The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio DUALISM Equalizer Plugins
Old 22nd July 2014
  #91
Lives for gear
 
nickelironsteel's Avatar
 

Ill buy it to support daves company

Id really love a emulation of the ssl's stereo channel superwide

And i hope we see other eq emulations soon in equilibrium

Vog
1066/73/84
Quad eight 444
Meq
Old 22nd July 2014
  #92
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
This will be my last post on this subject.

Until you're able to provide examples of what you mean, or describe to others what you believe you see, you will just come across as patronising.

Make a point and illustrate it, or don't, but as you know, what you think you see, others do not, myself included. It puts you in the position of shaking your fists at imaginary objects, and deriding me because of them.

Obviously I am here to take criticism - that's how I'm able to improve, but until you can structure your comments in a way that others can understand, your criticism remains merely insult.

TL;DR: Make a point we can understand.

Dave.
Insults ? are you serious ? PM only one exemple of an insult i said ..... one exemple ...

I respect other people point of view , i demand the same respect ..nothing less noting more .... i see stuff that other don't see , it's ok , maybe i'm wrong , maybe not ...but respect the fact that i MIGHT not see what other people see or want me to see ....

Back to the SOUND and concept ....
Old 22nd July 2014
  #93
Obviously just trolling. That's what the superb GS "Ignore" function is for!
Old 22nd July 2014
  #94
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
So easy ...so if i say <removed by mod>

an expected statement on a thread about an audio analyzer!!!


I've been demoing this for a while - it seems very cool indeed.

Dave, would it be possible to add a curser frequency readout to the spectrographs? Like there is on the FFT?

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 23rd July 2014 at 08:37 PM..
Old 22nd July 2014
  #95
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Possibly the most ironic post in the history of GS!
I know, right?

"I will bring you down to my level and dazzle you with confusion"

- Jeezo the plug-in love, knowledge and bizness guy

Also, notice no comment as to whether he's actually ever used any of Dave's (and KO's) plug-ins.

Anyway.

EDIT: changed "beat" to "dazzle."
Old 22nd July 2014
  #96
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post


[IMG]removed by mod[/IMG]

have fun guyz ...
Consider us warned.

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 23rd July 2014 at 08:38 PM..
Old 22nd July 2014
  #97
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
I know, right?

"I will bring you down to my level and dazzle you with confusion"

- Jeezo the plug-in love, knowledge and bizness guy

Also, notice no comment as to whether he's actually ever used any of Dave's (and KO's) plug-ins.

Anyway.

EDIT: changed "beat" to "dazzle."
Equality since day one ..... tried it , it was exellent ...
Old 22nd July 2014
  #98
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr XY View Post
an expected statement on a thread about an audio analyzer!!!


I've been demoing this for a while - it seems very cool indeed.

Dave, would it be possible to add a curser frequency readout to the spectrographs? Like there is on the FFT?
yep a post arguying with cars and wheels makes more sens ...
Old 22nd July 2014
  #99
Lives for gear
Have you "pro" guys got no work?? What the hell has happened to this forum when grown men/woman waste everybodies time bickering about rubbish??
I wanted to get a deeper understanding of this plug in from people who might understand it, but all im reading is kindergarden BS. Come on please.
How do you get the most out of this plug in?
Old 22nd July 2014
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicmacd View Post
Have you "pro" guys got no work?? What the hell has happened to this forum when grown men/woman waste everybodies time bickering about rubbish??
I wanted to get a deeper understanding of this plug in from people who might understand it, but all im reading is kindergarden BS. Come on please.
How do you get the most out of this plug in?
My faves:
1. Top of a channel to trim off, HPF, fix stereo position.
2. Bottom of channel, just the output stage as automation fader (or the left fader if you prefer to ride linear)
3. Output buss for final stereo tweaks, monitor control and I'll generally leave some analysis running.

Dave.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #101
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak View Post
You would be 100% right!

Back on topic ...or less off topic

I will say when I read your first post in this thread it did come across a little as bashing but having seen around GS you don't seem (as much as on can learn over the internet) to be the trolling or bashing kinda guy. It felt like you were accusing DMG of copying even though you didn't actually say it. Let's be honest nobody wants their work/art being labeled or implied as being a copy. Anyways I think some of it is getting jumbled in translation.

Bottom line you're entitled to your opinion. A few have agreed most seem not to but no need for everybody to get crazy over a plugin.
Thks , but for real as some may have noticed or not , i alwayz tried to make it clear even to the dev , that i respect its work and i even find its plugins exellent sound and feature wise ... and tried to be the most "cool" as possible with the dev ...i just asked some friends of mine to chek the thread (mixing engineer and producers) and they're just crying , diying literally ...first they just said that the gui's while not identiclal , presented a simmiliraty in several aspect witch was quite confusing , and second they just were like "wtf" reading the answers and defensive .....

Again i just pointed out some, that everybody that seen it (around me) agreed on : this plugin looks like a Flux ircam design , and Equick like Fabfilter (like crazy .... i remeber having said to a friend using it :" oh fab filter exellent" and he just said , nope Equick ...." lol)
Old 22nd July 2014
  #102
Lives for gear
 
CHAOS's Avatar
 

I was hoping that discussion would finally fall back to sound and use. Alas no.

Maybe someone should start a "Plug-ins and Their Colors" thread? A lot of different guitars have tobacco sunburst but no one is talking about it, but rather the sound and playability of the instrument.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #103
Lives for gear
 

And another thing... If you need ProTools style panners and you're not in ProTools, it's massively useful
Old 22nd July 2014
  #104
Lives for gear
 

Dave, would it be possible to add the curser that gives a frequency readout to the spectrographs? Like there is on the FFT?

Thanks for your great work!
Old 23rd July 2014
  #105
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
My faves:
1. Top of a channel to trim off, HPF, fix stereo position.
2. Bottom of channel, just the output stage as automation fader (or the left fader if you prefer to ride linear)
3. Output buss for final stereo tweaks, monitor control and I'll generally leave some analysis running.

Dave.
Thanks Dave
Old 23rd July 2014
  #106
Lives for gear
 
Conundra's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
So easy ...so if i say <removed by mod>

You fan boy wont allow any remark or critsim , and when i guy try to point out why he does it , we have a peferct exemple of GS Fan boy emotional reaction with the famous "troll " thing ...

I ain't got time for both either (arguing and trolling)

Take care

And sorry for people that wanted a clean thead about plugin sound , i'm out just to respect you guyz

Case close

Mate, you called someone a fool for making a simple and clear analogy as to why common design elements appear in different companies products. That's pretty insulting in anybody's book. At least the guy made a clear and concise point. Something that can't be said for any of your half baked ranting.

Plus bringing up war criminals and antisemitism? Have you heard of Godwin's law? You are skating on pretty thin ice in terms of retaining any credibilty whatsoever.

Dave takes critism just fine, but you are being incoherent and belligerent. Maybe move on or make a plugin from scratch yourself and we'll see if you can do it without borrowing any plugin design conventions. In fact, if you could point us to a few advanced processing/analysis plugins that don't share any similarities with other designs, then that would be interesting. I think you will have a long search.

Sheesh

As to the plugin and tips and tricks? boosting the sides by 110 - 115% and then adding a 6db sloped HPF on the sides at 60hz can help tighten up and enhance the right mix.

Cheers

Conundra

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 23rd July 2014 at 08:43 PM.. Reason: rewording last tip
Old 23rd July 2014
  #107
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
i just asked some friends of mine to chek the thread (mixing engineer and producers) and they're just crying , diying literally ...
If your friends are literally dying you should GO AND HELP THEM INSTEAD OF TALKING NONSENSE ON THE INTERNET! I've never seen anyone make such a ridiculous argument here, then turn to the "some of my friends" defence. Where are your friends now? Probably at home, looking at plugins, "crying". Anyway...

I mastered an album a few days ago and noticed I can solve low freq phase issues faster in this than any other plugin. Stick the phase graph up then yank the side hpf up; it's really nice being able to see the phase getting effected by the filter with that level of precision, great for work on modern electronic basslines than have been chorused. Also, using the FFT on slow decay as a "heat map" is really handy for finding problem frequencies.

For 2 track mastering I think it's pretty supreme, as it replaces 4 or 5 separate plugins and speeds up workflow a lot. The 2 channel input comes into its own when you take the mixes and feed them into 1 channel, then take your masters, feed them into the other - then you've got a constant A/B that you can adjust to the same volume, making it a lot easier to work out whether something is just louder or you've actually made a sonic improvement.

Whilst it wasn't a job I enjoyed or particularly wanted to do, it was the fastest time I've completed such a project in, and I think a lot of that was down to having such detailed tools at the end of the process. I learnt the shortcut for resetting graphs the other night, saved a lot of time too, especially for resetting the medium crest, true peak & RMS. When you're juggling decibels for an album mixdown and trying to get it consistent, this is invaluable. If you're working on the clock the value of this plugin become quickly apparent, it meant that I could be out on a lovely sunny day instead of stuck indoors.

I'd like to make some silly claims about how much time it saved me, but this thread has used all of its silliness allocation already. Cheers Dave, keep giving me days of my life back!
Old 23rd July 2014
  #108
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
boosting the sides by 110 - 115% and then adding a 6db sloped HPF on the sides at 60hz can help tighten up and enhance the right mix.
Indeed, but also it's a really quick way of working out if panning is correct in a mix. Simply set the width to 800% and all problems with the stereo image become exaggerated and immediately apparent! Once I did that I got the client to give me a couple more bounces with some pan changes.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #109
Gear Head
 

I like a lot of the features in this plugin but seems a bit odd that there's no "zero width below" or mono-izer feature like so many other stereo plugins have? I assume this is kind of a follow up to Sonalksis' Stereo Tools and that had one
Old 23rd July 2014
  #110
HPF the Difference channel, voila, mono the bass...
Old 23rd July 2014
  #111
I always thought that Equick was a direct descendent of Pro Q. I own Pro Q. I know Equick upped the ante on options, having more zoom options and bands and whatnot, but still, I always felt they were super closely related in terms of design. Sound? Idk, I only demoed Equick back when it was first released and the version I had had some major bugs I wasn't able to get around. I still respect DMG products, this isn't a slam or anything, just something I noticed.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #112
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermetech Mastering View Post
HPF the Difference channel, voila, mono the bass...
You're right, that's one way to do it and after looking at the stereo tools manual I guess that's how that plugin implemented it. I guess I was just thinking such a robust stereo/mono plugin could do something like Brainworx' Mono Maker, which is not the same thing.

