The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Introducing Drumforge Dynamic Microphones
Old 25th June 2014
  #1
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

Introducing Drumforge

"Drumforge" Modular Sample Library Available Now, Features Over 50 Unique Drum Instruments



Watch "Drumforge: The Story"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Www...ature=youtu.be

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

June 24, 2014 - Drumforge, one of the most ambitious and comprehensive drum & cymbal sample libraries every developed is available now from award-winning producer Joey Sturgis and fellow producers Joel Wanasek and Joe Wohlitz.

Drumforge features over 50 different drum instruments and is one of the first drum sample libraries that allows you to create cross-genre drum tones using a fully automatable multi-mic fader system. The microphones have been put in interesting positions and processed creatively to provide you with a wide variety of tonal options.

You can purchase drums separately as modular digital downloads or get them all with the Drumforge I Pack! The online store also offers various combinations of drum instruments bundled together at a discount.

This sample library includes:
- Unique multi-mic fader system allowing you to blend multiple close and far microphones to create tones you'd never get with other drum software!
- 10 Kicks, 23 Snares, 9 sets of Toms, 6 Crash Cymbals, 2 sets of Hi Hats, 2 Crash Ride Cymbals, 1 Ride Cymbal, 2 China Cymbals, and 1 Splash Cymbal
- Unprocessed and processed versions of each drum
- Wav Files of all multi-samples and velocity layers from each microphone
Trigger, Drumagog, and Kontakt instrument formats
- Fully automatable multi-mic fader system for blending and crafting unique drum sounds custom built for Kontakt
- Detailed and highly informative manual

From The Developers:

“Drumforge is a revolutionary new approach to drum sampling that enables people to be more creative and expressive with drum tone by providing an innovative platform for crafting drum sounds in your music. Imagine having such a flexible palette of sounds that allows you to transcend any genre without having to reach for another compressor or equalizer.” - Joel Wanasek

“This library has changed the way I look at mixing drums forever. Not only do I have these great sounds to start with, but now there’s a user friendly system for interacting with multiple microphone setups to help me create more than one tone out of each drum. Unlike other drum instruments, Drumforge has multiple close and far microphones to blend from using our custom mic mixer. For example, you could blend a D6 with a RE20 to form a punchier kick sound that you could never get from a single microphone. The possibilities are endless, and with our à la carte store setup, you’ll be able to own only the drums you want to have!” - Joey Sturgis

“There’s something for everyone in this package. In addition to this incredibly diverse library, we are offering the raw, unmixed samples to even further enhance your artistic expression. This gives you an amazing amount of control and flexibility in the music making process. It enables you to create music even easier.” - Joe Wohlitz

User Testimonials:

“I've used many of the drum instruments out there and always end up utilizing bits of each one like a kick from here or a snare from there. It always ends up getting complicated. Drumforge is the one stop shop for great mix ready drum sounds, and the mixer is extremely tweakable. The answer to running one plugin for my whole kit is here!” - Andy Reilly - Producer/Mixer (Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden, Asia)

“These are killer samples and I'm loving the amazing versatility to intuitively mix with the various mics on each drum with ease. I'm never micing up a real drum set ever again!” - Oh, Hush! - Song Writer (Cee Lo, Jason Derulo, Loreen)

“I have been recording live drums in great rooms for over 20 years. These samples sound amazing! I would use these samples all day long on any of my sessions.” - Dan Malsch - Producer/Mixer (Motionless in White, Tantric, Framing Hanley)

More information:
DRUMFORGE

Browse all Drumforge Products now:
Products | The Drum Forge

Last edited by joelgtrnut; 25th June 2014 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: Added image
Old 25th June 2014
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
rockgod1968's Avatar
 

This is very awesome, I like some of the other virtual kits but there's always a couple of kit pieces that don't work and end up having to use multiple Kontakts or instruments to get that final kit sound. I have been checking this out for the guys the last few weeks and it pretty much covers all areas and I was extremely impressed. I released a bunch of kits I had done for my own use a few years back that received surprising popularity ( to me ) I think mainly because they were pretty flat and untampered with which means you are not processing already processed material which I think is a must sometimes for more realism and sitting in your own material, with these they give you both and the processed sounds are not overdone, they just rock a lot more! Also there is a hell of a lot of options for sounds, the multi mic mixer etc. and it was recorded and put together by people who work in the industry making records just like we do, very good ones at that!
Old 25th June 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Listened through the individual kicks and snares. Tons of variety. Really an outstanding collection of drums. At $299 for the whole enchilada, that seems like a nice price.

