The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves Introduces StudioRack
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
AFAIK - With possibly the exception of Brainworx (as touted in their Winter Namm "release of soundgrid) - you don't see any because there aren't any - "Can" run 3rd party is what it "Can" do - when the 3rd party are ported to this format...
Please... No more formats! eeeergh
Old 27th July 2014
Jb2
Gear Nut

This might not be the exact thread to place. But I was happily using logic with no recent updates. Except did get sk note sta. then yesterday went to pull up logic project and it crashed due to waveshell problem. Took out sta and still same problem. Disabled passive eq from native seemed to work. To cut it short, I had to go update waves with studio rack. Tech support was quick but sent me like 2 page to do list get studio rack up. First I didn't want it. Plus why should I have to go and remove old shells etc from their update. Shouldn't waves update do it by itself. Idk. Bs
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Has anyone else noticed any Waves plugins missing since installing Studiorack? DeBreath seems to have vanished for me...
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
Has anyone else noticed any Waves plugins missing since installing Studiorack? DeBreath seems to have vanished for me...
On their download page they that what you're experiencing may happen and they offer a solution, I think.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
It looks like the advantages come into play when 1) you have a DAW that doesn't save chains already and 2).
But that is only Cubase as far as i know. These days even FL Studio have top notch chainer..I am sure Slate plugs will be pretty amazing on their own but whole rack concept is here for years now. Waves or Slate doesn't offer anything new here..
Old 28th July 2014
Here for the gear

I guess this is due to the fact that only if the plugin outputs 'digital silence' it is recognised as a" Dynamic Plugin & stop to process
The analog modeld plugins sure dont have a 'digital silence' in there emulation .
Old 28th July 2014
WJW
Here for the gear

SoundGrid Studio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBavygEzvQ
Old 28th July 2014
Here for the gear

Hi,

We know there’s been a lot of interest and questions about the release of the SoundGrid Studio System and we answered some of those directly in this thread: Waves Soundgrid Studio System

However, we wanted to address some specific questions about StudioRack here, beginning with the advantages.

StudioRack can host up to eight plugins which are fully automatable through your DAW. All factory presets and all your personal presets can be loaded into the plugins, and these plugin and setting chains can now be saved.

StudioRack plugin chain presets can be used on almost any DAW. For example, save your presets on Logic and load them later on Cubase. Tweak them on Cubase, save them again and later load on Pro Tools HD and so on.

StudioRack has quick keys for controlling different plugin parameters within your chains whether the plugin's window is visible or not.

The parameters of hosted plugins can be mapped to MIDI controllers, and Pro Tools users can assign their hosted plugin controls to Avid control surfaces.

When used along with a DiGiGrid DLS, StudioRack lets you run plugins in low latency with HD and HDX systems while offloading the processing to a SoundGrid DSP server.

When using StudioRack you run your low latency plugins within the DAW which can later be used for mixing. The eMotion ST mixer runs in the background and doesn’t need to be opened. Here is a video to learn more about the capabilities and different uses of the eMotion ST mixer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Habz4308BQ

Regarding third-party plugins, Plugin Alliance is our first supported third-party plugin manufacturer (as presented at NAMM 2014). Other plugin manufacturers are already in the process of integrating SoundGrid protocol through the Waves Public API (WPAPI).

If you have any other questions please let us know and we’ll try and answer them the best we can. However, the quickest way to get a reply is usually to contact us through social media (links are below). There have also been some helpful people such as our beta testers who are very knowledgeable about the SoundGrid Studio System and we encourage you to seek them out as well.

In the meantime, we also invite you to watch these videos for more information and tips:

http://www.waves.com/studiorack-plugin-chainer-overview
http://www.waves.com/sharing-studior...s-between-daws
http://www.waves.com/record-plugins-...ncy-studiorack
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWBavygEzvQ

All the best,
The Waves Team
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waves Audio Ltd. View Post
Here is a video to learn more about the capabilities and different uses of the eMotion ST mixer: eMotion ST Mixer Quick Tour - YouTube

All the best,
The Waves Team
You spared no expense on the look of the eMotion ST Mixer.
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
...I own Waves plugins and they don't support Dynamic Plug-in in Processing.
This is not true. It is Studio Rack, because of its design to work as an independent host(in whatever DAW), which offloads plugin processing to external hardware, does not. Waves plugins themselves do support DPP...
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Logic X Yes Pro Tools 11 No
Old 29th July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don;t need to watch a video I own Waves plugins and they don't support Dynamic Plug-in in Processing.
And yet the video clearly shows Waves plugins supporting Dynamic Processing...

Alistair
Old 29th July 2014
Quote:
I own Waves plugins and they don't support Dynamic Plug-in Processing.
Quote:
Logic X Yes Pro Tools 11 No
Dynamic Plug-in Processing applies only to native plug-ins.

In Pro Tools 11, enable "Dynamic Plug-in Processing" in the "Playback Engine" settings.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Maniac

Well since it's free I'll give a go, but I don't think it will be of much use for me.
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post

In Pro Tools 11, enable "Dynamic Plug-in Processing" in the "Playback Engine" settings.
Thanks for pointing that out but it still does not make it work for Waves plugins
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out but it still does not make it work for Waves plugins
And yet the video still clearly shows Waves plugins supporting Dynamic Processing...

Alistair
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:

Quote:
Wow! You are absolutely correct! Inserting a Waves plug-in (in Pro Tools 11) immediately allocates CPU resources, regardless of the DPP setting. The CPU allocation remains constant whether audio is being processed or not. In fact, the CPU allocation remains unchanged even after bypassing the plug-in! Thank you for pointing this out!

Tested with Pro Tools 11.2 Native, using Waves V9.3 & V9.7 plug-ins, running under Mac OS X 10.9.4

Last edited by Simon Morrison; 31st July 2014 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Added test specs
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Wow! You are absolutely correct! Inserting a Waves plug-in (in Pro Tools 11) immediately allocates CPU resources, regardless of the DPP setting. The CPU allocation remains constant whether audio is being processed or not. In fact, the CPU allocation remains unchanged even after bypassing the plug-in! Thank you for pointing this out!

Tested with Pro Tools 11.2 Native, using Waves V9.3 & V9.7 plug-ins, running under Mac OS X 10.9.4
So what are the Scheps and ADT plugs doing in your video?

Alistair
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

This impetuous spread of mis-information needs to cease. It doesn't help anyone, and creates more confusion. Waves plugs, while not entirely optimized, DO support DPP. Within Studio Rack THEY DO NOT. And even there, it is apparently NOT supposed to be the case. I spoke with tech support Monday. Got this yesterday:

I'm writing to let you know that I have checked it with our QA dept and it looks like this might be a bug.

In general the dynamic CPU feature in PT11, Cubase, logic etc means that when transport is stop or (in some hosts) there is no region to play and no input to record, the plugin will go off the CPU.

The exceptions are that if a plugin has its own signal generator it will not be taken off the cpu.
Some of analog modelings that have noise “on” fall into this exception.

We will try to fix this in the future.

Another good example of this is ADT, as it has the floating varispeed adjuster...

As stand alone plugins, my experience is, when instantiated(and DPP is active), MOST plugins immediately allocate resources that recede once the transport is rolling IF THERE IS NO AUDIO PASSING THROUGH THEM(see attachment). It may take a second or two for this to happen, but it does happen. Waves plugins are no exception. Now, I did notice this apparent bug: when in bypass, if audio passes, the Waves plug WILL STILL consume power. But this is clearly a bug...
Attached Thumbnails
Waves Introduces StudioRack-dpp-cpu.jpg   Waves Introduces StudioRack-dpp-cpu-bypass.jpg  
Old 31st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
So what are the Scheps and ADT plugs doing in your video?
Reel ADT (V9.3) and Scheps 73 (V9.3) behave exactly the same - they allocate CPU resources immediately, regardless of the DPP setting. They also fail to de-allocate CPU resources when bypassed.

Tested as standalone inserts and also within StudioRack.
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head
I like the idea of the Studio Rack but don't care for the Waves plugins, kinda lame ?....I perfer UAD and softtube....the Slate thing doesn't seem like it's gonna fly?
It would be be great to get it as an empty rig...?
?
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Love the fact you get access to all the GTR effects in Studio Rack. Cheers Waves.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Seems a bit pointless for Logic users (save channel strip n all that……) anything I'm missing?
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Seems a bit pointless for Logic users (save channel strip n all that……) anything I'm missing?
2 things:

1. You can transfer complete channel strips to other DAWs.
2. If you ever get the proper hardware, you can use all the low latency monitoring and CPU offloading capabilities.
Old 2nd August 2014
Here for the gear

Installed fine on my MAC running Pro Tools Native 11.

Only had chance for a very quick play but all Waves PlugIns are showing up fine - though no Avid ones as of yet. Either they are a 3rd party thats coming on board shortly or I need to read / play around a bit more !

Looks like it could be a useful tool though - especially as its free.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckoff View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but; open your mind!

So many new possibilities duckoff. Download it, it's QUACKING.

Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedhouse View Post
Only had chance for a very quick play but all Waves PlugIns are showing up fine - though no Avid ones as of yet. Either they are a 3rd party thats coming on board shortly or I need to read / play around a bit more !
I find it highly unlikely that Avid is going to go out of their way to make their plugins compatible with Waves Studio Rack after Waves passed over Avid's DSP AAX.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter View Post
I find it highly unlikely that Avid is going to go out of their way to make their plugins compatible with Waves Studio Rack after Waves passed over Avid's DSP AAX.
++1

That very thing hit me yesterday, as I was considering one of my plugin chains. No way Avid supports Studio Rack...
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Does V9.3 work in PT11

?
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Head
Waves is obviously trying to one-up Slate for being so slow with their VMR...
But isn't the main gripe with the Slate version that you can't get the plugs
as individuals.....I was never attracted to the rack/strip idea, I was just excited to hear some new really great eq's and comps to mix between and around my favorite UAD...etc..plugs...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search