The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Propellerhead announces Reason 8 DAW Software
Old 7th August 2014
Software Propellerhead announces Reason 8

Available 30 September.

https://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/reason8/
Old 7th August 2014
"Reason 8 has the most radical rethinking of Reasons workflow ever - we made it work like all the other DAWs"

Im kidding...but the sequencer...audio...the MIDI sequencing...but anyways looks like a great product esp if you were starting out...
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

They little behind with all DAW standards this days..especially browsers...finally in version 8 And this change screen from mixer to rack looks like graphics issue...But still good product
Old 7th August 2014
Interesting, but still too expensive.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

I hope this "radical rethinking" includes proper crossfading
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Awesome update for $150. I spent more money on other things like a night of partying with homies at a club in Chicago.

I think they are really ahead of the curve in terms of sequencing compared to other DAW. The new browser features are a welcomed improvement. Wish I could go back to a system like there where everything is in one box.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Gotta say it..... I looooooove that Transport bar creaaaamy white ;-) mhmhmhmh

Am i going to pull the trigger for Reason???
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodwest View Post
Awesome update for $150. I spent more money on other things like a night of partying with homies at a club in Chicago.

I think they are really ahead of the curve in terms of sequencing compared to other DAW. The new browser features are a welcomed improvement. Wish I could go back to a system like there where everything is in one box.
Can you explain that a bit because I find the sequencer mind bogglingly bad. Try drawing in a simple sequence... But it looks like theyve addressed that so Ill demo it and probably upgrade. I got it free with a Livid controller Ive since sold and want to like it and use it soley as a sound source. Well that was the intention but if the sequencer becomes usable its as stable as anything out there
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Addict

Kind of cool but here are my gripes:

- Nn-xt sampler can still only hold 88 samples, no disk streaming.

- probably no crossfades

I'm still on 6.5 and I've stopped using it due to workflow frustrations. It's great they fixed the browser and changed the sequencer, but I'm not sure if those changes will be enough to make it as good as some of the competition.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahan40 View Post
- probably no crossfades
I'm not a programmer, but why is it so hard to make so simple, basic but important feature..
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm with all of you point of you and with the probabilities but guys we really don't know IF big IF there's no crossfade feature in this new re-think Reason8 right? We only saw one video... lets give them a chance and i'm sure more vids will show up as we approach September. One thing for sure it would be really disappointed I got to admit if there's no crossfade feature and those basic but important stuff like @Ukki1 mentioned knowing that Reason has been there for ages. Me too, used to use Reason back in the days and stopped at version 5 or 6 ... don't know anymore...

Hope Reason Dev team are reading cuz they would have 3 weeks to make that happen lol

Let's see ....
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
I'm with all of you point of you and with the probabilities but guys we really don't know IF big IF there's no crossfade feature in this new re-think Reason8 right? We only saw one video... lets give them a chance and i'm sure more vids will show up as we approach September. One thing for sure it would be really disappointed I got to admit if there's no crossfade feature and those basic but important stuff like @Ukki1 mentioned knowing that Reason has been there for ages. Me too, used to use Reason back in the days and stopped at version 5 or 6 ... don't know anymore...

Hope Reason Dev team are reading cuz they would have 3 weeks to make that happen lol

Let's see ....
I hope you're right, I just think if they didn't have crossfades before and they added them, they would probably advertise it as they're kind of important for audio editing haha.
Old 8th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahan40 View Post
Kind of cool but here are my gripes:

- probably no crossfades
Pages 226 in the manual?

Or

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...72676100,d.cWc

?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by naakaala View Post
Yes, when editing takes. But if I have only one clip (or one take) in sequencer, it isn't possible. Correct me if I'm wrong, i haven't used Reason in a while.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Looks cool. May be a better companion to PT than ableton.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Doesn't look like much of an upgrade - a point release maybe.
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Apparently the RE extra's are each 100+ euro easily, so expensive DAW to expand!
Old 9th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician View Post
Apparently the RE extra's are each 100+ euro easily, so expensive DAW to expand!
This has been the subject of much debate (here on GS and the Propellerheads forum); the fact is that RE's are around 15% cheaper than their VST counterparts...other DAW's are even more expensive to expand.
Old 9th August 2014
Gear Addict
Very few RE's are 100 euros or more. The average price is probably around 50, with many low price ones available. Many of these make experimental synth combinations in ways not possible elsewhere, apart from maybe Ableton/Max, which also charge similar prices for add-ons. So they are no more expensive than plugins, but because of the Reason environment, are extremely stable, and possible to integrate into modular patching in ways impossible with normal plugins. Many of them are high quality, and are demo'd easily. Also there is not a problem with fades on individual clips - like Logic and PT just drag the handle on the edge of the clip.
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

They should of made the upgrade cheaper for R7 users because many have just upgraded from old versions. To pay to upgrade again, already, is a pain because that money could be spent on new RE's...
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

REs are a bloody scam if you ask me. So Ive got the legacy collection in AU/VST/ect but am asked to spend $80ish for monopoly again. That they couldnt pen a contract whereby people that owned an equivalent AU/VST should get the RE at like 90% off if not free. THeres no argument to this - its fine if you ONLY use reason but I hardly use it and REs while arent the reason. That stupid hack of a sequencer is - which theyve addressed it looks like so Im pretty interested to try this
Old 10th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsyourself View Post
Also there is not a problem with fades on individual clips - like Logic and PT just drag the handle on the edge of the clip.
I had to download the demo just to see if I've been lying myself and others all the time.. now I feel just stupid. When they made it!?
Old 10th August 2014
Lives for gear

The other main "feature" that I am interested in is the ability to have to personal licenses so I can use Reason on my Laptop and PC..

*hint hint* *wink wink*
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Addict
I do that at the moment - what is the problem?
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do that at the moment - what is the problem?
I could not.
Old 11th August 2014
Gear Addict
You can authorise with computer, internet or dongle, so it is easy to run Reason on another computer besides your main one. Or any computer at all, in fact.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can authorise with computer, internet or dongle, so it is easy to run Reason on another computer besides your main one. Or any computer at all, in fact.
The Propellerhead license is only good for one computer at a time.

/p
Old 12th August 2014
Gear Addict
Yes, that means you can authorise one computer (like your desktop) to use Reason without any dongle or internet connection. For your laptop you use the propellerhead dongle with your licence on it, or authorise it online every time you open it - which is very simple. So technically your laptop isn't authorised in the way your desktop is, but you can use Reason on it (or any other computer) - the authorisation is on the dongle or the internet. It is very flexible. I do it without any problem.
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

HMM i dont have a dongle at all and I have the option of loging in to run the full program or not log in and have no access to RE's and other stuff - so completely dongle free here
Old 12th August 2014
Lives for gear

HMM i dont have a dongle at all and I have the option of loging in to run the full program or not log in and have no access to RE's and other stuff - so completely dongle free here
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search