takes will be off... the u87ai is the first mic I’ve ever felt that with. I also had the vintage, couldn’t get along with it. I also like the reissue 67 way better than the vintage, so my taste is def unpopular around here
Old 22nd January 2019
Lives for gear

If anyone is interested. Send me an instrumental, tell me what to sing and I’ll record with an 87 and the u67transformermod this afternoon, and post here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search