The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Galaxy Instruments Definitive Piano Collection
Old 9th October 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmi View Post
Hi all,

I just found out about this thread regarding our newest pianos and thought I chime in So I'll try to clarify some of the questions above:

First of all, we're not exclusively "under the umbrella" of Native Instruments, but some of our ideas are appealing to them and that's why the collaboration makes sense for both of us. As soon as there's something that's not matching the NI portfolio plans, we'll still do it

Regarding the Vintage D: It is still available (and will be in the future) as it is a different piano and has no relation to the Definitve Piano Collection. The three new instruments have been created completely from scratch and are only available through Native Instruments.

Comparison to other GI Pianos (+ The Giant): We've used our Kontakt engine and even extended the dynamic range and sample amount, as well as including a resonance function and optional transient shaping (+ new presets). It's in no way a "dumbed down" version of our previous releases.

The instruments behind the names: For The Grandeur we've recorded a large and open sounding Steinway D, a totally different flavor compared to the Vintage D. The Maverick is sampled from an old Bechstein grand (1905) with lots of character and I find it to be very inspirational. If I press a single key, it instantly wants me to play with it for a while (but maybe that's just me). The Gentleman is based on an old Bechstein upright (1908) with all original parts and "special" grand-like mechanics, so lots of dynamics.

I hope I could answer your questions and if not, please let me know. If you have tried our new instruments, we're happy to hear how they feel and play for you guys.

Cheers,
Stephan
Thanks for the infos !

Will get these next month for my birthday.

That said, I hope you'll sample a FAZIOLI F308 in the near future .
Old 10th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've been trying out the pianos now, and for me it's not bad, but not a slamdunk win either. Use the demo period is my best advise. I bought it unseen, and while I won't lose sleep over that decision, I'm not sure it was right either.
Old 10th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
I've been trying out the pianos now, and for me it's not bad, but not a slamdunk win either. Use the demo period is my best advise. I bought it unseen, and while I won't lose sleep over that decision, I'm not sure it was right either.
But how can you demo these?

I have Kontakt Player. I would like to demo them.
Old 10th October 2014
Here for the gear

E Instruments Session Piano is my favourite at the mo. Emo by Soundiron would be top if it weren't for the random noise in some of the samples. I would like to give this new product a go.

The problem i have had with Galaxy libs in the past is that whilst they sound nice and atmospheric on their own i have consistently found them difficult to place in a mix context, especially alongside an Orchestra. I don't make Pop so maybe they are more suited to that genre. I've always felt they don't sit far back in the Hall too well unless you process the hell out of them.

Im really hoping this Native Instruments relationship doesn't mean NI get a say in Galaxy's final sound though, Im wondering if its down to NI's post processing method, but to my ears they continually release thin harsh un-natural sounding libs.

I'd like to see Galaxy team up with someone like ilya efimov who in my opinion boss the Kontakt/realism scene.
Old 12th October 2014
Gear Addict
Sorry if I'm a complete moron, but I click everywhere in the website, but I am missing where to buy?
Old 12th October 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by seclusion View Post
Sorry if I'm a complete moron, but I click everywhere in the website, but I am missing where to buy?
Komplete : Keys : Definitive Piano Collection : Pricing | Products
Old 13th October 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 View Post
But how can you demo these?

I have Kontakt Player. I would like to demo them.
The download is always a demo, until you authorize it. You can download it from the NI website.
Tui
Gear Guru

I do not think it is possible to demo this piano library.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
The download is always a demo, until you authorize it. You can download it from the NI website.
Of course, but how do you download without purchasing? The only download links I saw required purchasing.
Old 13th October 2014
Demo works only for effects and synths, not for KONTAKT libraries.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Demo works only for effects and synths, not for KONTAKT libraries.
That's what I thought. Always a pity with Kontakt Library's .. can't demo them. I always like to know how stuff feels when I play it instead of just going by sound demo's that someone else with a different setup played.
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Dear Stephan thank you for the info.
The only thing that I confused about is why the mid range notes , right around C4, they all sound a little like nylon strings.
I don't hear the sound of the hammer striking the steel strings, rather I hear kin of like the sound of plucked nylon strings.
Can you expand on that.
Thank you so much.
dan
Old 31st October 2014
Here for the gear
Thanks for all the opinions so far. :-)

There is already a test for the pianos available. Unfortunately it is in French but Google-translator did quite a good job:

Original:
Banc d'essai des pianos acoustiques virtuels Native Instruments Definitive Piano Collection - Audiofanzine

Translated:
https://translate.google.com/transla...anistique.html
Old 31st October 2014
Well, after reading this test, I'm still gonna get these.

Their Galaxy Vintage D is by far my favourite sampled piano. And the rest of the line is top notch to my ears. So I'm sure I will disagree with this test when I play these 3 pianos.

Thing is, this is soooo subjective... We all have a different way to play piano. Be it according to the kind of music we make, the chords/voicings/registers we prefer, the dynamic range we like... I was surprised after reading it all, like WTF ?!

And I was already convinced by the audio demos on the Galaxy Instruments website, and like I said, according to their previous roster which I like very much, it's hard to imagine these being "bad".

Just my 2 cents .
Old 1st November 2014
Some great (well played) videos (480p, but you get a good idea).

