The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Vladg/Sound releases Nova-67P - Parallel Parametric EQ & Compressor DAW Software
Old 25th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesha View Post
I just want to present my design of this great plugin.

All the best
Lesha

Very nice Lesha!
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Addict

KVR: #KVRDC14: Acon Digital Multiply Chorus AU, AAX & VST Plugin Effect for Mac OS X & Windows wins the KVR Developer Challenge 2014

1st place: Multiply by Acon Digital
2nd place: Nova-67P by vladg/sound
3rd place: Emissary by Ignite Amps

GUYS, I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT! I’M HAPPY A LOT WITH THE 2ND PLACE!

– Vlad

My plans are:
1. Re-skin it ASAP
2. Re-release it under Tokyo Dawn Labs in 4-5 weeks (including "professional" beta-testing and GE version with more features)

PS. Also the interesting information, the winner was predicted in the beginning of August:
Why Acon Digital Multiply Should Win The KVR Developer

So, AAX support must have next time :-)
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Addict

(double post)

Last edited by vladg; 26th August 2014 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: (double post)
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Guru
I'm very bummed first place was a matter of AAX support. That totally blows because it means someone with the resources to pay for that and are structured to support it have an edge. A developer challenge should be about the little guy and showing fresh thinking. I've lost total respect for the competition and KVR for supporting such nonsense.

BTW- This isn't a knock on Acon and their great entry. It is about Avid and their formats making it hard on developers.....

Last edited by ardis; 26th August 2014 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Amended
Old 26th August 2014
Lives for gear

Congrats to @vladg for the 2nd place. Much deserved and Big thank you for sharing your great audio products to the community. Appreciated ;-)
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
BTW- This isn't a knock on Acon and their great entry. It is about Avid and their formats making it hard on developers.....
It's Avid policy to protect customers from unexperienced developers who make not professional plugins.

So this entry won not because it has AAX support. It has AAX support because it's great and professional and due to that it won.
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Guru
I agree and understand. I just find it disappointing that being available in a format that a developer has to pay for is a factor in a competition. It isn't like programming in VST or AU, unless I'm wrong. From what I understand it is a big deal and expensive. Personally I think the plug in is great and deserves the honor. Just thinking if there's a student (or small developer), with a great idea, it will stack the deck against them in the competition, which is contrary to showing off new talent and fresh thinking. I guess the same could be said for being only VST or AU in terms of limiting votes, but AAX involves licensing fees (unless I'm mistaken). The reason I voiced (my opinion), that Avid makes it hard on developers is due to abandoned formats. Anyway completely outside my expertise so I'll shut up now!
Old 26th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardis View Post
I agree and understand. I just find it disappointing that being available in a format that a developer has to pay for is a factor in a competition. It isn't like programming in VST or AU, unless I'm wrong. From what I understand it is a big deal and expensive. (...)
It's iLok 2 (~$40) + ~$500 per year for AAX signing + digital certificate for code signing ($180 per year)

Not really a big deal if you have some income but looks impossible for a student.
Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

Nova-67p v.1.0.3 update:

1. Added compressor bypass parameter
2. Default preset now has stereo mode setting
3. Fixed a couple of possible crashes due to race condition bugs
4. New skin by Lesha

Nova-67P v1.0.3 update including new skin by Lesha | vladg/sound
Nova-67P | vladg/sound

Some info how to turn off the compressor in new version:

Old 29th August 2014
Gear Addict

(double post)
Old 29th August 2014
Great! Thanks (once again) Vlad!
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Nova-67p v.1.0.3 update:

4. New skin by Lesha

Nova-67P v1.0.3 update including new skin by Lesha | vladg/sound
Nova-67P | vladg/sound

Some info how to turn off the compressor in new version:
Thanks very much Vlad.

This has fixed the crash issue in Logic I reported when loading Presets while playing tracks.
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Vladg,

Even better! Dig the Lesha look. *smile*
Old 30th August 2014
Lives for gear

Nice work on the compressor bypass and stereo default. I've got the most use out of this on the mix buss or "mastering", so that's perfect for me.

The multiband on this thing is so sweet. I've been compressing around 3bd on a 2:1 ratio at around 200-300hz, then boosting a little around 1k-2k for "mastering" an album I've recently been working on. It works a treat. I've never found anything that works that smooth before. It's damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned!
Old 30th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Nova-67p v.1.0.3 update:

4. New skin by Lesha

Thanks VladG for this great tool.

Now when I switched compressor off I can hear only EQ, and I must admit it is really top quality. It preserves dynamic and it's smooth with taste.
Now I understand that compressor adds harmonics and EQ doesn't. That is why I heard the difference.
I have only one question because I couldn't find any info in the manual.

Stereo Unlinked mode. How it affects eq? I can hear difference in stereo when I switch btw. Stereo and Unlinked Stereo modes.

Can we open new thread on the KVR forum for further conversation?
Thanks
Old 30th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post

Thanks
You can do that here as well @ the music computers section.

Old 30th August 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post

Maybe VladG planning his own forum, who knows? Lets see what will be.

I also changed color of my skin for Nova76 to Gearsluts.com color. (Aniversary skin option)
Or you can imagne that you drivng Purple Audio eq in your imagination.

Old 30th August 2014
That looks good! GS purple haze!
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Sugar View Post
Nice work on the compressor bypass and stereo default. I've got the most use out of this on the mix buss or "mastering", so that's perfect for me.

The multiband on this thing is so sweet. I've been compressing around 3bd on a 2:1 ratio at around 200-300hz, then boosting a little around 1k-2k for "mastering" an album I've recently been working on. It works a treat. I've never found anything that works that smooth before. It's damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned!
Yeah! I alsways disliked multiband compressors and I think it's because their crossover filters are often very "hard" but not musical. I think if filters sound great in EQ they should sound great in multiband compression too. That's the idea behind this plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
Thanks VladG for this great tool.

Now when I switched compressor off I can hear only EQ, and I must admit it is really top quality. It preserves dynamic and it's smooth with taste.
I have only one question because I couldn't find any info in the manual.

Stereo Unlinked mode. How it affects eq? I can hear difference in stereo when I switch btw. Stereo and Unlinked Stereo modes.

Thanks
Stereo unlinked mode doesn't affect EQ at all. Stereo linking affects only gain reduction (compression) stuff.

Quote:

Original support thread was there

KVR: Nova-67P DC14 topic (Topic in the 'KVRDC14 Chat' forum)

but due to end of KVR DC14 it's time to create new thread somewhere else. Do it where you want to :-)

Nova-67P is pretty complex and it needs a great tutorial. The coolest thing about this plugin is dynamic/static bands interaction. Sometimes it's unpredictional but very musical! I didn't have much time to play with this plugin so I'm not ready for such tutorial yet.
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

Bad news
New version does not load in patchwork plug in Pro Tools 11 project made with older VST version of Nova-67P

Mac OS 10.9.4
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Bad news
New version does not load in patchwork plug in Pro Tools 11 project made with older VST version of Nova-67P

Mac OS 10.9.4
The number of parameters was changed to include compressor bypass one. Probably that's the reason of the problem. Strange, all DAWs I tested react normally to such change...

Does it work in a fresh project through patchwork?
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
..Does it work in a fresh project through patchwork?
Yes,without problems.
but older doesnot load
Old 31st August 2014
Lives for gear

That is why I want you to make paid GE version with AAX
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
That is why I want you to make paid GE version with AAX
The only thing I can recommend is to wait. First, new Tokyo Dawn Labs mastering compressor (it's almost ready) and next Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova-67P free and GE versions (both will have AAX support).
Old 31st August 2014
Quote:
The only thing I can recommend is to wait. First, new Tokyo Dawn Labs mastering compressor (it's almost ready) and next Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova-67P free and GE versions (both will have AAX support).
Lovely news. I wonder what's gonna make it into Nova GE since its already pretty damn great in terms of features...

OT: is the new TDR mastering comp a "mk3" of the Feedback Compressor or is it a brand new plugin? Sorry if that's been asked before!
Old 1st September 2014
Quote:
OT: is the new TDR mastering comp a "mk3" of the Feedback Compressor or is it a brand new plugin?
Yes and no. While developing version III, we found out that we're now able to use a slightly different, more flexible and better sounding topology. In short, there's much less "feedback" involved.

Another reason is that we decided to develop two compressors instead of one, each focussing a clearly defined task. This allows us to develop "Version III" as a dedicated mastering compressor, with higher quality and greater control, at the cost of a relatively high CPU load.

The control layout of the mastering compressor is similar to version II, the GE version will offer a nice collection of additional features. In fact, the standard edition is almost equal to version II, except for the new and improved DSP.
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Addict

Here's very interesting quote I've just read (from The Concept, Design, and Implementation of a General Dynamic Parametric Equalizer by Duane K. Wise)

Quote:
Most parametric equalizers implement multiple stages
in series. It is possible to put multiple parametric stages
in parallel, and there are claims that the phase profile of
a parallel parametric equalizer can be advantageous
[17].

[17] George Massenburg, personal communication.
and then,

Quote:
The phases of individual parallel stages
superimpose, and this can cause modulation of the
frequency response due to regions of cancellation or
reinforcement. Since the parameters are static, this is
not necessarily an issue. However, the above system
has a dynamic boost/cut parameter, which can make the
phase-dependent modulation of the frequency response
dynamic as well. It is sensible, then, to require that
multiple dynamic parametric stages be implemented in
series.
By the way, when using this plugin I never heard obvious phase modulation mentioned. Maybe sometimes I hear like a tiny bit of stereo chorus added to transients but it doesn't sound bad, it adds nice 3D feeling. Maybe it's due to the nature of compressor used in this plugin (it's RMS based), maybe there're some another reasons...
Old 1st September 2014
Gear Addict

By the way, I've just found a bug in v1.0.3. Auto-gain 0dB indication (horizontal black line) doesn't work. I'll fix it...
Old 2nd September 2014
Lives for gear

Best developer 2014 - Vladg Sound. I vote.

I'm using everything Vlad made since the beginning, never seen such a great sounding and powerful devices. Now i have complete "channelstrip" by Vlad, i can not wish for more.
Old 15th September 2014
Lives for gear

really sick EQ! thanks guys.

I'll put in a vote for vst 3 sidechain feature.

/cheers
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search