The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VOS/TDR SlickEQ Gentleman's Edition
Old 9th February 2019
Gear Nut

I'd like to see more output stage options for further coloring side. Excited and Toasted from GE are really good though!
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Maniac
My favourite EQ

Fabien,
I want to thank you very much for Slick EQ.
Its like nothing else I have tried.
Amazingly subtle.
I mainly work with acoustic music.
Its my go to EQ.
Old 8th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabienTDR View Post
SlickEQ M maybe? Or the Nova series?
SlickEQ M, is great for mastering, more transparent and CPU hungry than SlickEQ GE, I use it for tracks EQ'ing and always fall short with only 3 bands. For drums especially. A 4-5 band "SlickEQ Pro" with the ability to choose different curves for each band, would be so awesome.
Old 9th June 2019
Lives for gear

@ Fabian : Any news on the big updates to SlickEQ GE and M?
Old 28th October 2019
We've just released SlickEQ and SlickEQ GE version 1.3.0

VOS/TDR SlickEQ Gentleman's Edition-shot.jpg

This update comes with VST3 support, Catalina compatibility, 3 UI scales, and tons of fixes.

SlickEq GE in particular now features the SmartOps panel already known from Nova GE, and offers a new "Dual Mono*" stereo mode imposing randomized tolerance similar to real world electronics (we specifically analyzed an SSL 4000 console to extract its tolerances under various conditions). It's fun, double clicking the logo creates a new seed.

TDR VOS SlickEQ - Changelog

1.3.0 Update

# Added support for VST3
# Added UI scales: 100%, 125% and 150%
# Added zero latency "live" mode
# Fixed DC appearing in "funky" saturation mode
# Various DSP performance improvements
# Fixed possible lock when closing the plugin in certain hosts
# Minor UI enhancements and fixes

Free download here: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq/

TDR VOS SlickEQ GE - Changelog

1.3.0 Update

# Added VST3 support
# Added UI scales: 100%, 125% and 150%
# Added "Live" quality mode offering zero latency operation
# Added "Dual Mono*" mode offering stereo operation with subtle randomized tolerances.
# Added new saturation mode "Seven"
# Added Smart Operation Panel
# Magnitude display updated
# Fixed possible lock when closing the plugin in certain hosts

License owners find the latest version under their library: https://store.tokyodawn.net

A demo is also available: https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq-ge/

We'll roll out VST3 and Catalina support for all our products over the next weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
VOS/TDR SlickEQ Gentleman's Edition-shot.jpg  

Last edited by FabienTDR; 28th October 2019 at 11:56 PM..
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Please make VST3 version to have 64-bit output interface.
VST2 is 64-bit
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Please make VST3 version to have 64-bit output interface.
VST2 is 64-bit
as also AAX and AU.
Old 29th October 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Update is nice, if only it had one more mid band, I would probably use this much more...
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

Please make SlickEQ M (Mastering Edition) VST2 version to have 64-bit output interface.
Nova GE,Kotelnikov GE,SlickEQ GE are 64-bit
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Please make SlickEQ M (Mastering Edition) VST2 version to have 64-bit output interface.
Nova GE,Kotelnikov GE,SlickEQ GE are 64-bit
The new version has 64-bit VST2 output interface and it's on the way to release...
Old 29th October 2019
Lives for gear

it would be nice to have VST3 versions with 64-bit output.
Because in Cubase,only VST3 shows as 64-bit.
All VST2 plugins truncated to 32 bit output in Cubase 10
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Great new features !

Zero latency mode and 64-bit processing are very welcome.

Actually, it's obscene your are selling theses plugins at this price. They are so great !

I bought recently the Gentleman full bundle, and it's awesome, specially when you think that it's less expensive than a single FabFilter plugin (Nova alone is on par with Pro MB, and even better on some aspects : it's true it's not exactly the same tool, but most of the time I prefer to use it than pro MB for solve the same problems)...

A 4th band to slick EQ would be great, but I think the purpose of this EQ is not to do surgical tweaks. I like it too for its simplicity - the auto gain compensation being a game changer for me when comparing to other tools...
It's so quick and easy to EQ with it !

Thanks a lot for your great work !
Old 29th October 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post
A 4th band to slick EQ would be great, but I think the purpose of this EQ is not to do surgical tweaks. I like it too for its simplicity
A four band eq is far from being complicated, it's rather basic. Also, having 'smart ops' with only 3 bands doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 29th October 2019
It's "just" version 1.3.0

I like the idea of having a 4th band, or even 3 UI modes: 2 band, 3 band and 4 band.
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
A four band eq is far from being complicated, it's rather basic. Also, having 'smart ops' with only 3 bands doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
SlickEQ GE is 4 band EQ. You've got: 2 shelf/bells, 1 normal/narrow bell and 1 tilt/wide bell. It's more than enough for general tone shaping. If anything more complicated is needed, drag&drop EQ is much more preferable to use and we've got such product.
Old 29th October 2019
OMU
Lives for gear

Haha, alright.

I have 'the other' product too, but to me it's a specialized tool. I'd prefer to use Slick GE as a main eq also because I like the saturation module.

Anyway, thumbs up for the updated analyzer and the new saturation model.
Old 29th October 2019
Gear Maniac
So,..
Does TDR VOS SlickEQ have 64 bit processing?
Float? Double precision?

What the benefit of 80 bit float (extended) precision like in MAAT eqs, Algorithmix eqs, PSP MasterQ2? And why some developers add 80 bit? And why others use only either 32 bit float or 64 bit float double precision? Is it just more calculations, more cpu use, more marketing hype, and no any advantages in audio quality? If 80 bit DSP exists, why nobody implements this in DAWs, summing, plugins, synths, editors? Or it is enough to have 64 bit processing?
Old 29th October 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereo Flux View Post
So,..
Does TDR VOS SlickEQ have 64 bit processing?
Float? Double precision?

What the benefit of 80 bit float (extended) precision like in MAAT eqs, Algorithmix eqs, PSP MasterQ2? And why some developers add 80 bit? And why others use only either 32 bit float or 64 bit float double precision? Is it just more calculations, more cpu use, more marketing hype, and no any advantages in audio quality? If 80 bit DSP exists, why nobody implements this in DAWs, summing, plugins, synths, editors? Or it is enough to have 64 bit processing?
I won't comment on third party marketing bingo.

But would suggest trying out plugindoctor instead and just measure "what comes out". SlickEQ's audio processing is cutting edge. Also uses "80bit accumulators" at certain places, but this is a completely irrelevant detail! Just any software compiled with a modern compiler does it. Be it a 9 year old programming snake, or Apple building an audio player.

Noise is really the smallest problem in digital audio. Be cautious when sellers highlight the irrelevant, the banal.

A point very few manufacturers talk about, probably for good reasons, is their lack of antialiasing, or if at all, their rather compromising ways to dampen these nasty issues (naive I/O oversampling, usage of inferior resampling methods, etc).

The lack of a proper gain compensation is another highly unprofessional habit that our products use to take very seriously (yes it's less impressive at first glance, but leads to better results).

Last edited by FabienTDR; 30th October 2019 at 12:17 AM..
Old 30th October 2019
Lives for gear

Thank you for this excellent update. I love it when you feel that a lot happened. It is so in this case.

GUI resize, dual-mono mode, graphics refined....top notch, Fabien and Vlad!!!

Last edited by DrAudioBot; 30th October 2019 at 12:38 PM..
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Yesssss. Looking forward to trying it out! Also very excited for the Dual Mono mode as an option. I thought that the dual mono TMT on BX Console N added something subtle to the sound, but more often than not that plug lies gathering dust while I use SlickEQ GE. Happy to have all the options in one package again (Edit: I missed that the smart ops panel is included too. Wow.)

I know that it one point you had talked about not having the auto gain compensation apply to the low and high pass filters, or acting differently on them because of how much it changed the sound. Did that ever get implemented?
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
I know that it one point you had talked about not having the auto gain compensation apply to the low and high pass filters, or acting differently on them because of how much it changed the sound. Did that ever get implemented?
Yes, forgot to mention it. In new SlickEQ GE high-pass/low-pass filters are out of auto-gain control. But if you open old projects, the behavior is like it was before so there'll be no sudden gain changes for old sessions.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Thank you for this excellent update. I love it when you feel that a lot happened. It is so in this case.

GUI resize, dual-mono mode, graphics refined....top notch, Fabien and Vlad!!!
You forgot new zero-latency mode. Just kidding)
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladg View Post
Yes, forgot to mention it. In new SlickEQ GE high-pass/low-pass filters are out of auto-gain control. But if you open old projects, the behavior is like it was before so there'll be no sudden gain changes for old sessions.
Yay! Thank you.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Can you give more specifics on the new saturation mode? I saw the manual described it as transient specific.
Old 30th October 2019
Here for the gear
Thanks for the nice update. Just a very minor cosmetical issue: in Cubase, the VST3 version of SlickEQ appears by default in the "Other" plugin category, instead of in the "EQ" section as it should. I guess it would be the same in other DAWs, as this category tag is something you have to set in the plugin itself when you compile it. Not a big deal, but maybe you want to take it into account for future releases.

Last edited by Jorge Ruiz; 31st October 2019 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Add more information
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

I echo the request for vst3. Cubase is becoming more and more picky about vst2 and blacklisting.

I really enjoy the slick EQ mastering edition. The way the curve flexes as I adjust points is one of my favorite aspects. I wish it was as fast as some other VST EQs in which you can simply click on the spectrum and an eq point is automatically generated. This feature would be a huge improvement for my workflow.

I also wish that new instances would open with the analyzer on. It seems I have to press several buttons every time I open this eq to get to a starting point which also impacts my workflow. Is there a way to have a default profile when first opening it in Cubase?
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
I also wish that new instances would open with the analyzer on. It seems I have to press several buttons every time I open this eq to get to a starting point which also impacts my workflow. Is there a way to have a default profile when first opening it in Cubase?
You can save any settings in your Default preset. Analyzer settings are stored too. For example for SlickEQ GE I always have it set default to mono, analyzer visible and on, Japanese mode (it's the sharpest and allows me to find frequencies quickly).

Right click on presets selection box (in SlickEQ) and "Save As Default State".
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the tip Vladg. That helps tremendously to save default state. Tested it in Adobe Audition and recall was correct.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Maniac

On a related note, I love finding the target frequency, flipping through the different modes, and letting my ears guide me on what sounds best (rather than continuously tweaking Q and level as on other EQs). I was mastering a podcast and needed to cut from the upper mids to reduce harshness due to distortion, and after quickly auditioning all 5, Soviet was the clear winner for cleaning up those frequencies. Only took a couple minutes.
Old 30th October 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggysane View Post
On a related note, I love finding the target frequency, flipping through the different modes, and letting my ears guide me on what sounds best (rather than continuously tweaking Q and level as on other EQs). I was mastering a podcast and needed to cut from the upper mids to reduce harshness due to distortion, and after quickly auditioning all 5, Soviet was the clear winner for cleaning up those frequencies. Only took a couple minutes.
Sometimes "Soviet" mode reminds me Pultec MID-500, which is pretty good for voices. But this similarity was just coincidence.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search