The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio DUALISM Equalizer Plugins
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Maniac

You could do it with 2 channels, first channel selects the side you want and LPFs it, the second one recombines with a HPF filtered copy using Dualism sidechain. That way the bass can get mixed back in with loads of control and you can use the phase graphs to watch how well you've recombined the 2 elements. It's a pretty odd use-case, I'm not sure I've encountered the problem being discussed in the wild, usually HPF'ing the sides deals with these sorts of issues but it doesn't seem too hard to solve with an decent EQ and Dualism either.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Dave, how's the protools stereo input 2 workaround coming along. Also am I right to think you mentioned somewhere that you'd eventually have the ability for more than 1 big window for tools?
Old 8th August 2014
Here for the gear

Is everything OK at DMG? I've posted a couple of support requests that have gone unanswered this week so I hope Dave you don't mind me posting them here. Trying to beat the expiration of the Dualism promotion period!

I'm road testing Dualism and have a question or two about the Side>Mid and Mid>Side sliders that doesn't appear to be answered in the manual (or I don't fully comprehend how it all works):

- why do these sliders have such a huge influence on panning? Shouldn't increasing the Side>Mid slider move more of the Side (stereo ) signal into Mid (mono) such that the whole signal would become narrower rather than appear to be panned ?

- what do values to the left of centre do to the signal? If it's the inverse of the right of centre wouldn't that make one of the two sliders redundant?

Also regarding the meters:
- Perhaps I'm confused but the ballistics of the VU meters seem slower than 300ms, and even slower than Bob Katz' 600 ms integration time. Is this expected or an I mistaken?

- and finally, why does there appear to be 30dB headroom in the K20 scale? Likewise more headroom for the other scales?

Cheers
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
Is everything OK at DMG?
Yes thanks!

Quote:
I've posted a couple of support requests that have gone unanswered this week so I hope Dave you don't mind me posting them here. Trying to beat the expiration of the Dualism promotion period!
Top of my mailbox. I'll probably copy+paste this reply to your email to make sure it gets to you

Quote:
I'm road testing Dualism and have a question or two about the Side>Mid and Mid>Side sliders that doesn't appear to be answered in the manual (or I don't fully comprehend how it all works):
Quote:
- why do these sliders have such a huge influence on panning? Shouldn't increasing the Side>Mid slider move more of the Side (stereo ) signal into Mid (mono) such that the whole signal would become narrower rather than appear to be panned ?
It doesn't move, it mixes. What you're describing would be a combination of the Side->Mid and the Width slider. That'd do what you're describing.
However, in order to be able to mix side into mid without losing width, it needs to be the way it is.

To see why it affects panning, imagine a side-only signal, so L=S, R=-S.
The appropriate equations for Side->Mid give you:
L=S+a*S, R=-S+a*S
L=S*(a+1) R=S*(a-1)
And that's very loosely a kind of weird panner.

Quote:
- what do values to the left of centre do to the signal? If it's the inverse of the right of centre wouldn't that make one of the two sliders redundant?
I guess you're figuring that they move the signals around rather than mix them.
What you have there is full control over the stereo matrix.

Quote:
Also regarding the meters:
- Perhaps I'm confused but the ballistics of the VU meters seem slower than 300ms, and even slower than Bob Katz' 600 ms integration time. Is this expected or an I mistaken?
I'll check.

Quote:
- and finally, why does there appear to be 30dB headroom in the K20 scale? Likewise more headroom for the other scales?
Aesthetics, if I'm completely honest. I'm going to revise this section to include tighter implementation to specs (such as colourings and such), but for now (as in all my other plugins), the K scales are just the offset part of the spec.
Old 11th August 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks for your reply Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
It doesn't move, it mixes. What you're describing would be a combination of the Side->Mid and the Width slider. That'd do what you're describing.
However, in order to be able to mix side into mid without losing width, it needs to be the way it is.

To see why it affects panning, imagine a side-only signal, so L=S, R=-S.
The appropriate equations for Side->Mid give you:
L=S+a*S, R=-S+a*S
L=S*(a+1) R=S*(a-1)
And that's very loosely a kind of weird panner.

