The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AudioThing introduces Valve Exciter DAW Software
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Software AudioThing introduces Valve Exciter - GUI updated, v1.1.0!

Valve Exciter is a Harmonic Enhancer plug-in with vintage valve emulation. The exciter section features hand tuned filters with the ability to sweep the center frequencies via the Harmonics knob. The valve section is modelled after a softer custom version of the vintage Telefunken ECC83 tubes with drive, triode/pentode mode and bias settings.

Details
- Price: €45
- Harmonics Enhancer: Bass and Treble (with Harmonics sweep)
- Valve Emulation with drive
- Preset system with randomizer
- Formats: AU and VST (32/64bit)
- Platforms: OSX, Windows

Video Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHEA0zhLKbo

Audio Demo: https://soundcloud.com/audiothing/sets/valve-exciter

Valve Exciter | AudioThing
Old 16th July 2014
That GUI looks a lot like Uhe's Satin. Same designer maybe?

Product looks cool, will try.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Looks great, but the link to the manual on the product page is dead.

At that price it's tempting, even without a demo...

How is the CPU usage ?
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
That GUI looks a lot like Uhe's Satin. Same designer maybe?

Product looks cool, will try.
Thanks, actually we were inspired by moogerfooger pedals, but I see what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Looks great, but the link to the manual on the product page is dead.

At that price it's tempting, even without a demo...

How is the CPU usage ?
Fixed!
Thanks for the heads up. Link fixed.
A demo will probably be available in a couple of weeks.

On my MacBook (2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM) with Ableton Live it adds 1-5% CPU, with a few spikes when you turn a couple of knobs quickly together. Nothing huge.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Bought it! At first listen I like what it does, seems it gets close to that high end shimmer and low end gloop that real valves can create. Good for making sounds bloom.
But....It really needs an output control as it adds a significant amount of gain very quickly. A constant gain switch would be great too.
Ideally an input gain control would give way more flexibility and allow for a wider range of colours.
By the way, does the meter show RMS output levels?
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for the feedback. We got several suggestions about input/output gain. I'll try to see if I can fit something in the next update, but it may take some time.
The meter shows RMS but it's basically attached to an envelope follower of the output.
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothing View Post
Thanks for the feedback. We got several suggestions about input/output gain. I'll try to see if I can fit something in the next update, but it may take some time.
The meter shows RMS but it's basically attached to an envelope follower of the output.
Thanks. Nice to have a responsive developer here!
Old 18th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyzygis View Post
Thanks. Nice to have a responsive developer here!
Old 18th July 2014
Gear Nut

Purchased, love it!
Output gain control (constant gain even better) is welcome
Old 19th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by axembler View Post
Purchased, love it!
Output gain control (constant gain even better) is welcome
Thanks! We added that feature in our todo list for the next update. It may take some time though, even a few months, as we have a really busy schedule right now.
Old 20th July 2014
Here for the gear

Looks cool, gonna try the demo
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder555666 View Post
Looks cool, gonna try the demo
It will be ready probably next week.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It will be ready probably next week.
Honestly, 6 seconds of silence every 20 seconds makes it unusable to test.

Something like 1 second of silence every 30 seconds would be way better.
Old 21st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj.metissage View Post
Honestly, 6 seconds of silence every 20 seconds makes it unusable to test.

Something like 1 second of silence every 30 seconds would be way better.
I'd rather have fully-functional demo for 15-30 days, but yes, 6 secs every 20 is unusable.
Old 21st July 2014
Lives for gear

I hear you. It's very hard to please everyone while keeping some kind of security/protection for the time (several months) and money spent.
There are a few devs that decided not to release demo at all. As a user I was disappointed but as a developer now I understand why. There are several reasons but this is not the place to discuss it.
I'll try to release the demo probably at the end of next week with 3 sec silence every 30 seconds (and I'll change VF-1 demo accordingly). Seems more reasonable.
Thanks for your patience.
Old 22nd July 2014
Gear Maniac

I chanced across this thread just after viewing the post for UA Culture Vulture, and to be honest, this interests me just as much, maybe more, and the VF-1 is already on my shortlist of plugins I want to purchase. I'm guessing this doesn't go as far as circuit modelling, does it? Also, its great to see independent developers putting this much effort into their customer service. Well done!
Old 22nd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscorbett View Post
I chanced across this thread just after viewing the post for UA Culture Vulture, and to be honest, this interests me just as much, maybe more, and the VF-1 is already on my shortlist of plugins I want to purchase. I'm guessing this doesn't go as far as circuit modelling, does it? Also, its great to see independent developers putting this much effort into their customer service. Well done!
Thanks! Most of the valve DSP code is actually circuit modelling. The rest instead is custom made.

