Universal audio releases Thermionic Culture Vulture plug-in - Page 8 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Universal audio releases Thermionic Culture Vulture plug-in
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Tips and Tricks video from UAD --

Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFO8 ➑️
Do I have to point out that implying is not the same as literally?
Well, clearly you do.

The way I read that, is that he finds it amusing that people complain about the price of plugins when as little as 10 years ago, it was virtually impossible from a price standpoint to have access to anything remotely professional. Cheap hardware was, well… cheap. And that cheap hardware, was more expensive than plugins and sounded far worse.

So, unless I got it totally wrong, I can't see how you came to your conclusion from SS' post.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I've tried the plug-in during the demo period and I'm buying it soon.

Some people who are comparing to other distortion plug-ins are not being fair. It's like comparing the UAD 1176 collection to slate's VBC, apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I own and use Klanghelm sdrr, other plugins, guitar pedals, etc but there's a reason the Culture Vulture hardware is so popular and it's the way it gives unique tube distortion sounds.

This plug-in emulates those sounds quite well.
Old 25th July 2014 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevi ➑️
Some people who are comparing to other distortion plug-ins are not being fair. It's like comparing the UAD 1176 collection to slate's VBC, apples and oranges.

Don't get me wrong, I own and use Klanghelm sdrr, other plugins, guitar pedals, etc but there's a reason the Culture Vulture hardware is so popular and it's the way it gives unique tube distortion sounds.

This plug-in emulates those sounds quite well.
Okay I'm getting really curious about all the 'special' distortion sounds you can't get with other plugins. I'm sure the hardware can do that (demoed it myself, but many years ago so not really fresh in my memory) but I can't access the UAD plugin at this moment.
Can somebody make something more convincing than UA's own demo's? I'd love to hear some better examples.
Oh and I also understand comparing plugins is a bit like apples and oranges, but I like to keep my overlap between plugs as small as possible, hence the demo's I posted earlier.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Great point, I have Decapitator but no access to the hardware. I'd love to hear a sample if someone has the time. Honestly all this debate about plug ins and cost is stupid. I use my primo plug ins (ST, Slate and Kush), as much as Sknote and Klanghelm. UAD is a classy company and stands for something. That's worth money since a bunch of software that is digital dust is worthless. Maybe you can find something newer/better, however people are making great music with old technology, and really it's all just a different paintbrush in the end. Really like to hear a CV sample even down and dirty!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

40 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why not try out the plug in and see if you like it? No need for examples.........unless you don't have a UAD card!
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
No card! Also no access to hardware. Curious because I've heard so much about the CV! Not my favorite setting on Decapitator but perhaps don't know what to look for....
Old 28th July 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Thumbs up

the UAD plugins are so sexy(!)
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
So, now that the dust has settled, what are the thoughts of this plug in when used gently to add girth and grit to tracks?
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I recommend trying it.

- c
Old 23rd August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks ➑️
So, now that the dust has settled, what are the thoughts of this plug in when used gently to add girth and grit to tracks?
Its as good as it gets for a plugin.

I have many of the distortion and tube emulation plugins available.

Also several hardware tube audio tools including blue face and silver Pultecs.

Don't own a hardware Culture Vulture but like the authenticity the plugin delivers for soft, creamy distortion.

UAD did a great job!
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

I just bought it. I love it. Don't try and crank it. Use it subtly to warm up your midrange or shave off some high end transients. It's brilliant, and I've never had a plugin like it. I have some really nice outboard gear I've used for warming up tracks and mixes. This can easily do the same thing.
Old 26th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It does fantastic things to create over the top Tchad Blake distortion effects as well
Old 27th August 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Recently picked this up on the twofer discount sale they are having. Basically got the Vulture for a $100 after buying the Lex 224, with the 20% discount and two coupons.

Looking forward to using the Culture Vulture flavor in my productions. I have also been getting killer distortion effects from the Neve 1073 in mic mode, try it on parallel on a snare.
Old 28th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Vulture is a great sounding plugin and I've bought it already but UAD definitely needs to optimize the plugin to ease up the hit. I have 2 Quad cards and each vulture takes up 10% each which seems really over the top. I love the quality getting better but there has to be some tightening of the code on this one.
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I did a comparison between the real unit and the UAD

Gain levels do not always match, please load them in your DAW if you want to check properly.

