The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SOR 8 - Distressor emulation Plugin Studio Headphones
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
From Dave Derr : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community

If it wasn’t for cracks, Dave Derr says, “A Distressor plugin would have been out 10 years ago.”
Thats relevant for an officially endorsed distressor plugin but that shouldn't be stopping others from making one and calling it something slightly different. I mean they do this with all other hardware. You see it with LA2, LA3, 1176, 1073, SSL, EMI, Fairchild, Pultec, etc...

It is surprising none of the big companies have tackled this plugin. They must feel with a La2 and a 1176 most of what it can do is covered.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Ever since iLok destroyed my kernel and I was forced to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows to fix it.

Any software that behaves in a malicious manner is malware.

Obviously you're not very familiar with iLok.
Fortunately I have only great things to say about iLok. Too bad you can't say the same.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

I have a version of this plugin from about 2 years ago. I liked this plugin, but as was mentioned, the controls were a little whack on it. Sound like not much has changed there. I was hopeful that this was a finely honed piece of machinery when i saw the thread.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
a digital model
of a compressor
which emulates classic compressors
That was weak. It obviously has a distinctive sound of its own. Regardless of the intention when making it.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
Nowhere near more difficult than their other plugs. The fatso is probably a much harder one to do.
What makes you say that?
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
What makes you say that?
Mr. Derr mentions that in the UA promotional video for the Fatso Jr/Sr.
Old 27th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Ever since iLok destroyed my kernel and I was forced to reformat my hard drive and reinstall windows to fix it.
Any software that behaves in a malicious manner is malware.

Obviously you're not very familiar with iLok.
I think it's a bold statement to say that iLok really destroyed your OS Kernel. Unless you are a programmer and investigated the issue, I'm not sure if you can draw this conclusion (sure maybe iLok software made your system unstable or gave errors, but thats different from destroying your kernel which is a whole step further).
Similar that most people call everything a "bug". Not sure if your definition is the "official" definition of malware. By that token, virtually every program could be potential malware because every program could have an unknown bug that might crash your system.

That aside, I'm not a big fan of iLok (use it myself too) either. Theft of software (and its protection) is not the customers responsibility I think. But that's another discussion that should be held in its own topic.

Regarding the plugin, for $1 it would probably do something good. It's probably not a distressor, I don't expect that, but it should be useful for something. No brainer for $1
Old 19th August 2014
Hey I remember when this thing first came out and it was superb, I recently bought this new version for a new system and it doesn't behave or sound at all like the original version of it. If I recall correctly the developer was on here talking about it but to my ears this one sounds drastically different than the one I was using very consistently.
Old 24th August 2014
Bought it a weeks ago and I'm using it in almost al my vocals, best 1$ of my life.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks View Post
I think it's a bold statement to say that iLok really destroyed your OS Kernel. Unless you are a programmer and investigated the issue, I'm not sure if you can draw this conclusion (sure maybe iLok software made your system unstable or gave errors, but thats different from destroying your kernel which is a whole step further).
Similar that most people call everything a "bug". Not sure if your definition is the "official" definition of malware. By that token, virtually every program could be potential malware because every program could have an unknown bug that might crash your system.
Not really a bold statement. It's truth.

At the time I was using GigaStudio, which used to access the kernel directly which was the secret to it's speed. I had just purchased Waves plugins which at the time used iLok. I installed the PACE drivers and the first time I ran GigaStudio after the install, it went nuts.

Eventually, with the help of Tascam, we were able to figure out what happened. As programs don't really access the Kernel (or didn't at that time) PACE felt that any program accessing the Kernel was obviously an attempt to circumvent the PACE program. PACE lodged itself in the Kernel and basically insisted that no other program needed to access the Kernel unless it was trying to bypass the protection.

Pretty arrogant way for a program to behave. Even for one as horrible as PACE.

Anyway, I decided to get rid of the Waves plugins and sadly PACE wrapped itself in the Kernel like an octopus clinging to dinner and so there was no way to uninstall it without damaging the kernel. Trust me, I went through a ton of scenarios with the Tascam people and in the end, I did try to unistall it and my computer would no longer boot and I had to reformat and reinstall the OS.

It was enough that the Tascam people were appalled at how the PACE drivers acted.

In my experience, yes, Pace is Malware. It maliciously attacked my Kernel.

I get it - some companies have so little respect for their customers that they insist their customers install malware to use their programs but I'm not that stupid - I only had to install the PACE virus once to learn my lesson. Never again.
Old 24th August 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by santibanks View Post
Theft of software (and its protection) is not the customers responsibility I think.
Wow, I can't believe someone else gets this. Well put.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

I've never been a fan of ilok, at the beginning I had a bunch of problems with it that have since been corrected. That said I fully comprehend why the developers who use it do so, Its the only reliable way to protect their intellectual property. Aside from ilok2 no other system has proven even remotely safe.

The developers who use ilok seem to be doing quite well so you really have to ask yourself (and be honest), If you had intellectual property that cost you a bunch of time and money to develop would you use something that would protect your tools or not?

Santibanks said that theft and protection of the software is the developer's problem and I agree, the only snag is that the ONLY reliable protection system is ilok2. Until such a time as there is an alternative we're kind of stuck with it if we want certain tools (Kush, Slate ect). In my experience ever since they reworked their system(and got past the debacle that was its introduction) the only issue I've had is that every once in a while I have to restart because it won't read. Its a PITA but to me, what I have available thanx to the ilok more than makes up for it

YMMV and all that
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Head

agressive tool, I like it, but where is the old skin and the WET/DRY knob?

Old 8th October 2014
Gear Nut
it may not sound like a "real" distressor, but this plugin rules.

is anyone else on os x pro tools having problems with the paid version resetting ratio/filter/dist when restarting a session, as if it was the free version? it's really driving me nuts. at least the attack/release/input/output don't reset, but still....
Old 10th October 2014
Lives for gear

Gave it a try on a bass line and i really like what i have heard.
Don't know if it sounds like a distressor but for 1$ it sounds as good or beter as any other vst comps i have.

No problems what so ever in Reaper 32bits Windows Xp sp3.
Happy costumer
Old 12th October 2014
Still hate the new one, the old skinned one behaved way differently.
Old 12th October 2014
People cry too much and talk like are paying 300 bucks for this plug in, test it and if you like it pay a buck or 2 ...
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah i kwhippedk this thing out for old time sake and ended up using it on a mix...on the 2buss. It just worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steki View Post
agressive tool, I like it, but where is the old skin and the WET/DRY knob?

This looks like the one i have. It was free though. Can you post a pic with the differentiating skins? Is there a difference? Im a bit confused.

How a version 1 and 2 different besides skins....Maybe i can find that out here i guess.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search