All around this plugin is great though and the meters are fantastic
Old 23rd July 2014
  #113
Check the thread on KVR, Dave or the other dude already gave a good answer to the same question.
Old 23rd July 2014
  #114
Gear Nut
I've been messing around with the Dualism demo and it's been pretty useful. I wish I could leave some of spectograms full-screen on another screen while I work but I guess that's the nature of VST support in some DAWs and not Dualism. It's pretty awesome though.

There are a few bugs that I noticed crash Dualism, and they pretty much all have to do with parameters being out of bounds. For example, typing letters into the HPF slope field, or typing a negative value for Range in 2D Spectograph full-screen mode. I downloaded the demo a few days ago though so these might already be patched. I was only using it in Renoise to test it out, so it might not be a problem in bigger DAWs.
Old 24th July 2014
  #115
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Equality since day one ..... tried it , it was exellent ...
Good deal... I remember recommending that you try equality or equick if equilibrium was too much.

Oops, just noticed you got ghosted... no hard feelings and hope you get to and will come back soon.

OK, regarding Dualism: I think we're going to have to get this, but I sure wish the exchange rate was better (USD/GBP).
Old 24th July 2014
  #116
Lives for gear
 

Hey,

So... I had this idea... Why not add a menu to "B" that allows you to pick another instance as the 2nd audio source. Then you could A/B by instancing Dualism on two different channels, and using one as the audio feed. I already do this for metering superposition, so why not for the A/B too? Working on it.

As for mono-making options, as a rule, mono making +IS+ HPF on the side. The Brainworx one does add 0.5dB of low-shelf boost to the Mid at the same frequency as the Side HPF cutoff... but why?
I think it's alone in this regard, and I'm unaware of any maths that justifies that additional change. It's technically the case that the mono bass signal is COMPLETELY unaffected by HPF on the side (since they're necessarily independent!). I suspect it's a codification of a specific working practice, and it's a force-of-habit thing, rather than anything that can be justified.

If you want to make a signal mono below a certain frequency, you need to HPF the side. Adding additional EQ at the same time might add a little "character", but if that's what you're after it's two clicks in EQuilibrium. If you want a straight forward "mono below", use the Dualism Side HPF.

Dave.
Old 24th July 2014
  #117
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatrossy View Post
I've been messing around with the Dualism demo and it's been pretty useful. I wish I could leave some of spectograms full-screen on another screen while I work but I guess that's the nature of VST support in some DAWs and not Dualism. It's pretty awesome though.

There are a few bugs that I noticed crash Dualism, and they pretty much all have to do with parameters being out of bounds. For example, typing letters into the HPF slope field, or typing a negative value for Range in 2D Spectograph full-screen mode. I downloaded the demo a few days ago though so these might already be patched. I was only using it in Renoise to test it out, so it might not be a problem in bigger DAWs.
Working on both of these. Cheers. It's supposed to be working as you describe, though multiple-monitor support in the real world is proving slightly more fiddly than it was in test!

Dave.
Old 24th July 2014
  #118
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
Hey,

So... I had this idea... Why not add a menu to "B" that allows you to pick another instance as the 2nd audio source. Then you could A/B by instancing Dualism on two different channels, and using one as the audio feed. I already do this for metering superposition, so why not for the A/B too? Working on it.

As for mono-making options, as a rule, mono making +IS+ HPF on the side. The Brainworx one does add 0.5dB of low-shelf boost to the Mid at the same frequency as the Side HPF cutoff... but why?
I think it's alone in this regard, and I'm unaware of any maths that justifies that additional change. It's technically the case that the mono bass signal is COMPLETELY unaffected by HPF on the side (since they're necessarily independent!). I suspect it's a codification of a specific working practice, and it's a force-of-habit thing, rather than anything that can be justified.

If you want to make a signal mono below a certain frequency, you need to HPF the side. Adding additional EQ at the same time might add a little "character", but if that's what you're after it's two clicks in EQuilibrium. If you want a straight forward "mono below", use the Dualism Side HPF.

Dave.
Yes, please add a menu to "B" that allows you to pick another instance as the 2nd audio source.

as for the mono button idea, don't the brain word plugs do this to eliminate a drop in volume just to make the monomaker button kind of simple? Click it and you don't have to adjust anything to get your mix back to where it was. I like this feature a lot.
Old 24th July 2014
  #119
Lives for gear
 

I'm late to the the mono-bass discussion, but what about summing L and R bass to M, rather than lopping-off the bass from S?
Old 24th July 2014
  #120
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
I'm late to the the mono-bass discussion, but what about summing L and R bass to M, rather than lopping-off the bass from S?
That is what happens to create M.

Dave.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump