The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio DUALISM Equalizer Plugins
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
That is what happens to create M.

Dave.
Doh!

Not to make excuses for being dumb, but I've made this mistake before in thinking about M/S vs. L-C-R (and my limited understanding of ambisonics, for that matter... even though I started using a Calrec Mark III Soundfield mic when they were new [I was a kid, though]).

Carry on... move along... nothing to see here.

These are not the droids you're looking for.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Hey Dave
Is the highpass filter available in Equilibrium?? It sounds super smooth
Also i realised last night that you can spin the spectrographs around - really cool on my retina display.
Is it possible to run a pro mix on 'B' while running my poo mix through 'A' just to get real time feedback?
Cool plug in man
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey,

So... I had this idea... Why not add a menu to "B" that allows you to pick another instance as the 2nd audio source. Then you could A/B by instancing Dualism on two different channels, and using one as the audio feed. I already do this for metering superposition, so why not for the A/B too? Working on it.
Great idea! Almost too obvious haha!

Also, another thing I noticed. When you have Dualism configured such that you can have two scopes in smaller windows on the right hand side, each analyser has to share an instance of a scope.

You can't have two 3d spectrograms with different settings. Change one and the other follows. Seems like it would be more flexible if the analyser instances were independent.

Cheers

Conundra
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Hi there,
really like this plugin a lot !
I was using Insight (see classifieds for this) but never felt really comfortable.
Beeing used to Dave's fantastic work, this feels like home instantly

I could do though with a better readability, especially in the 1/N Octave and the RMS Analyzer. (see pic)

Is there a way to set a zoom level for the Lissajous with low signals ?

And I would like a link-switch (or key modifier) for adjusting both pans at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
DMG Audio DUALISM-dualism.jpg  
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
Hey Dave
Is the highpass filter available in Equilibrium?? It sounds super smooth
Yep, it's just the DMG HPF in EQuilibrium.

Quote:
Also i realised last night that you can spin the spectrographs around - really cool on my retina display.
Is it possible to run a pro mix on 'B' while running my poo mix through 'A' just to get real time feedback?
Cool plug in man
That's the general idea For ProTools you'll need to wait for the "select B" feature. I'll try and get it done next week. For other hosts, route to the 2nd input and you should be set
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
Great idea! Almost too obvious haha!

Also, another thing I noticed. When you have Dualism configured such that you can have two scopes in smaller windows on the right hand side, each analyser has to share an instance of a scope.

You can't have two 3d spectrograms with different settings. Change one and the other follows. Seems like it would be more flexible if the analyser instances were independent.

Cheers

Conundra
It comes down to the balance of how many settings you want, and how you want them to marry up. So, I certainly could give you two entirely independent sets of things, but then you'd have to remember to update the 2nd instance every time you'd changed the first. I could make a list of parameters (analyser rotation?) that were independent, but if I make the whole set independent, you get the old "too many settings" headache again.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
I could do though with a better readability, especially in the 1/N Octave and the RMS Analyzer. (see pic)
Set the "fade" pref to "off".

Quote:
Is there a way to set a zoom level for the Lissajous with low signals ?
Not yet. You want?

Quote:
And I would like a link-switch (or key modifier) for adjusting both pans at the same time.
Haha. I knew I'd forgotten something with those pan faders. Cheers. Will fix.
Link and oppose modifiers, I reckon.

Dave.
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Set the "fade" pref to "off".

Not yet. You want?

Haha. I knew I'd forgotten something with those pan faders. Cheers. Will fix.
Link and oppose modifiers, I reckon.

Dave.
Gimme !
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It comes down to the balance of how many settings you want, and how you want them to marry up. So, I certainly could give you two entirely independent sets of things, but then you'd have to remember to update the 2nd instance every time you'd changed the first. I could make a list of parameters (analyser rotation?) that were independent, but if I make the whole set independent, you get the old "too many settings" headache again.
Yeah, i see your point. I guess if each analyser had up to two separate instances (in keeping with the dualism concept), they could be named I and II.