Last edited by VitaEtMusica; 25th June 2014 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: I'm dim witted
Old 25th June 2014
  #4
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Have you come up with a script to control all instances of a certain mic at once? If I'm using a kit multi and want to bring the OH's down, is there a way to do that without expanding/scrolling each instrument one at a time and pulling down the OH for every drum? That would be crazy clunky.

Also, judging by the recording I saw in the video, there's no bleed functionality? Each of these drums lives in its own universe?

How many velocity layers and RR hits per layer?

Thanks!!
Old 25th June 2014
  #5
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

@vita

I'll definitely ask my Kontakt guy to see if that is possible! Kontakt has some serious limitations in the coding as far as I know and sometimes we have ideas but it won't allow us to implement them. Right now we are working on some different options for a standalone plugin. I'll mention your idea to him as I think it is awesome! We do have a unique Kontakt script just for Drumforge that we designed. Unlike traditional round robin (1,2,3,4), drum forge's random round robin creates a random series of samples to cycle through without playing the same sample back to back.

As for velocities/etc... after taking into consideration file size and delivery options, we choose to give more unique instruments to the customer instead of having only a few unique drums, but having the craziest sampling of said few drums. Our layers are laid out more like Slate with 4-9 hits per velocity and 4-6 velocities per drum (it depends what it is and what it is used for). A lot of time was spent picking the mapping points so that triggering would be more realistic to the actual performance of the drummer. After many years of mixing with samples from our team (we all mix for a living) we settled on a mapping and velocity scheme that we thought was extremely realistic and accurate.

To answer the bleed question, each mic contains the hit in it (all the mics are on, you just control how much you want to hear). So basically, they were processed so that each individual mic sounds radically different so that you can move the faders and get totally different sounds. We also blended vintage micing and modern micing techniques to give more options. So for an example, turn up a d6, rooms down and you have metal on a kick drum. Turn up the d112, r121, and some OH mics and you now have the same kick but it works in an alternative/indie rock mix. It is the same drum, but the result is totally different and it sounds like a different drum. Of another example, on our cymbals you can switch (and automate) between a xy and spaced pair on overheads in real time. So if you want a xy hat on a verse and then on the chorus a spaced pair so that the imaging opens up, you can do it. The creative options and potential are vast. Again though, if you don't want to use our processing, we give you the raw sounds so you can mix them to your own liking and all the sample were cut on super awesome gear like Burl Mothership Converters, etc...

Here is a quick sample video that demonstrates how the multi mic thing works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9PQS2ftGI
Old 25th June 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgtrnut View Post
@vita

Right now we are working on some different options for a standalone plugin.

Here is a quick sample video that demonstrates how the multi mic thing works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9PQS2ftGI


@joelgtrnut First let me Congrats you guys for coming up with a what seem to be an amazing add-on but great alternative on Drums Library then what we already have on the market. It looks that you guys really took the time and went all out with this one. Congrats and can not wait to put my hands on your DrumForge and try it out. Already the sound I heard on Soundcloud are stunning. Kudos to the TEAM

As for the Kontakt limitations so true, hopefully that NI will make things easier and open to go more into deep with script otherwise I believe that going forward with Own StandAlone version would be the Best idea ;-)

Good luck & Congrats
Old 25th June 2014
  #7
Quote:
I'm never micing up a real drum set ever again!
Old 25th June 2014
  #8
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

@bgrotto

Oh Hush is a song writer, not an engineer.
Old 25th June 2014
  #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgtrnut View Post
@bgrotto

Oh Hush is a song writer, not an engineer.
Ah, ok. That makes a lot more sense.
Old 25th June 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Great sounds and the idea include Trigger Format as well is brill.
Old 26th June 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
VitaEtMusica's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelgtrnut View Post
@vita

I'll definitely ask my Kontakt guy to see if that is possible! Kontakt has some serious limitations in the coding as far as I know and sometimes we have ideas but it won't allow us to implement them. Right now we are working on some different options for a standalone plugin. I'll mention your idea to him as I think it is awesome! We do have a unique Kontakt script just for Drumforge that we designed. Unlike traditional round robin (1,2,3,4), drum forge's random round robin creates a random series of samples to cycle through without playing the same sample back to back.

As for velocities/etc... after taking into consideration file size and delivery options, we choose to give more unique instruments to the customer instead of having only a few unique drums, but having the craziest sampling of said few drums. Our layers are laid out more like Slate with 4-9 hits per velocity and 4-6 velocities per drum (it depends what it is and what it is used for). A lot of time was spent picking the mapping points so that triggering would be more realistic to the actual performance of the drummer. After many years of mixing with samples from our team (we all mix for a living) we settled on a mapping and velocity scheme that we thought was extremely realistic and accurate.

To answer the bleed question, each mic contains the hit in it (all the mics are on, you just control how much you want to hear). So basically, they were processed so that each individual mic sounds radically different so that you can move the faders and get totally different sounds. We also blended vintage micing and modern micing techniques to give more options. So for an example, turn up a d6, rooms down and you have metal on a kick drum. Turn up the d112, r121, and some OH mics and you now have the same kick but it works in an alternative/indie rock mix. It is the same drum, but the result is totally different and it sounds like a different drum. Of another example, on our cymbals you can switch (and automate) between a xy and spaced pair on overheads in real time. So if you want a xy hat on a verse and then on the chorus a spaced pair so that the imaging opens up, you can do it. The creative options and potential are vast. Again though, if you don't want to use our processing, we give you the raw sounds so you can mix them to your own liking and all the sample were cut on super awesome gear like Burl Mothership Converters, etc...

Here is a quick sample video that demonstrates how the multi mic thing works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9PQS2ftGI
You can use a master script module within a multi to control pretty much everything about every instrument within that multi. It can route anything to anything and control Volume/Pan faders, knobs, Midi CC's, fx routing, etc, etc, etc. Making all "OH" faders controllable by one fader/knob can be done, and is currently done in several sample libraries I own.

As far as bleed, I was referring to mic bleed. As in, you hit a tom, the snare drum buzzes, etc. I see you have isolated each part of the kit rather than record the kit as a whole, so no part of of your kit affects the other. Still works, especially within the context of pop and rock.

Do you have a quick way of editing the velocity curve of your layers? What works for you guys may not work for others. It really depends on your input device and how hard you prefer to hit it.

Thanks for answering my questions. The samples are super impressive.
Old 26th June 2014
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
You can use a master script module within a multi to control pretty much everything about every instrument within that multi. It can route anything to anything and control Volume/Pan faders, knobs, Midi CC's, fx routing, etc, etc, etc. Making all "OH" faders controllable by one fader/knob can be done, and is currently done in several sample libraries I own.

As far as bleed, I was referring to mic bleed. As in, you hit a tom, the snare drum buzzes, etc. I see you have isolated each part of the kit rather than record the kit as a whole, so no part of of your kit affects the other. Still works, especially within the context of pop and rock.

Do you have a quick way of editing the velocity curve of your layers? What works for you guys may not work for others. It really depends on your input device and how hard you prefer to hit it.

Thanks for answering my questions. The samples are super impressive.
My brain spaced on the bleed question and I didn't give you a good answer. Answering too many questions in too many places lol. We cut each drum separately. We miced everything as a kit and taped it all off (especially important as we had a recorderman setup in there and we didn't want kick and snares moving). After that we removed everything then did all kicks, then snares, etc... It made more sense to do it this way as we have over 50 unique instruments. E.g. 10 kicks, 9 tom sets, 23 snares, etc...

Not sure about velocity curve mapping in kontakt (I'll ask my guy) but I know you can in Trigger etc... easily. Once we get a standalone plugin version, it will be in there for sure. We did put a tightness control in Kontakt that allows you to adjust the sustain of the sample. Since most of our drums were vintage, we tried to get nice full resonances out of the hits. Having a tightness knob is essential for anyone that does metal or faster rock.
Old 26th June 2014
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
Do you have a quick way of editing the velocity curve of your layers? What works for you guys may not work for others. It really depends on your input device and how hard you prefer to hit it.
My kontakt guy says "My kontakt guy says "It isn't in the Kontakt version right now, but can be implemented in a future update.""
Old 27th June 2014
  #14
Gear Head
 

I bought a kick and a snare to try out before i buy the whole pack, I must say i am very pleased with the tones. Very easy to get lovely tones that work in a mix. Double Thumbs Up!!!
Old 27th June 2014
  #15
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrychua View Post
I bought a kick and a snare to try out before i buy the whole pack, I must say i am very pleased with the tones. Very easy to get lovely tones that work in a mix. Double Thumbs Up!!!
Thanks for checking it out Jerry! I'd love to hear something you've mixed with it. What kind of music are you working on?
Old 27th June 2014
  #16
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Is there a list of articulations sampled for each drum?
Old 27th June 2014
  #17
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Is there a list of articulations sampled for each drum?
From the manual:

Old 28th June 2014
  #18
Gear Guru
 
Animus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
From the manual:

thanks man. So no rim shots? A little light on the articulations but I get you were going for quantity not full on detail.
Old 28th June 2014
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
joelgtrnut's Avatar
 

The snare has rim shots built in to the hardest velocity hits at 127 (in kontakt or trigger etc). The toms don't have rim ticks (like hitting the stick on the rim). But the snare does.
Old 11th July 2014
  #20
sorry if this is a dumb question, but is drumforge compatible with superior drummer (i.e., can I use the drumforge samples with my midi grooves in SD)?
Old 11th July 2014
  #21
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Ivers View Post
sorry if this is a dumb question, but is drumforge compatible with superior drummer (i.e., can I use the drumforge samples with my midi grooves in SD)?
Unfortunately, Drumforge is not compatible with Superior Drummer because Toontrack only allows their own sound packs to be loaded into Superior Drummer. But if SD allows you a way to record the midi grooves into a midi channel, or even just pipe the midi out via routing, you could most certainly pipe those back into Drumforge on Kontakt, and use our midi mapping feature to re-articulate which notes control which articulations!
Old 11th July 2014
  #22
So what you're sayin' is...there's a way! Tits! heh
Old 29th October 2014
  #23
Old 29th October 2014
  #24
Lives for gear
 

???
Old 14th January 2015
  #25
Gear Head
 

Hello! These samples sound fantastic. I see the note about this product working in "demo mode" only with the free version of Kontakt. What functionality is limited if I am only using the free version of Kontakt?
Old 16th January 2015
  #26
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack View Post
Hello! These samples sound fantastic. I see the note about this product working in "demo mode" only with the free version of Kontakt. What functionality is limited if I am only using the free version of Kontakt?
The limitation with Free Kontakt Player is that the instrument will stop producing sound after 15 minutes of use, other than that it works fully. It is possible to create a kit in 15 minutes, save, close session, re-open session, and bounce down the sound from the instrument into an audio track and move on with the session, however we recognize this to be a big issue practically. Hence, we marketed this to users who have Full version of Kontakt, only.
Old 16th January 2015
  #27
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymusicguy View Post
The limitation with Free Kontakt Player is that the instrument will stop producing sound after 15 minutes of use, other than that it works fully. It is possible to create a kit in 15 minutes, save, close session, re-open session, and bounce down the sound from the instrument into an audio track and move on with the session, however we recognize this to be a big issue practically. Hence, we marketed this to users who have Full version of Kontakt, only.
Gotcha, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the standalone!
Old 23rd January 2015
  #28
Gear Head
 

Correction, I can barely wait for the standalone plugin. The samples sound ridiculous!!!
Old 9th March 2015
  #29
Lives for gear
 
beau_mckee's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnack View Post
Correction, I can barely wait for the standalone plugin. The samples sound ridiculous!!!
Is there a standalone version coming?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump