The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD Elysia compressor Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th August 2014
Software UAD Elysia compressor

Looks like they've got some new goodies on the site. Mpressor and Alpha plugins.

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 7th August 2014 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Tag fix
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Native ports from Brainworx. Nice options for real time use with the Apollo, but these are pretty easy on the CPU so I'm not sure why you'd want them for UAD otherwise.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

I really wish there was some upgrade for native plugins to these UAD versions.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Native ports from Brainworx. Nice options for real time use with the Apollo, but these are pretty easy on the CPU so I'm not sure why you'd want them for UAD otherwise.
Pretty disappointed to hear its a port over. Unfortunately I have yet to be impressed by anything ported over from Brainworx to UA.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Looks like they've got some new goodies on the site. Mpressor and Alpha plugins.
I cant see how these would be anything other than a total waste of money for someone like yourself, or myself.

I cant even understand UAs thinking behind this. Anyone doing this for more than a minute already has PLENTY of compressors, and if a person is foolish enough to thinks they'll gain anything from these plugins, other than a pretty new picture to look at, then i guess they deserve them.

Another round of pressors for the plugin junkies i guess.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
I really wish there was some upgrade for native plugins to these UAD versions.
Why would you ever want to take a native plugin and tie it to a CPU limited dongle that adds offline processing time and latency?
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Why would you ever want to take a native plugin and tie it to a CPU limited dongle that adds offline processing time and latency?
So you showed up to a UAD plugin thread to trash UAD?

Stay classy San Diego
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
So you showed up to a UAD plugin thread to trash UAD?

Stay classy San Diego
No, I am wondering what possible reason someone would want to switch from native to UAD. Other than realtime Apollo tracking - but with the plethora of comps already available for that, I can't imagine why this would be necessary for a cue mix comp. I own an Octo with 90% of their plugins, and before that owned 2 Quads, a Duo, and 2 UAD-1's. So I'm not trashing anything. I've given Universal Audio tens of thousands of dollars over the years.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No, I am wondering what possible reason someone would want to switch from native to UAD. Other than realtime Apollo tracking - but with the plethora of comps already available for that, I can't imagine why this would be necessary for a cue mix comp. I own an Octo with 90% of their plugins, and before that owned 2 Quads, a Duo, and 2 UAD-1's. So I'm not trashing anything. I've given Universal Audio tens of thousands of dollars over the years.
Your original statement sounded very anti UAD with no explanation.

Quote:
Perhaps you only buy most UAD plugins because they are not available elsewhere?

Anyway, I use some very CPU intensive stuff so I like to offload processing everywhere I can. There are many ways to do this and I use UAD as one of those ways. I also love my Apollo and the quality of UAD plugins.

So yes, I'd love to move the plugin to the UAD platform, or at least have the option to use it that way when I want.
Old 6th August 2014
FWIW, they are nice plugins.

Mpressor does what it says (creative compressor) but sounds a bit harsh. Alpha sounds sweet and its very well featured.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Mpressor does what it says (creative compressor) but sounds a bit harsh. Alpha sounds sweet and its very well featured.
The mpressor plugin is not half as good as the alpha. I had a hardware mpressor and although the plugin is close compression-wise, sonically its night and day.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Your original statement sounded very anti UAD with no explanation.

Anyway, I use some very CPU intensive stuff so I like to offload processing everywhere I can. There are many ways to do this and I use UAD as one of those ways. I also love my Apollo and the quality of UAD plugins.

So yes, I'd love to move the plugin to the UAD platform, or at least have the option to use it that way when I want.
I think what feck was getting at was that something like brainwork's plugins aren't very cpu taxing at all natively, whereas they will consume a set amount of dsp on the UAD platform which is more expensive pound for pound to run on, where you can save the dsp to run the more heavy hitting plugs UAD are coming out with such as the mkII stuff. For example, Transient Designer. Are you really benefitting that much running on the UAD platform? I can probably run about a thousand of those on my 6 core i7 and the cpu meter won't budge at all. heh
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Absolutely. If I could avoid the card, I would unequivocally buy all the plugins natively, and even pay more for them. I can't count how many times I've maxed out my cards and had to re-distribute plugins during a mix. But even worse is how much extra time having to pass through the PCI bus adds to offline rendering. I do hundreds of productions/cues a year. Adding up all the extra time UAD plugins contribute during rendering is pretty scary. But I love them - stable as hell and for the most part fantastic sounding and ergonomic. I know that isn't everyone's workflow or needs, so to each their own. All that being said, the Elysia plugins are VERY CPU light as Animus mentioned. Of all the plugins I could see someone needing to offload to DSP processing, these would be near the bottom of the list in my opinion. They sound good though, I have been using them since day 1 of release. It's interesting to see UAD get all these 3rd party plugins on their platform. It's almost as though they are trying to go back 10 years and beat Avid at the HD game.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
I think what feck was getting at was that something like brainwork's plugins aren't very cpu taxing at all natively, whereas they will consume a set amount of dsp on the UAD platform which is more expensive pound for pound to run on, where you can save the dsp to run the more heavy hitting plugs UAD are coming out with such as the mkII stuff. For example, Transient Designer. Are you really benefitting that much running on the UAD platform? I can probably run about a thousand of those on my 6 core i7 and the cpu meter won't budge at all. heh
You ever play a nice lush pad on DIVA? Just sayin, I'm giving it all she's got, captain!
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You ever play a nice lush pad on DIVA? Just sayin, I'm giving it all she's got, captain!
Haha, yeah, Diva is a HOG! But she sounds sooooo good. Now that kind of plugin offloaded to a CPU card, I could see making a lot of sense.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

The UAD transient designer sound better/different then the native plug so in that case there's a point buying it.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
The UAD transient designer sound better/different then the native plug so in that case there's a point buying it.
BS, it is very same algo. I dont understand those nonsense porting of native plugins.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I really like the UAD plugs that I own.

