The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Eiosis AirEQ Premium - Available Now !
Old 2nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Hope Eiosis doesn't descend back into vaporware...
Old 3rd September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33 View Post
Any news on the basic functionality of click and drag? It feels like it's been years...
Indeed; I think I was the first one to suggest it on here. I've stopped using the plugin for so long because it's just too cumbersome in the current state.
Old 5th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Indeed; I think I was the first one to suggest it on here. I've stopped using the plugin for so long because it's just too cumbersome in the current state.
Yes, this was one of the first features I requested as well. I believe that the thought behind AirEQ was to have it be integrated with the HW controller and to really rely on ears vs visuals (ie. no click + drag on nodes).

I really felt like FG had / has a lot of passion for this EQ and that it was going to continue to evolve and grow. One of my favourite EQs for sure and I would love to have this feature added as well as some others. Maybe Eiosis can pop in and comment.
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transverb View Post
Yes, this was one of the first features I requested as well. I believe that the thought behind AirEQ was to have it be integrated with the HW controller and to really rely on ears vs visuals (ie. no click + drag on nodes).

I really felt like FG had / has a lot of passion for this EQ and that it was going to continue to evolve and grow. One of my favourite EQs for sure and I would love to have this feature added as well as some others. Maybe Eiosis can pop in and comment.
I don't get how anyone could think that the ability to drag EQ points takes away from using your ears. Of course you use your ears when dragging an EQ point! Being able to adjust freq and gain at the same time makes it more like using a hardware EQ.

Come on Fabrice! It's years!
Old 5th September 2017
Lives for gear

Ditto! I'd use it a lot more if it had that function.
Old 7th September 2017
Yeah same here. I literally stopped using it after a few months because of not being able to click and drag. It's far slower than the likes of fab filter proQ to use. That and I actually don't rate the sound of the EQ as much any more. I liked it when it first came out but for some reason it never sounded like I hoped it would. I did an EQ shootout with a bunch of other EQs and airEQ actually didn't sound as good to my ears as the likes of mcdsp, brainworx or fabfilter; so I retired it
Old 7th September 2017
Lives for gear

For me it's the spectrum graph that is so special. That it shows frequency changes relative to eq moves. I'd never seen that before.
Old 8th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmix View Post
Just picked this up on the Labor Day sale, I am loving the sound and the workflow. For a "simple" digital EQ there is so much to love here. That Earth band is sensitive as hell but good lord does it ever give life to kicks.

I will reiterate that the click-and-drag functionality mentioned above would work really well with all of the (excellent and very smart) peculiarities of the ways in which Q, gain, and character interact. I'm envisioning some system in which each modifier key could be assigned to each of the values… Control for gain, Option for Q, and Command for character, for example. That would be fantastic. That being said one of the major selling points for me was the very fact that you can hide the analyzer.

I came here to post that a linear phase mode would also be excellent (something I was going to say I would pay for) but after playing with very small gain adjustments heavy on Water character, it kind of already does what I would want from linear phase.

Great job, Fabrice!!
Absolutely, there is still some upgrades to the framework we need to do to do proper click and drag..

And I agree with you, when people learn WHY it is a great thing to hide the analyzer, they can understand how to use their ears. But I understand as well those who need the visual feedback. Visual feedback never worked for me, but in some specific situations.

The linear phase would not be very interesting seeing the Water mode especially, that already reduces the phase shift drastically indeed. I compared a regular phase linear EQ and AirEQ's Water curves, and I preferred each time the Water curves.

Both Fire and Water has been designed and optimized to minimize the phase shift, and to keep the ear pleased with a great time response of the filters.

Fabrice
Old 8th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Gabriel View Post
Absolutely, there is still some upgrades to the framework we need to do to do proper click and drag..

And I agree with you, when people learn WHY it is a great thing to hide the analyzer, they can understand how to use their ears. But I understand as well those who need the visual feedback. Visual feedback never worked for me, but in some specific situations.
I couldn't care less about the analyzer, I just don't want to have to muck about with three pretend knobs per band when one point on a line and a modifier key or two on my keyboard will allow me to accomplish the same thing in a fraction of the time.
Old 8th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabrice Gabriel View Post
I wish you could hide the analyzer whilst retaining some sort of metering - I love the fact you can see the difference from pre/post eq levels and adjust. Maybe there could be a simple "led" dbx160 type thing on the face where let's say blue mean the post EQ was lower than the PRE, green is equal and yellow is louder? (or whatever, obviously)

Great eq!
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

What's the current progress on the AirEq control surface?
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
What's the current progress on the AirEq control surface?
I really wanted the control surface when I first saw it. It's something I'd still buy.
I like the sound of AirEQ, but the GUI is a bit clunky to me and I'm just slow at moving around the interface. I think physical knobs would change that.

I usually find myself using the plugin on 1 or 2 tracks but with a cleaner interface (perhaps mini-version) or the control surface I would use it on every track.