I believe that having a direct contact with customers is a strength for indie devs. Although is way more work than one can expect, it's really rewarding in the end.
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

AgeOfAudio is working on a review of Valve Exciter. Meanwhile you can check their comparison/test of four Exciters here: http://www.ageofaudio.com/en/software/exciter-a-confronto
Demo audio added to our playlist as well.

https://soundcloud.com/ageofaudio/ex...ums-and-rhodes

https://soundcloud.com/ageofaudio/ex...arison-guitars
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I hear you. It's very hard to please everyone while keeping some kind of security/protection for the time (several months) and money spent.
There are a few devs that decided not to release demo at all. As a user I was disappointed but as a developer now I understand why. There are several reasons but this is not the place to discuss it.
I'll try to release the demo probably at the end of next week with 3 sec silence every 30 seconds (and I'll change VF-1 demo accordingly). Seems more reasonable.
Thanks for your patience.
I'm sure you are a smart guy but why on earth would you need 3 seconds of silence? What's the difference with having 3 seconds or 6 seconds or 1 second.. or even just 0.5 seconds.. other than completely destroying the demo experience and pissing off a potential customer? Are you trying to prevent people from "using" the plugin without paying? Cutting out the silence on a render? If that's the case then it makes absolutely NO difference in the length of the silence so you might as well just leave it really short. Or just mix in some brown noise that ramps up for 0.5 seconds and ramps down for 0.5 seconds at a very low level (like -30dBFS). That's already enough to render the plugin "useless" for real work and thus prevents people from abusing the demo.

Either release a solid working demo that actually functions as intended, aka a demonstration of the plugins capabilities and suitability for a production or don't release a demo at all. A bad demo experience only pisses people off and creates a negative vibe on forums that directly hurt sales (many many examples over the years.. see Tone 2 for instance. They used to have ridiculously crippled demos.. there are more recent examples as well).
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Either release a solid working demo that actually functions as intended, aka a demonstration of the plugins capabilities and suitability for a production or don't release a demo at all. A bad demo experience only pisses people off and creates a negative vibe on forums that directly hurt sales (many many examples over the years.. see Tone 2 for instance. They used to have ridiculously crippled demos.. there are more recent examples as well).
It's a E.35,= plugin dude.
(It makes sense the man wants to protect his stuff!)
Old 24th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
It's a E.35,= plugin dude.
(It makes sense the man wants to protect his stuff!)
I don't understand how crippling the demo protects anything.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm sorry if you think that it is not enough to evaluate the plug-in. As I said, it's impossible to please everyone.
I believe that 3 seconds silence every 30 seconds is more than fair to evaluate this kind of plug-in, I'm saying that as a user and not as a developer. I'm also very open to suggestions and feedbacks (I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to implement the output control that many asked), but again, you can't please everyone. I could give all kinds of reasoning for this, but I don't really think this is the right place. I'm also considering to not release any demo at all for future products, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, if everything goes as planned, I'll post the demo tomorrow night.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm sorry if you think that it is not enough to evaluate the plug-in. As I said, it's impossible to please everyone.
I believe that 3 seconds silence every 30 seconds is more than fair to evaluate this kind of plug-in, I'm saying that as a user and not as a developer. I'm also very open to suggestions and feedbacks (I'm still trying to figure out the best solution to implement the output control that many asked), but again, you can't please everyone. I could give all kinds of reasoning for this, but I don't really think this is the right place. I'm also considering to not release any demo at all for future products, but I'm not sure yet.

Anyway, if everything goes as planned, I'll post the demo tomorrow night.
Old 24th July 2014
3 seconds of silence every 30 seconds is OK with me.

Some developers are choosing no-demo which I think is awful regardless of the cost, while some like Klanghelm and Soundtoys are handling free "mini" plugs which is a great model.
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some developers are choosing no-demo which I think is awful regardless of the cost, while some like Klanghelm and Soundtoys are handling free "mini" plugs which is a great model.
Free mini versions is something I'm also considering. Although not completely free, we released Valve Filter CM with Computer Music Magazine 207: ValveFilter CM - Free VST/AU filter and drive plugin | ValveFilter CM | | MusicRadar

Anyway, as promised, demo is now available at the bottom of the product page.
Old 26th July 2014
Quote:
Free mini versions is something I'm also considering. Although not completely free, we released Valve Filter CM with Computer Music Magazine 207: ValveFilter CM - Free VST/AU filter and drive plugin | ValveFilter CM | | MusicRadar

Anyway, as promised, demo is now available at the bottom of the product page.
Thanks for the tip on the CM. Now that I have an iphone I was finally able to justify that purchase and get a bunch of nice freebies - yours included!

On to the demo...
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the CM. Now that I have an iphone I was finally able to justify that purchase and get a bunch of nice freebies - yours included!

On to the demo...
Cool. We are probably going to release more freebies with them in the future
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

I LOVE this little gem! This brings out so much energy and detail if you want to, yet can be subtle too. I bought it!
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

What about AAX ?

G
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbackdoor View Post
I LOVE this little gem! This brings out so much energy and detail if you want to, yet can be subtle too. I bought it!
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
What about AAX ?
The good news is that we just got access to the AAX/RTAS sdk from AVID, but it will take some time to port everything and do the proper beta testing before releasing it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search