That way you could select the one you have already configured in either pane and changes are reflected in the same instance. Then if you want another analyser with different settings to the one currently open, then you could select II.

Obviously it would be a shame to overcomplicate the interface, but they needn't clog up the menu. They could be hidden until such time that you want to select the same analyser type from the second pane.

Just a thought anyway

By the way, I noticed that there are no undo buttons in Dualism. I use them all the time in the other DMG plugs when setting and auditioning different settings with the A-H banks. Is there a reason that they weren't deemed useful in Dualism? i kind of miss them!

Cheers

Conundra
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hey,

So... I had this idea...
When monophonizing bass via L+R sum [equiv. to SIDE HPF] things can get complicated if bass is e.g. synth with lot of out-of-phase content. Beacuse some portions of spectrum will cancel out.
Now why not monophonize bass by taking either L or R only and putting it into MID?
Old 25th July 2014
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sempoo View Post
Hey,

So... I had this idea...
When monophonizing bass via L+R sum [equiv. to SIDE HPF] things can get complicated if bass is e.g. synth with lot of out-of-phase content. Beacuse some portions of spectrum will cancel out.
Now why not monophonize bass by taking either L or R only and putting it into MID?
I agree, good idea!

Marc
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey,

So... I had this idea...
It's a possibility, though not with Dualism as it stands given only a stereo render to master.

I'd probably argue that if the bass is that out of phase, it should go back to the mix engineer, who can easily fix it with Dualism on the bass channel and either using balance to kill one channel, followed by pan to put it back center, or using the Mid->Side and Side->Mid controls.

Dave.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

I mix in mono, do I need this plug in? Help!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

I think the normal answer is....

You are on gearslutz. You need everything!
Old 26th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
I mix in mono, do I need this plug in? Help!
Monoism?

A single channel version less the stereo functions could be useful for the faders, metering and analysis, but...

I've been playing around with L-C-R (as mentioned in my previous summing faux pas) on and off for some time, although as an intermediate print stage that ultimately (so far) gets "folded down" to stereo: tracks -> buses/stems -> L-C-R -> stereo.

It's no doubt kind of like surround channel-wise, but I'm monitoring in stereo currently... even more surround-like split further with dry-only L-C-R (front) and an additional L-R (rear) for reverbs.

They're really just buses that I use as "layers," though.

Anyway, I can see using Dualism at the stereo "flattening" stage and maybe for stereo track/bus/layers (though I really don't do much, if any, M/S manipulation or intermediate/non-hard panning, for that matter).

So, a Monoism could be handy for mono channels and the "center" bus, in my case.

Although, you and I (and Phil Spector*) might be the only customers... maybe just me and Phil if you're pulling our legs.

*I wonder if he gets to mix in prison?
Old 27th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'd probably argue that if the bass is that out of phase, it should go back to the mix engineer, who can easily fix it with Dualism on the bass channel and either using balance to kill one channel, followed by pan to put it back center, or using the Mid->Side and Side->Mid controls.Dave.
1. more often than sometimes there is no possibility to go back
2. it is not only about bass channel
3. simplest solutions are the best ones
4. afaik no plugin offers monophonizing via taking only one channel
5. cheers
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Head

Feature requests

Quote:
...And best of all if there's something you feel is missing, we'll be adding it.

We set out to make the definitive platform for stereo manipulation and analysis.

NOTHING WILL STOP US!
Hi Dave,

I have several feature requests.

General GUI:

1. Can you include an option to have only one window displaying in the plugin at any one time (yes, excluding the stereo widening tools etc.)?

2. Can you give a user the ability to change the dimensions of the plugin window?

3. In FFT graphs etc., can the cursor indicate musical notes, and cents above or below the musical notes?

4. In FFT graphs etc., can the cursor indicate dBs in 0.1 steps?

For the oscilloscope:

1. Can you include an option to stream the waveform from right-to-left?

2. Can you include an option to view the waveform as an outline only?

3. Can you include an option to view the waveform as a series of frames, instead of one continuous stream. By this I mean that the oscilloscope draws say 3 secs of the waveform from left-to-right (or right-to-left) in the viewing window, and then once that 3 seconds has been drawn the oscilloscope then goes back to the left (or right) and begins overwriting the previous image with the next 3 seconds of waveform. For me, it is far easier to look at a static waveform than a continuously moving waveform. Refer to the bottom oscilloscope at 3m 54s in this video to better understand what I mean (the S(M)exoscope:

4. In fact, another great feature of the s(M)exoscope that I was referring to in the video that I've posted above is a 'Retrigger Threshold' function. Basically, when this parameter's value is set to its maximum setting (and the oscilloscope is set to rising), a looped waveform will simply appear to the viewer as what seems to be a static image. However, when you affect that looped audio with, say, a compressor, you'll see the waveform subtly change with each subtle change in the compressor settings (even though the rest of the waveform still appears static). This is a ridiculously handy feature for soooo many different tasks! If you need me to further clarify what I mean, I can quickly through together a screen capture video for you.

5. This is more of a bug report: the rising mode in the demo doesn't work in Logic Pro X or Logic Pro 9 (OSX 10.9.4).

For the 1/N Octave:

1. Can you include a visual indication or maximum peaks (and include a hold time of infinity so that the maximum peak hold values can only be pushed up when a frequency exceeds the previous maximum peak value).

For ... *drum roll* ... EQuilibrium :

1. HOW LONG UNTIL THE FABLED AUTO-GAIN FEATURE IS IMPLEMENTED IN AN UPDATE!?!?!?!

THE TDR/VOS Slick EQ's auto-gain function is the most f*#K!ng GREAT feature added to digital EQ for a looooong time. I'm making amazing progress in very little time when EQing!!!

--------

Keep doing what you're doing! DMG ROCKS!

--------
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

General GUI:

No, no, yes, yes.

For the oscilloscope:

Yes, sometimes, yes, for free with the last yes, really?

For the 1/N Octave:

Yes.

For ... *drum roll* ... EQuilibrium :

I need a holiday. Really soon.
(Edit: I made the mistake of visiting some cracks website and reading the comments there. It's worse than youtube comments. Need time to restore my faith in humanity.)

Keep doing what you're doing! DMG ROCKS!

Thanks!

Dave.
Old 28th July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
For the oscilloscope:

Yes, sometimes, yes, for free with the last yes, really?
"for free with the last yes" -> does this mean that you can recreate this in Dualism but only under free mode, not rising mode?

"Really" -> Yup, the oscilloscope is actually quite buggy for me in both LPX and LP9

Why visit crack websites to read the comments? Another source of feedback?
Old 28th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimieux View Post
"for free with the last yes" -> does this mean that you can recreate this in Dualism but only under free mode, not rising mode?
What it means is that that feature would be automatically implemented by implementing the previous feature.

Quote:
"Really" -> Yup, the oscilloscope is actually quite buggy for me in both LPX and LP9
I'll investigate. I actually find the current trigger behaviour quite annoying. I think I'll rework it.

Quote:
Why visit crack websites to read the comments? Another source of feedback?
By mistake. Absent minded googling.

May I offer to any creator the advice that visiting websites that offer your work to pirates is an extremely unpleasant experience, and one to keenly avoid.

Dave.
Old 29th July 2014
Lives for gear

Oh is it like seeing someone ride with your bike on the street and you have no way to catch them? Yup know the feeling. Petty thieves.
Old 29th July 2014
Still no reviews on youtube, will be great to have an in deep analisys of this plugin ( but please, not from Pro Tools Expert ... useless youtube channel).
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Head

Morning/Afternoon/Evening Dave,

- I noticed the RMS reading in the loudness meter has a fairly long integration time. Is there any chance of adding an option to change the integration time?