Beats (buss) - Mode T, Bias 0, Drive 7
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

Moog Minitaur Bassline - Mode P1, Bias 5, Drive 11
Dry
CV Hardware -- +4db extra gain to get same results as UAD
CV UAD

Percussion Loop - Mode P2, Bias 0, Drive 8
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

Guitar, Saxophone, Djembe (Buss) - Mode T, Bias 0, Drive 6
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

FX - Mode T, Bias 6, Drive 6 + OVERDRIVE
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD
Old 12th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trigg ➑️

Gain levels do not always match, please load them in your DAW if you want to check properly.

Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD
Those were very helpful. Thank you.
Old 23rd March 2015 | Show parent
t_d
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks for those comparisons. wow, the plug in completely falls apart in pretty much all cases there. i'm in the market for a vulture soon.. and i have a UAD.. but i think i may skip the plug in. it's really no contest.
Old 10th April 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aitte ➑️
What did we all learn today?
Well, I certainly learned not to trust your posts. Embarrassing to say the least.

I have no experience with the Culture Vulture yet I thought it was perfectly clear that A was CV and D was Saturn. They were also the two best sounding ones. B sounded terrible in my opinion, C was OK but not great.

Why did I think A was the CV? It seemed to me that it had to be the one with the most oversampling used. It did a much better job than the other three. I was surprised at how good of a job it really did.
That said, you might still prefer the sound of any of the other. Just because something is technically superior doesn't mean that it's the best.

I love Saturn and it has features that CV simply cannot compete with. But I can see how some people would prefer the CV. If you don't need those features then they aren't of any use. The CV is insanely DSP heavy though I'll give you that. But if you make money off your studio it's not a huge investment really.
Lives for gear

12 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thank you for these! Yeah the hardware is clearly superior to the plugin. Not that it matters a lot to me since I can't afford the hardware, but it's interesting none the less.
I wonder if the limitations here are knowledge in engineering or DSP power.
Deleted User
Quote:

Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

Moog Minitaur Bassline - Mode P1, Bias 5, Drive 11
Dry
CV Hardware -- +4db extra gain to get same results as UAD
CV UAD

Percussion Loop - Mode P2, Bias 0, Drive 8
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

Guitar, Saxophone, Djembe (Buss) - Mode T, Bias 0, Drive 6
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD

FX - Mode T, Bias 6, Drive 6 + OVERDRIVE
Dry
CV Hardware
CV UAD
Cool files, no doubt, shows some of the extremes. But please hit the plugin at around -18dB, with some more material like the GuitarSaxDjembe bus, and do so with fairly normal settings (Bias and Drive around 5), and report back. Thanks.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User ➑️
Cool files, no doubt, shows some of the extremes. But please hit the plugin at around -18dB, with some more material like the GuitarSaxDjembe bus, and do so with fairly normal settings (Bias and Drive around 5), and report back. Thanks.
My demo-period for the UAD plugin has expired, so I'm not able to do any more comparisons at this time.
Old 2nd July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Guru

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionFlower ➑️
Well, I certainly learned not to trust your posts. Embarrassing to say the least.

I have no experience with the Culture Vulture yet I thought it was perfectly clear that A was CV and D was Saturn. They were also the two best sounding ones. B sounded terrible in my opinion, C was OK but not great.

Why did I think A was the CV? It seemed to me that it had to be the one with the most oversampling used. It did a much better job than the other three. I was surprised at how good of a job it really did.
That said, you might still prefer the sound of any of the other. Just because something is technically superior doesn't mean that it's the best.

I love Saturn and it has features that CV simply cannot compete with. But I can see how some people would prefer the CV. If you don't need those features then they aren't of any use. The CV is insanely DSP heavy though I'll give you that. But if you make money off your studio it's not a huge investment really.
I was reading thru this thread because I got good info from aitee. Too bad he was shouted down. He identified the flaws in the "test", before the answers and then matched the emulations better than the "test". GS has become unfortunately a place where people with strong opinions are frequently shouted down and castigated for having an opinion. Too bad in this case since it was an educated one. The "Neve trick" alone was worth the price of admission and admit it, the "test" was to prove the guy wrong. I do agree Saturn is probably a superior plug in since it is so flexible. The right answer to me is you choose a tool because it saves you time and you may not have the familiarity with a piece of hardware to emulate it's sound easily.
Old 27th January 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova ➑️
To put things in perspective, I made a little comparison test.
This is just a quick test with the audio files provided by UA and calibrated with my ears so no special metering tools for measuring and comparing the smallest details.

Contenders are:
β€’ Fafbilter Saturn
β€’ Klanghelm SDRR (+ high cut EQ to match CV)
β€’ Soundtoys Decapitator
β€’ UA Culture Vulture (the goal!)

You can hear a beep before each different plugin, the order stays the same.
The test starts with the original unprocessed sample.

Can you guess which is what?
A =
B =
C =
D =
Came here to research the UAD TCV as I'm trying to pick my 3rd plug on the 3 for $399 custom bundle (hence, looking at the more expensive plugs).

I don't have the hardware version, but have been interested in it.
After listening to those samples (pg 4 of this thread), I was drawn to A and C, with a noticeable preference to to 'A', so I was hoping it was the UAD version....

(spoiler----don't scroll down if you don't wanna know!)

And I was not disappointed. Will probably pull the trigger on this UAD plug.

And note to everyone else regarding pricing and DSP usage> Most UAD users rarely pay full buck for many plugs. With coupons/sales/deals, etc. In my case it'll be $133.
As for the DSP it, native vs DSP, etc.> This is for a portable MBp laptop system so offloading to external DSP is an advantage. This isn't a scenario where one can just compare and challenge with native.

Everyone's needs and tastes are different.
Old 28th January 2016
TNM
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
you know, if you want plugin convenience and can't afford the real thing, to me the plugin is around 80% there.. Certainly not as close as some other UA emulations but certainly good enough to use in many situations. I chose it as one of my custom bundle 3 and very happy I did so. You can't push it as hard as the HW but that doesn't mean it's not a great plugin to add weight to drums, for example, or rip up a bass a bit, etc. I recommend it. i far prefer it to decapitator even though it has less distortion modes and less features, because decap just sounds totally wrong on drums and vocals to me (but i DO like it on bass) whereas i find UA CV useful there. I also like the separate left and right processing channels, but the other thing I have found that is a really neat trick with the plugin, is to use it inside blue cat mb-7(or i think patchworx too).. what you do is simply insert MB-7 inplace of your culture vulture, and insert culture vulture ua plugin inside mb-7. because culture vulture is a true dual channel plugin, MB-7 is able to convert the L/R to M/S! So you can actually make it apply distortion on the mids for example, on stereo sounds.

PS the overdrive button on the plugin is more or less useless, i haven't heard a scenario where that sounds good yet.. it just tears everything apart in a nasty way, so don't judge it on that IMO
Old 28th January 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice tip on the MB-7, thanks!
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Just bump because I’m on a culture Vulture kick. I’ve owned a Culture Vulture Super 15 for almost two years.

The plugin is one of the few plugins that I’d say misses the mark in a big way. I did my own tests using UAD’s dry samples. Biggest meh if there was one. Decapitator is a much better emulation.

Still, neither can come close to the high end definition and range of sounds as the real thing. You can only use the UAD plugin for subtle warmth. Decapitator can do full out distortion, but compared to the airy high end of the hardware they just fall apart.

Sort of makes sense though... when monitoring in 96khz, the vultures harmonics go wayyyy above 20khz. And no aliasing harmonics bouncing back. And no side band sub harmonics below the fundamental.
Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
While I am a huge UAD fan (own many of their plugins), I also happen to own an 11th anniversary (Red with stepped knobs) mastering version of the CV.
The HW unit has different tubes (NOS Mullard) and capabilities as the one emulated by UAD. I think that the plugin sounds pretty 2d and boring vs the HW.
Of course the Mullards bring stronger mids but I thought the plugins fails at higher settings and the HW is just glorious, no matter how much gain and dist you put it.
Old 6th December 2020
Lives for gear

I wish I could return the plug-in lol. My least favorite UAD offering that I paid for.
πŸ“ Reply