However, I don't think it's coming out anymore. Hopefully Fabrice can answer that.
Old 9th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I couldn't care less about the analyzer, I just don't want to have to muck about with three pretend knobs per band when one point on a line and a modifier key or two on my keyboard will allow me to accomplish the same thing in a fraction of the time.
Agreed, if anything it allows us to eq using our ears even more by just dragging mouse pointer to change the frequency and gain, otherwise I have to open my eyes to move the mouse from one virtual knob to another to make an adjustment.
I'm sure you can understand this Fabrice, right?
Old 9th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by superwack View Post
I wish you could hide the analyzer whilst retaining some sort of metering - I love the fact you can see the difference from pre/post eq levels and adjust. Maybe there could be a simple "led" dbx160 type thing on the face where let's say blue mean the post EQ was lower than the PRE, green is equal and yellow is louder? (or whatever, obviously)
I usually swap the controls to the top and hide the analyzer. Then, when I need the visual, I double click the faceplate, take a quick look, adjust if needed, and then fold it back up. I find it rather easy and quick.
Old 9th September 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Agreed, if anything it allows us to eq using our ears even more by just dragging mouse pointer to change the frequency and gain, otherwise I have to open my eyes to move the mouse from one virtual knob to another to make an adjustment.
I'm sure you can understand this Fabrice, right?
Using any kind of software is indeed much more convenient with eyes open !

What I mean by using your ears while EQing is relying on the shape of the curve to make decisions rather than solely the sound of the EQ.

You usually take different decisions wether you see the curve or not, because the curve is providing information that is absolute to a 0dB flat equalization, while when you listen without looking at the curve, your ears are providing information relative to the sound you're EQing.

That's the fundamental difference between both. That's why we did not include the drag feature in the very first version, because "applying" an EQ curve does not really make sense : it depends on the original sound.

Now, I understand that working on the curve is easier and faster, and that most people like to work that way. IMO, it might seem faster, but it's not really faster when you take the process entirely and especially the outcome is not the same.

This feature is still planned, it's just a tricky one as the Fire/Water peak gain does not correspond to the nominal gain, and as well there is a Q/Gain relationship which changes the nominal gain when you change the Q.

That's another feature that is "ear-fitted" in a way that the equalization energy changes when you change the Q, meaning that to have the same auditory effect at different Q, with any other EQ, you have to change the gain. A more musical approach is to provide parameters that allows the ear to relate to what is heard rather to what is seen or mathematically done.

So again in that case, putting a handle at the top of the curve does not work really well, so our plan is to port what has been done in the e²deesser to AirEQ, but with some refinements.

Fabrice
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
I really wanted the control surface when I first saw it. It's something I'd still buy.
I like the sound of AirEQ, but the GUI is a bit clunky to me and I'm just slow at moving around the interface. I think physical knobs would change that.

I usually find myself using the plugin on 1 or 2 tracks but with a cleaner interface (perhaps mini-version) or the control surface I would use it on every track.

However, I don't think it's coming out anymore. Hopefully Fabrice can answer that.
I would still consider buying the control surface too if we could get a simple update on what's going on with its development.

At this point though, I've learned not to even consider waiting around for anything Slate or Eiosis related to get done in a timely manner. They're probably way in over their heads with the current unfinished projects they still have going on (FG-X2, FG-Stress).
Old 10th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
I would still consider buying the control surface too if we could get a simple update on what's going on with its development.

At this point though, I've learned not to even consider waiting around for anything Slate or Eiosis related to get done in a timely manner. They're probably way in over their heads with the current unfinished projects they still have going on (FG-X2, FG-Stress).
I agree.

And every time the control surface is mentioned it gets ignored. lol
Old 28th February 2018
Here for the gear

"Analog" curves without "analog" phase...

Why?!
Attached Thumbnails
Eiosis AirEQ Premium - Available Now !-redlineeq.gif   Eiosis AirEQ Premium - Available Now !-aireq.gif  
Old 1st March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Vic View Post
Why?!
This explains so much!!!! I always thought the phase sounded so buggered with airEQ and it never felt right to me; so it has been sitting there collecting dust in my plugin folder!
Old 9th October 2019
Dear Eiosis dev(s),

Firstly, I'm impressed with AirEQ Premium! I didn't expect to be so impressed by a plugin that was released so long ago! If you're still developing things, I have some suggestions for improving/expanding AirEQ, below...

But first, hear is my review:

I do love your plugin. I'd rate it at least an 8 out of 10, in the battle of today's EQ plugins. It passes the "does it suck," part of what snake oil means.

However, I feel that it kind of fails the test of "is it Snake Oil," only in the sense that it uses vague words like air/water/fire/earth, in its description. I do love the style that those ideas add to the plugin, but I feel the plugin falls short of really carrying out the ideas of what those words might mean, for a plugin. Don't get me wrong, I do approve of Earth being for bass, and Air for highs; and I do like how the unique phase response makes Earth sound great, and the silky smoothness of Air helps out the high frequencies.

I wish that you had gone into more detail about exactly what makes the Earth phase responses unique, and whether the Air is just totally linear, or whether it has some dynamic EQ features built into it, etc. I have not read this whole topic, so maybe you did (I apologize, in advance).

