The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AES LA: Waves-EMI TG12345 Channel Strip
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Software AES LA: Waves-EMI TG12345 Channel Strip

I guess this time I'm the first to post this:

Abbey Road EMI TG12345 Channel Strip Plugin | Waves

EMI/Abbey Road TG 12345 EQ and compressor (TG1, we were waiting for you to arrive!!). Great!

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 1st November 2014 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: Tag fix
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Addict

Interested
Old 8th October 2014
Waves-EMI TG12345 Channel Strip

Waves and Abbey Road Studios bring to life the legendary TG12345, the first-ever solid-state console from EMI which epitomized the sound evolution of the late '60s and early '70s and helped shape groundbreaking recordings by the Beatles, Pink Floyd, and many others.

Thanks to meticulous component modeling, the Waves/Abbey Road EMI TG12345 channel strip plugin captures every celebrated feature of the one-of-a-kind original console: the input mic preamp, down to every last detail of its harmonic distortion, hum and noise; the bass and treble EQ bands from the mic cassette; the presence EQ band from the console's group/main section; the lush-sounding spreader; and to top it all off, the console's famous compressor/limiter, with its distinctive, irresistible sound.

The plugin offers routing options that cover the entire TG12345 line, from the one and only MK I desk on which it was modeled, to the final MK IV models.

In addition to the console's original features, new elements have been added to accommodate modern mixing needs, including a high-pass filter on the compressor's sidechain, a mix control in the dynamics section for easy parallel compression/limiting, a drive control, and much more.

Whether used for tracking, mixing or mastering, in the studio or live, on an individual channel or on a master bus, the Waves/Abbey Road EMI TG12345 will give your mixes the beautiful compression and the unforgettable crisp, bright and rich sound of a true classic.

Developed in association with Abbey Road StudiosBased on the legendary TG12345, the first solid-state console from EMIA complete modeling of the entire TG12345 channel strip3-band EQ with continuous gain and frequencyIncludes TG12345’s famous compressor/limiterModeled on the actual desk used by the Beatles on their album Abbey Road
Old 8th October 2014
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

so I'm presuming this is the dynamics replacement for the TG12413 ?
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Looks like it. Unfortunately they moddeled the original compressor layout with the hold pot. You need to use the input and output gain to adjust the threshold the compressor sees.

The meter seems to be a bit buggy: when set to show GR it jumps between top (0dB GR) and bottom when the signal cuts of (AAX native here).
Hope this will get fixed.
Old 8th October 2014
Absolutely gorgeous!!! (in both, stetic and sonic ways)
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear
Curious to hear this one, the old AR/EMI 12413 had no sat/harmonic
added whatsoever, the RS124 was hella colored but
kind of a one trick pony
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear
Looks tasty. Not familiar with console so much? Anyone care to explain the EQ section?

There is a treble gain, variable presence, and bass gain.

Is this like REDD, which to me is like 2 shelves?
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Nut

Looks very interesting, an "advancement" from REDD which I think I'll still use from time to time. Also great to have Noise (variable and noise off).
Nostalgic...
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Cool!
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

In-depth tutorial...

Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hmmm... quite alot like a combination of the old Abbey Road 12413 Limiter and TG Mastering Pack plugins that Abbey Road apparently couldn't afford to continue support for. Since they now have all new plugins available to sell us... I guess business is looking up for them. Probably not enough to support their previous customers via these new versions, though.
Old 8th October 2014
Ouch! the truth hurts.
Old 8th October 2014
$84 after discount at audio deluxe. It certainly looks to be a combination of those two unsupported TG plugs, but at a much better price-point. Those TG EQ's are very nice, btw, and if you haven't worked with them (they were pricey) this is probably a good opportunity.
Old 8th October 2014
Lives for gear

Not excited at all! Sorry but the only plugin emulation I ever got excited by was the original EMI RS124 compressor plugin. Unfortunately, it is defunct and abandoned plug for which I paid a lot of money (by my standards) when it was originally released, and now, in win8 64bit it is totally useless. Saying that, I would buy it again in a heartbeat again.
Old 8th October 2014
I'm in the same boat with the TG Mastering Pack. EMI left us high and dry with one. It still works with Win7, but each system and daw update brings that one closer to death and it wasn't cheap.
Old 8th October 2014
and another plugin i wanna have but don't really need. heh
Old 8th October 2014
Here for the gear

I tested this against old TG12413 Compressor/Limiter and its not the same. Waves version is much faster. Old one has 47ms attack in Compressor mode and 8ms in Limiter mode. This has 1ms for both modes. Recovery times are different either. So the Waves version is squashier. I used TG12413 (1969) plugin on overheads in Comp mode with Hold at 1-2 o'clock and Recovery mode 1. Waves TG12345 with these settings sounds more like Limiter.
Old 8th October 2014
Gear Addict

The Best part is the Spread knob. the saying - a little goes a long way, was never more adequate than here.
Old 8th October 2014
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimndroll View Post
I tested this against old TG12413 Compressor/Limiter and its not the same. Waves version is much faster. Old one has 47ms attack in Compressor mode and 8ms in Limiter mode. This has 1ms for both modes. Recovery times are different either. So the Waves version is squashier. I used TG12413 (1969) plugin on overheads in Comp mode with Hold at 1-2 o'clock and Recovery mode 1. Waves TG12345 with these settings sounds more like Limiter.
Thanks for the info. I really liked the old plugin on drum room mics. I'm still excited to check this out.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
Hmmm... quite alot like a combination of the old Abbey Road 12413 Limiter and TG Mastering Pack plugins that Abbey Road apparently couldn't afford to continue support for. Since they now have all new plugins available to sell us... I guess business is looking up for them. Probably not enough to support their previous customers via these new versions, though.
+1

After what they did back then, I decided not to deal with them again.

I am pretty sure they are smilin' these days, and feel lucky they got away with
leaving all the 'old' customers with zero support.
I really don't trust these guys no more ...

G
Old 9th October 2014
Here for the gear

Just bought it tonight
Sounds great
Compressor takes some getting used to and very easy to overuse
Still a good plugin though
Probably make REDD redundant though
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

This Waves version is SO MUCH better than the old TG Mastering pack.
The 12345 is definitely not right for everything because it's got loads of attitude, but because of that it's so much vibier than the old stuff that didn't have the modelled saturation.

Seriously, plugins over the last few years are really coming of age.
Old 9th October 2014
I am a long time owner of all the pre-Waves Abbey Road plugs, so I feel the pain of the burned - that being said, this plugin is very useful for $84 - has a great tone and attitude - still demoing, but will likely buy it...
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

The channel dynamics and the mastering compressor / limiter (modelled in the old plugin) are not the same hardware, so won't sound the same.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear

I know Waves no longer support below OSX.7 , but has anyone got this running in Snow Leopard?
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Guru

Smile

more rehash and marketing of the supposed "old stuff" with pretty "vintage" graphics.
ok yet another "recreation/emulation".
I giggle every time a plugin company swears in its slick voice over/music it nailed the modeling of the original circuitry and "gives you the chance to recreate the sounds that made history" LOL

software is the great wide open-lets see something new and groundbreaking.
Old 9th October 2014
Lives for gear
nice price the compressor actually sounds very snappy good job here
Old 9th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
I know Waves no longer support below OSX.7 , but has anyone got this running in Snow Leopard?
I am using it in 10.6.8 just fine - I didn't even know that goof

Roundbadge - I agree on the marketing BS, but this plug gives a certain good tone quickly that has some juice and life to it - a usable tool, but it won't make you a star, ha ha
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search