The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMG Audio DUALISM Equalizer Plugins
Old 21st July 2014
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
no big deal , let the thread go on user experience and sound
Old 21st July 2014
  #62
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Hazard when consecutif several times stops to be an hazard is what i say , and it engage only me !
Jeezo Christo! WTF
Old 21st July 2014
  #63
Lives for gear
 
A Fak's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Well i'm talking all your plugin line ....i ain't gonna start a debate here but , on this particular one i see Flux & Ircam style of GUI obvious , on another i see Fabfilter ect ...and not only GUI sometime , but it's your right and it's not a "bad" constation from me or an accusation , i'm just asking if somebody else have noticed ....

Concept and Gui is one thing , coding and making sounds good is another ...since you make the second very well ....this speaks by itself ....

Seeing those picture , looks like the same plugins line !
I guess I can see the color palette being similar when you post them side by side but never got the feeling of it FLux from this. Not sure what plugin looks like Compassion? I can see Equick and ProQ being similar with the frequency analyzer in the back ground and buttons to control the bands but the knobs, buttons, and layout are pretty different.

A little off topic but in one of the TDR SlickEQ threads someone said they felt it was copying the Sonalksis plugins which just like here I feel is because of the similar color palette.
Old 21st July 2014
  #64
Lives for gear
 
billcarroll's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Color is one thing , "your blue signature" could have been implemented in thousands of interface style , this is too close to be an hazard , of course there's some small diffrence and A CHANCE it is not indetical !!

Hazard when consecutif several times stops to be an hazard is what i say , and it engage only me !
This is the biggest bunch of B.S. I have ever seen on Gearslutz. Just because DMG and Flux they use grey an blue doesn't make the interface similar.

If you think DMG ripped off Flux, then you must think Flux ripped off Cubase. Same color scheme and all
Old 21st July 2014
  #65
Gear Nut
 

Don't see DMG in any way similar to Flux or Fabfilter, and I use their stuff just as much, other than the fact the font size of Compassion routinely drive me nuts once in a while...

Anyone find the wash of blue for on/off odd though? Lit up blue text for everything else makes me confused a whole lot visually. Some distinction of function (particular for mute) would be great.
Old 21st July 2014
  #66
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
This is the biggest bunch of B.S. I have ever seen on Gearslutz. Just because DMG and Flux they use grey an blue doesn't make the interface similar.

If you think DMG ripped off Flux, then you must think Flux ripped off Cubase. Same color scheme and all
I disagree.

You think engage consecutif time hazard on cubase if engage him in flux to DMG consecutif hazard indetical?

How so!

Let us hear your reasoning on that or take it back!

Last edited by polybonk; 21st July 2014 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: spelling not broken enough
Old 21st July 2014
  #67
Gear Maniac
 

Cubase, Studio One, Tracktion, Sonar, Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic : Grey & Blue.

I'm considering engage consecutif time hazard though, hope Dave ponders it!
Old 21st July 2014
  #68
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Excuse me for interrupting your heated GUI color debate, I just wanted to point out that the second input in Protools appears to be only possible in mono, thus making any kind of input1/input2 comparison unavailable in PT.
Old 21st July 2014
  #69
Hey man, could we just stick to the gui debate - I mean really!



PS - this plug seems great, but I would need to be educated on how to interpret the info for it to be useful for me - currently, it's smarter than I am...
Old 21st July 2014
  #70
Gear Head
 
shayneallen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra View Post
Excuse me for interrupting your heated GUI color debate, I just wanted to point out that the second input in Protools appears to be only possible in mono, thus making any kind of input1/input2 comparison unavailable in PT.
yeah…. I'm thinking it shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to set stereo inputs? Dave? I think you're a genius, but so far are giving much more attention to the pissing match over GUI than to this question that is now in it's 3rd or 4th ask?
Old 21st July 2014
  #71
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by traumerei1838 View Post
Jeezo Christo! WTF
I think he kind of has a reputation as a DMG hater (for whatever reasons... FR vs. UK in general, maybe?) and this is just another chapter.

By the way, when I brought up Cracker Jacks (snack food with prizes, such as decoder rings), I didn't realize it could also mean dick or prick.

Regarding GUIs, I think we're just getting to that point with so many plug-ins and hosts, that certain motifs just naturally occur.
Old 21st July 2014
  #72
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneallen View Post
yeah…. I'm thinking it shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to set stereo inputs? Dave? I think you're a genius, but so far are giving much more attention to the pissing match over GUI than to this question that is now in it's 3rd or 4th ask?
Very, very easy in a modular host like Audiomulch, just plug your stereo input 1 into inputs 1 and 2, and your stereo input 2 into inputs 3 and 4. Actually, I'm just assuming that, haven't actually tried!
Old 21st July 2014
  #73
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayneallen View Post
yeah…. I'm thinking it shouldn't be this hard to figure out how to set stereo inputs? Dave? I think you're a genius, but so far are giving much more attention to the pissing match over GUI than to this question that is now in it's 3rd or 4th ask?
In ProTools, you can't. ProTools has never supported more than mono side chains.

