The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VolumeShaper 4 Out Now!
Old 13th November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by andivax View Post
Easily?! How in cubase? In reaper it is by internal plugins but not so easy and fast as it should be.
Split the track into 2, 3, 4, etc. tracks/auxes, use filters in those to create the bands, process each band how you want (PS: you don't even have the cutoff frequencies on the same frequency ). The more bands, the more filter tweaking you need of course. But once done, just save it. You can even keep these bands fix in a session template. Then route all or specific sounds via sends to them and apply sidechain by taste on each band, and/or other effects, and/or EQ, and/or comp... you get the idea

Et voilà... you got your own most flexible super duper from new york to zurich to hong kong massive parallel multiband sidechaining effects EQ compression

To get even more crazy, you might put yet another send on those band auxes, to let's say a reverb, or sequenced effects, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Split the track into 2, 3, 4, etc. tracks/auxes, use filters in those to create the bands, process each band how you want (PS: you don't even have the cutoff frequencies on the same frequency ). The more bands, the more filter tweaking you need of course. But once done, just save it. You can even keep these bands fix in a session template. Then route all or specific sounds via sends to them and apply sidechain by taste on each band, and/or other effects, and/or EQ, and/or comp... you get the idea

Et voilà... you got your own most flexible super duper from new york to zurich to hong kong massive parallel multiband sidechaining effects EQ compression

To get even more crazy, you might put yet another send on those band auxes, to let's say a reverb, or sequenced effects, etc.
Omg! It is not easy at all. And eats much mire time thou!
I just put the plugin in insert and tweak 2 knobs. Voila )
Quote:
Omg! It is not easy at all. And eats much mire time thou!
I just put the plugin in insert and tweak 2 knobs. Voila )
The more bands, the more complicated, yes. A solution I don't use often. But when I need to use it, it's much better than any plugin, because I can process the bands differently, what these plugins can't.

I will check VS4 out. But I doubt it'll convince me, because I'm the type of engineer that often prefers the most flexible solution instead of the most comfortable.

As I said already, it's up to your workflow. Then you can decide if 40, or 140 bucks are worth it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, what I need is sidechain compression. Not Volume Shaper, nor Vengeance per se. That's a difference.
Ducking using compression and ducking using volume are two different things, though... should one have a preference for one over the other.
Lives for gear

Quote:

To go completely insane, you could just slap on Blue Cat's MB-7 Mixer and process up to 7 bands differently.
Old 14th November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Ducking using compression and ducking using volume are two different things, though... should one have a preference for one over the other.
I heard that, but the explanation didn't convince me. Why is compression (controlling volume) different to volume automation? Besides, that you can "draw" volume in every way possible?
Old 15th November 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
I heard that, but the explanation didn't convince me. Why is compression (controlling volume) different to volume automation? Besides, that you can "draw" volume in every way possible?
Compression doesn't necessarily control volume. It reduces dynamic range. Lowering volume doesn't reduce dynamic range. It reduces the level, leaving dynamic range virtually intact.
Old 17th November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Compression doesn't necessarily control volume. It reduces dynamic range. Lowering volume doesn't reduce dynamic range. It reduces the level, leaving dynamic range virtually intact.
Yes, that's true, as long as you do "normal" compression.

Let's say we'd use a kick/trigger that is a square with the length of 200ms. So attack = 0ms, sustain = 200ms, release = 0ms

The sidechain compressor is set to attack = 0 ms, release = 0ms. As soon as the trigger signal hits the threshold, what will happen is: instant ducking (= 0ms) for 200ms (the trigger signal is 200ms long), after that instant release. What do you think? On the processed/ducked signal: Will be the whole signal ducked, or just the peaks above the threshold?

I say it's the whole signal, leaving the dynamics. If you work with a kick-driven sidechain, you don't lower dynamics of the processed signal. You lower the volume when the trigger-kick comes (lowering the volume as long as the attack is set as soon as the trigger signal hits the threshold), as long as the trigger is above the threshold (sustain), and then below the threshold the volume comes back again (as fast as release is set). So I'd say, during the "compression" (= sustain) you lower the WHOLE processed signal, keeping the dynamic of the processed signal.

You cannot just lower the "peaks/content" above the threshold of the processed signal, leaving the content below the threshold, thus reducing the dynamics. That would be "normal" compression, not sidechain driven where kick/trigger lowers bass.