All of that being said, here are some suggestions that I think might bring things forward, in the event that you plan to evolve the plugin some more, or come out with an entirely new one that is based on similar ideas:

I'd like to see you develop something that has more of a true translation of what the different elements might mean.

I'd love to see AirEQ Premium transformed into a new type of dynamic EQ, with all of the same features (especially the flat top curve thing, awesome job with that), and more (perhaps some sort of harmonics adding feature that only adds harmonics to the "difference" signal, whenever a dynamic boost or cut is triggered).

If you really think about it, Earth should be the only setting that is mostly static. Fire, air, and water, are all elements that move a lot.

Water is mostly what reminds me of a dynamic EQ... but with a muffling character of some sort (is it the high frequencies that are filtered down, in water?).

I think a true water dynamic EQ behavior would bounce down, then up, then back down, up, with the amounts dropping each time it bounces back and forth (like waves in a bath tub). It'd be cool if the water setting some how caused the sound to travel farther distances while remaining the same loudness (as opposed to an air setting). I'm not sure how to achieve that, but perhaps brightness and hardness might have some sort of effect. Perhaps some synthesis of ultra subsonic frequencies, generated from the wave form, would help (since bass travels farther).

Perhaps a less useful, but more creative idea for water: Allow a dynamic cut/boost to be triggered at a user-selected point, but then after its triggered, have the frequency roll up to nyquist, then back down to 0 or 10 Hz, back up, etc. (with the amount of cut and que amount becoming smaller and smaller as it rolls back and forth). It'd be like allowing users to splash a surface of water, at any given point, in a pool of water.

Fire and air both move very fast, and they aren't fluid (or they don't bounce back into the same form, so they don't make me think of traditional dynamic EQ's)...

Adding fire and air in a more true sense, would mean adding very chaotic behaviors. What I'd want might be counter-intuitive to what most people think a useful plugin can do... I want it to DESTROY THE SOUND!!

Heck, now that I think about it... has anybody done audio recordings with microphones that are sitting inside of fire? Would fire cause sound to be louder, or extremely filtered? These are questions that I will ask Chris J, from Airwindows. I know he studied a bunch of stuff that has to do with distances of microphones to space shuttles, takes offs, and explosions... and what the sound behaves like, in various gases.

Air should do barely anything, but hot air should allow the sound to travel faster/further (again, no idea how to achieve this).

Fire should be extremely chaotic and damaging to the sound. Perhaps, threshold points that are either variable & controllable by LFO's, envelopes, and sidechain audio inputs, or adding a randomizing threshold function... so that the threshold randomly jumps around within a range that the user sets). The same should be true for air, but the dynamic cuts/boosts of air shouldn't go beyond 0.5 dB... where as dynamic cuts of fire should be able to go up to +/- 30 dB. Fire should also have varying/random que settings... so that any fire points are all over the place. Even more, the frequency point could jump up and down, randomly (or, seemingly randomly... perhaps allow attenuation amounts of the the randomness vs. LFO/sidechain input/envelope be something that the users can change).

Lastly, I think it'd be hilarious if you added a Nitrous Oxide, N2O, or Whippets setting!

Sorry for writing a book, but you deserve the attention!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Just registered on the Eiosis site.
Request answered for the Trial.

The info states that an iLok-2 is needed ?!?!?

I already have an iLok Account with several other vender plugins ... with them, I store my iLok data on my work computer.

So the question:

Do I need to have a Dongle to actually use AirEQ ??

thanks for any clarification.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Just registered on the Eiosis site.
Request answered for the Trial.

The info states that an iLok-2 is needed ?!?!?

I already have an iLok Account with several other vender plugins ... with them, I store my iLok data on my work computer.

So the question:

Do I need to have a Dongle to actually use AirEQ ??

thanks for any clarification.
This may not directly answer your question but, AirEQ is also part of the Slate All Access Pass subscription bundle.
In that context you can use AirEQ via iLock Cloud.
So it can at least work via a Cloud as opposed to an iLok dongle.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
This may not directly answer your question but, AirEQ is also part of the Slate All Access Pass subscription bundle.
In that context you can use AirEQ via iLock Cloud.
So it can at least work via a Cloud as opposed to an iLok dongle.
Hi Beatworld,

Maybe, Kinda ... but I'm not going via the Slate subscription bundle.

My thought is to 'single' purchase direct from eiosis.

I'm reading on the iLok site: Some publishers allow activation to a host computer or the iLok Cloud in addition to the iLok USB Smart Key.

That is how I normally activate.

Still thanks for the reply!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJHollins View Post
Hi Beatworld,

Maybe, Kinda ... but I'm not going via the Slate subscription bundle.

My thought is to 'single' purchase direct from eiosis.

I'm reading on the iLok site: Some publishers allow activation to a host computer or the iLok Cloud in addition to the iLok USB Smart Key.

That is how I normally activate.

Still thanks for the reply!
Pity the Eiosis site doesn't have a contact link
You need to find how to contact Fabrice and ask.
The point is, at least for the Slate Bundle, Cloud is an option so it can't be too difficult to at least offer that if you just get the AirEQ.,
Good luck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search