I guess you're figuring that they move the signals around rather than mix them.
What you have there is full control over the stereo matrix.
I confess to being thoroughly confused. The manual says "Side->Mid allows you to route the Side (stereo information) in the signal into the Mid (mono informa- tion)". Can you give a plain language example of when you'd wish to employ either the S>M slider left or right, or the M>S slider left to right?

Sorry. I just can't quite get my head around it!
Old 11th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was hoping for something a bit more exciting (a DMG saturator please).
A saturator is exciting!?! Every plugin company on the net makes a saturator. Do you think if DMG drops one its going to be insanely different that anything else on the market?Dualism is about as radical as it gets nowadays, but it doesnt seem like anything appeals to you unless it adds an effect to your sound? The masses are always looking for that magic bullet.
Old 11th August 2014
I used the demo in a mastering session yesterday, and I guess I have to give Dave some money. A great tool. HPing the side has never been easier.

r,
j,
Old 13th August 2014
Gear Nut

I slapped my cash down on the assumption I will grow into it and the product will also grow.

Found these useful links for m/s

Creative Mid/Side Processing

M/S Mastery
Old 13th August 2014
Tested it, but I must say it's way too expensive for me for what it does and how many times I'm going to need it.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear

Boughtened.
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Nut

Any New Protools Developments?

Any new updates for the Protools workaround to get a second stereo input?

Dave was working on it, but it seems like there isn't much info at this time.

Maybe he's rolling lots of fixes into one big update?
Old 31st August 2014
Gear Nut

Any news Dave?
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Addict

Two sources on one graph

I'm probably missing something (in fact, I hope I'm missing something). In order to compare two stereo sources on one FFT graph it seems to me that I have to compare the left channels, compare the right channels, or convert both to mono and compare that. Is there a way to compare the average of the left and right, as in NUGEN Visualizer V2 (now in beta)? Or the maximum of left and right? If not, please consider this a feature request. Both views are very useful.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Nut

Looks like there is a new update out. It looks like it may rectify the Protools mono sidechain issue along with many other upgrades.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks for spotting that.

1.02 change log:

- Chromatic tuner.
- Right-clicking "2" opens menu to pick input from another instance.
- Synch mode for scope - synchs redraw to graph time on display.
- Host-bpm-synch for scope - sets display time to match host bpm as 4,2,1 beat.
- Pref to draw scope L->R instead of R->L.
- Pref to draw scope as outline.
- RMS time configurable.
- Hold peaks pref for N Octave.
- Prefs for cursor readouts in note-name and higher precision.
- Alt-drag and Right-drag for pan faders moves them together.
- Refine VU and Nordic PPM times.
- Fix obscure crash with Sequoia.
- Extrawide width adjustment implementation.
- Add pref for Level Meters target calliper colour.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoe1972 View Post
Looks like there is a new update out. It looks like it may rectify the Protools mono sidechain issue along with many other upgrades.
Heya. Just to be super clear about what to expect, you still can't route a stereo signal to a sidechain using ProTools itself. That's a limitation of ProTools, not Dualism.

So, what I've added is a workaround! Now, you just stick a Dualism where you want to grab the signal, and give it a name (like "Source" or "Unmastered"), and then, when you want to AB, you just slap in a Dualism on the A, right-click B and pick the Source/Unmastered instance, and crossfade away!

[Ninja edit: you set names by double clicking the default "Stereo Out" and typing something else in, and pressing enter.]

For technical reasons, you may well find that you need to use the delay to time-align the two signals (that is, after all, what it's there for), since it's not possible to direct a sequencer that it needs to process instance X before instance Y, and one could actually create some impossible scenarios if one could!

Hope that explains!

Dave.
Old 23rd November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Heya. Just to be super clear about what to expect, you still can't route a stereo signal to a sidechain using ProTools itself. That's a limitation of ProTools, not Dualism.

So, what I've added is a workaround! Now, you just stick a Dualism where you want to grab the signal, and give it a name (like "Source" or "Unmastered"), and then, when you want to AB, you just slap in a Dualism on the A, right-click B and pick the Source/Unmastered instance, and crossfade away!

