The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES LA: Barefoot MicroMain45 Studio Monitors
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

AES LA: Barefoot MicroMain45

Barefoot Sound is proud to introduce our newest studio monitor, the MicroMain45. Featuring the same signal path, amplifier and driver technologies as our flagship MiniMain12, the MicroMain45 is stripped down to the bare essentials in order to deliver renowned Barefoot resolution and translation at a more affordable price. Prepare yourself for the next Barefoot revolution!

Link: Barefoot Sound MicroMain45 product page

Description: 3-way active monitor
Controls: Input level stepped attenuator, Equalization contour
Input Impedance: 50k Ohm
Frequency Response: 40Hz – 45kHz (±3dB), 53Hz – 40kHz (±1dB)
Bass Response: -3 dB @ 40Hz, Q = 0.707, Slope = 12 dB/octave
Cabinet: 14 liters total internal volume, Sealed woofer and midrange enclosures, Machined aluminum baffle plate, Long fiber wool acoustic damping throughout
Crossover Frequencies: 600 / 2500 Hz
Tweeter: 1? ring radiator, Advanced geometry motor, Rear waveguide chamber
Amplifier: 180W Hypex
Midranges: 2 x 2.5? aluminum cones, Advanced geometry motor, +/- 2 mm linear excursion
Amplifier: 180W Hypex
Woofers: 8? aluminum cone with high linearity motor, +/- 13 mm linear excursion
Amplifier: 250W Hypex
AC Power Input: Nominal 115 VAC or 230 VAC selectable
Power Consumption: Idle: 18W, Maximum: 400W
Weight: Speaker: 37.5 lbs each (17 kg), Shipping: 47 lbs each (21 kg)
Dimensions HxWxD: 11.0 x 15.5 x 11.0 inches (279 x 394 x 279 mm)

MSRP: $5995 USD

Visit us at AES 2014 in Los Angeles, Booth #1031 to see and hear the MicroMain45.

Cheers!
Thomas
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Price?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

You can find more info at the MicroMain45 New Product Alert thread!

Cheers!
Thomas
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Nut

Just what I'm looking for. What's the UK MSRP?

Thanks
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

pretty
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Maniac

so this is 8" actually a new woofer for Barefoot
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

Looks great
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Is this price per pair or individual?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

there is only 1 bass woofer - so is there no bass force canceling out tech in the mm45?
and does the mm45 have the MEME thing?
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee View Post
Is this price per pair or individual?
I believe its for the pair and if if yes I might be keeping an eye on these maybe I'll change my K&H to these
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvalle View Post
there is only 1 bass woofer - so is there no bass force canceling out tech in the mm45?
and does the mm45 have the MEME thing?
you just answered your own question; there is no opposite woofer, so no force cancelling....

If you look at the back of the cabinet there is no input for the MEME thing so also 'no' I would say. There are a lot of eq options though.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear
UUhhh! Very pretty and right there in the price range
to compare with Adam S3XH and the other mid 3 ways
Old 10th October 2014
MicroMain45

Congrats on the new product release!

However, I'm not quite sure how/where this product fits in your line?

I thought Barefoot prided themselves on their MEME and 'dual-force-cancelling-sub' technologies? Both of these Barefoot technologies are non-existent on this new product. This is certainly by no means a complaint or criticism, but interesting none the less. Why the design philosophy change? Or is it a change? Or are you simply striving for a different 'kind of sound' for a different 'kind of client?'

It's also priced quite close to the MM35 model, which leads me to my next question: what does a GearSlut buy? And why? Do you go for the MM35 model or a pair of MM45s? What would be the main driver to steer a customer towards one model and not the other (besides price)?

It (the MM45) looks like a super cool product. I was absolutely floored by the MM27 pair(s) that I've heard. Do these compare?

Thanks in advance, and I can't wait to hear more about the product before I hear the product!

Cheers,

Phil
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Guru

Smile

WOW
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Here's my guess-

Thomas is passionate about design FIRST, businessman 2nd (or 6th).....

With that in mind, he dreamed up this model- utilizes latest circuits- represents his current theories- it needs to be made. Thus the new model.

The mm35: great monitor- proven technology, countless happy pro users- you can't go wrong.

With that said, buy the latest model - I can't see him designing a monitor to fit a price number- hell- I'm sure pleanty of people thought he was insane for introducing the mm27 - at $8,000! The "kid atop the hill" at before that was the Adam S3A which was like $5,500?
Would seem ill advised-
But, I remember the forum here (and one other?) where Thomas and Teddy were discussing the initial mm12 - Mr Lucey had the vision initially to "risk" the cash on this startup. I think my pair were 7&8.
Watching this company take over was very similar to my experience with Veruca Salt, The Pumpkins, Fall Out Boy ascend.... Exciting stuff
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Well said, Doug!
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hmm, I wonder if because there are no opposing subs that there is less time alignment 'trickery' going on inside the speakers ...

Perhaps Thomas could enlighten us on the decisions behind the new design philosophy?
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Exclamation

also curious about the removal of the Sub cancelling technology
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Any problem placing these thing vertically instead of horizontally?
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Tantalizing! I'm still curious about the price, I mean the MM12's go for $20K, it seems a stretch even for the "stripped down to the bare essentials" version to go for $6K a pair, though I'd be delighted for sure! I applaud and greatly appreciate the effort to bring Barefoot’s top of the line a little closer to the rest of us!

Bill.

Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hey, Slutz, Thomas will chime in shortly to explain his thought behind the 45s, but no need to overthink it. It's his newest painting.
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

I remember 15? Years ago when Multiband compressor plugins became available. I then had a additional way to treat masking of frequencies in the midrange- a step forward!

If you were my client in those days would you want me to resist using my latest tricks and the latest technology?

He's an technical artist like we are. Additionally, he's in a particularly prolific point in his career.

Rupert Neve, developed many great sounding amp stages. He'd make a great sounding germanium transformer curcuit then ditch it for class A then class AB, then TLA (transformer less) know makes his own custom transformers! That doesn't mean I'm a sucker for buying one of his old consoles with a "bunch of crossover distortion"!
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

looks cool, DSP crossovers I guess, so why no AES3 input ??
Old 10th October 2014
Gear Addict

I wonder how loud these things get.
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Smoove View Post
I wonder how loud these things get.
Plenty .
Just heard them at AES.
Amazing.
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

Roundbadge, what are your thoughts on MM45 vs MM27...?

Wish I could be there...
Old 11th October 2014
Gear Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencerc View Post
Roundbadge, what are your thoughts on MM45 vs MM27...?

Wish I could be there...
always hard to do a real eval on the aes floor but very very much in the family of sound.low punchy,mid and top clarity is right there.
the little mid drivers are bitchin.
its seriously like a baby slice of the behemoth mm12's [that are sitting right next to the 45's and 12's on the show floor].
they're bigger and beefier than I expected.
there's some super cool eq curves you can switch around on a little pot on back
but me thinks the atc 25's should be very afraid.
Attached Thumbnails
AES LA: Barefoot MicroMain45-img_4617.jpg  
Old 11th October 2014
Lives for gear

I see that it's confirmed at Vintage King that the price quoted is indeed for a pair. I've always wanted a pair of Barefoot monitors, finally there's a pair within reach. Can't wait to try these out!

Old 11th October 2014
These are in reach for me too. I'm interested to read what Thomas has to say and to hear them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search