The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Retro Instruments OP-6 - Portable Microphone Amplifier Single-Channel Preamps
Old 25th July 2014
News Desk Editor

Hardware Retro Instruments OP-6 - Portable Microphone Amplifier

Retro Instruments, Inc., a company that specializes in boutique pro audio equipment, announces the debut of its first new product in three years: the.

The RCA OP-6 has been the behind-the-scenes ‘Holy Grail’ tube preamplifier for ribbon microphones for well over 60 years. Its almost endless headroom and gain are legendary, as is the extremely thick, rich
tone imparted by its unique design. The OP-6 was used on some of the greatest recordings of the past, and many of these coveted units are still in use today. Unfortunately, these days originals are hard to find,very expensive, and mostly don’t perform to the technical specification they once did.

The vintage unit’s feature set is also somewhat limited when compared to modern standards. While the preamp sounds just amazing on ribbon mics –or any other microphone type for that matter – with each pairing an adjustment to the input transformer (inside the unit) is required to adapt it to the optimum impedance. Further, some mics require 48 volts, which wasn’t an option on a vintageRCA OP-6, and it’s often hard for a purist to mod an amazing vintage ’50s preamp beyond its original design to accommodate modern convenience.

So what if you could have a new “vintage style” OP-6 in all its glory (and then some)?

A unit that would adapt to several mic impedances (switchable via the front panel using a custom-wound input transformer), offer 48v for the mics that need phantom power, as well as having Mic and Instrument inputs?

Wait no more! All the tone of the original OP-6 and fine detail of this glorious tube mic-preamp have now been recreated by one of the foremost experts in tube design of our time, Phil Moore, bringing this vintage classic kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

Welcome the Retro Instruments OP-6 Portable Microphone Amplifier!

Quote:
“This thing is so good that I wanted the new generation to experience it. I wanted to make a box with a handle that you carry into every studio session; something that doesn’t go in a rack –more of a studio centerpiece.” said Phil, (Retro Instruments founder and product designer).

“We’ve retained the integrity of the original circuitry, size and performance of the RCA OP-6, while adding many new features that will prove invaluable in the modern studio.”
$4200.00 List

$3500.00 MAP
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Instruments OP-6 - Portable Microphone Amplifier-newprod.jpg  

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 5th August 2014 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: updated
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

Looks like and RCA clone...mmmmmmmmmm
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Cool
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Love the jewel colors.... Candy.
Old 25th July 2014
Jai guru deva om

I would just love to officially proclaim our love for Phil @ RETRO in a man on gear or man loves gear kind of way.

War
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Guru

gimme a 660!
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Old 26th July 2014
Possibly an OP6? God, I wish were rich.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydBeretta View Post
Possibly an OP6? God, I wish were rich.
I think this is the right call.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Addict

It says it right above the meter
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Guru

Oh wow I can just see it now, "Retro OP-6" haha, secret hieroglyphs
Old 27th July 2014
Good eye! I'm going to have to raise some serious funds somehow. Anyone want to speculate on the pricing? 2.5 - 3k most likely?
Old 27th July 2014
Wow, as an OP-6 user I'm very curious about this! I wonder how far they went in replicating the unique attenuator and transformer design/build of the original. If they really recreated all that then I bet this puppy will be expensive!
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear
Looks a 500 series module to me
Old 27th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakworx View Post
Wow, as an OP-6 user I'm very curious about this! I wonder how far they went in replicating the unique attenuator and transformer design/build of the original. If they really recreated all that then I bet this puppy will be expensive!
Phil always adds his own ideas to these units, and is known to improve the circuits and build quality. They do use custom parts, for sure. He definitely adds his own manufacturing aesthetic to these things, which I dig a lot. I think its a big value added to the gear.

Its really cool when a company like RETRO can continually improve things but stay faithful the original intention. I am sure this unit will have extremely rugged, modern build quality as well as being extremely well thought out. I bet it will be exactly what customers have come to expect from a high quality RETRO Instrument.

peace
a.j.b
Old 29th July 2014
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

Probably an impossible question to answer but I'm wondering. When a product gets to this point is it typically months until its released on the market or more like 1 year plus?

Im definitly interested!

Steve
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

I wish Phil had a "pay me $200 a month for the remainder of your years and you can have 3 of everything I ever make program".
Old 29th July 2014
Here for the gear

I'm going to have to raise some serious funds somehow.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
I wish Phil had a "pay me $200 a month for the remainder of your years and you can have 3 of everything I ever make program".
RIUP=Retro Instruments Update Plan
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

More info & pics PLEASE!!!
This is like a flippin strip-tease (probably quite an expensive one!)

