The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal audio releases Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in DAW Software
Old 8th July 2014
News Desk Editor

Software Universal audio releases Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in

The Valley People Dyna-mite Plug-In is an exacting emulation of the classic limiter/expander/gate designed by the legendary Paul Buff, who founded the historic PAL studio in southern California.

The Dyna-mite has enjoyed a fanatical cult following for over three decades and is considered a “secret weapon” by top engineers and producers. Although it can be used as a traditional limiter or expander, the Dyna-mite is also a creative tool capable of extreme, yet musical effects on a variety of sound sources.

The Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in offers the exact features and sonics of the famed hardware unit and can transform instruments with dynamic gating textures. It can be used for nearly anything from gently limiting and de-essing vocals, to demolishing the transients of any sound.

Key Features:
  • An exacting emulation of the original legendary 80s dynamics processor
  • Use it to limit, expand, gate or de-ess, with a wide range of uses
  • Limiter goes from abusively squashing to transient-enhancing spikiness
  • Expander/gate goes from strict and tight to subtly expanding by softening the soft sounds and bringing the louder sounds forward

Link : Valley People Dyna-mite™ Plug-In
Attached Thumbnails
Universal audio releases Valley People Dyna-mite plug-in-dyna-mite-gui-hq.jpg  

Last edited by The Press Desk; 31st July 2014 at 02:49 PM..
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

UAD is gonna become so overbloated with EQ / Compressors... kind of already is...
Old 9th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
UAD is gonna become so overbloated with EQ / Compressors... kind of already is...
I totally understand but look at the positives: They are peerless with classic hardware EQ and compressor modeling and who doesn't want variety?

I just wish they would hook up with lesser known companies with amazing products like InnerTUBE Audio, Buzz Audio, Daking, Electrodyne, etc.; model more tape machines; and get into hardware synthesizers, modeling their whole signal path.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

so, these UAD ported versions, they don't sound different to their native counterparts do they? I'm no longer a UAD user so I have no way of comparing.
Old 9th July 2014
Lives for gear

TranscendingM,

I don't know these current ports, but some of the first ones were supposed to actually phase cancel with their native counterparts, so I'm guessing that's the ideal goal with these as well. I'm pretty sure I tried it back when the Vitalizer came out.

Take Care
Old 11th July 2014
Gear Head

While its certainly not for everything the Dyna-mite is amazing when it works. A bit of a hard nut to crack but absolutely oozes character!

Don't think I'd buy this on uad (I own the native version) but definitely one of my faves!
Old 11th July 2014
Lives for gear
The Softube native version of this is hands-down
one of the best plugin compressor ever made, period.
And the best analog-like gate ever, no contest
You can crush a drum to oblivion or you can suck all
the room out and make it so damnn tight in the most musical way
I've ever heard. And it has a lovely color when you push the out too
Softube just nailed this so good
And is a lot more versatile that people think, it just has a longer
learning curve than others. I use it on vocals and bass as much
as I do on drums
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear

I mainly use it as a Gate .... pure beauty
Old 13th July 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I mainly use it as a Gate .... pure beauty
Do yourself a favor and smash some drum bus in parallel with this one..
Old 14th July 2014
Been playing with the demo on some mixes all day. It's pretty rad. Really nice gate; first plugin gate I've used that has an "analog vibe". Limiter is fun. Responds about as unpredictably as the hardware Dynamites I've used.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
Do yourself a favor and smash some drum bus in parallel with this one..
i did but i'm not messing with a lot of acoustics drums lately , witch is when the Parallel comp makes wonder
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrotto View Post
Been playing with the demo on some mixes all day. It's pretty rad. Really nice gate; first plugin gate I've used that has an "analog vibe". Limiter is fun. Responds about as unpredictably as the hardware Dynamites I've used.
Have you tried the Vision's gate?
Old 14th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
Yes, I have, as well as the UAD SSL gate. Both are good, but there's something "familiar" (for lack of a better word) about the Dynamite gate. Funny thing is, I've long advocated plugins as superior for gating (and generally, still feel the same way), but every now and then I want for a gate with some "flavor", and this plug seems to deliver.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post
so, these UAD ported versions, they don't sound different to their native counterparts do they? I'm no longer a UAD user so I have no way of comparing.
yes they do! They sound very different. I've noticed native version bringing way to much breathing noise when heavily compressing vocals. Uad handle things a bit better among other things.

Is you want to convince yourself that native is equal go ahead. I was wishing to sell off my Uad as I have most of the native verions, but there's a big difference and I can't sell my Uad stuff.

But yes the posted versions sound the same.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post
yes they do! They sound very different. I've noticed native version bringing way to much breathing noise when heavily compressing vocals. Uad handle things a bit better among other things.

Is you want to convince yourself that native is equal go ahead. I was wishing to sell off my Uad as I have most of the native verions, but there's a big difference and I can't sell my Uad stuff.

I don't want to convince myself of anything

If you could post files of native vs. uad, that would be great.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by classictunz View Post

The difference between native and UAD is not audible. Not in my Cubase project in 24bit/44.1kHz at least.

What is funny is that native and UAD do not null, in case people are wondering. This probably will convince people that the UAD version must be superior. However, try doing the same null test with two of the same version and you will find out that it - again - does not null. I guess it has to be because of something random happening in the noise/harmonics/saturation or something, making it impossible to null against each other.

I did a null test (24bit/44.1kHz project) with the native Tonelux Tilt and the UAD port of the same plugin. The result was total complete silence. It's not possible to hear a difference between the plugins when it shows complete silence during a null test between them.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mark View Post
I wish UAD would split that apart from the channel strip. The hardware 235L is the fastest hardware gate/expander that I've ever used.

The Dyna-mite is entirely different and wonderful in many ways.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtrax View Post
The difference between native and UAD is not audible. Not in my Cubase project in 24bit/44.1kHz at least.

What is funny is that native and UAD do not null, in case people are wondering. This probably will convince people that the UAD version must be superior. However, try doing the same null test with two of the same version and you will find out that it - again - does not null. I guess it has to be because of something random happening in the noise/harmonics/saturation or something, making it impossible to null against each other.

I did a null test (24bit/44.1kHz project) with the native Tonelux Tilt and the UAD port of the same plugin. The result was total complete silence. It's not possible to hear a difference between the plugins when it shows complete silence during a null test between them.
hmm, just out of interest did you try to null them in real-time or did you render the files first and then try the null test?

And again if anybody is willing to post a dry, uad dyn, and native dyn that would be great.
Old 14th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinderArts View Post
I wish UAD would split that apart from the channel strip. The hardware 235L is the fastest hardware gate/expander that I've ever used.

The Dyna-mite is entirely different and wonderful in many ways.
Oh, gosh — I know! Next survey they put out, I'm putting it!
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't want to convince myself of anything

If you could post files of native vs. uad, that would be great.
OK I will
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmm, just out of interest did you try to null them in real-time or did you render the files first and then try the null test?

And again if anybody is willing to post a dry, uad dyn, and native dyn that would be great.
I tested it in real time. I put a dynamic lead vocal on two channels. This audio file peaked at around -2dB. On one channel I inserted the UAD version of a native port, on the second channel I inserted the native version. I did some heave tweaking with the plugins so that they would actually do something to the sound. Logically, the settings between the plugins are identical. I did all this in Cubase 7.5.20 x64 on Windows 8.0 x64 and the project was setup in 24bit/44.1kHz. I tested this on AKG K701 headphones, as well as my KRK V6 mk2 monitors.

Valley People Dynamite
I hear absolutely no difference switching from channel 1 to channel 2. I can switch between them without any clicking noise or whatsoever, the transition between the channels is always completely smooth. It's impossible to tell them apart. Doing a null test did not result in total silence, but as I soon found out, doing a null test between two native versions or two UAD versions of this plugin, the result was the same: no complete silence, but a crackling sound peaking around -50dB. I guess there is something random in the noise/saturation/harmonics in this plugin that makes it impossible to get a perfect null.

Tonelux Tilt EQ
Again, I hear absolutely no difference switching from channel 1 to channel 2. I can switch between them completely smoothly. It's impossible to tell them apart. Doing a null test resulted in complete silence, Cubase did not show any signal leaving from the master fader anymore. Complete silence during a null test proves that there is absolutely no audible difference between the two channel in this particular test setup.

I know there are people who always believe that, once a native plugin is ported to the UAD platform, the UAD version suddenly sounds better. Someone explained to me once that it sounds better because it's DSP and DSP sounds more 3D and real than a CPU can sound. I always tried to talk them out of thinking like that, but it's like talking people out of believing in God and thinking about that, it's not my job to talk people out of believing in something. I should respect what people believe.

So, this is the last time I'm talking about this subject. Use what you like! At the moment it's more likely that I run out of UAD DSP power than CPU power, so if I wanted to get these plugins, I would get them native. I like to keep the UAD DSP available for UAD plugins that don't have a native equivalent.

I can't upload any files as I started rebuilding my studio and I'm afraid it won't be ready for a while. Bummer, as I'm receiving my Equator D8's today! Bad timing!
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I tested it in real time. I put a dynamic lead vocal on two channels. This audio file peaked at around -2dB. On one channel I inserted the UAD version of a native port, on the second channel I inserted the native version. I did some heave tweaking with the plugins so that they would actually do something to the sound. Logically, the settings between the plugins are identical. I did all this in Cubase 7.5.20 x64 on Windows 8.0 x64 and the project was setup in 24bit/44.1kHz. I tested this on AKG K701 headphones, as well as my KRK V6 mk2 monitors.

Valley People Dynamite
I hear absolutely no difference switching from channel 1 to channel 2. I can switch between them without any clicking noise or whatsoever, the transition between the channels is always completely smooth. It's impossible to tell them apart. Doing a null test did not result in total silence, but as I soon found out, doing a null test between two native versions or two UAD versions of this plugin, the result was the same: no complete silence, but a crackling sound peaking around -50dB. I guess there is something random in the noise/saturation/harmonics in this plugin that makes it impossible to get a perfect null.

Tonelux Tilt EQ
Again, I hear absolutely no difference switching from channel 1 to channel 2. I can switch between them completely smoothly. It's impossible to tell them apart. Doing a null test resulted in complete silence, Cubase did not show any signal leaving from the master fader anymore. Complete silence during a null test proves that there is absolutely no audible difference between the two channel in this particular test setup.

I know there are people who always believe that, once a native plugin is ported to the UAD platform, the UAD version suddenly sounds better. Someone explained to me once that it sounds better because it's DSP and DSP sounds more 3D and real than a CPU can sound. I always tried to talk them out of thinking like that, but it's like talking people out of believing in God and thinking about that, it's not my job to talk people out of believing in something. I should respect what people believe.

So, this is the last time I'm talking about this subject. Use what you like! At the moment it's more likely that I run out of UAD DSP power than CPU power, so if I wanted to get these plugins, I would get them native. I like to keep the UAD DSP available for UAD plugins that don't have a native equivalent.

I can't upload any files as I started rebuilding my studio and I'm afraid it won't be ready for a while. Bummer, as I'm receiving my Equator D8's today! Bad timing!
Ok I see. If you get a chance, try rendering the tracks instead and then perform the null test. I remember I had to do this with some UAD plugins. To be honest I am not entirely sure why in this case but you never know with these things so try it and see if you get the same result.
Old 15th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok I see. If you get a chance, try rendering the tracks instead and then perform the null test. I remember I had to do this with some UAD plugins. To be honest I am not entirely sure why in this case but you never know with these things so try it and see if you get the same result.
Hmmm, some plugins indeed sound different when rendering, compared to realtime performance. Most of the time, it's a quality setting like the amount of oversampling you can chose for offline and realtime processing. Perhaps something like that is happening in the background? It's possible, I don't know! I will try once I'm up and running again!
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Does the UAD Dynamite side chain like the native version? This is one of the best most controlled ducking plugs out there. It would be a shame if UAD still has no side chain functions.
Old 16th July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
Does the UAD Dynamite side chain like the native version? This is one of the best most controlled ducking plugs out there. It would be a shame if UAD still has no side chain functions.
No sidechain, unfortunately. I'm guessing UAD somehow doesn't support it, due to its running on an external DSP or something.
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

That's too bad. Key inputs on this plug are half of what it does, or should. I have the native version and see only good reasons to NOT get the UAD version. I love the UAD platform but this plug is a big miss with no side chaining.
Old 16th July 2014
Deleted User
I've always thought of side-chain ducking as an EDM/highly-produced genres thing. Does it have any application in more natural-sounding pop-rock?
Old 16th July 2014
Lives for gear

Absolutely. If you have lots of keys and guitar you can duck the keys lower when the guitars hit. This is the only plug I know where you can duck a very specific amount like 1db regardless of how hard the threshold gets hit. Lots of rock has ducking also. Red Barchetta by Rush has a guitar passage where one guitar is on one note getting 1/8 note hits but gets ducked every time the other guitar (chords) hits. Also ducking bass guitar slightly during kick hits is common. I also do this if the bass and kick are sloppy, I will duck the bass more than normal and release a little slower. This makes the bass sound like a continuation of the kick rather than two events that were not timed well.
This is also my go to plug for ducking or keying verbs and delays on vocals. For me, half the magic of this plug is missing in the UAD version.
Old 16th July 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRStudio View Post
Absolutely. If you have lots of keys and guitar you can duck the keys lower when the guitars hit. This is the only plug I know where you can duck a very specific amount like 1db regardless of how hard the threshold gets hit. Lots of rock has ducking also. Red Barchetta by Rush has a guitar passage where one guitar is on one note getting 1/8 note hits but gets ducked every time the other guitar (chords) hits. Also ducking bass guitar slightly during kick hits is common. I also do this if the bass and kick are sloppy, I will duck the bass more than normal and release a little slower. This makes the bass sound like a continuation of the kick rather than two events that were not timed well.
This is also my go to plug for ducking or keying verbs and delays on vocals. For me, half the magic of this plug is missing in the UAD version.
Right on. I think ducking vocal delays might be the most applicable use for my style, since you're dealing with an artificial sound anyway so artificially ducking it can be appropriate.
Old 17th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I love Uad but never bought ported plugins from them.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search