But please, prove me wrong. Because otherwise it seems that I have a completly wrong understanding of compression and sidechain triggered compression.
Looks like volume shaper 4 crashes reaper x64. I have a huge project with 3 VS and i just replace it with vengeance . Crashes gone.
Quote:
Looks like volume shaper 4 crashes reaper x64. I have a huge project with 3 VS and i just replace it with vengeance . Crashes gone.
This shouldn't happen of course.. do you have a crash report for us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob /Cableguys View Post
This shouldn't happen of course.. do you have a crash report for us?
Does Reaper has crash reports system ?
I will help with pleasure .
Old 13th February 2015
Here for the gear

VolumeShaper 4.0.1 out now

We have updated VolumeShaper to v4.0.1. From multiband sidechain compression effects to extreme gating, from tempo-synced stutter to precise sample-shaping VolumeShaper provides a wealth of creative musical effects with an unmatched visual approach to volume modulation.

Bug-fixes and improvements in version 4.0.1:

When running in One-Shot mode, the LFO could sometimes add a short click sound.
Fixed a small UI bug in the MIDI setup screen.
Improved multi-selection of waveform points.
Improved compatibility with Cubase 8.
Improved compatibility with OS X Yosemite.

We recommend all users to update to the latest version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-sBDcivGxU
Old 16th November 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

My most used vst are Fab pro-q2 - The Drop and this vst Volumeshaper 4
Old 13th March 2016
Lives for gear

I can't see anywhere on the website about AAX. Is this available yet? @ Jakob /Cableguys See a comment in here from 2014 saying it was coming!

To mimic a comment previously, an output knob on here would be incredible useful.

Volumeshaper 5 maybe?
Old 14th March 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
I can't see anywhere on the website about AAX. Is this available yet? @ Jakob /Cableguys See a comment in here from 2014 saying it was coming!

To mimic a comment previously, an output knob on here would be incredible useful.

Volumeshaper 5 maybe?
For now, we've delayed AAX development in favor of creating features and new products such as PanShaper.

However, our plugins might work well in ProTools with plugin wrappers such as Blue Cat's PatchWork, but we have not tested this ourselves (Blue Cat offers a demo version that you can give a try, though).
Old 14th March 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob /Cableguys View Post
For now, we've delayed AAX development in favor of creating features and new products such as PanShaper.

However, our plugins might work well in ProTools with plugin wrappers such as Blue Cat's PatchWork, but we have not tested this ourselves (Blue Cat offers a demo version that you can give a try, though).
Fair dos bro, thanks for the reply.
Old 25th March 2016
Lives for gear

@ Jakob / Cableguys

Feature request

Would be awesome if we could multiple "scenes" within one plugin instance. What I mean by that is, setting up, say, 4 different simultaneous "rhythms" set at one bar each, and then allow the plugin to cycle through each 4 to make up a bar (or whichever measure you choose).

I could do this now but I'd have to create 4 separate instances of VolumeShaper and then automate each one to switch on/off accordingly.

This gives even more creativity potential
Old 25th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Biffro View Post
@ Jakob / Cableguys

Feature request

Would be awesome if we could multiple "scenes" within one plugin instance. What I mean by that is, setting up, say, 4 different simultaneous "rhythms" set at one bar each, and then allow the plugin to cycle through each 4 to make up a bar (or whichever measure you choose).

I could do this now but I'd have to create 4 separate instances of VolumeShaper and then automate each one to switch on/off accordingly.

This gives even more creativity potential
I'm just going to extend on your idea:

I'm not a VolumeShaper user or owner but what might make me one is if it where possible to have many patterns programmed at the same time and be able to switch between them with MIDI notes in a similar way to Glitch2 or Stutter Edit. So not just 4 patterns but 128.

Alistair
Old 27th March 2016 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I'm just going to extend on your idea:

I'm not a VolumeShaper user or owner but what might make me one is if it where possible to have many patterns programmed at the same time and be able to switch between them with MIDI notes in a similar way to Glitch2 or Stutter Edit. So not just 4 patterns but 128.

Alistair
Absolutely!

In our new plugin PanShaper, you can switch between waveforms via automation. I guess we'll add this for VolumeShaper at some point, too. Toggling via MIDI will be a nice addition, too.
Old 16th April 2016
AAX please.
📝 Reply