The Gentleman

The Grandeur

The Maverick

Old 1st November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoman303 View Post
There is already a test for the pianos available. Unfortunately it is in French but Google-translator did quite a good job
Only 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. I expected much better from Galaxy, and if I'm honest the demos below didn't do much for me either. It's not an issue of demos not translating because it was a similar demo which sold me on Vintage D, which is my go-to sample as well. It's an outstanding piano VI.
Tui
Gear Guru

The Maverick is quite special.
Old 1st November 2014
Lives for gear

The Gentleman sounds the most different.

Maverick sounds sort of like Logic's stock Steinway piano. Not too special. I didn't feel too good about The Grandeur either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
The Gentleman sounds the most different.
It the upright, the other two are grands.

Quote:
Maverick sounds sort of like Logic's stock Steinway piano. Not too special. I didn't feel too good about The Grandeur either.
I thought of Logic's stock piano, too. Admittedly I've not played it but audio demos tell you enough. They're recordings after all, and we'll be making recordings, so they're fairly indicative of what we'd get from them.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Only 3 1/2 out of 5 stars. I expected much better from Galaxy, and if I'm honest the demos below didn't do much for me either. It's not an issue of demos not translating because it was a similar demo which sold me on Vintage D, which is my go-to sample as well. It's an outstanding piano VI.
Not sure about the basic tone either but I think a big plus is the option to shape the sound quite drastically into different moods as shown in the vids.

Elambo, I've given the Vintage D demos on their HP Vintage D a go after your recommendation and I absolutely agree that they sounds excellent (not sure about the processing involved though).

My favorite piano since years is the QLP Boesendorfer, especially after the latest Play 4 update where a lot of background noises etc. were thankfully removed. It sounds perfect for me right out of the box. Love the ability to combine different player perspectives too.

But I am looking for a Steinway with a similar deep and soulful tone. I also like the interface the Vintage D provides, which contains lots of tweaking possibilities. I know this subject is highly personal but - if you are aware of the QLP Steinway - do you think the QLP and the Vintage D are in the same ballpark in regards to depth, soul and character or would you consider the Vintage D far superior? Thanks in advance.
Old 2nd November 2014 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maverick sounds sort of like Logic's stock Steinway piano.
What..?
Old 2nd November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
What..?
What part of that didn't make sense?
Old 3rd November 2014
Lives for gear

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!
Old 3rd November 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that!
It's not just you and in fact I actually heard from another person who'd made the same comment independently.
Old 10th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've just got Komplete 10 Ultimate and have had a quick play with these pianos. On first impressions they sound good. However, I spent a little extra time with Grandieur and did some tweaking and haven't been able to stop playing it. It sounds superb after making some changes and there is a lot of parameters you can tweak.

I did an a/b of Grandieur next to Garritans Steinway Professional and I much preferred it. Looking forward to comparing these NI pianos to Orange Trees Rosewood Grand which has been my goto over the past year!
Old 10th December 2014 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've just got Komplete 10 Ultimate and have had a quick play with these pianos. On first impressions they sound good. However, I spent a little extra time with Grandieur and did some tweaking and haven't been able to stop playing it. It sounds superb after making some changes and there is a lot of parameters you can tweak.

I did an a/b of Grandieur next to Garritans Steinway Professional and I much preferred it. Looking forward to comparing these NI pianos to Orange Trees Rosewood Grand which has been my goto over the past year!
Would you care to share your settings ?

Always great to know what others people like.
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Head

Well, after testing the 3 new pianos, here's what I think :

- The Grandeur is very similar to the vintage D (which is pretty good): It has rich powerful bass (like the vintage D), and when you play forte, the grandeur sounds a bit more natural than the vintage D. it feels expressive and responsive. The only flaw: It was recorded very close to the mic, so it sounds very "in your face", it's not a problem for piano solo but in a mix, especially with Vocals, it can be too overwhelming.

- The two others, The gentleman and Maverick, are much, much too muffled, I hate how they sound!
Old 29th March 2015
Gear Addict

I tested all three pianos and I found that about 50% of the samples, across all three libraries, had clicking at the attack portion of the sample. Listen on headphones, with a bit of HF boost and you should hear it. I'm a huge fan of the older Galaxy Pianos, for which I was a beta-tester, so I was very disappointed by this. I emailed them about this but never heard anything back.
Old 18th August 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjay View Post
I tested all three pianos and I found that about 50% of the samples, across all three libraries, had clicking at the attack portion of the sample. Listen on headphones, with a bit of HF boost and you should hear it. I'm a huge fan of the older Galaxy Pianos, for which I was a beta-tester, so I was very disappointed by this. I emailed them about this but never heard anything back.
Rjay,

I'm having the exact same clicking issue and it's driving me crazy (I've had the same problem with the Braunschweig Upright by Imperfect Samples). Did you ever get it resolved?
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Hi...I just tried out these 3 pianos. The Gentleman and The Maverick have a nice subtle and singing intimate quality that just makes me feel like I am playing in some little German bar at the turn of the century. The Grandeur also has a nice tone, but a little bigger and fuller for a classical concert hall setting. I love all 3 of these pianos!
πŸ“ Reply