The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SOR 8 - Distressor emulation Plugin Studio Headphones
Old 23rd July 2014
SOR 8 - Distressor emulation Plugin

Straight from the website:

"Modeled Classic Compressor plugin
Based on acclaimed 8X Compressor..
Gain Reduction meter.
Input control (Relative threshold).
Threshold Controlled Circuitry(-30 to -50 dB).
Ratio switch (1, 2, 4, 8, 20 and NK).
Attack time control (0.05 ms to 4 secs).
Release time control (0.30 ms to 3 secs).
Distortion modes switch (Static Custom C1, Static Custom C2, Odd D1, Even D2).
Output control (0 to 40 dB).
Side-Chain Filter modes Clean(0) HP 80Hz(D), HP 80Hz Audio(A), BE 6kHz(B)
All product names and trademarks are the property of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with Cocell Productions."

Mac OSX
RTAS/AU/VST 32/64bit

Windows XP/7/8
RTAS/VST 32/64-Bit

http://www.cocellproductions.com/
Attached Thumbnails
SOR 8 - Distressor emulation Plugin-image_2364.jpg  
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Joe!

I remember this plugin when the dev started it, gonna give it a try of course, hopefully this time the plugins knobs & feature are more responsive and working well.

Cheers ;-)
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Neither does yours.

Here ya go.

http://www.cocellproductions.com
Old 23rd July 2014
Nice. I remember trying this on a very early beta phase. Will give it another shot asap.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Neither does yours.

Here ya go.

Hhahahahaha thanks ;-)
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Cool, thnx.
I really liked the grainy, gritty sound of the early version on some stuff!
Old 23rd July 2014
Just downloaded it. Testing it on a couple of things and thought it added nice color to a vox and acoustic guitar track. I'm excited to try it out on some other material I'm working on.

Thnxs Pensadia!
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Wasn't crazy about this one. As a long time EL-8 user I feel this isn't even in the ball park. Not saying its useless but definitely not in the same zip code as a distressor
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm sure UAD is working on an official Distressor emulation of some sort, as they're partners with Empirical. As a longtime Distressor lover, I imagine it's really difficult to emulate.

- c
Old 23rd July 2014
Yeah, if it were easy we'd already have it.
Old 23rd July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post
Neither does yours.

Here ya go.

Fixed, thanks.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm sure UAD is working on an official Distressor emulation of some sort, as they're partners with Empirical. As a longtime Distressor lover, I imagine it's really difficult to emulate.

- c
Nowhere near more difficult than their other plugs. The fatso is probably a much harder one to do.
Old 24th July 2014
Has anyone tried this plugin since it's been updated? Wondering how it's working out. I'll gladly sling me more than 1 dollar if I hear good reviews on it.
Old 24th July 2014
The problem is the whole way the thing is be presented.

The plugin doesn't sound "bad" to be honest. It sounds....like it sounds.

Modes C1 and C2 have a low end up bump while other modes rolls off a bit below 100Hz. Some distortion, can do some weird sounding compression. Just like a bunch of other freebies out there - even though there are some actually great sounding ones like the TDR.

Also, annoying volume raise.

Last edited by Diogo C; 24th July 2014 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: Clarity
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
The problem is the whole way the thing is be presented.
Would you care to explain? Just curious by what you mean.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Interesting plug in - are there any presets available for it? Not knowing much about the Distressor itself, some presets to get me in to the ballpark would be useful.
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Would you care to explain? Just curious by what you mean.
The whole Distressor emulation thing.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Guru
Going to check out thanks!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

a digital model
of a compressor
which emulates classic compressors
Old 25th July 2014
TLS
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
From Dave Derr : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community

If it wasn’t for cracks, Dave Derr says, “A Distressor plugin would have been out 10 years ago.”
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Addict

Emulation or not, it really makes drums knock hard! For 1 buck it's a nobrainer.
Old 25th July 2014
I want to grab this plugin, but I'm worried that if I like it, I'll miss it when I fully switch to PT 11. I realize it's only 1 buck or more, but the idea remains the same, even for free plugins. If something turns out to be useful and it's being used a lot, but doesn't have aax compatibility, it bums me out. Maybe we can work out a deal where anyone wanting AAX could donate 5-10 bucks to help code the funding. Even if the main developer doesn't want to do it, it can be outsourced. Greg of Kush Audio outsources his aax ports I believe.
Old 25th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
From Dave Derr : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community

If it wasn’t for cracks, Dave Derr says, “A Distressor plugin would have been out 10 years ago.”
Interesting.

I guess he isn't aware that ilok2 or syncrosoft have not been cracked so far.

More interesting is the part where they talk about a new plugin for 2013...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Interesting.

I guess he isn't aware that ilok2 or syncrosoft have not been cracked so far.

More interesting is the part where they talk about a new plugin for 2013...
Yeah, but Dave Derr probably has enough respect for his customers than to force them to install malware on purpose.
Old 26th July 2014
aaaaaaaaaaand post of the day award goes to............^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 26th July 2014
Tried the free version, not quite sure how I feel about it. The meter is a little whacky and sometimes glitches out and gets stuck at a certain GR... the plugin has to be closed and reopened to alleviate the bug. Also, it feels a bit unpredictable... I would set a fast attack and release for certain things.. things I normally use fast attack and release for... and it just sounded funky. The plugin is definitely not transparent. I'm not referring to tonal transparency... some plugins can give add all kinds of mojo to a track, but the compression itself is still transparent. This plugin adds 'mojo,' and the compression isn't transparent. Not saying that's a bad thing, just not something I'm used to hearing. (I think of Massey CT5 as being super transparent). Also, having the numbers on the knob and the pointer being stationary (vs the knob having a pointer and the numbers being stationary), messes with my eyes, as the knob spins backwards, just a personal issue.

I'll do some more testing before I give my final thoughts on it. I only dabbled with it for 2 mins on a vocal and on a 2 buss.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Yeah, but Dave Derr probably has enough respect for his customers than to force them to install malware on purpose.
...and since when ilok or syncrosoft are malware?
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
...and since when ilok or syncrosoft are malware?
Ever since iLok destroyed my kernel and I was forced to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows to fix it.

Any software that behaves in a malicious manner is malware.

Obviously you're not very familiar with iLok.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Ever since iLok destroyed my kernel and I was forced to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows to fix it.

Any software that behaves in a malicious manner is malware.

Obviously you're not very familiar with iLok.
I guess I'm one of the users who's never had an issue. Been running ilok for 6 years and it hasn't buggered up anything on my end... except when my iLok 1 ran out of licenses and I had to cough up 50 bucks to get an iLok 2, but that was 3-4 years ago.
Old 26th July 2014
Gear Nut

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I guess I'm one of the users who's never had an issue. Been running ilok for 6 years and it hasn't buggered up anything on my end... except when my iLok 1 ran out of licenses and I had to cough up 50 bucks to get an iLok 2, but that was 3-4 years ago.
The Force is strong with this one... heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search