Could it be done in a 500 series?
Double or triple wide?
3 valves (?), BIG transformers, ~90db of gain?!!
....it would be a very unique & tempting 500 pre!
Was about to sell a redundant 6b (up-sized to a sweet ten last month!) but might hold onto it till I find out more!
Old 29th July 2014
News Desk Editor

It has about 88db of overall gain!
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Addict

Bump...
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
More info & pics PLEASE!!!
This is like a flippin strip-tease (probably quite an expensive one!)

Could it be done in a 500 series?
Double or triple wide?
3 valves (?), BIG transformers, ~90db of gain?!!
....it would be a very unique & tempting 500 pre!
Was about to sell a redundant 6b (up-sized to a sweet ten last month!) but might hold onto it till I find out more!
88 dB of tube gain... I just don't see that happening on +/- 16 Volt power rails. This thing also, looks huge. Also I don't want to speculate too far, but I wouldn't be surprised if a tube rectified power supply was part of the magic of the design, perhaps, you'll find them in some older gear from that era. I'm just guessing that the voltages are very high inside this thing.
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

Bump
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Its really cool when a company like RETRO can continually improve things but stay faithful the original intention.
I wouldn't use the word "improve" because it suggests better. I have a pair of 176s and although they are fantastic, I wouldn't call them an improved UA 176. Just different.

On the right source an OP6 is the best pre I've ever heard. But they are not good on everything (like bright sources) and you can't even plug a dynamic mic without using a pad, let alone a condenser. I don't expect these to sound like the originals but I'm sure they will be great in their own merit, like all of Phil's creations.
Old 4th August 2014
Im not talking about subjective sound, as you infer. I stand by my words completely
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Retro OP-6 Portable Microphone Amplifier

Modesto, CA – August 4, 2014 – Retro Instruments, Inc., a company that specializes in boutique pro audio equipment, announces the debut of its first new product in three years: the.

The RCA OP-6 has been the behind-the-scenes ‘Holy Grail’ tube preamplifier for ribbon microphones for well over 60 years. Its almost endless headroom and gain are legendary, as is the extremely thick, rich
tone imparted by its unique design. The OP-6 was used on some of the greatest recordings of the past, and many of these coveted units are still in use today. Unfortunately, these days originals are hard to find,very expensive, and mostly don’t perform to the technical specification they once did.

The vintage unit’s feature set is also somewhat limited when compared to modern standards. While the preamp sounds just amazing on ribbon mics –or any other microphone type for that matter – with each pairing an adjustment to the input transformer (inside the unit) is required to adapt it to the optimum impedance. Further, some mics require 48 volts, which wasn’t an option on a vintageRCA OP-6, and it’s often hard for a purist to mod an amazing vintage ’50s preamp beyond its original design to accommodate modern convenience.

So what if you could have a new “vintage style” OP-6 in all its glory (and then some)?

A unit that would adapt to several mic impedances (switchable via the front panel using a custom-wound input transformer), offer 48v for the mics that need phantom power, as well as having Mic and Instrument inputs?

Wait no more! All the tone of the original OP-6 and fine detail of this glorious tube mic-preamp have now been recreated by one of the foremost experts in tube design of our time, Phil Moore, bringing this vintage classic kicking and screaming into the 21st century!

Welcome the Retro Instruments OP-6 Portable Microphone Amplifier!

“This thing is so good that I wanted the new generation to experience it. I wanted to make a box with a handle that you carry into every studio session; something that doesn’t go in a rack –more of a studio centerpiece.” said Phil, (Retro Instruments founder and product designer).

“We’ve retained the integrity of the original circuitry, size and performance of the RCA OP-6, while adding many new features that will prove invaluable in the modern studio.”

$4200.00 List

$3500.00 MAP
Attached Thumbnails
Retro Instruments OP-6 - Portable Microphone Amplifier-retroop6black.jpg  
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Wow, cool beans!

Am I silly for wanting this, without ever hearing this, with out ever hearing a original unit? Man what's wrong with me? I'm a lost soul!

Want!

Want two!

Old 5th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
Wow, cool beans!

Am I silly for wanting this, without ever hearing this, with out ever hearing a original unit? Man what's wrong with me? I'm a lost soul!

Want!

Want two!

All joking aside. I don't think that you are. Phil has a bit of a habit of doing things well. Really well.
Old 5th August 2014
Jai guru deva om

Our tech here owned one for years, we are very excited to be getting these in. Congrats to Phil for resurrecting another classic!

War
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search