Today I did a few A/B test between the Softube Trident A Range and the UAD version demo. I didn't want to, but the UAD came far closer to the A Range than the Softube (yes, I've worked on a real A Range a few times). Both are on the high end side of channel strip plugins. I hope that UA will do unision verions of the A Range and the SSL.

Beyond that, I want them to develop new instruments as well as emulations of the Yamaha CS-80, and various modular synths.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post

Beyond that, I want them to develop new instruments as well as emulations of the Yamaha CS-80, and various modular synths.

Yes agreed. off topic but I'd like to see them create a DAW. I've been a logic user since the early emagic days and have always find myself waiting for bug fixes throughout the years. I have never been a fan of PT. Something tells me if the clever group at UA put their heads together to create a DAW, it would be top notch. I have also been a UAD user since Mackie and UA first started the UAD journey. And although it was a little bumpy back when Mackie was affiliated, its been very smooth sailing since they've been out of the picture.

Now lets get back on track
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have the native Elysia compressor since it's release. I like it for the more "creative" type of compression. It's also pretty light on the CPU.
As an UAD owner however, I'm not sure I see the point or the advantages of re-releasing it for this platform...
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecubeman View Post
BS, it is very same algo. I dont understand those nonsense porting of native plugins.
No it's not
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is not the same algorithm at all. The UAD version is not coded by Brainworx, so it is not a port.

At the Uaudio webshop you can see the name of the developer under every plugin. That's giveaway #1. The second giveaway is that UAD had this particular SPL plugin a long time before they let Brainworx port over their native plugins.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

Elysia compressors have been available native for a few years now and UAD cards can barely run their new plugins. UAD should have gone native 2 years ago at least, as there's no sense of having DSP power in 2014.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOLOSONIX View Post
.UAD should have gone native 2 years ago at least, as there's no sense of having DSP power in 2014.
Speak for yourself - I'm happy to have every bit of extra dsp power I can get!

/ watches another UAD thread go down the same predictable path.
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
BS?........the UAD Transient Designer was developed by UA many years ago, way, way before BX ever got into the partnership gig with UA. The UAD TD is not a BX UAD plug-in. Think twice before being so quick to calling someone out with this BS nonsense.

Although, I do agree that the direct 1 to 1 porting of native to UAD is not really my cup of tea. Part of the allure of the UAD platform is getting access to plug-ins that you cannot get native. For added incentive, I think any direct ports should have additional features not found on the typical native version (like the GML option on the UAD Oxford EQ would have been nice) or at the very least, you should be able to get both licences (native & UAD) included when buying the UAD plug-in.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
The mpressor plugin is not half as good as the alpha. I had a hardware mpressor and although the plugin is close compression-wise, sonically its night and day.

So true, the alpha plugin is pretty amazing, the mpressor not even
in the same ballpark

Syra, quick question ever compared the mPressor w/ the xPressor? (i have the
latter and same as you I didn't like the mpressor plugin at all)
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Can't comment on the hardware, but regarding mpressor/alpha: they're very different beasts, can't really compare them. I agree that the Alpha is the better-sounding comp, but the mpressor can do some very weird stuff that the Alpha can't.
Old 6th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbird View Post
I cant see how these would be anything other than a total waste of money for someone like yourself, or myself.

I cant even understand UAs thinking behind this. Anyone doing this for more than a minute already has PLENTY of compressors, and if a person is foolish enough to thinks they'll gain anything from these plugins, other than a pretty new picture to look at, then i guess they deserve them.

Another round of pressors for the plugin junkies i guess.
That's a curious attitude.

I've not tried these particular plugins -- and honestly, I probably won't -- but I do happen to own an xpressor and an nvelope500, so I'm familiar with Elysia's hardware. I'd venture a guess that "someone like myself" (whatever that is supposed to mean) could easily find a use for these plugins.

They're just tools, my man. No point in getting yourself worked up over them.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
BS?........the UAD Transient Designer was developed by UA many years ago, way, way before BX ever got into the partnership gig with UA. The UAD TD is not a BX UAD plug-in. Think twice before being so quick to calling someone out with this BS nonsense.

Although, I do agree that the direct 1 to 1 porting of native to UAD is not really my cup of tea. Part of the allure of the UAD platform is getting access to plug-ins that you cannot get native. For added incentive, I think any direct ports should have additional features not found on the typical native version (like the GML option on the UAD Oxford EQ would have been nice) or at the very least, you should be able to get both licences (native & UAD) included when buying the UAD plug-in.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
I have used them both and one thing I noticed is the UAD TD has more gain (is "hotter") than the native version, which is probably why people often say the UAD versions "sounds better".
Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually this is inaccurate
I used to have the TD-4 and was going to sell it when I heard of the native plug. I tried it and frankly, it sucked. When I got into the UAD platform I tried that version and it sounded pretty spot on, that's when I sold my TD-4. Recently tried both side by side (just to make sure I hadn't convinced myself of something) and the sound very different.
In general the porting of native to UAD doesn't make a lot of sense to me, the cool thing about UAD is the unique things that are on the platform and the extra capacity it gives you to work with. This (I think) is the only plugin in the UAD catalog that sounds different from its native counterpart
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search