- I'm assuming there is some kind of justification for the current RMS integration time?

- Using a 1 khz sine wave peaking at -5 dB, Ozone 5's momentary and short-term readings are -5, whereas Dualism's are -4.8. Any idea why there is a difference?

Last edited by Mimieux; 30th July 2014 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Additional question added.
Old 30th July 2014
Gear Nut

What I think what will be most useful to most people is A/B'ing their tracks to reference tracks while watching the meters.

Is there a chance you are going to expand this side of the product? What I would like is to store say 20 reference tracks in a DMG dualism reference source folder and then be able to select one direct from the dualism interface.

A bit like this https://www.samplemagic.com/details/184/magic-ab
Old 31st July 2014
Dave,

I've been demoing this for a couple of days and really like what I see and hear. This is a lovely, comprehensive tool. One question: I could of course very easily do this in Equilibrium, but have you planned on adding more filter topologies, if nothing else, then at least an LP (and a notch)? I could see myself using Dualism on a bus and using an LP on the side to narrow/tame a drum kit (ie. hats and shakers) for instance.

As I said, this is probably in the domain of an EQ, but it would be so [insert expletive] convenient to have it in Dualism

Cheers,
j,
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
Dave,

I've been demoing this for a couple of days and really like what I see and hear. This is a lovely, comprehensive tool. One question: I could of course very easily do this in Equilibrium, but have you planned on adding more filter topologies, if nothing else, then at least an LP (and a notch)? I could see myself using Dualism on a bus and using an LP on the side to narrow/tame a drum kit (ie. hats and shakers) for instance.

As I said, this is probably in the domain of an EQ, but it would be so [insert expletive] convenient to have it in Dualism

Cheers,
j,
You could have Dualism check to see if Equilibrium is installed and if so then that optionally switches on some advanced eq options within dualism? eg a mini Equilibrium eq in one of the Dualism windows?
Old 31st July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey,

So... I had this idea...
Here is what the brainworx mono maker does:

Quote:
Mono Maker

The Mono Maker will mono out the bass frequencies of your stereo mix, adjustable from 20 Hz up to 22 kHz, using M/S-technique even when the bx runs in L/R-mode.

The Mono-Maker will cut off bass-frequencies of the Side-Signal (S-channel) and will compensate this automatically in the Mid-Section (M) of the stereo mix with a dedicated shelving EQ in the mono-sum.
Although I'm still a bit confused re: how to replicate this with dualism. How exactly is this compensated in the mid-section?

Quite frankly it's just easier to keep using brainworx plugins for this. Click a button turn a knob to set a frequency.

I love how deep the DMG Audio plugins go, but I am often stumped by the complexity. It's my own shortcoming, I know.
Old 31st July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
Here is what the brainworx mono maker does:

Although I'm still a bit confused re: how to replicate this with dualism. How exactly is this compensated in the mid-section?

Quite frankly it's just easier to keep using brainworx plugins for this. Click a button turn a knob to set a frequency.

I love how deep the DMG Audio plugins go, but I am often stumped by the complexity. It's my own shortcoming, I know.
Well, bx simply cuts SIDE bass and leaves MID bass. That is not what I am thinking about: because if one e.g use 100% out-of-phase bass - it will dissapear to zero while monophonizing this way. To prevent this, we need to take ONLY L or R channel and transfer it to MID.
Please do not forget, that such tools are used not only in music mixing, but also in video postproduction - and there such problems are not that uncommon.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, bx simply cuts SIDE bass and leaves MID bass. That is not what I am thinking about: because if one e.g use 100% out-of-phase bass - it will dissapear to zero while monophonizing this way. To prevent this, we need to take ONLY L or R channel and transfer it to MID.
Please do not forget, that such tools are used not only in music mixing, but also in video postproduction - and there such problems are not that uncommon.
You could also do it by flipping the phase of one side before folding it down to mono (right ?)
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You could also do it by flipping (or rotating) the phase of one side before folding it down to mono (right ?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search