[Ninja edit: you set names by double clicking the default "Stereo Out" and typing something else in, and pressing enter.]

For technical reasons, you may well find that you need to use the delay to time-align the two signals (that is, after all, what it's there for), since it's not possible to direct a sequencer that it needs to process instance X before instance Y, and one could actually create some impossible scenarios if one could!

Hope that explains!

Dave.
Is there any chance of mono instances of Dualism in Pro Tools?
Is this a stupid question?
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
Is there any chance of mono instances of Dualism in Pro Tools?
Is this a stupid question?
Sorry. It's stereo through and through, as a design.

Dave.
Old 25th November 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Dave.
I don't see why stereo only is a problem with this plug in.

But on a tangentially-related issue, why isn't it possible (or is it it possible and I just don't see how) to A/B compare two stereo channels in the analyzer, with a choice between the average of left and right or the maximum of left and right? I can sum each of the inputs to mono and compare the mono signals, but not averages or maximums.

Other analyzers work this way. If I'm missing something, is that "something" that mono sum and average are close enough to the same thing that the difference doesn't matter? I would imagine that they are close but not that close.
Old 25th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichard63 View Post
I don't see why stereo only is a problem with this plug in.

But on a tangentially-related issue, why isn't it possible (or is it it possible and I just don't see how) to A/B compare two stereo channels in the analyzer, with a choice between the average of left and right or the maximum of left and right? I can sum each of the inputs to mono and compare the mono signals, but not averages or maximums.

Other analyzers work this way. If I'm missing something, is that "something" that mono sum and average are close enough to the same thing that the difference doesn't matter? I would imagine that they are close but not that close.
They're generally pretty close, but I expect I'll add peak left/right as a preference at some point soon.

Dave.
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:

Dave.
Its a great idea for mono inserts though.
As a first plugin with Meters for gain staging , HPF LPF, phase ,big fader for automation.
Im really searching for this kind of utility plugin.
Old 4th December 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pali View Post
Its a great idea for mono inserts though.
I agree that there should be a mono version. But its importance is probably DAW-specific. Reaper, for example, makes it easy to use stereo plugins on mono tracks; just route the mono signal to both inputs of the plugin, then ignore the second output. Even in Reaper, though, it would be nice to have a smaller version without the balance, pan, etc., controls that are specific to stereo.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Head

Bug Reports/Requests

Thanks for the first update Dave!

I have two bug reports, two requests, and one question.

Bug Report 1: Within Dualism's Scope, setting the Trigger function to 'Rise' freezes the waveform display; it's not working properly for me. (OSX 10.9.4. Logic Pro X 10.0.7)

Bug Report 2: Within Dualism's Scope; If I set the Sync function to 'On' and then choose one of the Time function's parameters, more often than not my kicks don't line-up on Dualism's beat grid. (OSX 10.9.4. Logic Pro X 10.0.7)

Request 1: Within Dualism's Scope, the Direction function ‘L->R’ does not simply change the direction of how the audio is displayed, it actually flips the image and displays the audio waveform backwards. Is it possible to display the waveform as it should appear, but have it simply go from left to right, instead of right to left? I’m not sure how useful it is for people to see the audio waveform flipped around.

Request 2: Dualism's Bit Scope doesn't seem to discriminate between a 24-bit signal and a 32-bit signal? Can you confirm this?

Question: Izotope Ozone's loudness measurements always seem to be different to Dualisms, yet both plugins must meet the same measurement standard? How/why? Which measurement should be considered more accurate?

Keep up the improvements Dave! YOU'RE AWESOME! I really appreciate the Scope's new Sync mode.

Last edited by Mimieux; 8th December 2014 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: Adding a bug report.
Old 8th December 2014
Gear Head

One more request.

One more request, Dave...

When using the Scope's 'Time' > 'One Beat' function, can you add the ability horizontally zoom-in/zoom-out the waveform, so we can potentially spread a one-beat waveform across the entire display?
Old 22nd May 2017
Will Dualism get an update in the future so it can be resized by pulling on the corner like one can with Equilibrium?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search