However, with PT11, the audio engine has seen a host of upgrades.

So, I can't give you an answer now, but I will be chatting to Avid about it.
Old 21st July 2014
  #74
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by monomaker View Post
...Sonar...
Lol...Dave can copy anyone's look as far as I'm concerned as long as he doesn't copy Sonar's habit of not fixing old bugs, introducing new ones on every update, and making each new version worse than the old one!
Old 21st July 2014
  #75
Gear Head
 
shayneallen's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
In ProTools, you can't. ProTools has never supported more than mono side chains.

However, with PT11, the audio engine has seen a host of upgrades.

So, I can't give you an answer now, but I will be chatting to Avid about it.
Aaaah… well that explains why we couldn't find it. aargh… thats a bummer. Thank you for the answer though, much appreciated!

No way to set it up to monitor direct input from an aux, vs a side chain?

Thanks!
Old 22nd July 2014
  #76
Lives for gear
 
syra's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
In ProTools, you can't. ProTools has never supported more than mono side chains.
Finally some valuable info - although not what I had hoped for.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #77
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
This is the biggest bunch of B.S. I have ever seen on Gearslutz. Just because DMG and Flux they use grey an blue doesn't make the interface similar.

If you think DMG ripped off Flux, then you must think Flux ripped off Cubase. Same color scheme and all
If you read my post carefully and don't get to emotional with it , you understand that i was not talking color !!! i was saying that basically give the same color to 2 painters and they will definitly do some different !!!

So the color is really not the thing here it's the whle thing ....be cool and grab a pepsi ...
Old 22nd July 2014
  #78
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
I think he kind of has a reputation as a DMG hater (for whatever reasons... FR vs. UK in general, maybe?) and this is just another chapter.

By the way, when I brought up Cracker Jacks (snack food with prizes, such as decoder rings), I didn't realize it could also mean dick or prick.

Regarding GUIs, I think we're just getting to that point with so many plug-ins and hosts, that certain motifs just naturally occur.

DMG haters ? lol i introudced its plugins to a lot of my colleague , do you really think i have time to loose for that ?

Fr versus UK ? well i think we have a word champion here lol

"Regarding GUIs, I think we're just getting to that point with so many plug-ins and hosts, that certain motifs just naturally occur"

Maybe but since some succed to create "signature" designs pretty easy ...this is not an argument for me ....
Old 22nd July 2014
  #79
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
DMG haters ? lol i introudced its plugins to a lot of my colleague , do you really think i have time to loose for that ?

Fr versus UK ? well i think we have a word champion here lol

"Regarding GUIs, I think we're just getting to that point with so many plug-ins and hosts, that certain motifs just naturally occur"

Maybe but since some succed to create "signature" designs pretty easy ...this is not an argument for me ....
Right on, although I also remember that all your posts in other DMG threads were negative, and you seem to be continuing that trend here.

I'm just guessing about why that is.

That's good that you are introducing them to your colleagues, though.

Have you ever tried any for yourself?
Old 22nd July 2014
  #80
Lives for gear
 
slammy80's Avatar
 

For what it's worth, I've noted in other DMG threads that they take more than a few design cues from their peers. I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad thing, but it's very obvious to my eye (and apparently others).

I wouldn't think that would affect how it sounds. ...but it does unfortunately shed a negative light on their 'creative' side.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #81
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
For what it's worth, I've noted in other DMG threads that they take more than a few design cues from their peers. I don't know whether that's a good thing or bad thing, but it's very obvious to my eye (and apparently others).
This is all very interesting. Do you think you could give me any examples, so I know what you're referring to?

We spend huge amounts of time on the design (it's the largest part of the job for us), so if there's some aspect of our process we ought to be improving, I'd really appreciate you bringing it to my attention.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #82
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Maybe but since some succed to create "signature" designs pretty easy ...this is not an argument for me ....
Not 100% sure if I'm on the money here, but we do make every reasonable effort to eradicate eccentricity from our designs. We feel it can distract from usability.
But if that's what you're referring to, rest assured it's intentional.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
Not 100% sure if I'm on the money here, but we do make every reasonable effort to eradicate eccentricity from our designs. We feel it can distract from usability.
But if that's what you're referring to, rest assured it's intentional.
I simply point out that the color thing isn't an argument ....take Slate Balck and Soundtoys Black and you immedialtly see that it's far from looking similar ...this was what i was trying to say .....

And to keep things clear , you make great plugins and i validate those without one hesitation to students and friends asking me about it ...

If we can 't make a siple remarque about the fact that i simply found that the plugins looks like other brands one .....it' ok ...didn't knew we're in Fox news ....

Calling me hater (not you Dave) is so unproductive that it reminds me poor minded journalist that whereas discussing arguments , try to discredetate the guy instead : it's so easy ...

I love plugins , i know plugins , and i know what i'm talking about , i know the " plugins bizness" and my only concern is to push users to be "exigent" and not at all forgiving when they pay for some (again not talking for you Dave , but in general ,concerning when i stand up in threads looking like a "hater")

So at the end Dave make top class plugins code and the fact that gui's and design sometime looks similar to other take off sometime the quality of the perception we could have of its work if he had a really "boutique" approch (witch maybe IS the case but not perceived IN MY CASE )

Danke
Old 22nd July 2014
  #84
Lives for gear
 
polybonk's Avatar
Most cars have 4 wheels and a boot and a hood. Damn!

Thats all I can think about this whole copying other plugins thing.

Like minds will come to like conclusions when functionality meets design.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Conundra's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I simply point out that the color thing isn't an argument ....take Slate Balck and Soundtoys Black and you immedialtly see that it's far from looking similar ...this was what i was trying to say .....
Come on though, black is a neutral tone and can hardly be considered a colour in the sense you are talking about (branding).

Sometimes design conventions will crop up in many different companies designs because they are efficient and make sense. You don't make a square wheel just to stand out from the crowd.

UBK has some great plugins but the interface of the last one is hideous from both a functional and aesthetic perspective. Original? Yes. Good? No.

DMG and the other companies you mention are perhaps more similar because they are using a form follows function approach to their interfaces and not attempting to recreate a hardware box on screen. If you are going to start complaing about forward thinking companies like DMG copying other companies design approaches then you must be furious about the countless companies churning out SSL/Neve/LA2A clones!

Cheers

Conundra
Old 22nd July 2014
  #86
181483
Guest
Enough of this color and design bickering nonsense. Let it go. DMG plugins could look like a block of derby cheese that smells like époisses and I could really give rat's ass.

They are beautiful, amazingly powerful tools that are a dream come true in these fabulous digital times we live in.

Let's move on please...
Old 22nd July 2014
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundra View Post
Come on though, black is a neutral tone and can hardly be considered a colour in the sense you are talking about (branding).

Sometimes design conventions will crop up in many different companies designs because they are efficient and make sense. You don't make a square wheel just to stand out from the crowd.

UBK has some great plugins but the interface of the last one is hideous from both a functional and aesthetic perspective. Original? Yes. Good? No.

DMG and the other companies you mention are perhaps more similar because they are using a form follows function approach to their interfaces and not attempting to recreate a hardware box on screen. If you are going to start complaing about forward thinking companies like DMG copying other companies design approaches then you must be furious about the countless companies churning out SSL/Neve/LA2A clones!

Cheers

Conundra
Interesting and partially exact ..

About the clones , well , it's CLONES .....and and dev doing clones benefit from the HW orginal designers (sonically and design wise) witch is a big part of the intreset of having clone ...

So when i see Dev not going clones or vastly improves the original HW with new layout or features , it's always welcome and higly valuable !!

Dev that starts from scratch are whom i respect the most since it's really a tuff task !! ..... some succed at doing it ...some need inspiration ....
Old 22nd July 2014
  #88
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Dev that starts from scratch are whom i respect the most since it's really a tuff task !! ..... some succed at doing it ...some need inspiration ....
This will be my last post on this subject.

Until you're able to provide examples of what you mean, or describe to others what you believe you see, you will just come across as patronising.

Make a point and illustrate it, or don't, but as you know, what you think you see, others do not, myself included. It puts you in the position of shaking your fists at imaginary objects, and deriding me because of them.

Obviously I am here to take criticism - that's how I'm able to improve, but until you can structure your comments in a way that others can understand, your criticism remains merely insult.

TL;DR: Make a point we can understand.

Dave.
Old 22nd July 2014
  #89
Lives for gear
 
Ol' Betsey's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by polybonk View Post
I disagree.

You think engage consecutif time hazard on cubase if engage him in flux to DMG consecutif hazard indetical?

How so!

Let us hear your reasoning on that or take it back!
Old 22nd July 2014
  #90
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post


[IMG]removed by mod[/IMG]


have fun guyz ...
Possibly the most ironic post in the history of GS!

Last edited by Grahamdwc; 23rd July 2014 at 08:35 PM..
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump