The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Propellerhead announces Reason 8 DAW Software
Old 13th August 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
From the Promo video, it does not that radically different from 6 & 7, but let's see. Will be interesting when more information is released regarding actual new features.
Old 13th August 2014
  #32
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
"Reason 8 has the most radical rethinking of Reasons workflow ever - we made it work like all the other DAWs"

Im kidding...but the sequencer...audio...the MIDI sequencing...but anyways looks like a great product esp if you were starting out...
Old 15th August 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
VST can still learn a lot from Reason.. especially regarding pattern machines, usability conventions, lanes, pattern painting, pattern variations, etc. That's worth an entire new VST major release to catch up with this... Reason is the only DAW which got the 303, 808, 909's, etc. right..

Unfortunatley RE doesn't come with an Ableton Live Session Matrix.

The best DAW is still to be built.
Old 16th August 2014
  #34
Gear Head
 

The new features of Reason 8 look interesting but the upgrade price of €129 from Reason 7 is far too much.
Old 17th August 2014
  #35
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
VST can still learn a lot from Reason.. especially regarding pattern machines, usability conventions, lanes, pattern painting, pattern variations, etc. That's worth an entire new VST major release to catch up with this... Reason is the only DAW which got the 303, 808, 909's, etc. right..

Unfortunatley RE doesn't come with an Ableton Live Session Matrix.

The best DAW is still to be built.
Regarding 303,808 and 909 If you ever only used Reason or Rebirth i will understand why you said this but in every other way your statement is irrational joke. Literally. There are plenty of alternatives to what you said, most are far superior emulation then Reason ever was. And even these far more advanced versions aren't satisfying to some users..

And believe me everything you listed regarding Reason is and was already existing decades ago (pattern generators, drawing lanes yadayada). In case you did not notice Reason introduced something so mandatory as drag and drop from browser in year 2014. Function which is used almost since the beginning of all operating system ever. So much about everyone else need to catch up with Reason.

There is one thing which noone else have and that is modularity and pretty much noone can argue about that. And Reason alone is great system for making songs but to say that others need to catch up is nothing short of hilarious. You do realize that with the latest update 8 they will essentially offer functions which are there in every other host?

They say the devil is in the details, and Reason 8 packs a slew of small improvements to the workflow. Double-click to add notes and double-click notes to delete them. Resize from both edges and duplicate notes with a quick command. Tracks are named after the patch you load. Plus many more…

See - right above is listed from their website and that is exactly how things are working in every other leading application for nearly decade...

Not trying to start a war here but please let's keep this in reality...I a msure you are all hyped about some functions but believe me they are "here" for quite some time..
Old 27th August 2014
  #36
Old 27th August 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Looooooking good everytime they come up with new video. Of course not new coming from S1 but always love the Dr Rex stuff back in the days, love it sound etc.. maybe gonna upgrade, will see.
Old 28th August 2014
  #38
Gear Maniac
 
CharlesEdward3rd's Avatar
 

I commend propellerhead for trolling the gearslutz forums and listening to everything I said, that was needed to be said about updating reason to a respectable workflow standard. Just wish I would of got a check for it.
Old 28th August 2014
  #39
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpod View Post
Regarding 303,808 and 909 If you ever only used Reason or Rebirth i will understand why you said this but in every other way your statement is irrational joke. Literally. There are plenty of alternatives to what you said, most are far superior emulation then Reason ever was. And even these far more advanced versions aren't satisfying to some users..

And believe me everything you listed regarding Reason is and was already existing decades ago (pattern generators, drawing lanes yadayada). In case you did not notice Reason introduced something so mandatory as drag and drop from browser in year 2014. Function which is used almost since the beginning of all operating system ever. So much about everyone else need to catch up with Reason.

There is one thing which noone else have and that is modularity and pretty much noone can argue about that. And Reason alone is great system for making songs but to say that others need to catch up is nothing short of hilarious. You do realize that with the latest update 8 they will essentially offer functions which are there in every other host?

They say the devil is in the details, and Reason 8 packs a slew of small improvements to the workflow. Double-click to add notes and double-click notes to delete them. Resize from both edges and duplicate notes with a quick command. Tracks are named after the patch you load. Plus many more…

See - right above is listed from their website and that is exactly how things are working in every other leading application for nearly decade...

Not trying to start a war here but please let's keep this in reality...I a msure you are all hyped about some functions but believe me they are "here" for quite some time..
Hang on a minute. How many times have Ableton, Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase added features that weren't in other DAWs? Propellerhead have had there fair share of innovations over the years and Reason is still the best for some things. How it handles automation, midi controllers, undo on everything, all the modular stuff, stability, CPU friendly... Reason is up there with the best.
Old 28th August 2014
  #40
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
Hang on a minute. How many times have Ableton, Logic, Pro Tools and Cubase added features that weren't in other DAWs? Propellerhead have had there fair share of innovations over the years and Reason is still the best for some things. How it handles automation, midi controllers, undo on everything, all the modular stuff, stability, CPU friendly... Reason is up there with the best.
Yes it is! And it is/was innovative. There is no doubt about that. I never claimed it is ****ty software. Not sure about what you mean regarding automation as it is pretty much the same as in many other DAWs as far as i can see it. Midi controllers? Support for them is right there right from start in every possible host out there. Let us not mention that Reason added MIDI out recently which is another feature available for decades in other software. Undo on everything..Cubase have it far far and much deeper (believe me i tried it), FL Studio as well sport undo on everything(it does have history browser).

Stability and modularity - best Reason strength but keep in mind some other DAWs have modularity as well. I won't go in to CPU debate we all know how Reason synths sound cheap (Thor is ok)

Overall i am not bashing it - i just can't belive what are they selling under upgrade as something innovative and workflow changer - while literally most of these features are most definitely there in other apps for free and right from start i mean noone ever advertised something as Drag and Drop as a uber feature in upgrade..I never saw this.

Anyway or other better now then never. Quite honestly today i was looking to find used Balance and i am likely going to buy it or maybe i will wait few month and buy used Reason 8..It does seem more mature now and kinda nice.

Now they only need to allor RE transfer

KVR: Petition: Propellerhead - Allow license transfers for Rack Extensions (Topic in the 'Off Topic' forum)
Old 31st August 2014
  #41
Lives for gear
 
Dysanfel's Avatar
I looks like Ableton with the racks on the top and some more fancy graphics. Have they ever got around to allowing VST/AU support?
Old 31st August 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 

all this does is makes it a usable DAW it looks like. And Why Ill upgrade. It sits there totally unused ATM. These "features" are bog standard DAW Stuff - theres not a single innovative feature here - its utterly boring but essential
Old 15th September 2014
  #43
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
HMM i dont have a dongle at all and I have the option of loging in to run the full program or not log in and have no access to RE's and other stuff - so completely dongle free here
Yes I can do so as well, but I have checked again and when you run the "Authorizer" program you can only authorize one computer at a time.
Old 30th September 2014
  #44
Lives for gear
User Demo of the new Softube Amps

Old 30th September 2014
  #45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysanfel View Post
I looks like Ableton with the racks on the top and some more fancy graphics. Have they ever got around to allowing VST/AU support?
Nope.
Old 30th September 2014
  #46
Lives for gear
 
ksandvik's Avatar
 

I was hoping Reason 8 had a *a little bit more fun* features, or at least some good free Propellerhead RE bundles as part of the upgrade, but none, so I won't upgrade , again, at least for a while until I see if they change their mind in a couple of months due to low sales and bundle more REs into their upgrade...
Old 30th September 2014
  #47
You're right - the value equation is a little too finely balanced...an RE instrument would swing the balance.
Old 1st October 2014
  #48
Gear Addict
 
mmahan40's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik View Post
I was hoping Reason 8 had a *a little bit more fun* features, or at least some good free Propellerhead RE bundles as part of the upgrade, but none, so I won't upgrade , again, at least for a while until I see if they change their mind in a couple of months due to low sales and bundle more REs into their upgrade...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
You're right - the value equation is a little too finely balanced...an RE instrument would swing the balance.
I definitely think they will probably throw in a free RE eventually, maybe the new guitar one?

I'm just hoping I'll be in the free upgrade window.

I do think the $130 price tag is just a bit steep, however I'm pretty satisfied with the purchase. That being said, I haven't upgraded since version 6.5, so for me I gained a lot of functionality.

Here is a quick and dirty initial review I did if anyone is considering purchasing the software:
Old 16th November 2014
  #49
Lives for gear
 
Lucin Niega's Avatar
 

Any improvement in the audio editing? Sample accurate?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump