The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Joey Sturgis Pixelator Plugin DAW Software
Old 28th June 2014
Joey Sturgis Pixelator Plugin

Straight from the website:

Audio resolution manipulator for sound design and destruction. This plugin was created with producers, sound designers, and musicians in mind and allows you to create low resolution audio and bit crushed sound through a variety of modes each with different sonic characteristics.

This is an audio processor, not an instrument.

Includes:
Audio Plugin (single user license)
User Manual

Requirements:
A computer with Intel or AMD compatible processor, Windows or Mac OSX operating system, and a compatible DAW installed (check which plugin formats your DAW supports and see Compatibility list below).
This plugin does NOT operate as a standalone!

Supported Daws:
Logic 8, 9, X (and any version that supports AU)
Pro Tools 7, 8, 9, 10, HD (and any version that supports RTAS or AAX)
Cubase 5, 6, 7 (and any version that supports VST2 or VST3)
Any other DAW that supports VST2, VST3, AAX, AUX, or RTAS
Compatibility:
Windows (32 & 64 bit): VST2, VST3, AAX, RTAS
Mac OSX (32 & 64 bit): VST2, VST3, AU, AAX, RTAS
Note: The RTAS specification does not provide 64 bit support.

JST - Pixelator / Joey Sturgis Tones
Attached Thumbnails
Joey Sturgis Pixelator Plugin-image_4462.jpg  
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

I don't trust this company. Bought the soft clipper - it sounds ok (not better then pt11 lofi soft clip).

I found two major problems with that plugin that made it unusable to me and with that in mind I assume everything made by this company will be mediocre at best.

One was that it wasn't sample correct - latency that caused phasing in PT11. That is just not acceptable.

The other one - placing the make up gain last in the chain, after the blend wet/dry. Seems like a good idea on paper but in reality it sucks. Very hard to mix wet/dry and keep the output gain consistent.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

I don't trust this company. Bought the soft clipper - it sounds ok (not better then pt11 lofi soft clip).

I found two major problems with that plugin that made it unusable to me and with that in mind I assume everything made by this company will be mediocre at best.

One was that it wasn't sample correct - latency that caused phasing in PT11. That is just not acceptable.

The other one - placing the make up gain last in the chain, after the blend wet/dry. Seems like a good idea on paper but in reality it sucks. Very hard to mix wet/dry and keep the output gain consistent.
Old 28th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
Does the developer know about these problems and does he have any plans about fixing them?
If there are known problems with the previous products that are not getting fixed I would rather stay away from this one too.. That said I want to hear the whole story first. Maybe the developer working on the fixes as we speak?

I love LOFI plugins and this one is very appealing to me because of the pricetag, nice gui and also because I happened to like the the audio demo. Even thought the price is very affordable I wish I could demo it myself so I could compare it to the tools I already own. I don't want to have multiple tools that have the same sound.

It would be interesting to know what copy protection this thing is using. I checked the homepage but didn't see any mention about it.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear
That looks cool, if not a little dicey.
Old 28th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 View Post
Does the developer know about these problems and does he have any plans about fixing them?
If there are known problems with the previous products that are not getting fixed I would rather stay away from this one too.. That said I want to hear the whole story first. Maybe the developer working on the fixes as we speak?
I told them, they didn't seem to agree that it was a problem but they were polite and all

Hope they will at least deal with delay compensation thing to avoid the phasing.

I think both issues are pretty major and makes it hard to use, at least for me.
Old 28th June 2014
I do not own any of his products, in fact I've always felt a bit uneasy about buying his plugins. I just post the threads for other people to check out. His company pumps out too many plugins for me to feel ok with buying them. It takes most devs months and months and months to create a plug and hammer out all the problems, so when I see this guy putting out 3 plugs this year already, it makes me nervous, but I only repost for other peope's sake.
Old 30th June 2014
Lives for gear

Finally had a chance to try this.
Great plugin.
The sample divider is wicked, does some crazy stuff to drums, hi hats in particular.
Really nice having the mix control.
Another winner from JST I reckon.
Old 1st July 2014
I have his Gain reduction plugin. Sounds great on certain synths. I havent tried this yet.
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

The mix knob on JST Clip is intended to be used when you want to mix the original signal with the clipped signal. It is sample accurate and safe to use for parallel processing. If you want to use it apart from a duplicated signal, you should measure sample delay.

We are working on a sample accurate version with a faster algorithm to make the comb filtering occur at 19 kHz instead of its current 10 kHz.

Thanks for your interest!

-Joey Sturgis Tones
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I do not own any of his products, in fact I've always felt a bit uneasy about buying his plugins. I just post the threads for other people to check out. His company pumps out too many plugins for me to feel ok with buying them. It takes most devs months and months and months to create a plug and hammer out all the problems, so when I see this guy putting out 3 plugs this year already, it makes me nervous, but I only repost for other peope's sake.
We have spent a lot of time on our plugins. I'm sorry you fail to see our effort and quality. I would be happy to send you all of our plugins for free to prove you wrong.

Thanks!
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffo View Post
I told them, they didn't seem to agree that it was a problem but they were polite and all

Hope they will at least deal with delay compensation thing to avoid the phasing.

I think both issues are pretty major and makes it hard to use, at least for me.
We have a version that is almost done that will fix your issue. Thanks for reporting it to us earlier. However, you must realize the original design included built in parallel processing that was sample accurate.
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
Finally had a chance to try this.
Great plugin.
The sample divider is wicked, does some crazy stuff to drums, hi hats in particular.
Really nice having the mix control.
Another winner from JST I reckon.
Thanks so much, I hope you continue to enjoy our plugins!
Old 1st July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik303 View Post

I love LOFI plugins and this one is very appealing to me because of the pricetag, nice gui and also because I happened to like the the audio demo. Even thought the price is very affordable I wish I could demo it myself so I could compare it to the tools I already own. I don't want to have multiple tools that have the same sound.

It would be interesting to know what copy protection this thing is using. I checked the homepage but didn't see any mention about it.
Thanks for your interest, mik303. We don't have any copy protection, instead we rely on a license agreement which is available to read during the installation. We allow you to install the plugin on your personal computers. You are also allowed to install to a shared computer during length of use as long as you uninstall it when you're done.

Cheers!
Old 1st July 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
We have spent a lot of time on our plugins. I'm sorry you fail to see our effort and quality. I would be happy to send you all of our plugins for free to prove you wrong.

Thanks!
I might have to take you up on that!

Was extremely close to getting GR the day it was released, but I've dealt with my fair share of unstable plugins that completely made pro tools totally and utterly unusable, so I tend to stick with the usual brands who have established products that are known for their stability. This isn't meant to be a slam to your product line, just a general bit of cautiousness from someone who's dealt with new company's before. Id love to try it out, and hopefully praise it's glory to the forum with a new-found attitude. I was the one who started all 3 threads for GR, the Clipper, and now the Pixelator. So I'm always interested in what others have to say.

Also, while you are on the thread Joe, can you explain how Pixelator differs from other stock lofi sample/bit crushing plugs? Thanks.
Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I might have to take you up on that!

Was extremely close to getting GR the day it was released, but I've dealt with my fair share of unstable plugins that completely made pro tools totally and utterly unusable, so I tend to stick with the usual brands who have established products that are known for their stability. This isn't meant to be a slam to your product line, just a general bit of cautiousness from someone who's dealt with new company's before. Id love to try it out, and hopefully praise it's glory to the forum with a new-found attitude. I was the one who started all 3 threads for GR, the Clipper, and now the Pixelator. So I'm always interested in what others have to say.

Also, while you are on the thread Joe, can you explain how Pixelator differs from other stock lofi sample/bit crushing plugs? Thanks.
We have a test group of 20+ people who test every plugin for 1 - 2 weeks on every combination of setup we could come up with. We've never had any stability problems or crashes. Just quirks (which we fix). Our programmers are top notch. In fact, Boz Millar of Boz Digital is one of the main programmers for our plugins.

Here's some examples of Pixelator, live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyjh8PmCGj8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFTKHdmRErg
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search